Humulus lupulus - Project

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:53 AM

Higha!

Feeling quite "at home" at this side, i want to introduce my next project to you. Back in the late 70´s i read a little book (got it from a friend and unfortunately lost it meanwhile) published by the cia :D/>..., the topic was about how to graft Cannabis sativa subsp. indica upon Humulus lupulus (hop)
I did some research since a couple of days, even there is not that much to find the idea is growing in my head like the ladies on my balcony..., could you imagine that? I just want to quote one sentence i found:"Recently, counterculture entrepreneurs have apparently succeeded in grafting hops tops on marihuana bottoms and getting a "heady hop".
And considering that hop is a very common plant in my country.....
Well, at least i know what to do with my marihuana bottoms when harvesting!

Anyone of you here with some knowledge about that????

...to be continued...

Peace, Martin

Attached Files

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

Sounds interesting. But is it possible?

#3 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

you want to let hop cover up your sativa plant or what, i'm totally lost:D besides, i got hop all over my fron yard and this stuff is the pest if you not happen to brew beer:D

#4 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

Higha!

you want to let hop cover up your sativa plant

Yep, exactly that! I´ve been "on the road" that weekend, i met a friend who is a studies biologist, he is not sure, the grafted hop will produce thc, but he said it might work. Surfing the www i found some statements, some say it works, some not. So i will try and see myself...

Peace, Martin

Attached Files

#5 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

Higha!

This is one of the more interesting informations i found, well, doesn´t sound that positiv to my attempts, but i will try and see myself....

Peace, Martin

Grafting

Intergeneric grafts between Cannabis and Humulus (hops) have fascinated researchers and cultivators for decades. Warmke and Davidson (1943) claimed that Humbles tops grafted upon Cannabis roots produced ". . . as much drug as leaves from intact hemp plants, even though leaves from intact hop plants are completely nontoxic." According to this research, the active ingredient of Cannabis was being produced in the roots and transported across the graft to the Humulus tops. Later research by Crombie and Crombie (1975) entirely disproves this theory. Grafts were made between high and low THC strains of Cannabis as well as intergeneric grafts between Cannabis and Humulus, Detailed chromatographic analysis was performed on both donors for each graft and their control populations. The results showed ". . . no evidence of transport of inter mediates or factors critical to cannabinoid formation across the grafts."

Grafting of Cannabis is very simple. Several seedlings can be grafted together into one to produce very interesting specimen plants. One procedure starts by planting one seed ling each of several separate strains close together in the same container, placing the stock (root plant) for the cross in the center of the rest. When the seedlings are four weeks old they are ready to be grafted. A diagonal cut is made approximately half-way through the stock stem and one of the scion (shoot) seedlings at the same level. The cut portions are slipped together such that the inner cut surfaces are touching. The joints are held with a fold of cellophane tape. A second scion from an adjacent seedling may be grafted to the stock higher up the stem. After two weeks, the unwanted portions of the grafts are cut away. Eight to twelve weeks are needed to complete the graft, and the plants are maintained in a mild environment at all times. As the graft takes, and the plant begins to grow, the tape falls off.

#6 Kieahtoka

Kieahtoka

Neo Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

I'd like to keep track of this one.

#7 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:44 PM

Higha!

This is one of the more interesting informations i found, well, doesn´t sound that positiv to my attempts, but i will try and see myself....

Peace, Martin

i can't belief this one but i gonna try it now anyway, enough of both around my yard:D

#8 Arrid

Arrid

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

This is an interesting idea.
Will be keeping a watch.

#9 Roseman

Roseman

Teaching to grow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

in the late 70S ???? wow, a real ole hippy. I'm 58 today, soon to be 59, how old are you?

#10 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

............how old are you?

Higha!

..uh.., wait..., ...uh..., 48!

Peace, Martin

#11 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

i can't belief this one but i gonna try it now anyway, enough of both around my yard:D

higha!

Please, do that! ... and if you don´t mind reporting from time to time??? Maybe with pics? There are different techniques to do grafting, i will start with the stems of my plants, right after harvesting, i already ordered a few matured hop plants. Although i am not that hopeful to succsess, i will have a lot of fun!party time

Peace, Martin

#12 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

..dude, sad news. my attempt died, checked it today and it was sitting there dried up in still moist soil and it ain't was root rot.... so my guess it is either too advanced for me still or ain't working at all....

or as the dude might express it better for me...

#13 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

bump......

#14 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

..dude, sad news. .....

Higha!

Thanks for report! But, as "The Dude" expresses, have fun with all you do, no matter what they say.

Peace, Martin

#15 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:59 PM

any progress on this project here besides my failure, hack that is no reason to quiet, i'm blessed with the bonny thumb and not the green one, mine isn't even a black so dead it is:wink:

#16 the.fatman.cometh

the.fatman.cometh

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

..dude, sad news. my attempt died, checked it today and it was sitting there dried up in still moist soil and it ain't was root rot.... so my guess it is either too advanced for me still or ain't working at all....

or as the dude might express it better for me...

Maybe I'm a little high, but as crude as it was, that was pretty funny clip, GN!

#17 Guest_lumberjack_ian_*

Guest_lumberjack_ian_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

see how i would do it... get a nicely grown out hops plant... graft a few clipping from a mother cannibis plant... let heal, put out to flower inn your yard... have them semi hidden... i dunno... its legal to grow hops, maybe nobody would notice...

#18 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

hey verwegener, anything going on this project still, any success so far, anything so far??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users