- - - - -

Your thoughts please w/ pics attached.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:09 PM

Ok so I am just playing around here to see what I can do with next to NO money.. This is my 2nd grow attempt in a decade, nothing special just a couple of shake seeds that were lying around and popped into the wet napkin routine. Nothing ventured nothing gained...:( I can and do have the ability to go on a more serious setup, but like I said just seeing what will happen with what I have laying around the house. Ok details: shake seeds, from what I do not know..LoL currently 4 CFL's, 2 6500K and 2 2700K, custom made reflector out of white foam core. 1 oclilating fan, that is not ocliating, just constantly on both plants. 3 gal pot's mircle-grow soil. No major exhaust system, just keeping bathroom closet door open, during the 18 hr light cycle and complete dark during the 6 dark cycle. In the pic you will see the grow area in bathroom, started there with 2 CFL's, added fan after a week, temp running 79-80 during light and 60-65 during dark. Ok I moved the test subjects into an amoire, last week,plus added 2 more CFL's, BIG mistake on the move part. Temp went up to 86, humidity dropped and test subjects look like over watering problem, but leaves feel like a heat/humidity (40) problem, real dry feeling...:( Dont ask about my PH as I dont have a clue yet..LoL, but really think it's a heat issue. So I moved them back to bathroom closet, humidty is now running back at high 50's temp running 79-80 in light, 60-65 in dark and am fine misting the smaller of the 2 test subjects, as it seems to be the one taking the abuse more harshly. Here are some pics and thanks for any help, knowledge, thoughts and advice. Sock

Attached Files

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:32 PM

hey sock. They look fine to me. Keep them in the bathroom and get some better soil. New babies do not need too much fertilizer. It might be burning them.

#3 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for the kind words, I work 3rd shift and when I got home this morning I could not take the abouse anymore, relocated them back to bathroom. The leaves on the smaller subject are really droopy, and feel really dry and paper thin, not what I am use to, but think relocating them with increased humidity and lower light temp will prove fruitfull.. Sock

#4 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Sounds like heat stress to me. And the rapid change will do that too. Just keep them in the cool spot. They should also not need humidity. It can cause mold problems. don't mist them.

#5 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info jangle, no more misting...:( I was just trying to mist the leaves back to health, re-establish moisture in them, not to mean I would mist for the life of the plant. Will take and use your advice with a much thanks, Sock

#6 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Oh yeah, I bought a little cheap indoor digital hydrometer, to keep track of the temp and humidity, the subjects were doing well in the upper 50's till the bad relocation move, then they dropped to 40-42. Trying to get them back into the 50's...:( Sock

#7 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

I think you may have a drainage problem too. Did you use perlite? How much?

#8 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

I think you may have a drainage problem too. Did you use perlite? How much?

I noticed that also looks like the soil is very moist.
Would suggest adding more drain/air holes in the bottom.
These girls only need water once or twice a week.
Let them dry out for 4-5 days then feed/water them just until liquid comes out the bottom.And then watch them to determine length of days inbetween and how much to liquid to feed them.
Watch your nutes MG plant food works well(I use 12-4-8 liquid)follow label for mixing.

#9 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:35 PM

Yes there is perlite in the mix already, I did not add anymore as I probably should have. Have ran Aloe in the same mix before, with not many problems. Then come to think of it, I usually added in some sand n compost to make it a little more airy for the Aloe.

Here is the indoor potting mix I used, go ahead and bash me, but that is what I had laying around..LoL..

I water in from the bottom tray and it uptakes very easly, I dont let the container sit in water, just fill the bottom tray 2x and like I said it uptakes just fine.

Miracle-Gro Potting mix for indoor container plants.
http://www.scotts.co...ing-Mix-thb.jpg

guess I need to do a little more research here and in the FAQ'a for some good soil and Nutes..:( All in good time.. Eventually would like to venture into the Ebb-Flo Hydro scene that is in the DIY thread, but need to make sure I cross all my T's.

As with anything it just takes time.

Thanks,

Sock

#10 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks Jonny, In the smaller test subject, I took a pencile and poked various holes deep into the soil around the plant to help with aeration (sp?). when removing pencile, the soil did not seem to sticky/clumpy or overly wet so to speek, but will give it a few days in the new location w/ lower light temps and in a 50's humidity range before watering. Keeping close eye though..LoL Sock

#11 freetolive

freetolive

Lifetime Learner

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1539 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

If that soil has the time release pellets...then I would get them out of it before flowering...it will just get worst! Been there done that.

#12 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

Hi Soc...no advice from me...just congrats on your ingenuity and willingness to learn...that's all it's gonna take to become a great grower...OK one bit of advice actually...with success will come quite a stink...do you have an odor control plan? I find you can never do too much when it comes to odor....I like ONA and carbon filter myself...

#13 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hey socks,The soil is no good it has already relessed nutr in the soil.If you got to use that soil get the organic soil and mix more perlite in it.Jangel is a good dirt bag grower and is on her game.Listen to what she says and you will be alright. Peace

#14 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

Okay, for your info socks. You need 40% perlite in there. Go to wally world. You are in the states am I right? Get Hyponex soil, it is what videoman uses and I can not get it in Canada. Get 40% perlite, bone meal, (a handful per gallon) and some bat guano. I can't get that either so I use Fox farms American pride. Has guano in it. Mix that up in a pail, rubbermaid container or even a plastic bag and plant them in that next time. But wait till the roots start coming out the bottom first. You said you have them in one gallon containers? ask me tomorrow and I will give you my bit about that. You read it in another thread anyway. I just had to strip down some of my plant's root balls as I tried a bad pro mix for my inside grow. PITA. SOOOOO watch my indoor journal and I will tell you how to get rid of the bad soil and replace it with good if they start to take a dive on you. I have had it for today so good night ! Peace, and relax. They will be fine and you are in good hands.

#15 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hi Soc...no advice from me...just congrats on your ingenuity and willingness to learn...that's all it's gonna take to become a great grower...OK one bit of advice actually...with success will come quite a stink...do you have an odor control plan? I find you can never do too much when it comes to odor....I like ONA and carbon filter myself...

Thanks Scott, yes I plan to build one of those Bucket fans with the Ona absorbed in to gel pettlets from the garden store, the one over in the DIY section that VIdeoMan put up...:(

That's it for now and will look at other options as needed..

Sock

#16 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:17 PM

Okay, for your info socks. You need 40% perlite in there. Go to wally world. You are in the states am I right? Get Hyponex soil, it is what videoman uses and I can not get it in Canada. Get 40% perlite, bone meal, (a handful per gallon) and some bat guano. I can't get that either so I use Fox farms American pride. Has guano in it. Mix that up in a pail, rubbermaid container or even a plastic bag and plant them in that next time. But wait till the roots start coming out the bottom first. You said you have them in one gallon containers? ask me tomorrow and I will give you my bit about that. You read it in another thread anyway.

I just had to strip down some of my plant's root balls as I tried a bad pro mix for my inside grow. PITA. SOOOOO watch my indoor journal and I will tell you how to get rid of the bad soil and replace it with good if they start to take a dive on you. I have had it for today so good night !

Peace, and relax. They will be fine and you are in good hands.

Thank You so much for your time Jangle, I have started reading your journal yesterday and it is very informational.

Ok I will get to Wallys-world tomorrow if I can squeeze it in and pick up the items you have listed. Must say that I have never seen Bat guano there, then again I never looked for it..LoL

I know right where the Perlite is and Hyponex are, will have to looksee for the bonemeal and Bat stuff.

Oh they are in 3gal containers...:( But I think they will do better and be ok for a few more days in the new location w/ less heat stress.

Question for ya Jangle, Once I get that soil mixed up and transplant, will I need to add Nutes to my water? I think I read in your journal that we did not need nutes in soil.

Thanks agian for everyones help, this site rocks.. Well off to work for me, see ya's in the morning.

Sock

#17 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:33 AM

Thank You so much for your time Jangle, I have started reading your journal yesterday and it is very informational.

Ok I will get to Wallys-world tomorrow if I can squeeze it in and pick up the items you have listed. Must say that I have never seen Bat guano there, then again I never looked for it..LoL

I know right where the Perlite is and Hyponex are, will have to looksee for the bonemeal and Bat stuff.

Question for ya Jangle, Once I get that soil mixed up and transplant, will I need to add Nutes to my water? I think I read in your journal that we did not need nutes in soil.

Thanks agian for everyones help, this site rocks.. Well off to work for me, see ya's in the morning.

Sock

I am not sure if they will have the bat guano there. I know they do sell it at hidhut, not sure where else. I will check for you.

Have to work today and it is 4 split shifts so just hold tight, I will be in and out all day and will attempt to update my journal and add the info you need.

IF you follow the recipe I use, or the one Pappy and videoman use, you do not need nutes. The nutriants are in the soul (bone meal, blood meal, bat guano) I do use blackstrap molasses in flower, and occasionally feed them to give them a boast but you do not need to. I cannot get everything here so I have to feed them. Also, there is a bonemeal tea that video uses that I have not tried. Lots of things to learn.

Peace

#18 jonnyappleweed420

jonnyappleweed420

Admin/Vid Artist

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like your on the right path. Working from bag seed you've still got some challenges ahead. Developing soil mixture,nutes,lighting,ventilation/circulation Developing the sex,cloning, determining flowering time. But once you've worked through those issues, then go hydro. Be patient this will take about 6 months.

#19 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Sounds like your on the right path.
Working from bag seed you've still got some challenges ahead.
Developing soil mixture,nutes,lighting,ventilation/circulation
Developing the sex,cloning, determining flowering time.
But once you've worked through those issues, then go hydro.
Be patient this will take about 6 months.

So very right Jonny! It is a learning curve!

Okay, sock, I pm'ed vid and he said for the superswellbatguano go here:
http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox.html

I also noticed on the home page there is an ad for it.

One other thing, hyponex is really cheap(2 bucks or so) so no worries there and so is everything else. So it saves you money to buy the good stuff like the bat guano. And ordering from a place like hidhut is very discrete and FAST! They got me things to Canada within a week.

Keep posting any probs and we will work through it, babes. That is why we are here.

Peace.

#20 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

So very right Jonny! It is a learning curve!

Okay, sock, I pm'ed vid and he said for the superswellbatguano go here:
http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox.html

I also noticed on the home page there is an ad for it.

One other thing, hyponex is really cheap(2 bucks or so) so no worries there and so is everything else. So it saves you money to buy the good stuff like the bat guano. And ordering from a place like hidhut is very discrete and FAST! They got me things to Canada within a week.

Keep posting any probs and we will work through it, babes. That is why we are here.

Peace.

Thanks again for all the info, I will be getting right on the needed things for some good soil.

DO you think the the Wally-world will have the Bone Meal? Well heck I will ask and have a look around while I am there, maybe check out the garden section at homedepot.

The bigger subject looks even better today, the smaller is better as well but still a little droopy..:(

Yes Jonny, I am in no hurry I have nothing but time on my side...:( Like I said before, if I can figure this thing out on a cheap budget with some positive results, then why not go to a Hydro setup w/ HID. If/when I do go that route, I want everything in place, right location in the house, right exhaust/supply fans, right lighting w/ vent hood, right hydro setup and on top of all some decent seeds from the bank...:love:

So this little trial and error run will give me plenty of time to read, research, ask questions and start gathering stuff here and there..

It's a great project to add to my landscaping projects, I find it very enjoyable and when you get results, a great sense of accomplishment.

Thanks to everyone for all there great help and advice,

Sock

#21 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Yes, they have bone meal at wally world and home depot. It is cheap as is everything else, but try and get the hyponex from wally world. It is not available anywhere else. Perlite is pretty cheap too. I just came from there and almost bought all the perlite they had !!! (that is okay, it is Canada!) LOL! I left a couple bags though. couldn't get it at home depot. So if you see it grab it. I have heard rumours that they are pulling it from stores due to health hazards. Anytime I see perlite I grab it.

#22 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:57 AM

Yes, they have bone meal at wally world and home depot. It is cheap as is everything else, but try and get the hyponex from wally world. It is not available anywhere else. Perlite is pretty cheap too. I just came from there and almost bought all the perlite they had !!! (that is okay, it is Canada!) LOL! I left a couple bags though. couldn't get it at home depot. So if you see it grab it. I have heard rumours that they are pulling it from stores due to health hazards. Anytime I see perlite I grab it.

Ok on the Bat Guano, I am looking at the foxfarm site and all I see is the Foxfarm Peace of Mind High Phosphorous Bat Guano 0-4-0: 4 Lb Box

Is this what I want? Not sure if Bat Guano comes in various strengths? I dont want to get the wrong stuff if I can help it. Apparently they have a local Hydro store that sells foxfarm products...:(

Thanks again,

Sock

#23 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

Ok on the Bat Guano, I am looking at the foxfarm site and all I see is the Foxfarm Peace of Mind High Phosphorous Bat Guano 0-4-0: 4 Lb Box

Is this what I want? Not sure if Bat Guano comes in various strengths? I dont want to get the wrong stuff if I can help it. Apparently they have a local Hydro store that sells foxfarm products...:(

Thanks again,

Sock

Okay, I would go to your hydro store and check it out. I found this:
Foxfarm Peace of Mind High Phosphorous Bat Guano 0-4-0: 4 Lb Box

From hidhut. You might even find superswell there. Yes, it is pretty close but also there are different types of bat guano and the first link is what videoman gave me so it will work. You can count on him.

Hope this helps.

#24 Guest_Sock_*

Guest_Sock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

Okay, I would go to your hydro store and check it out. I found this:
Foxfarm Peace of Mind High Phosphorous Bat Guano 0-4-0: 4 Lb Box

From hidhut. You might even find superswell there. Yes, it is pretty close but also there are different types of bat guano and the first link is what videoman gave me so it will work. You can count on him.

Hope this helps.

Right-O chap...:( that is where I found my link at, Hidhut. Apparently FoxFarm has no other Bat Dung to choose from..LoL

thanks,

Sock

#25 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

Right-O chap...:( that is where I found my link at, Hidhut. Apparently FoxFarm has no other Bat Dung to choose from..LoL

thanks,

Sock

That is chap-ette thank you~~~ !!! LOL! (Just yankin' your chain! ):(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users