39 replies to this topic

#1 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

I've been asked several times, and have posted this several times, so I thought I would post it here in organics for any of you who are interested in organics to have a good starting point for going organic.

This rececipe is good for about ten plants.

I start with potting soil from wally world. I believe it is called hydronex, you'll know if it's the right one by the price, it is super cheap! Only $1.66 for a 20lb bag, to this add atleast a 40% mix of perlite, and two handfuls of the Steamed Bone Meal, and that is all you need to start with for the vegging cycle.
EDIT, I've made a change top the mix, I find I am getting much better results by mixing the hydronex potting soil with "Miracle Grow's organic choice" at a two to one ratio, meaning two cups of the hydronex and one cup of the miracle grow.

If at any point you feel your plants need more nutrients, (doubtful) you can always toss some more bone meal onto the soil prior to watering them. (top feeding)

I also use sparingly some maxicrop liquid seaweed during vegging.
This helps avoid stress and promotes healthy root growth, you can read about this here.

This will take you, all the way through vegging, when you are ready to flower, perform your last transplant into a larger pot, this time go very easy on the bone meal, maybe half a handful at most, but also add a couple handfuls of Super Swell Bat Guano. This will take you all the way through flowering, once or twice I have top fed em some more bat guano during the 8 week flowering cycle.

The only other "secret" ingredients that I've used on this grow was superthrive, early on during vegging, and maxicrop liquid seaweed.
These are both root enhancers, and the maxicrop helps reduce stress also. I have also fed them molasses, usually twice during flowering.

The potting soil I started with, is just basic potting soil, and by definition potting soil has NO nutrients in it at all. Use what ever you can get your hands on easily. I like this brand, as its easy to get, cheap, and clean too.
The bone meal and bat guano provide all the macro nutrients need for the plants, and some micro nutrients too, the molasses will supply the rest of the micro nutrients.

The only tip(s) I have for you, is do not be cheap with the perlite!
Potting soil, left on its own, will clump. Perlite fixes that problem for you.
When you go to flower, use the largest pots you can get. Mine were 6 or 7 gallon pots. This recipe is for about 10 plants, adjust as necessary. The one thing I've noticed is, because it is organic, there is virtually no problem with nute burn, the plants simply take in what ever they need, and leave the rest. Always PH your water too! I promise you that you'll be simply amazed at the buds that you start to produce.
Peace
  • bigmomma, CoNtRoVeRsIaL, wl6309 and 22 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 DieAbetic

DieAbetic

In the clouds...

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

vid, do you think you could measure out how much you would use per gallon of soil. im going to use 5g buckets soon, and I wanna try this organic mix. basically i want to know how much blood meal and/or bat guano you would put in each 5gal soil tub (for vegging and flower)?
  • wereallstoned and hillbilly like this

#3 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hey Buddy, Honest answer is no. What I have found is that you need to use this recipe from the very beginning, and I just eyeball it, meaning I measure the 2 soils being used but I've never measured the bone meal or bat guano, sorry.

Basically just toss one handfull of either the bone meal or bat guano into your mix per plant. Again, one handful per plant.

During the vegging stage this should do you just fine, pretty much during the flowering stage too, but I do like to make a tea out of this too, and feed it to my plants.

Just grab a bucket of water, toss in an air-stone, and toss in a handful of the bone meal or bat guano, and bubble it for a day, than PH it and use.
For the most part, you shouldnt need the tea during vegging, but you may during flowering.
Peace

vid, do you think you could measure out how much you would use per gallon of soil. im going to use 5g buckets soon, and I wanna try this organic mix. basically i want to know how much blood meal and/or bat guano you would put in each 5gal soil tub (for vegging and flower)?

#4 E=MC2rd

E=MC2rd

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

Hey Buddy, Honest answer is no. What I have found is that you need to use this recipe from the very beginning, and I just eyeball it, meaning I measure the 2 soils being used but I've never measured the bone meal or bat guano, sorry.

Basically just toss one handfull of either the bone meal or bat guano into your mix per plant. Again, one handful per plant.

During the vegging stage this should do you just fine, pretty much during the flowering stage too, but I do like to make a tea out of this too, and feed it to my plants.

Just grab a bucket of water, toss in an air-stone, and toss in a handful of the bone meal or bat guano, and bubble it for a day, than PH it and use.
For the most part, you shouldnt need the tea during vegging, but you may during flowering.
Peace

Hey Videoman,

What do you think about worm casings and tea? I compost all indoor organic waste in a worm bin and have plenty of worm casings. What ratio of casings would you add to the mix and how would you use tea?

(thanks jangel)

#5 Baywatch242000

Baywatch242000

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Is Blood Meal and Bone Meal used interchangeably? I'm using your recipe, however, I noticed as I was out shopping that both Blood and Bone Meal seem to have similar numbers. What's the difference? Thank you! :-)

#6 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

I know for myself and have seen Vid post that blood meal is not interchangable with bone meal in this recipie....it will burn the plants (nute burn)

they often have similar numbers but release the nutrients at very different rates
blood - nutes come out quick
bone - nutes come out slow

and in this case slower is better (and many other cases as well)
  • wereallstoned, Lumix, GeeGee and 1 other like this

#7 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

I know for myself and have seen Vid post that blood meal is not interchangable with bone meal in this recipie....it will burn the plants (nute burn)

they often have similar numbers but release the nutrients at very different rates
blood - nutes come out quick
bone - nutes come out slow

and in this case slower is better (and many other cases as well)

To add to this:

Unless you know what you are doing, don't even try the blood meal. There are many alternatives. I use it cause I have experiance gardening. All my life. So I understand this point. For the novice don't use it. I use maybe a tablspoon per gallon ONLY ON FLOWERING PLANTS not veging plants. Not even that usually. So don't do it if you don't understand what you are using.
  • wereallstoned, Lucky_Cat, hardfloor and 2 others like this

#8 Baywatch242000

Baywatch242000

Tokin & smokin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

I've learned so much from all of you experts and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer questions that are probably very redundant to an experienced gardener. I'm curious to know your thoughts about mixing your recipe in bulk, and storing it in an airtight plastic colored bin? Since I know I will be transplanting my babies every couple of weeks, it would be nice to have my dirt pre-mixed and ready, and I would think it would be of benefit using the same batch of dirt that the plants are used to to avoid shock. I realize the bin would have to be light proof and sealed to avoid uninvited pests, but in your opinion, is it ok to premix your recipe (like making a "double batch") and storing it for future use through the vegging cycle or does premixing and storing degrade the soil solution?

#9 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hey Baywatch, I mix a big rubbermade tote full up with that mix of soil and store it covered in my grow room. I have plants in various stages so it is a pain to mix it fresh every time I need it. One thing I found that you must watch for is this: The Miricle grow Organic is made from manures and they are not totally dry. Last time I mixed it I checked it the next day and there was some fine hairy mold just starting. This was okay as it is a natural part of the soil and it was very minor so I took that out and mixed it up and left it with the lid off or ajar for a few days and then sealed it back up. I then checked every day for a bit to make sure it was not happening again and it was fine. It was just that little bit over of moisture that did it. So be aware of that my friend. Peace
  • wereallstoned, Lucky_Cat, hardfloor and 1 other like this

#10 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

I've learned so much from all of you experts and I can't thank you enough for taking the time to answer questions that are probably very redundant to an experienced gardener.

Bay - if we didn't love helping all growers gain a level of expertise we wouldn't be here - that's what we do - and everyone pays it forward as they gain experience and newer growers come to the site. I believe the basics or fundementals are what is most important in any endevor...MJ growing is no different and you can never spend to much time going over the basics.
  • wereallstoned, Ben Jammin and hillbilly like this

#11 Darrin

Darrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

#12 kailiwela44

kailiwela44

Medicine man

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

Does anyone know if i am able to substitue the MG for Black Gold? And is regular potting soil the same as the hydronex? kailiwela44
  • wereallstoned, Aint easy bein Geezy and hillbilly like this

#13 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

I am not familiar with Black gold. Does it have a description you can post ? What is the N-P-K? One thing, it is HYPONEX soil. Not hydronex. Just so you have the right stuff. I do not know if they are interchangable but I have used a good quality soiless mix, instead of the Hyponex as I cannot get it here. Just try and get one with no added nutrients. Peacd
  • wereallstoned, Aint easy bein Geezy and hillbilly like this

#14 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Does anyone know if i am able to substitue the MG for Black Gold? And is regular potting soil the same as the hydronex?
kailiwela44

Personal opinion: avoid Miracle Grow soil and perlite. They almost always contain some kind of nutrient stuff, which is bad for growing cannabis plants as you can't manage your own nutes that way without buring the crap out of your plants.

Black Gold is OK, providing it has NO ADDED NUTRIENTS. Be sure to check the entire package to look for something that says (along the lines of) : "Contains food for your plant for up to 3 months".

If you are using ANY of those off-the-shelf soils like Black Gold you will want to add at least 40% Perlite to it to insure it will drain well enough.

JMHO

ISO
  • jangel, wereallstoned, Lucky_Cat and 2 others like this

#15 kailiwela44

kailiwela44

Medicine man

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:35 AM

I am not familiar with Black gold. Does it have a description you can post ? What is the N-P-K?

Peacd

Welcome to Blackgold.bz
This is the website for their products. I'll be using this product since i find it at Walmart
Welcome to Blackgold.bz

My current mix is this soil with sphagum moss, perlite, and dolomite (1:1:1; and a pinch). My next mixture will most likely be the same, but i wanted to add bone meal and the hyponex soil to the mix.
I really just want a soil to last through 4/5 weeks of veg. The black gold already contains N .05 w/o any Potasium and phosphorus. The Sphagum moss has NPK of 5:2:4.
With all that said. My mix would be something like 2 parts hyponex, 1part sphagnum moss, 1 part perlite, 1 part BG, Dolomite (ratio is in my note book not with me), bone meal (ratio is in my note book not with me) and the bottom 2 inches of the pots will be perlite.
Hawaii doesn't have vermiculite. The garden shop said that it contains abestos. I believe that any abestos products made after a certain year is illegal in Hawaii.

kailiwela44
  • jangel, wereallstoned and hillbilly like this

#16 Guest_toasty1_*

Guest_toasty1_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:05 PM

Hi, I'm a new member here with a few grow under my belt, and was wondering if I could substitute the bone meal with worm castings?

#17 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

I don't know about that. I do know several of our members have experiance with this. Do not use tooo much or your plants will suffer. I will get Ileso to come and answer this one. Please come by to the introduce yourself section and say hi to us. I am sure there are many that will like to welcome you to Green Passion. Nice to have you here.

#18 kailiwela44

kailiwela44

Medicine man

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

bone meals are high in P. Using worm castings will supplement N and condition the soil. If your looking into something to sub for bone meal look into a high P powder guano to add to the soil. kailiwela44
  • jangel, wereallstoned, GeeGee and 1 other like this

#19 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5520 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:59 AM

Hi, I'm a new member here with a few grow under my belt, and was wondering if I could substitute the bone meal with worm castings?

hi there.. ive had some problems with worm castings, though this was due to excess castings. go easy on them... same as you would with the bone meal. or youll damage the lil ones.

thats about as far as my experience goes.. heheh, not much, but still enough to council some caution in their use...
  • jangel, wereallstoned, hardfloor and 1 other like this

#20 Guest_toasty1_*

Guest_toasty1_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

thank you all for your replies :rollone:

#21 Dez

Dez

Budster

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

So I went to Walmart and wasn't impressed with the fertilizer selections. I know that African Violets are really hard to grow indoor so got thinking I'd pick a couple bags of that up, along with some Miracle-Gro for tomatoes with the numbers 18-18-21..which as of now have no idea what those numbers mean. Namebrand of fertilizer: All Treat Farm. As stated, it's for African Violet and contains Sedge Peat, Sphagnum Peat Moss, compost, vermiculite, perlite, supposedly slow release fertilizer. It has a total of slow available nitrogen 0.07%, slow available phosphate 0.21%, and slow available soluble potash 0.07%. Of course most of this means anything to me. Anything I got of any use for potted plants? I am thinking I need to find something better, yes?

#22 ileso

ileso

StONeD iLeSO

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5520 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

good to start up... keep it simple, and work your way up. those numbers are the NPK ratio of the soil mix. someone with more soil knowhow will chip in soon enough on second thoughts that soil is higher in K so it may be a 'flowring mixture'... but like i said, someone will chip in..

#23 IceIceBaBy

IceIceBaBy

Just breakin' the seal, watch out!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

I was looking @ some soil at my local home depot...the brand was Weaver and the NPK was 10-10-10...anyone ever use this or something along this line like a 12-12-12. I dont know if this will make it through a whole grow or if you would have to add more nutes/supplements. Ice

#24 jangel

jangel

Bridge Builder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22352 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hey Ice. I would look to see if you can find at home depot Pro mix. That is what I use. They sell it for outdoors. I get it by the bail and add a handful of bone meal, fox farm american pride, dolimite lime and some perlite, so much per gallon. Usually use a handful, (my hand, like a quarter cup) bone meal, same lime, about a tbls. ff per pot, so say per five gallons of soil. I add about 3 tbs per large rubbertote of soil of bloodmeat to this when I am getting them ready to flower. No more as this is hot and will burn them. I use the promix instead of hyponx as I can't get it here. You also want a soil with no ferts in it, if you can find it, as you are adding your own. And then every time you pot them up you are also feeding them.
  • foevablunted, wereallstoned and hillbilly like this

#25 Guest_T Macc_*

Guest_T Macc_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hey i was wondering if i can use this mix on seedlings? Because i hear some nutes will burn them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users