Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Spider Mites!!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

OK, in my Grow Journal BTDT suggested I check for spider mites...and yep, the little bastages are there...:scream:/> OK, I called all the local nurseries and they all don't carry that other little bug that kills them, so I'm left with wipes and sprays. One suggested something called "Mite-X", a solution made from clove oil. Anyone ahve any luck with these wipe down products? Any suggestions on alternatives? HELP! I need to deal with this today, as I won't be in town (30 miles away) again for days.. ISO
  • Desert Woman, Aint easy bein Geezy and tafkam2 like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

I use ice cold water with a drop of dish soap in it, Sprayed on the under side of the leaf daily. About a week and they are under control.. I used Schultz bug killer and almost killed my babies.. Burn..
  • Aint easy bein Geezy, tafkam2 and YoniKunda like this

#3 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

forgot to say in the PM that the Mite-X seems to be a good natural way to attack em....as is SM-90 or SMC...both are the same thing...canola and coriander oils and some other mild chem...SM-90 is CHEAPER.... No pest strips will help..... pyrethium bug bombs..... Anyone who gets these F*CKER needs to ACT FAST....or they will take over. Go look at ISO's pics folks...those speckles are TELL-TALE.....and they are BUSY laying eggs for another hatch..... WHATEVER ya use...and it is best to use multiple products aimed at mites because they casn build a tolerance quickly to one spray..... you NEED TO SPRAY EVERY 3-4 DAYS to keep the egg/hatch cycles from reoccurring. sorry if this was a repaet from my PM, ISO...but folks needd to know how to start the WAR AGAINST THE BORG ASAP!! good luck. You caught it in time and I think you can stop it. Cut off those nasty leaves/any leaves that are THAT speckled and spray em/put em in a baggie and roll it/toss it/BURN IT ...LOL :shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot: DIE BORG, DIE!!!!!!

#4 Guest_kanabis kanser_*

Guest_kanabis kanser_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

"natural" works good. mix it in with your feeding water and apply as a foliar spray. 2 days and there gone with no harm or chemical taste to your plants.

#5 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

I promised GP I wouldn't cuss anymore, so I'll do my best to hold my tongue here...:scream:/>

If these little bastages are like Replicators (StarGate) or Borg, then they are NOT WELCOME in my home...

I did a thorough inspection of my plants out in the grow room (at least 100' away from where these are in the house) and there was -0- NONE, NADA sign of these mites out there.

I can, sadly, get rid of these easy enough...how abo0ut I just take these sickly little clones out and bury them far from home (like 20 miles away)?

And then, I can start over...no biggie. What I have growing in the "blue room" will hold me fine for a couple months once they flower and are harvested (about 2 months away). I won't go without in the meantime thanks to a good friend.

Sometimes the best way to win a battle is for it not to take place to start with. I don't need to "fight" with these things, instead I think I'll just send them to plant Valhalla, then clean the BeJesus out of that bathroom before any more "kids" get to grow up in there.

Here is one of the bad kids...

Posted Image

Gotta run to town, but will have some powerful new for these kids when I get back...

ISO
  • Aint easy bein Geezy, tafkam2 and Happy Helper like this

#6 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

Yer a smart man, bd. Cut yer losses now...cleanse...replinish.....and from a DIFFERENT source if it's clones! Whomever you got em from must have a frickin mess on their hands about now if the BORG hasn't eaten/spun webs over their entire crop by now..... And I'd spray my other room/plants also...at least the perimeter/pots/floor if not the plants themselves. KEEP WATCHING. As I told you, I battled these for 10 years and MANY, MANY times I THOUGHT I had em beat....only to find a few months later that they had returned yet again. good luck all. btdt

#7 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

sm-90 it's like a miracle
  • Aint easy bein Geezy and tafkam2 like this

#8 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

Those 4 plants now sleep with the fishes. Bless their souls (if'n they have any), they were trying to survive but with all they went through, and now the mites, it was time to put them out of their misery. I'll be starting from seeds next grow, that or get a couple clones from the same buddy my first ones came from...I talked to him today and he said all was well in his rooms..and he looked, carefully. ISO

#9 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

hey BTDT, you seem to be pretty used to dealing with spider mites, so, i have some questions... i have yellow/brown pinhead sized dots all over select leaves, mostly new ones, but are really hard to detect unless you shine a light under the leaf and look thru it ...i didnt suspect spider mites because i thought you would be able to see some weird web or something.. ... sorry...the Q's are -ill use a spray til i harvest (don't bug me by foxfarm), but after harvest, how do i prevent these buggers?? (flea bomb, no outdoor cats downstairs, or what?) -and once you get rid of them, how often do they tend to come back?

#10 Guest_kP_*

Guest_kP_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

hey BTDT, you seem to be pretty used to dealing with spider mites, so, i have some questions...
i have yellow/brown pinhead sized dots all over select leaves, mostly new ones, but are really hard to detect unless you shine a light under the leaf and look thru it

...i didnt suspect spider mites because i thought you would be able to see some weird web or something.. ...

sorry...the Q's are
-ill use a spray til i harvest (don't bug me by foxfarm), but after harvest, how do i prevent these buggers?? (flea bomb, no outdoor cats downstairs, or what?)

-and once you get rid of them, how often do they tend to come back?

sounds like mites

i use green light fruit tree spray with mucho success. however, i always lose in late flower, when i stop spraying. my local area is over run with them, and so mite battles are constant for me. if you need help finding neem or fruit tree spray, pm me.

kp

#11 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Yes, the BORG and I have a lengthy love affair.... and I too am dealing with them currently for the first time in many years... drat. (kind for ****) smokedoja... look *carefully* at those pics ISO provided of his now, dearly-departed clones. (RIP). This was a classic case of mites...hittin hard down low on the small vegatative growth. Most folks will just think the leaves are losing chlorophylll and are getting ready to drop off in a normal process and will overlook the tell-tale signs....a "stippling" (dots or hatch type marks) that show up as white specks...then go brownish..the yellow as the chlorophyll is sucked out of the leaves by the BORGS. Memorize that pic...and what the speckles look like. In this stage they are busy laying eggs and building the colony... and when the time is right if unabated..they WILL spin webs...covering the leaves and curling em under and webbing over the tops of the buds. When the webs are there there are so many of the fuggers that you CAN see em moving around inside the webbing wheras up until that point they were always hiding **under** the leaf. (with the damage they do showing on the topside) Sprays will knock em down... natural stuff like Dr. Bronners Peppermint castile soap, Jungle Rain Clean Leaf (a veg oil/citrus oil "wash" that smothers em and cleans the leaf) SM-90.....SMC...Mite- X...BANG!....tobacco/garlic home mixes.... etcetc etc... all will work to semi-control em...but it is VERY hard to COMPLETELY eradicate them. Stronger chems like AVID and sometimes malathion work well but do have risks (IMO) and I wouldn't use them on MY pot but they are out there for use for some folks. but as close to harvest as you are...IF they are there and they aren'ty too bad you can use PLAIN WATER...take em outside...BLAST the crap outta em with a good spray from a hand-held spray bottle. THC isn't water soluble....so it should do no lasting damage....blast under the laeves and anywhere you see em/ Do this every 3-4 days and you should be able to keep em in check til harvest. If they're webbing....you can blast it all off the same way...but I won't guarantee they won't reweb before harvest and you may want to just take em early...or take yer chances smioking some spray residue left on the bud and spray em. YUK. Get nasty. Get serious. Get them before they get you. btdt

#12 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

I have completely got rid of mine using sm-90.
  • Sixmorereps, Aint easy bein Geezy and tafkam2 like this

#13 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

i have heard great stories of neem oil killing mites..every summer i have problems with gnat bastards but the neem oil works for me...itsa a good all natural insecticide an funguscide..

#14 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

kp, wanted to let you know i went to get it after you pm'd me, the green light fruit tree spray, im gonna try tomorrow ill let you know how it goes

#15 Guest_lumberjack_ian_*

Guest_lumberjack_ian_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

i've been using the green light fruit spray (the stuff with neem in it) to get rid of any lil bug i don't want... i swear i can hear the gnats scream as they come into contact with the stuff... its kinda funny to see them convulse briefly and then die :rolleyes:/>... plus i can find the stuff at my ace hardware which is only like 100 ft away, which makes it real easy to get =]

#16 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

I think I got Spider Mites on the two Exile clones I traded for BB and Mango clones. I'm a little ticked at the moment....:rolleyes:/>

#17 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:43 PM

i've been using the green light fruit spray (the stuff with neem in it) to get rid of any lil bug i don't want... i swear i can hear the gnats scream as they come into contact with the stuff... its kinda funny to see them convulse briefly and then die

:rolleyes:/>...

plus i can find the stuff at my ace hardware which is only like 100 ft away, which makes it real easy to get =]

thats exactly what i wanted to hear!

#18 smokedoja

smokedoja

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

DAMMIT! turns out that its not spider mites but fungus gnats!

#19 Guest_lumberjack_ian_*

Guest_lumberjack_ian_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

the neem does a good job on killiing the adult fungus gnats i think most peopld have them as a problem... ugh but you gotta reapply four days later to kill the new adults (the larvae live in the soil) and then again four days later... just wanna make sure you get them all best of luck with the gnat problem oh, products like gnatrol were made for these things...

#20 GSR

GSR

Medicinal Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

sm-90 it's like a miracle

Hey Mogie,
Do you still stand by sm-90? I found a small amount of mites on the underside of a couple of my plants. I am considering trying it.
Thanks, GSR

#21 ClosetDWC

ClosetDWC

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationMendocino county Cali

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:54 AM

used neem oil and peppermint mixed worked quickly

#22 GSR

GSR

Medicinal Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

closetdwc, Do you happen to know the recipe, I would much appreciate it. GSR

#23 Kieahtoka

Kieahtoka

Neo Hippie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

well what about us guys who have a humid climate? Spraying something without a fungicide in it will most definitely give growers in my area mold after the 6th week of flowering.

#24 ClosetDWC

ClosetDWC

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationMendocino county Cali

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

what i use i got from dirtworks.net
the ingredients
  • neem oil
  • lavender
  • tea tree oil
  • soy wax
  • Original Garden Peace 4oz Spray
i dont know the amounts to mix

#25 Guest_danksterz101_*

Guest_danksterz101_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

Keep the dehumidifier on when spraying and don't spray oils especially neem with HID lights on, it will fry the plants. Keep lights off for at least 8 hrs. after spraying but keep room warm and dehumidified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users