15 replies to this topic

#1 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:07 PM

damn i found out i have fungus gnats, i thought the pindead spots on the leaves were spider mites...turns out their fungus gnats... i bought some gnatrol today, has anyone ever used it?

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

no but if you can get the highgrade hydrogen peroxide..mix it with you water an it will kill those bastards..peace

#3 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:08 AM

i hate those bitches, im pissed as hell, will this affect my yield?.. ...im 4 1/2 weeks into flowering btw..

#4 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

You need to use the Gnatrol every watering for at least 3 weeks....in ALL of your container plants...even your HOUSEPLANTS. They will migrate and then return if you don't do a TOTAL kill in your home. Shouldn't effect your yield bro. They mostly hit the lower leaves and I've not seen em do any damage to the bud. If they do fug yer yield it will be from ther larvae in the soil munching on the roots. However, the baccillus in the Gnatrol will get in the soil..the critters think its food and eat it..and it WASTES THEIR SORRY ASSES FROM THE INSIDE OUT. Yellow sticky traps will get the adults... or you can use yellow food coloring in some sugar water in a bowl or two to draw em in too. You need to get em all...if there are adults flying they are laying NEW eggs.... it's a cycle that must be broken to kill em. keep an eye out for mites too... ALWAYS. good luck btdt

#5 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

btdt, you said use every watering for 3 weeks, what if shes in a dwc bucket? should i add the correct amount directly into the resevoir? if so how often?

sorry if i'm being a pest but i cant stand the gnattys

#6 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

i bought some fungicide at walmart that worked wonders..both a spray and stuff that you put in the soil..a day later i didnt have them anymore..arent they annoying?

#7 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

yea i can't stand them!, just the idea of them squirming around in my roots gives me the eebie jeebies

#8 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

There's nothing harmful about the Gnatrol. I've never put it in a res..but if it doesn't foam..you should be Ok. I'd take some and put it in a gal milk jug and shake the crap out of it to see how it reacts when agitated/etc. No foam and I'd say yer good to go. yup..VERY annoying. btdt

#9 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 05:40 AM

Ive heard soapy water helps too. Never tried.....Just heard it works. I would think that you would get suds on the next watering.

How does soap NOT harm the plants? If anyone knows...an answer would be great.

#10 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:52 AM

I am also having a problem with gnats. I've tried the soapy water, while it helps, it dosent get rid of them completely. There population just keeps growing too! I've just ordered, Doktor Doom, which is a fogger, than as a preventive measure, I also purchased GoGnats, which you add to your waterings and/or your hydro buckets, if growing in hydro. GoGnats can also be used as a foliar spray.

#11 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hey Vid....I also read that if you are growing in soil...that submerging the pot underwater for 24 hours will kill all larvae in the soil.

Not sure how that would affect the plant. I wouldnt want to be the one to test it.

But Im battling the gnats too.

#12 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:16 AM

I put 2 mosquito dunks in a sock and hung it in my res 3 days ago. Last night I moved the hydroton around and saw no gnats flying.... so we shall see if we can end it all for em here soon. I think the cooler temperatures are also helping out...

#13 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:49 AM

grrrr, damn gnats, looks like im not alone, i read that august is the worst month for em....so hang on guys we're almost thru.. tomorrow my Gnatrol arrives so i can fry those larvae!!!!

#14 Guest_THE BEAR_*

Guest_THE BEAR_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:47 AM

ya i have been fighting those bastards for a month now..also they will live in your sink if they need to for a couple days to a week so make sure when you start your mass genocide that you pour some bleach down the sinks...also i have had great sucess from neem oil all organic mabee you should try it...

#15 *GreenPassion*

*GreenPassion*

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

Another method to get rid of gnats is, a one inch layer of gold sand at the bottom of your pot, your grow medium than a one inch layer of the same sand on top will prevent the fungus gnats from entering the soil and breeding.

#16 Guest_lumberjack_ian_*

Guest_lumberjack_ian_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

gold sand? whats that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users