171 replies to this topic

#1 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Not so long ago, and after getting medically approved, I found that herbal treatment for chronic back pain was beneficial for me. Not wanting to be on the wrong side of the law at any time, and not wanting to spend the dough asked at the local, legal dispensary, I decided to grow me own - for me own use and for me own use, only.

As a first start, I decided to buy four clones of "The Purps" variety from a dispensary in the Bay Area (CA). If this first grow does well, I will probably go for an eight-plant grow next time (and will take new clones from The Purps). Recall that I am growing for my own medicinal purposes only, I never have and never will sell, and do not need the huge yields that some seek.

I converted an unused pool house shed next to my house. I am lucky in that it is plumbed and has a concrete floor with drain. I rigged a 600W fixture and using a fan sucking air through the light fixture and a Phat charcoal filter. I use small reciprocating fan for air circulation. In this area and climate this time of year allows me to use a very small dairy heater to keep the space 70-80 during the day and 55-60 at night. I water and feed using a 2 gal. spray tank and am following the FoxFarm schedule and product.

Here are some pictures of when I first set the clones. I will post twice more to bring you up to speed on how the plants can be currently viewed. Then, I will try to post pics once a week until after harvest.

Also recall that this is my first they so, while I appreciate all constructive comments, donít mistake me for an expert that SHOULD do better. In other words, be kind. Posted Image

Attached Files

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

Here are the same plants at 14 days (will try to always include the same single plant as the first pic in the row).

Attached Files

#3 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

Here we are at Day 21 (in my best Jackie Vernon voice for those who remember him). :) I am thinking of going to 12/12 lighting in about one week.

Attached Files

#4 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

WOW! They look just great. Looks like you have other plants as well. Tell me about them. I know some growers swear by those bags for grows. If you have any questions or need any information, just post it here, I will help you all I can. To see my early struggles take a look at the link in the signature, My Little Grow, what not to do! Nice healthy little girls you have there. You are fortunate to be able to start with sexed clones. Girls are guarenteed. ...and there is no need to be kind, you are doing just great! Good luck! Peace Peace

#5 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

Thanks, jangel. Things look good so far, but I am still keeping my fingers crossed. I am debating as to when I should start 12/12. Opinions? Oh, the other plants are temporary visitors - three hydrangea bushes that I am trying to save.

#6 GSR

GSR

Medicinal Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

Getahead, Your plants are looking great, I have grown that strain before, with good success. I let mine get to about 18". I also topped them early to create a bushier plant. The smoke was very good, good and tasty. North bay here, S.R. GSR

#7 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

If you brought those in from outside, I do hope you checked them well to make sure you did not bring in any "wild life". That can be a major problem with an inside grow and hard to get rid of once you have critters, ask me, I still have fungas gnats from the fall. I KNOW. darn it. One other thing, how far is that light from your plants? You can get it closer I think with good results. Just put your hand in between the light and the plant. Find that spot where it is warm but not uncomfortable, usually about 12 to 20 inches from the light, and put your plants there, but do it slowly so you do not burn them. like a couple inches a day or so. Your growth will get thicker and healthier. and greener. What are you feeding those babies? Let me know I will give you some help if you need it. Forgive me if you already posted it! must be a stoner! Peace

#8 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

Here are a few more - Day 27. On Friday, after I've gorged and everyone has gone, Im going to switch over to 12/12 lighting and switch out the halide bulb. These babies are going much better than even I had hoped, so I am basically keeping my fingers crossed and hoping not to screw up somewherw. :sorry:

Attached Files

#9 Nimbliez

Nimbliez

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:37 PM

Welcome to GP GetAhead, I'm a hydro type myself. Jangel is the goddess of soil, you'll never go wrong with her input. Your grow looks outstanding, keep up the good work. Nim

#10 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

You are a natural! I have often found that gardeners are just natural at growing great pot. They understand the need for specific culture for a plant, and have an instinct about what to do for many problems. I think you fit into this categoray as already you are showing much skill. You are doing phenomenal. Good for you. If you need us, just shout, but do it loud, as sometimes we are hard of listening! PEACE! P.S. and screwing up teaches us more than doing everything perfectly, 9 times ouf of ten!

#11 freetolive

freetolive

Lifetime Learner

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1539 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, after re-reading... Those are very nice for day 27! Keep us posted, please. Peace.

#12 Guest_Got Humboldt?_*

Guest_Got Humboldt?_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

Just be steady with the Fox Farm line of nutes... just remember to use less than more, and to go up in stages to detect the plants needs and to not go over board. The grow looks good. Check early and often for mites, and if you haven't been spraying for bugs... do it now. Get some neem, and some organocide. Its better to spray and not need it, than to not spray and then have a problem. If you flip friday you can effectively spray up to the 20th day of bloom. So every three days (as that timing coincides with egg hatching and developement of mites). You spray the neem twice in 7 days and then spray with another insecticide/fungicide, to keep the mites from building up a resistance. I am a proactive grower, get them before they get you, and every one gets got at some point, mostly from having a lax or lazy demeanor because they had a good grow and think its always gonna be that easy... Good luck.

#13 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

A very simple solution that keeps bugs away from my plants is the Hot Shotz strip. Its only $6-8, can be found at any local Lowes or Home Depot, and works for 3 months in one room. If bugs ever do get bad (which I havent had a problem with YET) - I have backup sprays like organocide. Looking good, keep it up!

#14 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

Thanks to all for the kind words and advice. I am especially grateful for the suggestions of pest control as, while I don't have a problem now, it is something I need to be better prepared to address quickly. Something seemingly passive like that strip sounds like a good idea. I am not afraid to spray, if need be, but I no longer do it as a matter of course. It can be risky since it can be too late when pests are SEEN, but I'm not really out anything but time and a few bucks if I they would get bit. Better in the end to have never sprayed, provided I get lucky. I will keep posting if there is interest. As an aside, I about laughed my arse off at eht avatar of DiaBetic. Struck me damn funny. :sorry: Hello I'm Baked HA

#15 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

A very simple solution that keeps bugs away from my plants is the Hot Shotz strip. Its only $6-8, can be found at any local Lowes or Home Depot, and works for 3 months in one room. If bugs ever do get bad (which I havent had a problem with YET) - I have backup sprays like organocide. Looking good, keep it up!

DieAbetic, tell me more about this! Do you just make them hot and leave them in the grow? how do they work? Do you use just one, small one or large? This is a great idea. and if it works

Hallalulia!

#16 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1676 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

Hot Shotz strips are simple the Hot Shot home insect solution (the spray bottle one) put into a soap-like bar. You open it up and it has a bit of a strange smell, you can get a little headache if you are breathing it in alot when it is first opened. It uses an odorless vapor to keep bugs away, and you can put it in an office, closet, or *grow room* for 4 months (I usually just keep mine for 3). One unit will treat 900-1200 cu. ft. It says not to keep it near any "living spaces" like a bedroom or kitchen. This is my first line of defense against the bug army, and it has worked well for me so far. I have backup bug organocide spray if needed, but I havent never had to use it. They come in one size.

Hot Shot :: No-Pest Strip - 5580

Attached Files

Edited by DieAbetic, 28 November 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#17 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

I have to laugh, Die. I thought you meant the hot shotz for your hands that you use to keep warm! ROTFLMAO! That looks like the vapona no pest strip but stronger. What stores can you get them at? Don't know that we could get them up here. Canada is pretty strict on that kind of stuff. Peace

#18 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

I recall when this type of strip was introduced in the 60's, man. Man, I don't get the chance to use the word "man" in that context much these days. :sorry: Anyway, the "do not use in living spaces" badge was missing on the very early models of these and some were, shall we say, problematically toxic, and resulted in some of the labeling laws to which DA refers. :sorry: Ortho Vapona Strips was a famous early one (still sold under the "Max" label) and Purina Feeds made a whole line for the farm and home (which unfortunately tended to be used interchangably). They were and are VERY effective in the proper setting. I am going to look into these particular ones since they appear to be based on a friendlier formula and I do like effective, passive controls. The idea of being headache forming is a bit of a concern since a typical indoor grow space is probably rather small and I spend maybe an hour a day in mine. OTOH, certain sprays likely cost far more problems insofar as a grower's than anything.

Edited by GetAhead, 28 November 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#19 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

As good as this works, I have had that headache feeling before, and will not use anything that has that. I have a friend that devloped breast cancer from working in just such a place. Is it worth it? I don't think so. I would advise caution for this. Sometimes I would rather have the bugs than the poison. IMHO! Peace

#20 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

As good as this works, I have had that headache feeling before, and will not use anything that has that. I have a friend that devloped breast cancer from working in just such a place. Is it worth it? I don't think so.

I would advise caution for this. Sometimes I would rather have the bugs than the poison. IMHO!

Peace

As much as such an intervention would seem easy and excitingly effective at first blush, and I am not saying this thing isn't, I'm with you, it never hurts to be cautious before application. I am hoping they are everything DA says (which I don't doubt) AND they are safe to use in my space. I will do the research to satisfy meself one way or the other and try to report if I find out anything significant.

Edited by GetAhead, 28 November 2008 - 11:50 AM.

#21 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

Tell youse what. Below is link to where one can view certain properties of the Hot Shot strip. Use it as you will and judge based on your own circumstances, setup, etc. There are many other sources, different than this link, that are similarly helpful in locating information about products - only a click or two away.

PAN Product Info for Hot shot no pest strip
  • freetolive likes this

#22 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

Thank you!!!!

My first instinct about this was right. I will not be using this.

Be careful anyone that does.

Life is more important that killing bugs.

No need to poison ourselves.

Peace
  • sandbreak likes this

#23 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

Perfectly understand and appreciate your sentiment, jangel. To be perfectly fair, however, and while I do not plan to use them in my grow, the product carries no EPA restricted use warning other than the "not in living space" as already noted by DA. Depending on the specific application and setting, a person might choose to use one, given that a grow space may or may not be a "living space" in the strictest sense. For instance, while I would not be inclined to use one in a bedroom closet grow or garage grow, a grow in a "shed out back" or some such may be a location that warrants its use. I do agree strongly that safety is paramount and a few bugs or wrecked plants is far, far preferrable to wrecked health and would add that ordinary product warnings are not always strictly reliable or necessarily complete.

#24 MrPig

MrPig

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:14 PM

these are beautiful, i have four hydro Afghans that are the same age, but yours are a good ways ahead of mine. im jealous. keep up with the pics and best of luck.

#25 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

Last night I went to 12/12 lighting. Today, since I had two plants that had grown taller, quicker than the other two, I took the advice in jangel's LST thread and went to work. Wound up using nylon cord and a bunch of eyelets and hooks I had left over from hanging stuff in the grow room. I basically just followed the directions on my two taller plants, using the hooks on one end of the cord, while I anchored the other end of the cord to the edge of the growing bag with a squeeze clamp. This worked great and has the added advantage of keeping all plants the same height - keeping my light fixture level and low. As the other two plants grow a bit, I will use the same method on them. Here are a few pics. Day 29: 28 days veg; 1 day flower

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users