Your thoughts please w/ pics attached.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

That is chap-ette thank you~~~ !!! LOL! (Just yankin' your chain! ):(

That's right Amiga, Mate, Chick person thinggy, with a wealth of knowledge...LoL

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:59 PM

That's right Amiga, Mate, Chick person thinggy, with a wealth of knowledge...LoL

LOL! Never heard it quite put like that but thank you! You too will be here! Beleive me, it is all just reading and learning. I have not been doing this long. It will all come together for you too.

Peace

#28 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

Well the smaller of my 2 test subjects still looks really droopy...:( Color in the plant still looks good and healthy, minus the 2 lower first leaves. Have not watered them in 3 days and still no improvement in the smaller 1. Guessing I need to repot ASAP with a spring water flush. Will not be able to get the Bat Guano until tomorrow when the store is open. Hate to transplant back to back due to stress, but the little 1 is scaring me. Maybe a 40% perlite, 60% hyponex and a little bone meal mixed up real airy into a smaller container for a few days will help perk the little one up, at this point I really dont think it could hurt it... Oh yeah 1 note on my watering, up until now I have been watering in from the bottom and letting the water uptake in the pot, but I suppose I need to water from the top down and water enough to let some trickle out the holes.. Nothing ventured, Nothing gained...:) Sock

#29 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Well the smaller of my 2 test subjects still looks really droopy...:( Color in the plant still looks good and healthy, minus the 2 lower first leaves.

Have not watered them in 3 days and still no improvement in the smaller 1. Guessing I need to repot ASAP with a spring water flush. Will not be able to get the Bat Guano until tomorrow when the store is open.

Hate to transplant back to back due to stress, but the little 1 is scaring me.

Maybe a 40% perlite, 60% hyponex and a little bone meal mixed up real airy into a smaller container for a few days will help perk the little one up, at this point I really dont think it could hurt it...

Sock

The bat guanno can wait till they are a bit older, anyway, socks. And water it WELL from the top, paying particualar attention to watering around the sides. It sounds to me like your baby is just dry. I sometimes water mine every day if it is hot. It depends on how quickly they dry out. With my clones if I missed one nights watering, they would be limp the next day as there was no soil left in the pots to hold the water. Feel the wieght when it is bone dry, then water it well, till water comes out the bottom. I sometimes if they are really dry, water them twice as sometimes with dry soil, the water does not penitrate the first time and it does the second. I even let them sit for a bit in the runnoff. I find they usually uptake all the water, especailly big pots. Then feel the wieght. I usually water them really well the day before as well. This makes the root ball stick more together and prevents it from damageing the roots as much. A dry plant will easily fall apart and damage roots.

#30 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:47 PM

The bat guanno can wait till they are a bit older, anyway, socks. And water it WELL from the top, paying particualar attention to watering around the sides. It sounds to me like your baby is just dry. I sometimes water mine every day if it is hot. It depends on how quickly they dry out. With my clones if I missed one nights watering, they would be limp the next day as there was no soil left in the pots to hold the water. Feel the wieght when it is bone dry, then water it well, till water comes out the bottom. I sometimes if they are really dry, water them twice as sometimes with dry soil, the water does not penitrate the first time and it does the second. I even let them sit for a bit in the runnoff. I find they usually uptake all the water, especailly big pots. Then feel the wieght. I usually water them really well the day before as well. This makes the root ball stick more together and prevents it from damageing the roots as much. A dry plant will easily fall apart and damage roots.

Yeahhhh what you said...:)

*** The sound of Taps being played in the background****

Well it's disaster for the smaller one I think....:) Got all the goodies and went to transplant, was very gentile and delicate, but would you know it she broke off right at the base... I feel sick right now...:) There were not a lot of roots, but the ones that were there, very long, all the way to the bottom of 12" container.

Anyways I made up the right mixture 60/40 w/ bone meal and took a few lower branches off, luckley I bought some takeroot hormone while at the homedepot, and followed the instructions. so I have 2 lowers and the mother trying to root.. really need some rockwool cubes I would think.

The lesson I learned:

Use the right soil to start off with and use smaller containers, that away when I go to transplant, there will be no disasters.. Just break up the soil a little and plop into bigger container with same great soil...:)

No pain no gain...:(

Ohhh Me,

Sock

#31 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

OH NO! I am sorry for your loss, but hey, you could still have a couple of good clones. If there is root attached and any leaf on the plant it COULD still live. This is why they need smaller pots, so they don't send roots down to China and get lost how to come home with the food.

At least she went with love.....

#32 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

OH NO! I am sorry for your loss, but hey, you could still have a couple of good clones. If there is root attached and any leaf on the plant it COULD still live. This is why they need smaller pots, so they don't send roots down to China and get lost how to come home with the food.

At least she went with love.....

No worries, I will see what will happen. I dont give up very easily...:( It's all part of the learning curve.

I will try and try again.. Wasnt there some quote along the lines of, success is not measured by the result but the road travled to get there, or something like that..LoL..

Sock

#33 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:57 PM

No worries, I will see what will happen. I dont give up very easily...:( It's all part of the learning curve.

I will try and try again.. Wasnt there some quote along the lines of, success is not measured by the result but the road travled to get there, or something like that..LoL..

Sock

...it is all about the journey, my friend. It is all about the journey.

Peace

#34 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

Hey sock,

If you are doing a soil grow, I would forget the rockwool. I just use expandable peat pellets. Rockwool needs to be pH balanced before use, (or so I've read). Besides, peat pellets are widely available. Just one guy's opinion.

Keep pluggin' away, and you'll be successful, one day. Ancient Norwegian proverb.

Pappy

#35 the.fatman.cometh

the.fatman.cometh

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Here's to good luck and a bountiful yield! cheers, theFATMAN

Edited by the.fatman.cometh, 13 July 2008 - 08:16 PM.

#36 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:54 PM

Thanks Pappy and FatMan...:( Will see what I can find in the Peat Pellet dept, as I am running soil. Trying to figure a way to make an easy green house to keep the humidity up for the clones, seems to be my biggest challange at the moment. Got the 2 lowers in small styrofoam coffee cups with a sandwhich ziplok baggy over them, bottom open for some air. Scared to death to attempt a transplant on the bigger one, just may ride it out, clone 2 and force flower the clones to see what I have, but need to setup a little greenhouse for clones. I affraid that getting the whole plant transplannted will not fly right now...:) If female then may have to do many clones just to get them in the proper soil.. Ohh the decisions that need to be made...LoL Sock

#37 freetolive

freetolive

Lifetime Learner

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1539 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

Well, my senerio was 3 plants...put them in the sink and washed the roots clean. found, in the process, the fert balls release their stuff and kill whatever roots around them...lost about half the root system, but, I put them in the new dirt, superthrive/water liberaly, and they went like a rocket. good luck...peace

#38 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hey sock,

If you are doing a soil grow, I would forget the rockwool. I just use expandable peat pellets. Rockwool needs to be pH balanced before use, (or so I've read). Besides, peat pellets are widely available. Just one guy's opinion.

Keep pluggin' away, and you'll be successful, one day. Ancient Norwegian proverb.

Pappy

Hey Pappy, I did a google on the Peat pellets and came up with a dollar coin looking thing that you water and BAM it expands into it's own little nesting unit. Is this correct?

I'm sure I can find a little seedling greenhouse on clearance around here..

When you say widely available, we talking homedepot or local garden shop thing. My wally-world is lacking in everything but Hyponex..LoL.. and I hate spending my whole day off shopping... Got to tend to the yard..

Thanks,

Sock

#39 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

Well, my senerio was 3 plants...put them in the sink and washed the roots clean. found, in the process, the fert balls release their stuff and kill whatever roots around them...lost about half the root system, but, I put them in the new dirt, superthrive/water liberaly, and they went like a rocket.

good luck...peace

Thanks Meigs, I was so carful with the smaller one, but still broke off, I see what you are talking about with the hose and yes that would work, but my backyard is open to neighbors that are noisy.. will figure out a way to get the other transplanted, but will have a backup cloner machine ready to go.

It does make sense what you are saying about the fert balls release and kill new roots. Heck the top of the little plant was so friggen bushy, a min of 6 nodes at 6-7 highm shoots everywhere, but next to NO roots. My fault, too big container and wrong soil.. Seems the top just out grew the root system.

Lesson learned...LoL.

Sock

#40 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

Hey Pappy, I did a google on the Peat pellets and came up with a dollar coin looking thing that you water and BAM it expands into it's own little nesting unit. Is this correct?

I'm sure I can find a little seedling greenhouse on clearance around here..

When you say widely available, we talking homedepot or local garden shop thing. My wally-world is lacking in everything but Hyponex..LoL.. and I hate spending my whole day off shopping... Got to tend to the yard..

Thanks,

Sock

Hey Sock,

Yes, that's what you're looking for. We have them at Wally and just about any place that has a garden center. What is the heat and humidity in your cloning area? If it is quite warm with high humidity, you may not need a dome. But, you will need to keep the pellets moist. I have put the pellets, with the clone, into a plastic cup. The cup is tall enough, so that the top of the clone is just under the top. Then, I put plastic wrap over the top. The cup should have a few holes in the bottom and the upper sides. It's a good method, if you think you may need to move them from one place to another during the first couple of weeks. Another advantage of doing this, is that the transplant cup is already prepared. When roots show through the pellet, it's time to add the soil mix to the cup that the cutting is in.

I will be taking some cuttings in about a week. I'll post some pics of this method. I haven't done it in a couple of years.

Pappy

#41 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 02:35 AM

Hey Sock,

Yes, that's what you're looking for. We have them at Wally and just about any place that has a garden center. What is the heat and humidity in your cloning area? If it is quite warm with high humidity, you may not need a dome. But, you will need to keep the pellets moist. I have put the pellets, with the clone, into a plastic cup. The cup is tall enough, so that the top of the clone is just under the top. Then, I put plastic wrap over the top. The cup should have a few holes in the bottom and the upper sides. It's a good method, if you think you may need to move them from one place to another during the first couple of weeks. Another advantage of doing this, is that the transplant cup is already prepared. When roots show through the pellet, it's time to add the soil mix to the cup that the cutting is in.

I will be taking some cuttings in about a week. I'll post some pics of this method. I haven't done it in a couple of years.

Pappy

Thanks Pappy for the info and I will be getting on it in the A.M... Well heck it is the A.M. but nothing open in the middle of the night.. HAHA. Just got off work and finally my Friday, so I have 2 days to try and make things a little better.

Will Check the local Wally for the peat pellets, but really doubt they will have them at that store. Have to run into the big city tomorrow for Bat Guano so I will stop by the the Super hugh Wally that has a liquor store attached, maybe they will have it, if not Lowes may have them right next door to Super Wally.

Question on Rooting Hormone, what do you use? Apparently in the 2 books I have, Mjane Horitculture medical growers bible and Grow Great Mjane, they speek of using Gel and not the powder, I picked up the powder as that is all I saw at homedepot...:( Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Sock

#42 Pappy

Pappy

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1686 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

Go ahead and use the powder. That is all I have ever used. I have never used gel. I'm sure it works, but so does the powder. Pappy

#43 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 07:17 AM

Thanks Pappy for the info and I will be getting on it in the A.M... Well heck it is the A.M. but nothing open in the middle of the night.. HAHA. Just got off work and finally my Friday, so I have 2 days to try and make things a little better.

Will Check the local Wally for the peat pellets, but really doubt they will have them at that store. Have to run into the big city tomorrow for Bat Guano so I will stop by the the Super hugh Wally that has a liquor store attached, maybe they will have it, if not Lowes may have them right next door to Super Wally.

Question on Rooting Hormone, what do you use? Apparently in the 2 books I have, Mjane Horitculture medical growers bible and Grow Great Mjane, they speek of using Gel and not the powder, I picked up the powder as that is all I saw at homedepot...:( Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Sock

I would use the powder. I have heard for some growers the gel can block the pores. Also, I have mixed the gel into water and watered my clones that way. I am sure you could use the powder as well, if you mixed it up, but it is not necasary. Powder is fine. And if you are going to your hydro store anyway, they usually have peat pellets there. Or rapid rooters. Either one works. Good luck.

#44 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hey Sock,

Pappy

I am out the door to get these things, fits my budget. Gonna pick up some Bat guano while I can as well..

I like the beer plastic cup as well, I am taking a stab on this and will say it is the Opaque cups and not the clear cups, right?

What is your thought on the opaque versus clear on new clones Jangel, Read over in DIY that opaque for 1-2weeks and clear for 2-3week old, till roots come through the Peat pellets?

The temp is running 78 and humidity is high 40's, all in the veg area. Really need more humidity I am guessing based on all the info I am reading, something around the 80 range?

Thanks,

Sock

#45 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

If you are told it makes a difference then whoever posted it will know. I don't know that it makes a dif. No experiance, hence no opinion. Do what "experiance" of others tells you to and you will not go wrong. No need to re-invent the wheel.

#46 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

Sock, 80% humidity is BAD. No, you don't want that. If you can maintain that humidity between 40% and 60% you're in good shape. ISO

#47 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

Sock,

80% humidity is BAD. No, you don't want that.

If you can maintain that humidity between 40% and 60% you're in good shape.

ISO

For Clones????

I understand 40-60 in the veg for potted plants, but was under the impression that clones w/ no root system depend on humidity for foliar water till roots come in?

I got all the stuff so let me know if you can ASAP as I need to get-r-done before she is a gonner.

Thanks,

Sock

#48 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Ok we are back up and running, OK ISO, let me know on the above question, cause I have the clones in a little make shift green house with like 95% humidity running 78-80 temp.. Will post pics of the contraption in a few.. Thanks Bro, Sock

#49 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:32 PM

Ok Gurus, this is what I have made an put some clones in, running bout 90-95% humidity and temp 78-80. Let me know where I am screwing up please.. Jangel, The bigger test subject is doing wonderful, I know I need to transplant but scared to, what should I do since I have it in crap soil and hugh container, got all stuff u mentinoned for killer soil, but what is the lessor of 2 evils..:( Advice needed, but no rush on that one, still trying to salvage something from little one.. Thanks everyone for there kind words and wisdom.. Sock

Attached Files

#50 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

Sock, YES...80% is fine for clones. I didn't read the whole thread...my bad! :( I would try to maintain the temp under 80 if possible. ISO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users