• Michael and The Corsican like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 sonzor

sonzor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the post HookerRoad it is very informative and I learned a lot. Personally I like to know how my smoke was made and with what chemicals. Same with my water, and food I eat. In my grows I make all my own food for the plants,well I help nature make the food but you know what I mean. So I am sure what is in it and where it came from. It seems to be working out just fine. Sure it take a lot of trial and error and work but is that not half the fun of growing plants and food. Thanks again.. Very very nice

#28 Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hey Guys, I am a new grower and have tried to do my homework, but I had no clue that hydro had to be chemical. I am doing my first grow hydro/organic out of ignorance. I am organic in my vegitable and flower gardens as well as my fruit and nut orchard so it was natural just to make up all of my nutes with organic tea from compost, wormcastings, bone and blood meal. So far my two ladies are looking OK with great buds forming lots of white hairs. I have been concerned about my fan leaves yellowing but many of you comforted me and gave good advice as a result of my post. So what is the deal? Can I do this hydro/organic or not? Peace

#29 Michael

Michael

Asshat Extrordinaire

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2339 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:01 PM

So what is the deal?
Can I do this hydro/organic or not?

It sounds like you already are! drums.gif

#30 HookerRoad

HookerRoad

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hey Guys,
I am a new grower and have tried to do my homework, but I had no clue that hydro had to be chemical. I am doing my first grow hydro/organic out of ignorance.
I am organic in my vegitable and flower gardens as well as my fruit and nut orchard so it was natural just to make up all of my nutes with organic tea from compost, wormcastings, bone and blood meal.
So far my two ladies are looking OK with great buds forming lots of white hairs. I have been concerned about my fan leaves yellowing but many of you comforted me and gave good advice as a result of my post.
So what is the deal?
Peace

Hydro/organic is quickly becoming in style. I'm not sure there is truly such a thing. The way the roots absorb nutes in hydro is unnatural. The plant is like any other living thing... it wants to survive so it does the best it can with what its got. Soil helps the plants produce its food the way it was created to. With hydro it is forced to absorb what you give it. In soil the plant can take what it needs... provided what it needs is in the soil.
  • Ben Jammin likes this

#31 Richard Owl Mirror

Richard Owl Mirror

Teaching to grow

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Hey Guys,

So what is the deal?
Peace

YouTube - Hydroponic Versus Organic Marijuana Commercial Interview - Comedy

#32 sonzor

sonzor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hey Guys,
I am a new grower and have tried to do my homework, but I had no clue that hydro had to be chemical. I am doing my first grow hydro/organic out of ignorance.
I am organic in my vegitable and flower gardens as well as my fruit and nut orchard so it was natural just to make up all of my nutes with organic tea from compost, wormcastings, bone and blood meal.
So far my two ladies are looking OK with great buds forming lots of white hairs. I have been concerned about my fan leaves yellowing but many of you comforted me and gave good advice as a result of my post.
So what is the deal?
Peace

I am not so sure how you would do your hydro with your organic tea. I know that the tea starts to turn after a few day but maybe you know something I don't. I don't think it can really be called natural or organic unless it was in soul. But I am pretty sure there are healthy ways to do it. Maybe way you are know. I would be careful with the tea going bad but if it works for you more power to you. I know they do have lots of Hydro nutes they call organic and I know lots of hydro gardeners call there buts organic cause they use the so called organic nutes. Anyway if works it works. Good luck with your grow..

#33 6951A

6951A

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

the easiest way to do hydro organic in my opinion, is to use a soiless medium. Like for example a combination of sphagnum peatmoss and perlite (60/40), or another favorite would be coco coir. Simply water with your prefered organic nutrient once you have established a colony of beneficial bacteria. Mixes like HP Promix come precolonized. As far as Jason King's extremely biased views against mineral based nutrients, a good grower should find they can achieve near identicle results with either an organic or inorganic form of nutrients. In the end the plant is receiving the same basic building blocks with which to do its job. I grow using about 75% organic 25% inorganic nutrients, that's my preference, I think its easiest to grow using both.
  • OrangeSkunk likes this

#34 Guest_tyrone bigms_*

Guest_tyrone bigms_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

amen brutha

#35 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

For the lazy gardener go with soil. It is also more forgiving of mistakes.

#36 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21553 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

bump

#37 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

Bunk on the organic being better then hydro.. once again not noting that a npk molecule is a npk molecule no mater how it gets there. the plant does not know the diff and its the same npk no mater if man refines it from rock or if bacteria brakes it down.. in organics you feed the soil in hydro u feed the plant.. no mater were ya get the food the plant can only take it up in the same form..as for taste i have had terrible organic and i have had bad hydro.. more the growing, flushing and curing then the food imho.. i have put my hydro up to many organic grows and many have switched over .. all i can say is what ever works for ya theirs no wrong method just what works best for you...
  • Bueller, KnuckleDragger, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#38 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=8Zqe4ZV9LDs

http://youtu.be/8Zqe4ZV9LDs

Edited by xxPeacePipexx, 04 September 2014 - 07:28 AM.

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger and Bong like this

#39 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2251 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

i'm with KaK all the way hydro is far superior imo, with hydro you get out what you put in and if you put your time and attention into hydro there is no comparison. but thats just my opinion :P

Bong

• Bueller, KaK and KnuckleDragger like this

#40 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

to cool.. these tests have been coming up all over same results.. the big thing for organics is pesticides and herbicides .. have been as long as i was farming on a food farm....
  • Bueller and KnuckleDragger like this

#41 OrangeSkunk

OrangeSkunk

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

i think indoors hydro makes the most sense and is much easier to control.

real organics needs a real environment, the whole food web... thats hard to do inside.

and i think there is communication between the microbes and the plant and the break down of material to feed the plant. its a beautiful thing.

with that said, i think organics makes more sense for sustainability reasons and the practice makes me feel better about the produce i'm consuming.

#42 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

i think indoors hydro makes the most sense and is much easier to control.

real organics needs a real environment, the whole food web... thats hard to do inside.
and i think there is communication between the microbes and the plant and the break down of material to feed the plant. its a beautiful thing.
with that said, i think organics makes more sense for sustainability reasons and the practice makes me feel better about the produce i'm consuming.

tell us why please..when all the tests have proved there is no diff in nutrition value and taste, and that rock salts are pure and dont cause e coli like organics.. i need scientific proof. not this old song and dance folk lore myth.. you have to look at the science.. please do remember all your life you have been eating non organic food 90% of the time as the whole nation for many decades .. huh most the world has.. taste tests have also proved the theory wrong... the main diff is the price and work load as we all know.. and how you get to the same spot both ways but in a diff way.. same same same .. feed plant or feed soil same freaking molecule they absorb.. bottom line. please do some research on the plants root system needs and how they work .. these organic vrs synthetic is just like a cult.. reminds me when compound bows came out and the re curve guys would say that's not bow hunting and there way is more holy then them.. also the EU is gonna give the hydro nutes a organic status.. so in time they will both be organic... dam they both come from the ground ... one is just refined and sterile.. one is not .. you know which isnt.. i wipe the shit off my shoes at the door . i dont bring it in my house.. could give many more points but just talking on deff ears with this even though i grew up on a food farm all my growing up years.. what do folks think the plant is taking up from organics that makes the taste better??? norm i dont get into this much but im ready for answers so lets go with this and see were we land..

Edited by KaK, 07 September 2014 - 09:23 AM.

• Bueller and KnuckleDragger like this

#43 OrangeSkunk

OrangeSkunk

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

i made no claims on nutrition, flavor, or taste.  

my argument for organics are for how the practice is more favorable to keeping land sustainable, where i could very well be full of shit.

i am not arguing about the outcome of the plant, but the effect on its environment and subsequent growth.

from what ive been told,

chemical nutes can kill microbes in soil where as in organics you work to maintain an ecosystem (sustainable).

P is heavy and dumping tons of it onto your plant can remain in the soil and become hard to remove

i am in no way well versed in this subject, and there are probably better points to be made or none at all... but those are two examples im offering for the sake of discussion.

if your claim that chemical nutes have the exact same environmental impact as organic practices is correct, then i am all for chem nutes.

but as far as i understand, the practice of organics is better for the environment (inclusive of other organisms) is why i choose to continue to support organic farmers when i buy produce.

i have nothing against using chem nutes for hydro, thats exactly what i do... mostly naturally derived, or "organic tea in a bottle"...

#44 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

oh i agree with ya more then you think on this and on the soil harm so not arguing with ya just putting facts out and would love some solid facts on the other side is all.. were good bro.. but if there gonna be trying to keep up with demand and still grow the same way they dont need bacteria to produce the food .. so as long as it stays farm land no problem.. and im sure if they stopped farming it for a while they would repopulate the ground again in a while.. this is in fun and learning.. to me both ways are good as long as your doing them right. i referee dwc more for the less work now.. and my wife hates organic for some reason lol.. and like they say women have more taste buds then men. so who am i to argue hehehehe.. remember debating is not fighting but learning bro..
  • Bueller, KnuckleDragger and OrangeSkunk like this

#45 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

and yes chemmys used in corn fields is diff then the rock salts we use for hydro and indoor. as there already in the ground just ground up and purified to be used by the plant..

#46 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

In all honesty I believe that the reason why most of todays homegrown pot sucks is due to genetics as well as growers error .  Breeding high grade Cannabis is not that simple due to the recessive nature of the drug type and the dominant fiber phenotype.  Nature along with human selection kept us blessed through the centuries providing us with Land Races for our current hybridized gene pool and again I reiterate human intervention was and is the key between rope and dope  .  

Ever buy brick weed and get that lucky bail or brick ? All from the same field and of the same type,  but low and behold there was often that one brick or bail or even portion that contained something hyper potent compared to the rest .. This is how it all began in the beginning and must continue - selection , selection and more selection :)

I often grow genetics from all over the world and time again I am let down .. Best Analogy would be : It is like searching threw mounds of change looking for those old coins that were actually made from valuable material . Coins worth passing down and saving . Todays weed for the most part is like todays coins - worthless :(

• Bueller, KaK, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

#47 OrangeSkunk

OrangeSkunk

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

i think chem or organic are just too general of terms.

there are organic practices that are like why? we got way better tech... with chems we can control the type of nitrogen used by the plant, the amount of calcium it can uptake..

and a lot of chem practices are like why? thats dangerous or unnecessary because we have a great natural method...

i think peace pipe hit it on the nose though, its more about the grower... his ability to cultivate an environment for the plant to express itself and the know how to select for traits that are desirable is what leads to great cannabis.

#48 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

true true ... more just have to open there mind and relay just learn the plant more so..

#49 thinkinaloud

thinkinaloud

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Using DWC, How often and length of flushing during Flower? In order to improve taste, interested in introducing a dry period(s) for the roots during flower. Ideas? Organics.. old myth. Nothing like tasting bat guano in the high end buds. Nope Nope and Nope

#50 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21553 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Using DWC, How often and length of flushing during Flower? In order to improve taste, interested in introducing a dry period(s) for the roots during flower. Ideas? Organics.. old myth. Nothing like tasting bat guano in the high end buds. Nope Nope and Nope

I would just go with 7-10 days of just water to flush DWC.

• Bueller and KaK like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users