30 replies to this topic

#1 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:01 PM

Some call it a RAPID ROOTER,I calls it a RAFT ROOTER... ITEMS NEEDED: 1-Styrofoam cooler(med size) 1- large air stone (I used a 12" in a 15" long container)1 stone per 12" width of container... 1-20gal or larger aquarium air pump 1-10' section of aquarium air tubing Cut the cooler to 6" deep using a hacksaw blade(steak knife) use the bottom of cooler to trace out your cut to the top(most coolers taper smaller towards the bottom){set cooler onto lid and trace around bottom with marker,and cut out,this is the raft part of the system} Then using a hacksaw blade cut evenly spaced slots on each side of the cut down lid (raft),allowing a 2" solid section in the center(this is crutial for stability)space the slots at least 2" apart and 2" from each end. It's not that hard,you dont have to be perfect,this isn't rocket science... I also add a wire tie at each end up thru the raft 1" in from edge(handles to pick it up by) Now your ready to set the airstone into the center of the cooler bottom and connect the tubing... I notched out a top corner to allow passage of air tube through corner... Attach tubing to air pump I keep air pump above the container to prevent water backing up thru the pump if power goes out... You wiil need to place a few rocks/stones around the air stone to keep it in place. Fill to 3" of water(I used 1.5 gals to make that level in my rooter and this is what I added to that water,3 drops SUPERTHRIVE and 1/4 tps of Green light Co. Root Stimulator/starter solution 5-15-5 liquid) I cut my clones at 45* angle just below a leaf node(note the hairs they are the roots,don't damage them) I dip into Green light Co. hormone powder and slide into a slot in the raft leaving at least 1" of stem below raft bottom... Repeat until the float is full(make sure to keep clones 2" apart) Plug in the air pump make sure you have good flow(see pic)... And set the raft down onto the water solution... Change water solution weekly and you should see root growth within 7-14 days... I used a different container than what I listed(I already had these) You can use any container you want just make sure no light gets thru to the roots... You don't have to cut the slots some people like holes(It hard to pull it back thru with roots) It really doesn't matter what you use as long as it's non-toxic,light proof, waterproof,and it has to float... But the guts are just aquarium air parts available at walmart... The pictures will help explain... I am still experimenting with this system,If I see it I can build it... All the laws of hydroponics will apply to this system,Ph/nutes etc... Peace and Good Luck

Attached Files

Edited by jonnyappleweed420, 14 October 2008 - 06:13 PM.

• HeadPawthead and Mr.Moonbiscuit like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

Johnny,

We mostly call those....Bubble Cloners...:Greetings from GP:

Cool idea floating the foam top on the water. It will help a bunch if you paint that tub black (with several coats) to keep the light out. You won't like it when the algae gets thick, and ya can't use Hydrogen Peroxide in there or they will never (never) root. (please, don't ask how I know that..LOL)

Rapid Rooters are the manufactured plugs that are used for seed starting and cloning:

Attached File  Rapid-Plugs.jpg   46.86KB   56 downloads

ISO

#3 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

Thanks ISO, I'm a newbie to hydro,but who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks... These pic are from my first attempt notice the duct tape on the float(that' a NO-NO) I learn from my mistakes,and thank god for that... I resurected five clones today with my revised float,these babies went shocky 2 days ago and wilted,Today I recut a new float and set it back up... removed them from their peet pods rinsed off,retrimmed clones stems and set them a floating and within 3 hrs all were standing back up towards the light... Praise god,they have been brought back from the brink of death... Can I get an AMEN...

#4 Empress Smoker

Empress Smoker

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

Amen, Brother And a Toke to Celibrate

#5 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:43 AM

This is great Jonny. I could even do it. Not that I am stupid ...never mind. And amen to them all living. Peace
  • cfgreen likes this

#6 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

I watched this video, and figured out how to adapt this concept to any container.
And I got to tell ya it does work I'm using it now and with minimal nutes they are growing 2" of roots in 2 wks 100% success rate...
YouTube - Raft Rooter is the best cloner on the market

Peace

#7 Lee

Lee

Formerly Leap270~Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:03 PM

sound like a great idea. i was thinking about making a bubble cloner but just have not gone out to buy a container, Styrofoam, or airstone. i have the a air pump.

#8 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I have great news and pics... Notice the clones with the longest roots,they're 16 days old 8 of those days they were stuck in a cup supported by foam in a hormone solution... On the 8th day they were wilting and I added them to my Bubbleponic rooter with some fresh cut clones... After 1 wk I changed the water and increased the nutes from 1.5cc to 2.5 cc of greenlight root hormone/root stimulator to 1.5 gal of R/O water and 2 drops of Superthrive to 4 drops and within 4 days I finally noticed roots forming on the older clones and now at 8 days you can see noticable root growth in all clones... Before I started using this method of rooting clones I only was able to root 25-30% of clones cut... Now I getting 100% and they are alot healther to boot...

Attached Files

Edited by jonnyappleweed420, 24 October 2008 - 10:31 AM.

#9 Lee

Lee

Formerly Leap270~Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

thats great news. hopefully i can get something up and running. i still need to get me another grow tent and light so i can do perpetual grow

#10 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

See for yourself this system really produces results... Look at the root growth in 5 days from last pics(#1-2) and pics(#3-4) are 10 days,they are growing noticeably daily now... I have incraesed nutes to 3.0 cc per 1.5 gal of water

Attached Files

Edited by jonnyappleweed420, 30 October 2008 - 08:55 AM.

#11 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Jonny, aren't those guys ready to be potted up? I am going to build me one right now. Got all the stuff. I also am going to try using the styrofoam trays from meat and see if they work. I could replace as needed and no worries.

#12 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

Yes they were, I put these little ladies into some soil over the weekend and OMG. I got my VEG box so full I had to use the bubbler area/ light for my MINI MOM and can't close the doors.I have to prop open the doors and cover the open area with a heavy quilt to keep the light from shinning out my windows at night.They've settled in now and are about ready for their first feeding in soil,they got shocked going into soil and some leaves yellowed and fell off but over all I got 100% success. Nice new growth on the tops and in the nodes too... Pic's to come in the next grow log. Peace

Attached Files

Edited by jonnyappleweed420, 13 November 2008 - 11:07 AM.
added pics

#13 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

I put together my rooter raft system and will post my results within two weeks.

#14 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

Jonny, thanks for the directions on the raft set up, I had about the same 25-30% rate of live babies. Does the design for the set up you adapted from include a top for the humiduty? Or did you add that your self? I will let you know how things go.

#15 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

The one I got my idea from didn't have a dome,I've used it both ways and it's personal preference if you use one or not...
Let us know how it comes out.
Peace

Jonny, thanks for the directions on the raft set up, I had about the same 25-30% rate of live babies. Does the design for the set up you adapted from include a top for the humiduty? Or did you add that your self? I will let you know how things go.

#16 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Jonny, Did you have better success either way? With the lid or without it? I have a container with a clear lid and it has alot of condensed water on it. This is all twice as hard because I am blind. I have to have help from my pal and the pros. The system I put together is slightly different because of not being able to find the same connectors, and the air hose is mounted slightly different, only because it was easier to set up this way with my sight, but it is working great. I will let you guys know in a week or so.

Edited by purplehaze2, 29 November 2008 - 09:29 AM.

#17 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Day one and a half and no real change, we will give the results day by day for the research aspect.

#18 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

I used the dome for the first week,it helps hold in the humidity.And then spray a couple times a day with Co2 water once the dome was off,once a day with dome.The results were about the same both ways,with out dome sprayed twice a day(but it's all personal preference)

Peace

Jonny,
Did you have better success either way? With the lid or without it? I have a container with a clear lid and it has alot of condensed water on it. This is all twice as hard because I am blind. I have to have help from my pal and the pros. The system I put together is slightly different because of not being able to find the same connectors, and the air hose is mounted slightly different, only because it was easier to set up this way with my sight, but it is working great. I will let you guys know in a week or so.

#19 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:06 AM

Thanks Jonny

#20 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

I re-cut three clones and one that had a small root has started to grow several shoots off of the one that was there. Jonny, do you know if you can take clones 4 weeks into flowering?

#21 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:44 AM

That is a very good question,and I'm sure it will get some debate here.
But what I've found to be true on my piece of the world is the longer you veg the bigger the plant/the bigger the plant the more produced at harvest.I have only used this cloning method for soil grows and I float them for 3-4 weeks from cutting,and after 3 weeks of veg in soil they're 16"-18" tall,I will transplant them into 2gl bags next week and start a perpetual harvest grow.(My strain is a mostly Sativa and is 10-12 wks of bloom and produces 1.5-2 oz per 28"-30" mature plant under 550W of CFL)Another thing I've learned here is if you start "stem bending", "LST",training your plants it will give a larger harvest and require less hight in the bloom area...
Hope this helps
Peace

I re-cut three clones and one that had a small root has started to grow several shoots off of the one that was there. Jonny, do you know if you can take clones 4 weeks into flowering?

#22 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

Jonny do you know about taking clones from a flowering plant?

#23 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

I have found that the longer you wait after 3-4 weeks into bloom the harder it is to clone a flowering plant,I have had success with it up to 3 wks into bloom and from what I've heard there is an issue with mold in the budd area that is revegging in clones that are cut much later than mine.
I've haven't used this cloner method on a flowering cloner but I'm sure it would be faster than in a peat pellet...
Hope this answers your question.

Peace

Jonny do you know about taking clones from a flowering plant?

#24 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

Jonny thanks for the info, any advice comes in handy, being blind is hard enough.

#25 Guest_purplehaze2_*

Guest_purplehaze2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Jonny, It has been five days and one baby has a 2 inch root with little sprouts, will the growth pick in a few days?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users