• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#26 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

Getahead your girls are looking great.You are doing a good job with them.Better tie them down as you just started flowering.They will want to reach for the light at the start of flowering.Keep it up, Peace

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

I hear thee! Yesterday afternoon, I lowered the lighting hood until it was a couple of inches from the tops. THIS MORNING when I went out to snoop, the tops were pressing against the bottom glass!

#28 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:36 PM

Whee! After two days 12/12 and the signs of fur appear! Day 30: 28 days veg; 2 days flower

Attached Files

• Attached File  2w.jpg   82.96KB   37 downloads
  • Attached File  4w.jpg   34.19KB   36 downloads

#29 freetolive

freetolive

Lifetime Learner

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1539 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

That is a very nice setup! Those plants are going to be very very nice. Peace.

#30 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

nice setup. you even have a drain right there on the floor! *jealous* looks like you have plenty of space in there, you might want to spread the plants out to makes sure some of the side leaves get light too

#31 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

They look great! You have a huge carbon scrubber! Are you working on growing a field? LOL! You will do well. Peace

#32 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Thanks to all. It has been a very fun and lesson-filled exercise thus far. LOL on the charcoal filter. I had originally planned to grow about 18 plants and figured I'd need this size filter, based on what I'd read. Subsequently, and for a variety of reasons, I decided to do four as a first try. Overkill to be sure, but I am hoping the filter will be good for at least one more grow. Yes, DA, I will be moving the plants apart, gradually as the light hood rises, as you make a very good point.

#33 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

That size scrubber will last you for years I bet you. I do not think you will need to replace it for a very long time. IMHO!

#34 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

I must add that I am very blessed with a nearly perfect place to establish a grow room - a former pool shed beside the house with a drained, concrete floor, fully plumbed, and with two AC outlets, each on separate 20A breakers. Too, living in the Bay Area, the combination of climate and time of year are outstanding. Temps are roughly 60's days and upper 40's nights. So, a simple, small dairy heater keeps the space in the high 70's-low 80's days and 55-65 at night. Further, my 12/12 lighting is setup to be dark between 6:30pm-6:30am, so keeping light out of the grow room is EASY. Makes a huge difference to not have to fight some of the elements that others face.

#35 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

That size scrubber will last you for years I bet you. I do not think you will need to replace it for a very long time. IMHO!

Thanks. I have heard widely and WILDLY differing estimates of how long these Phat filters last. Even the company gives a mixed response. Maybe some can comment on for how many hours their filters remained effective. I understand that area cleaned, flow rate, etc. make a big difference - and life would vary accordingly. I have used ventilation fans before, but never in conjunction with a filter.

#36 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

Hey Getahead That filter is a good one.You need to get a dust cover for it.There like furnace filters.They help keep the dust out and from cloding the filter.The filter yo have will last 12 to 18 months.18 mos. under meduim duty and 12 mos.under heavy duty.You got a sweet spot for a grow room that's for sure.If you plan on doing 18 plants you will need another light to give all them the light they need.Good job. Peace

#37 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

Obliged, TC. Never seen filters for these filters. :) Wondering if something like an old nylon stocking would do. I'm figuring it has to be fine enough to sieve the dust but open enough to allow airflow.

#38 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

Obliged, TC. Never seen filters for these filters. :) Wondering if something like an old nylon stocking would do. I'm figuring it has to be fine enough to sieve the dust but open enough to allow airflow.

Good luck finding stockings that size, Getahead!

#39 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

you can try wrapping it in duct/air filter sheets. you can get them at the home depot or local hardware store. i got some clamps and wrapped mine in the sheets since one of my filters was too big. its comes in a3ft long roll, its about 1/5th maybe 1/6th an inch thick. mine has blue filter material on one side and white on the other.

#40 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

you can try wrapping it in duct/air filter sheets. you can get them at the home depot or local hardware store. i got some clamps and wrapped mine in the sheets since one of my filters was too big. its comes in a3ft long roll, its about 1/5th maybe 1/6th an inch thick. mine has blue filter material on one side and white on the other.

I know what you're referring to DA, and it is a fine idea. This filter is 2 feet long and a foot in diameter, so I will go the cheapest effective route. Always a reason to stop for something on the way home!

#41 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

Good luck finding stockings that size, Getahead!

Well, I was figuring on something using a wrapping method, since even I know that an extra-queen size wouldn't go the full length, sheer route when the "leg" is shaped like a cannon barrel.
  • freetolive likes this

#42 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

Even a rectangle, the size of the filter, with one seam will work sweetie. I was being a smart ass! LOL! Sorry. And if you cannot sew, I bet duck tape would hold it on. Just tape the seam rather than sew it. Or pin it. Try finding a sheer curtain, cheap and cheerful, from wallmart, or a second hand store like Goodwill or Salvation army. Look in the curtain dept.

#43 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

I went to the site, and did a search and the sites with covers could not be navigated to. Here is the Phat Filters site, see if they have any idea about these. Looks like the manufacturer does not sell them, but I could be wrong.

#44 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

They sell them, I see, but not in that size, that I can further see. I'll figure something.

#45 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Anyone know how to get rid of the silly animated bong from under my screen name?

#46 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:02 PM

Anyone know how to get rid of the silly animated bong from under my screen name?

Yes, dear. You go to the Private Messages part (Upper right corner) click it, and then it says on your left, "Edit profile" and "Edit Picture" you can add your own avatar if you can get it small enough or there are other ones you can choose.

Peace

#47 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

Please call me when trying out a new bud, but please don't call me dear, unless you want me to call you baby. :) Tried that and it says no image specified, or something to that effect - though that damn thing keeps showing up along with the old poster that is supposed to be my avatar. I will try a different venue for the question.

#48 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

Knocking on the door of 6 weeks now. Things are looking fairly well. The plants are increasingly taking a lot more water. We have been getting right down there a few mornings lately (credit card frost), so I had to begin leaving the dairy heater on 24/7. Here are some pictures. Sorry for the overkill, but I am mesmerized by my first grown flowers of this kind! :Greetings from GP: Plus, I haven't had my macro lens out in awhile. I plan to ask this in a separate thread, but maybe someone will see it here and not elsewhere. I ask you to look at the last couple of pics which show leaf edges. The yellowing occurs only on a few larger leaves (like 4 or 5 leaves) in the middle part of three of the four plants. On all plants there are several more curled leaf tips. I just started to see this a couple of days ago. My first suspicion is magnesium deficiency. I do use city water which is left to sit at least 24 hours before using, but I also know that there is excess calcium in my water (though the pH tests fine). Today, when I had a chance, I whirled 2TBS of epsom salts in 2-gallons of water and applied in a very fine mist with a dedicated pump sprayer. I am hoping this works but does anyone else come up with a different diagnosis. I ruled out heat stress due to various reasons and I think the FoxFarms stuff would be supplying all but trace minerals. I would hate to think that I have a nute lock, so I will have to dust off my Kel tester tonight. The Purps: Day 41: 28 days veg.; 13 days flower

Attached Files

#49 freetolive

freetolive

Lifetime Learner

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1539 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

Really, nice pics! Looks like to much N to me... Someone else may have a better diagnosis :Greetings from GP: Peace.

#50 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

Thanks. Photography is a bit of a serious hobby, but I really haven't used good equipment until these. I notice that I forgot to include of any of the leaves that had obvious yellowing (there aren't that many yet), but it can sorta be seen in a mild form between the veins in leaves in the one picture where there is more browning at the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users