- - - - -

New Hydro Unit W/ Toro Lawn Sprinklers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

I built a new[new to me] hydro sytem useing toro lawn sprinklers. I bought 2 54 gallon totes at HD along w/ four toro sprinklers. Drill a hole in each end of the tote where the two totes meet, a hole big enough for whatever size pipe u use, I used half inch. With pvc I put two toro[2.95 each] sprinklers in each tote. You can adjust the water flow on these sprinklers from mist to knock the top off the tote. The totes sit on a frame I built, the water comes back out drains I put in the bottoms of each tote and back into the nute bucket to be recycled again. I have my 5 gallon nute bucket under the totes so the water will drain straight down. I also placed some plastic mesh over the drains to keep them free from clogs. Thes sprinklers are not likely to stop up because of the water flow rate and I also put my pump in a stocking. I've had this system running for 2 days and the girls seem to love it. This has helped greatly in keeping the water at the right temps as it is moving at all times and you can put a bottle of frozen water in the nute bucket to regulate temps.{I have'nt had to add any yet.} I have the nute bucket in an enclosure so it does'nt reach the room temp. I'm sure this can be improved as we all have our own little secrets etc... so please speak on it if you come up w/ something that can improve this system. I also used threaded fitting so I can disassemble unit w/o having to cut the pipes, this will help in case these sprinklers do stop up. All you have to do is un-screw them for cleaning and maintenance. Put the sprinklers in the very bottom of tote..I tried half way up and had water coming out everywhere no leaks when they were moved to the bottom.

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

Well you have my attention,what size pump you got running them heads.You have to post some pixs.I want to see.I grow vegs outside that you eat.The brids and the squirrels eat more than me,so I'am building a shade house and want to grow hydro vegs in it.Your project has got me thinking,I could use those sprinkler heads in my setup.Your setup sounds good and I dont see anything you have forgot to do.Keep up the good work Bro.PEACE

#3 the.fatman.cometh

the.fatman.cometh

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

Sounds sick brudda, how thick is the mist?

#4 the.fatman.cometh

the.fatman.cometh

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

And, are you gonna do a journal using this?

#5 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

And, are you gonna do a journal using this?

Guys, I have the equipment to post pics but can't get it to work for some reason...could be stupidity...lol Really, I don't know how to use it...Anyone wann'a call and walk me through the process?

Toke....this will be perfect for your cause...instead of a tote build a wood frame...do the bottom and sides w/ black bisquine...use styrofoam for your top w/ whatever size holes...your roots hang down inside the water area inside the bisquine...doing it this way gives you the optition of whatever size u need. u can go two, four, ever how many sprinklers u need. I drew the plans today but have'nt used this yet but it works on the same principle. I'm, pretty sure the pump is 265 gall.

Fatman...u can adjust your mist w/ the sprinkler itsself. u tighten or loosen the pressure w/ the head....from fine droplets to pounding rain..
I mopped up about five gallons when I first put them halfway up.. :-)

#6 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

This sounds like a monster...how cool. It's gonna ve cool to see what it can do.

#7 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:51 PM

This sounds like a monster...how cool. It's gonna ve cool to see what it can do.

u know how we do the wawa giggles...we gonn'a come up w/ something that works...one day..lol It's really looking good so far, as u know I'm having to bring some that got :shoot:back from the dead...but I can see the difference. Fatman ogt me on this areo kick...got three now and I'm amazed at how beautiful they are.

On the above system I have two round air stones being pushed by a neblulizer in the nute bucket

#8 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:02 AM

1, I don't understand the nebulizer and it's function. I don;t know what a nebulizer is.
AND
2, WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA! I know the man personally who retired from his job and designed the BUBBLEPONICS system several years ago. It is designed to do a very small sea of green in a small STEALTH place, although many, (like me) grow monster plants in it. This year he got the trademark and patent on BUBBLEPONICS and he sells dozens of units a day! Multi-dozens every day! You might be on the door steps of the next generation or evolution of HYDRO Growing Systems and be a millionaire this time next year. Think about it, your idea is simply genius! You could build ad market it! Did you think of it yourself or see it somewhere else or what?

#9 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

1, I don't understand the nebulizer and it's function. I don;t know what a nebulizer is.
AND
2, WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA! I know the man personally who retired from his job and designed the BUBBLEPONICS system several years ago. It is designed to do a very small sea of green in a small STEALTH place, although many, (like me) grow monster plants in it. This year he got the trademark and patent on BUBBLEPONICS and he sells dozens of units a day! Multi-dozens every day! You might be on the door steps of the next generation or evolution of HYDRO Growing Systems and be a millionaire this time next year. Think about it, your idea is simply genius! You could build ad market it! Did you think of it yourself or see it somewhere else or what?

Roseman,

I come up w/ all this stuff myself. I am retired and have been truly blessed by the Lord so I have time to tinker around. I was raised on a farm and have always had gardens just like your folks did. I just think about different ways to do things. Like the cool tube issuse where u added the link..I had never seen that link, only saw one on ebay..and I was'nt about to pay that price.(thanks for the link..I was albe to make mine more versitale w/ that info}
I bought some stuff from stealth wanted to see how they worked. Still got 2 if u know anyone..I have the same deal w/ areo you have w/ stealth.
Nebulizers are used for breathing treatments, VM probably has one. They push a bunch of air..if my five gallon bucket is 3/4 full it will put water on the floor at full pressure.
What I'm really doing is trying to build a system for optiminum performance..in water air and lights. It's truly a job to try and get everything right all at the same time..ie..water, air, temp, hum,co2,light
the whole nine yards. If I can assist u in anyway please do not hesitate to contact me & hopefully vice-versa!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users