20 replies to this topic

#1 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

Anyone use this medium to grow? Made from coconut fibers. Supposedly is great for drainage, neutral ph, and has a decent amount of nutrients in it.

Curious if anyone is using/has used it.

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Sure have. A coupla things: Always use reputable/brand name coco..and always FLUSH any coco you buy...just to make sure the sodium content is acceptable. Other than that, it is a lot like peat. It's best, like most mediums/soils, if you add 30% perlite for good drainage, but you can use it straight up or mix it with Ocean Forest or other soil mixes. Somewhat succeptible to fungus gnats due to the fine consisitency of the mix. Needs flushed if yer using chem nutes to avoid salt build up. Some growers note Ca/Mg deficiencies but it's easily corrected with the right fertilizer RE-USEABLE. If you have no diseases/root problems, you can flush and re-use coco for up to 5 years. happy growin' all... btdt

#3 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

You're like my personal hydroshop sales person....To be a toker...you retain alot of information, dude.

So much for stoners being a forgetful lot.

#4 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

I start seeds in Planter's Pride "Fiber Grow" pellets. I often say Jiffy Pellets because people have heard of them but an important distinction ios that the PP's are made from coco while the Jiffys are made from peat. The cocos seem to retain water better.

#5 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

Thanks, GA....I got curious about the stuff since I ordered some coco plugs for clones...then I saw the bricks/bags for growing regular plants....

I hear alot of people love the Jiffys....I hope the coco plugs do a better job than the rockwool. I had issues with rockwool/clones.

#6 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

I WAS a hydro shop guy for over 3 years...so that's where some of it comes from. I forget the things that aren't important to me...or try. I retain most grow info in some form or another because it's what I do and my first interest in this life behind my family. and there all I gotta do is keep the names straight!

#7 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

Ok I got those coco plugs in...not sure how they're supposed to be used.

I tried soaking...it crumbled.

I tried just wetting the outside...it expanded...then crumbled.

Some help would be greatly appreciated.

#8 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

OK...I tried to let the water wick up and soak the plug. Didnt work.

Now Im wondering if the stuff is meant to crumble.

Still looking for some help.

#9 Guest_GeckoPunk_*

Guest_GeckoPunk_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

I start seeds in Planter's Pride "Fiber Grow" pellets. I often say Jiffy Pellets because people have heard of them but an important distinction ios that the PP's are made from coco while the Jiffys are made from peat. The cocos seem to retain water better.

I've used Jiffy peat pellets b4...

Fascinating grow... I've managed to grow like 6 different kinds of anuals, perrenials and even some carnations in them without even transplanting, HAHAHA...

They've got like almost no nutritional content and are tiny, but yet, they still worked great. I'm surprised I never went back to using those little buggers... :D:/> Great for gettin' some roots goin'... Maybe i'll go back to usin' em as a starter for a hydro/DWC grow in the future just to let the roots sink through.

#10 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hey Gecko...do the JIffy Pellets break down or do they hold shape? Im assuming these coco plugs are used the same. Im waiting for a reply before I cut clones. It looks like the stuff breaks down and I can put it into a cloning tray with pre-made cells. Pack it in like soil....take clones and insert into tray cell.

#11 Guest_HBB_*

Guest_HBB_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:01 PM

they hold shape, and they come with a little net around them. People use them with no net, just let them take shape first then remove the netting. I love jiffy pucks for germing seeds. No idea with the coco, never used it, but I assume you would use it the same just let the coco expand into the shape of whatever is holding it?

#12 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

Ahhhh...now if these had netting on them...I would see. These dont have the netting. So Im going to try to just put the plug in the tray and water it.

Let it do its thing and see what happens.

#13 Guest_lumberjack_ian_*

Guest_lumberjack_ian_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

blood maybe put them into like an icecube tray or something before wetting them so they expand and fill that but won't crumble all over...

#14 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:01 PM

It seemed to have worked. The plug fits the tray perfectly...water and it expanded. I'll see how it goes. I do think its better than rockwool. Easier to maintain the right amount of moisture.. And the clones fit snug....its very much like soil.

The trays/heat mat/dome are new too..."The Hot House" is the name I think. Not bad for the price.

Attached Files

#15 Guest_lumberjack_ian_*

Guest_lumberjack_ian_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:17 PM

yeah that propagation trays a bit better than the ice cube tray... lol

#16 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

I use the same exact set-up, except I use rapid rooters. Just watch the heat...hence your towel I assume

#17 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:17 AM

It does seem like a nice setup....I may pop a seed in there and see if it germs it.

As a matter of fact I will right now...no soaking...just popping a seed in the coco with the clones. Bagseed of course.

#18 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:53 AM

man ive got to try that...

Anyone use this medium to grow? Made from coconut fibers. Supposedly is great for drainage, neutral ph, and has a decent amount of nutrients in it.

Curious if anyone is using/has used it.

#19 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Its messy as hell...but maybe worth the effort. My clones are still standing tall...no wilting or leaf discoloration. I popped a seed in there too straight from the bag. So I'll see how it germs handles sprouts.

But just in case....I bought a 50ct bag of Rapid Rooters to back me up.

#20 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:32 PM

Update....

The coconut fibers are rocking the sh*t.

The clones I took 3 days ago havent so much as leaned let alone wilt.

My previous attempts with rockwool always gave me leaning clones within 24hrs.

#21 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:50 PM

is nice to hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users