63 replies to this topic

#1 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:49 AM

This has been an awful time for me. I am an only child. I have many cousins and 2 in particular are like my brother and sister. We are all close in age, grew up together, fought together, laughed together, cried together. And got in a whole pile of trouble together, just like many siblings. We have always been there for each other, through divorces, illnesses, births, and even deaths. Like sisters and brothers are.

My dearest cousin was diagnosed in January with Prostate cancer. He was given 9 months to live. He tried all the treatments, did what they told him to, with no abatement, as it had already gone into his bones. Too late by far to do anything.

Why did this happen? Prostate cancer is very treatable if caught early. No one told him. His doctor did not screen him for this, which is criminal in my mind. He was a truck driver, doing long hauls all over Northa America. A big guy, 240 lbs 6 ft. Living his life mostly on the road. He did not spend time watching TV, never learned about this. A sweet guy, never ever did harm to anyone. He had been divorced years ago, 2 girls now in their early 20's. Always postitive, and cheerful, only wanting to help people.

He is on the final trip now. He is in a hospice and will not come out. Constant pain is his partner now. Every 2 hrs they give him morphine, which they up the dose of evey other day. It hurts so badly. But still he is so gentle and sweet when he asks for pain relief. "Please, when you get a chance." Now he is 140lbs. Due to the cancer. a crack he had unwittingly gotten from a fall who knows when, months and months ago broke his hip, so he can't move. He was in screaming agony before they found this out. Not nice.

When we went to visit him, he said to my partner "You should look into this, it is the way of the future and could help you" still trying to help others, even from his death bed.

He said to me "Don't worry....I will come and see you, I will be around you...You are like my little sister...I love you"

Please get screened. Everyone. Get anyone you know to get screened. If this helps ONE person not have to go through this, then it is good.

I have not been around here much this week as it is hard to be positive when someone you love is going through this. It hurts your heart. I find tears appear out of no where. He is still here, but I have had to say goodbye and am waiting to here that final journey is done.....

Peace

Here is some info on Prostate cancer. Please read it and pass this along to whoever it could help. Don't delay, as it could be too late for someone else.

Prostate Cancer

It is the most common cancer found in men and the second-most deadly, after lung cancer. Yet two of three Canadians who develop the disease will die of something else. It remains one of the most treatable cancers, if caught early enough.

How fast the cancer spreads and exactly how it develops varies for each case. The survival rate depends on what stage the cancer is at when it's discovered but early diagnosis increases the chances that treatment will be successful.

In the past few years, five-year survival rates for all stages of prostate cancer have increased from 67 per cent to 99 per cent.

What are the symptoms?

Unfortunately, there are often no symptoms in the early stages of prostate cancer so men usually don't realize they have it. Symptoms usually don't occur until the cancer has spread beyond the prostate.

What tests are available?

Routine prostate testing is one of those responsibilities men take on when they hit 50 45 if you're in a higher risk group.
There are two types of recommended tests:
Rectal exam: Your doctor can feel the prostate with a gloved, lubricated finger in the rectum. It helps the doctor determine if the prostate is enlarged, or has lumps or other types of abnormal texture.
Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test: Prostate-specific antigen is a substance produced by prostate cells. A PSA test measures the level of PSA in the bloodstream. If your level is above a certain point, it could indicate prostate cancer. Further testing would be required. But higher than normal PSA levels does not necessarily mean you have prostate cancer.
Transrectal ultrasound: this is used to detect abnormal prostate growth. It uses sound waves to create an image of the prostate.
Biopsy: a tissue sample is removed for further testing. It is the only way to confirm whether prostate cancer is present.

A recently identified blood protein may offer a more accurate way to identify prostate cancer than the standard PSA test. A team of researchers from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore has developed a test that looks at another antigen, called EPCA-2, or early prostate cancer antigen-2. It detected 94 per cent of the men with prostate cancer in a test group. The test will undergo further trials.

May your higher power protect you and keep you, One and all. Be well.
  • Mogie, Lacy, jonnyappleweed420 and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

HEY GUY'S'
Jangel got a good point here.
Being a MALE I find it a little degrading (as I'm sure most of you do.)to go and get a
rectal exam.But I was awakened when my father had to have part of his colon removed due to cancer.He survived because it was caught early enough.
BUTT to keep it on the lighter side find a FEMALE doctor; not so degrading when a woman sticks her finger up you ass and they have smaller fingers too...
  • jangel and Lydia like this

#3 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

HEY GUY'S'
Being a MALE I find it a little degrading (as I'm sure most of you do.)to go and get a
rectal exam.But I was awakened when my father had to have part of his colon removed due to cancer.He survived because it was caught early enough.
BUTT to keep it on the lighter side find a FEMALE doctor; not so degrading when a woman sticks her finger up you ass and they have smaller fingers too...

....if you have a male doctor only jump if he has both hands on your shoulders............

All humour aside, this is important....just do it.
  • Lydia likes this

#4 snickelfritz

snickelfritz

Cannabis Activist / Ex-Admin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationAndromeda Galaxy

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:34 AM

I know I should go get checked out... For a number of things...

I just hate doctors... Especially the ones that want to play "Dr. Jelly-finger"
:hawkeye:

Mine is an EXIT not an entrance!
  • jangel likes this

#5 sentravapor

sentravapor

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

wow Jangel, i don't really know what to say other than thank you for this. My gf's father was diagnosed with this a few years back. He was lucky enough to have noticed it in the early stages. He is still with us today in decent shape and no real problems to speak of. I just want to wish you and your family the best of luck, and i hope his final days are filled with more happiness and remembrance than actual doctor mumbo jumbo. I don't know too much about the medical business, but isnt it about time they create a terminal system where patients without much time left can at least be taken care of in there own house instead of those horrible places. Don't get me wrong all hospitals/Hospice are not equal, and by no means am i trying to degrade a place meant for saving people. It's just that from my experiences they are about 95% business/money minded and 5% caring. Although some of the most exciting journeys are the ones where you dont know where you left from and you dont know where your going. Once again best of wishes from me to you and your family Jangel.

#6 Flyarmy2007

Flyarmy2007

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the info jay. I am very sorry for your cousin and your family. ****BIG HUG!!!!!!!!!**** I will be praying for you and your family. I know this is a difficult time for you and the people of GP are here when you need us. Much love <3.peace.
  • jangel likes this

#7 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

I know I should go get checked out... For a number of things...

I just hate doctors... Especially the ones that want to play "Dr. Jelly-finger" :hawkeye:

Mine is an EXIT not an entrance!

Snick, you are a brilliant man. Don't be stupid about this. Is this worth your life? Just know I am deadly serious about this. Don't f*** around with your life, your families lives, your friends lives. That is what you are doing when you do not get this sort of thing taken care of. And now they can do this with a simple blood test. It is that easy.

Peace
  • Lydia likes this

#8 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 07:00 PM

....if you have a male doctor only jump if he has both hands on your shoulders............

All humour aside, this is important....just do it.

I have said to previous male doctors "shouldn't you buy me dinner or at least a drink first"
That really helps to break the ice.
Once men get over the age of 35 you should have a complete phyisical every year(not including testecular self exams) prostrate is not the only thing us guys need to check.I had a friend who was only 19 when he discovered he had testecular cancer and they had to remove one,and give him CHEMO.

Peace

#9 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 06:05 AM

This is important guys so bump!
  • Lydia likes this

#10 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:30 AM

Have YOU been tested yet? And if not, why not????? It is just your life at stake, so skip it if you don't care. Peace
  • Lydia likes this

#11 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

I missed this post Jangel...of course my thoughts are with you and your family as you face this challenge...I'm sorry for the pain it causes...I lost my grandfather to prostate cancer...her certainly would have had a much better chance with early detection...us guys can be pretty stupid when it comes to getting screened for early detection...thanks for the very important reminder to not be a baby, instead do the manly thing and get the prostrate checked as recommended
  • jangel likes this

#12 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Scott. I appreciate that. And you guys have it easy. We women get squished to death(mamograms) and have to have someone poking around inside our privates regularly, (eg pap smear). If your woman was not doing this, I am sure all of you men would be worried for her. Same goes for us women. Maybe we have to be the guiding force in this, if you guys won't make the appointments. It is all so important and so needless to lose people this way. And creates soooo very much pain for people left behind. All so preventable now. We truly are blessed in this age of medicine and detection of illness. At no other time has there been such a choise. So choose to live. Peace

#13 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5521 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

peace jangel i hope this never happens to me and i sure dont wish it to anyone else. peace
  • jangel likes this

#14 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

Just breakin' the seal, watch out!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:18 AM

Jangel, I am very sorry to hear about your cousin.....i can feel your pain. Cancer is tearing my family apart by the seams as well....and i am still young so it is pretty hard to sit back and just watch without being able to do a thing about it. All i can offer is my support and prayers for you and your family. Please spend as much time as possible with him before his time comes...relive past time memories, not of sorrows, but of happiness and laughter. Celebrate his life. I am only 21 and have been getting screened for the past 3 years since i found out my mother has breast cancer. It is a very serious issue all around the world. I believe that one of two things will take down many people....Cancer or Heart Attacks, and saddly i seem to have the genetics for both. My father passed away from a massive heart attack 5 years ago and moma has breast cancer. luckily we caught it early but she is still fearing for her life daily. I wish you the best J. You know all of us @ GP are here for you. Ice
  • jangel likes this

#15 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

Thank you IceIce. I appreciate it very much. You know at no other time in our history have there been so many ways to fight cancer. My grandmother had breast cancer as well. I understand. My best friend also is a survivor. And having this info arms you well to fight it. Just keep up all the screening my friend, and you will do well. Peace and good thoughts to your mum.

#16 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

Have you been screened yet? No excuse, just think of your families. Peace

#17 Mr. Super Radmacho Man

Mr. Super Radmacho Man

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:33 AM

HEY GUY'S'

i dont know which is worse, i just closed my eyes for mine. BUTT , (oddly to say) Its Worth It, " A finger in the Butt , is worth a life of Loved Ones"
  • jangel likes this

#18 E=MC2rd

E=MC2rd

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:42 AM

Have you been screened yet? No excuse, just think of your families.

Peace

Jangel,
I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. My prayers are with you. It seems like now, we hear so often of family members, friends, and people we know who are battling cancer. You are so right about screenings for both women and men. My wife is two year survivor of breast cancer. I have been under the knife three times in the last ten years with Melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer, if not caught early. Sun screen would have prevented that. For the men, while you are in the doc's office getting screened for Prostate Cancer, might a well add injury to insult and get a Colon screen. Same doc - same area. Colon Cancer in on the rise for men and is deadly form of cancer if it is not caught early. As Jangel said, do this for your family, not only yourself.
Peace

Edited by jangel, 03 September 2008 - 07:50 AM.

• jangel likes this

#19 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:56 AM

Jangel,
I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. My prayers are with you. It seems like now, we hear so often of family members, friends, and people we know who are battling cancer. You are so right about screenings for both women and men. My wife is two year survivor of breast cancer. I have been under the knife three times in the last ten years with Melanoma, a deadly form of skin cancer, if not caught early. Sun screen would have prevented that. For the men, while you are in the doc's office getting screened for Prostate Cancer, might a well add injury to insult and get a Colon screen. Same doc - same area. Colon Cancer in on the rise for men and is deadly form of cancer if it is not caught early. As Jangel said, do this for your family, not only yourself.
Peace

Thank you for posting this, my dear. We think we are bullet proof, and we are not. I also had a cousin that died from Melanoma. She was only 22. Left a young son, 2, behind. She was a passionate tanning bed person and this is what happened. It was due to the tanning beds. It killed her. A 22 year old does not check for skin cancer. By the time they found it, it was too late. Don't ever think it cannot happen to you.

Peace

#20 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

Have YOU been checked? Call today to make an appointment. Peace

#21 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

Same message....I will try and bump this up every week. Get screened! ...for your families.

#22 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

[quote name='jangel']This has been an awful time for me. I am an only child. I have many cousins and 2 in particular are like my brother and sister. We are all close in age, grew up together, fought together, laughed together, cried together. And got in a whole pile of trouble together, just like many siblings. We have always been there for each other, through divorces, illnesses, births, and even deaths. Like sisters and brothers are.

My dearest cousin was diagnosed in January with Prostate cancer. He was given 9 months to live. He tried all the treatments, did what they told him to, with no abatement, as it had already gone into his bones. Too late by far to do anything.

Why did this happen? Prostate cancer is very treatable if caught early. No one told him. His doctor did not screen him for this, which is criminal in my mind. He was a truck driver, doing long hauls all over Northa America. A big guy, 240 lbs 6 ft. Living his life mostly on the road. He did not spend time watching TV, never learned about this. A sweet guy, never ever did harm to anyone. He had been divorced years ago, 2 girls now in their early 20's. Always postitive, and cheerful, only wanting to help people.

He is on the final trip now. He is in a hospice and will not come out. Constant pain is his partner now. Every 2 hrs they give him morphine, which they up the dose of evey other day. It hurts so badly. But still he is so gentle and sweet when he asks for pain relief. "Please, when you get a chance." Now he is 140lbs. Due to the cancer. a crack he had unwittingly gotten from a fall who knows when, months and months ago broke his hip, so he can't move. He was in screaming agony before they found this out. Not nice.

When we went to visit him, he said to my partner "You should look into this, it is the way of the future and could help you" still trying to help others, even from his death bed.

He said to me "Don't worry....I will come and see you, I will be around you...You are like my little sister...I love you"

Please get screened. Everyone. Get anyone you know to get screened. If this helps ONE person not have to go through this, then it is good.

I have not been around here much this week as it is hard to be positive when someone you love is going through this. It hurts your heart. I find tears appear out of no where. He is still here, but I have had to say goodbye and am waiting to here that final journey is done.....

Peace

quote]

...the other night my cousin passed out of this life and on to the next.

He had been kept heavily drugged for weeks. He had not had anything by mouth for 2 weeks. No water by mouth for a week. He was quiet, but at peace.

I had woken that day feeling excited and happy. When I got the message he had passed, I realized why. He was not suffering anymore.

...it was over for him.

But this journey could of been prevented for him now.

All of you, get tested now, so that someone you love isn't going to be writing about you this way.

......and let us know.

I want to know if this has helped anyone.
Then it will have value and I can say he helped someone with his story. It is your life.
Let's all keep each other around.

Peace
  • Lydia likes this

#23 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

Please read this: it is about Life and death!
  • Lydia likes this

#24 Guest_papabeach1_*

Guest_papabeach1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

well if that is important... life does kill you anyway.. all women knows PMS is heck! for women and men.. fuss over little things and all that? pot helps the pains all people with asthma even me..helps, it helps people who lost the appetites, they will have good muchie after being stoned super time.. so appetites is filled.. not lost.. should I go on?? doctor did not listen this time.. government did not listen this time.. change it will help alot better.. I can sew on my own.. I can mediate on my own.. life is hard and we dies.. friends or foe.. I better stick with growing and live my life.. just until doctors and government listen.. or better yet is there any pothead and is licensed as doctor? I would trust that man/lady better.. when will doctor listen? maybe it is very important if doctors and government listens better? will that promote a better health care?

#25 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

PLEASE get screened....get your loved ones screened. Make sure you do not have to go through this. I want to here if this has helped anyone to be checked. It will help with the pain of loss. Save your life or someone elses.

Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users