- - - - -

Fox Farm Peace of Mind

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JollyGreenGiant_*

Guest_JollyGreenGiant_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the fox farm peace of mind nutrient set. For veg I plan to use the Fox Farm Peace of Mind Tomato and Vegetable fertilizer (7-4-8). Then for budding I plan to use Fox Farm Peace of Mind Fruit & Flower Fertilizer (5-8-4). Does pot like the NPK numbers listed for veg and flowering. Is there anything else I should mix in also. I also plan in the last 4 weeks of flowering to fertilize once with blackstrap molasses

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 hearmenow

hearmenow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

Couldn't tell you a thing about those FF products. A lot of growers, including myself, use FF Grow Big for vegging and Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom for flowering. I've heard good things about FF Cha Ching too.

#3 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

These are organic products from FF in granular form. Very good slow-release nutrients. In fact, there are folks out there who mix the Flower formula into their dirt at transplanting before bloom and let the grow ride solely on that. your addition of molassses would definitely add a nice boost near the end...and if the plants are rocking... you might add in some 0-12-0 (like Primal harvest) guano TEA at about week 3-5 to give em one last boost Another great FF product is the Happy Frog Jump Start. Plants love the stuff.... good luck btdt

#4 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

First year using it the plants are looking better then ever don't know if it's that or the sm-90.

#5 hearmenow

hearmenow

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

Organic, huh? If Mogie says her plants are looking better than ever, then I'll have to look into that line. My last grow, BB, GB and SB worked fine for me. I didn't notice any chemical taste or burning in the back of my throat or anything but if I can go organic w/o sacrificing effectiveness, then why the hell not?

#6 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

I have a box of that, maybe next grow. It's cheap too.

#7 Guest_pjboy31_*

Guest_pjboy31_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

ok I use the foxfarm line , Grow Big , Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom, Open Sesame, Beastie Blooms, ans, Chaching. I have used it at full strength right from the beggining. And I have not had negative results. Here are the NPK values for the Big bloom , Grow Big and Tiger Bloom............ Grow Big= 6-4-4 Tiger Bloom= 2-8-4 Big Bloom= 0.01-0.3-0.7 Hope this helps you out. I have also been using molasses scince I started flowering. If anything it feeds the live microorganisims in my soil. I will use it all the way up to the last week. good luck~

#8 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

http://www.ext.vt.ed...12/dec1203.html

This article details the effects chemical/salt based (Grow Big, Tiger Bloom, Cha-Ching..GH..Miracle Grow/Pters/Schultz...etc...etc..etc.) and organic nutes (Peace of Mind in this instance) on the microherd populations in the soil

enjoy

btdt

#9 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:26 PM

That stuff aint cheap. Better off buying them all together...for damned near the price of a 400W HPS.

#10 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Yup, blood...and sad to say...it's just Miracle Grow-type chemmie nutes with a purty label with a high cost attached and marketing placed in key periodicals to make folks THINK it's something new, different, and exciting. Foxfarm should be ashamed of themselves, IMO. But that's just me...

#11 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

Yup, blood...and sad to say...it's just Miracle Grow-type chemmie nutes with a purty label with a high cost attached and marketing placed in key periodicals to make folks THINK it's something new, different, and exciting.

Foxfarm should be ashamed of themselves, IMO. But that's just me...

If thats true they really should be ashamed of themselves.

You'd think that you're spending your $ on quality products....not marketing.

But we know how it is.

Im pretty well stocked on the stuff. A bit less than 1/2gal. of all 3 ferts. So I wont be trying anything new anytime soon.

And for an Organic line...FF sure does burn plants easily. Thinking organics would be easier on the plants was my draw to their line in the 1st place.

#12 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Yo Blood. Big Bloom and Ocean Forest are about the only "organic" products made by Foxfarm. I think a lot of growers are FOOLED by the labels....they LOOK so "Organic" and homey... And yes..you can burn plants with Big Bloom (the only organic in the FF line)...but it's tough because it's incredibly WEAK. The Grow Big hydro and soil formulas and Tiger Bloom are nothing but petro-chems..like the Cha-ching and the other purty labelled stuff aimed at the kiddies who think fert is the KEY to growing good/big bud. In the end..these chem ferts are the SAME BASIC STUFF that is in Miracle BLOW....check the label! Chem ferts are CHEM FERTS...there's not much difference overall.... except the label and the COLOR they dye em... I'd use Miracle Gro before Cha-Ching simply due to the fact that I think Foxfarm SUCKS for putting this crap out instead of heading in the other direction and offering a high-quality liquid ORGANIC formulation. Why pay more for the same crap? Marketing..that's why....

#13 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

Point well taken. I know my WW had all kinds of probs and still do with the FF.

They look like they may need more N...I add 1/4 rec. feeding....it burns them.

I was thinking maybe the plants were just sensitive to the nutes. But now I think it may be the nutes themselves.

I'll work it out though.

#14 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

you can burn a plant with every fertilizer, and if it is rabbit poop or horse manure, still you can burn everything with it in no time. actually, i think chemical fetilizer are lots safer then so-called organics since their content is clearly labeled and controllable and you can better adjust this stuff due to this in the first place. my 2 cents :)

#15 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 08:29 AM

Understanding how each fert works is key. Organics feed and build the soil...and the plant takes the nutes it needs from that soil. Chems feed the plant and sterilize/kill most of the microbes in the medium. Chem ferts work immediately. Organics are usually more slow-release type elements. Most of the plant burn I've seen from organics comes from IMPATIENCE on the growers part. Folks aren't willing to wait to see results with organics..so many times when I had my store I'd hear "This stuff doesn't work"....like 2 days after puttin in on! Then they would APPLY more.....or buy a chem fert and hit their plants with that...activating all of the organics already in place..and yup..FRYING their plant on the spot. Then..of course...the claim will be made that it WAS THE ORGANICS that burned em. Yeah..right!! Something that should be noted: An organic fert with an N-P-K of 5-5-5 is as strong as a chem fert with an N-P-K of 10-10-10. 1000 ppms of organic nutrient mix is as strong as a 2000 ppm chem nutrient mix. This is why many folks burn their plants with organics!! If you read a feeding schedule meant for chems and use organics to get the same ppms you will overdose your garden! I'll see if I can find an explanation as to why this is/why they are labelled differently.

#16 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

^^that is way i won't use full strengths when working with "chemical ones" and won't nutes in the first weeks or right after a replantation into a bigger pot, but he same i do with "organics" too. and really, the majority of my burns are from being messy when watering my grow and not from nutes in the ground:D:

#17 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

1000 ppms of organic nutrient mix is as strong as a 2000 ppm chem nutrient mix.

This is why many folks burn their plants with organics!! If you read a feeding schedule meant for chems and use organics to get the same ppms you will overdose your garden!

I'll see if I can find an explanation as to why this is/why they are labelled differently.

well and this part i would sign really, since if it is a real "organic" substance the values in it fractured heavily, that is just a fact i know well since this is my business basically. and even medical drugs produced under FDA standards & regulations aren't checked to that extend, so nutes for sure won't be checked to this. cool hart fact on this side.

#18 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Cool. Please explain further if you can. I always enjoy hearing more about this topic. I'm using chems in a hydro DWC grow..in measured doses/ppms...etc and monitoring pH for the first time in 15+ years...so it will be interesting to see the differences all the way around vs. using organics in soil/soilless mediums as I've done historically. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to pouring green/red/purple nutrient water on my plants.... woah. Hee..hee...and thanks for that comment about the FDA. They can f*ck up a wet dream...and check things they shouldn't while letting other things they should check go completely ignored. Um...like medical marijuana...fer one. dumbasses.

#19 Guest_HBB_*

Guest_HBB_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Btdt....I disagree completely that FFs nutes are in the same realm with MG. I am not usually a person to make a statement like this, but I love most of the FF line. The following ingredients are from the back of the box: feather meal, bone meal, hydrolyzed fish, fish meal, fish bone meal, alfalfa meal, sulfate of potash magnesia, blood meal, bat guano, rock phosphate, kelp meal, and gypsum....what is not organic about those? If an all purpose has feather meal, kelp meal, and soft rock phosphate all in one it is worth its weight in gold as far as my microlife is concerned....and the mico is a huge bonus.

#20 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Yo H-town... If you look back in the thread you'll see where I sing the praises of FF Peace Of Mind as well as Happy Frog JS. As I said there and will restate now, all are great, slow-release organic products. I apologize for not being more specific in my statements regarding FF/MG. I'm just used to seeing 99.9% (100% before this thread) of the "Foxfarm" threads here and on the last board centering around the use of Grow Big, Tiger Bloom (chems) and Big Bloom (their only organic LIQUID is what I meant to say)....not the P.O.M. line of organics. I love the microherd too. I've brewed alfalfa/kelp/etc teas for years...nothing like a yeasty smelling froth... and you know like I do that if ya wanna wipe the little buggers out fast..just drop some Cha-Ching/MG on em. (both contain the same major component, ammonium phosphate)..and the next 2 ingrediensts are also very similar to each other...and the rest of the remainder of both formulas are a minimal micro package) thus my comment that they are the same..... except the purty/mystical LABEL that is *obviously* the key to growin the killa dankola... LOL. so..as far as organics ruling...you'll get no argument from here.... btdt

#21 Guest_HBB_*

Guest_HBB_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

My mistake bro....and a well put rebuttal. I used the chem ferts before with mediocre results as well, I don't see what the big deal is. The Big Bloom is a great Ph down tool IMHO, and an over all DECENT tool. For the high price tag liquid nutes I'll take AN for sure. But the POM line is my choice all day long for an all purpose additive, I'm no expert, but it works great for me to answer Bloodshot's question. Not bad priced for an ingredient in a soil mix, but to use as your fertilizer 7.95 per 4lbs is a bit pricey even with the Mycorrhizae, Humic Acid, and SRF.

#22 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

We're all here to learn. Sorry again for not being as clear as I should of been. Damn site TIMES ME OUT on every rebuttal and ate my first rebuttal to ya. I guess I talk too much! IMO, if you make tea with the POM ferts they will go a long way...much farther than just putting it in the soil as it doesn't leach out as much when you water and the nutes are already in suspension..and more available than in their previous granular form. And then there's that microherd.... Yeeeha! Chems are "clean"....that and the already stated fact that they can be mixed to a very close ppm level by merely following the directions on the bottle are stong points in their defense. They work well..no questions asked..but I think a lot of growers place too much emphasis on their importance and overlook other things in their grow that may give equally positive results. great volly bro... good info all around, IMO.

#23 Guest_pjboy31_*

Guest_pjboy31_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:32 AM

well a very interesting post indeed. I still am satisfied with the Fox Farm line. I have used it from the beggining at full strength and have had no burning . This is the second grow I have used these products on and I cant complain.

#24 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

I think my burn was more the plants being overly sensitive. Plus I started them a bit earlier than I should have.

This go round I'll be alot more conservative. When FF doest burn....the plants love it. When to start/how much to use are the keys IMO.

So I cant really knock it. And Ive never used the solubles line. Just the liquid stuff. I always thought the soluble stuff were "extras".....optional.

#25 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:18 AM

Cool. Please explain further if you can. I always enjoy hearing more about this topic.

I'm using chems in a hydro DWC grow..in measured doses/ppms...etc and monitoring pH for the first time in 15+ years...so it will be interesting to see the differences all the way around vs. using organics in soil/soilless mediums as I've done historically.

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to pouring green/red/purple nutrient water on my plants.... woah.

Hee..hee...and thanks for that comment about the FDA. They can f*ck up a wet dream...and check things they shouldn't while letting other things they should check go completely ignored.

Um...like medical marijuana...fer one. dumbasses.

why might not reasurch medi jane but they pump a lot money into reasurch on syntetic THC. hey, the are the brother's keepers of us pharmaindustry! they for sure will not tell anyone that the medic everyone could use for varius conditions can be grown in your yard:banghead: it would put large sectors of the curent pharmaindustry out of business, period. just check what the biggest cash machines of the indidustry are: 1.)stuff against heartburn 2.)weak prescription-free pain-killer 3.)antidepressants.

All that can be cured or threated with canabis, like light nausia causing heartburn, THC is stronger then syn. morphin - kills every pain you can have, THC is a very effective antidepressive treatment... and there are tones more to cure that way. and that is way the gov is fighting it so vicious, actually the war on weed started due to rockefeller
when that rich fuck switched into the pharma buzz and wanted to push synetic painkillers. organic THC was till then very common use and prescribed medication in the US.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users