63 replies to this topic

#1 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:41 AM

As I get closer to a harvest, I have been researching different methods of curing my bud, as I searched the net for info, I came across the subject of water curing. The following is an extract from the now defunct Overgrow site. While, I myself have never cured using this technique, I do plan on trying this out.

Introduction - What is the water cure? Why would I want to do it?
The water cure has only recently come to light as a widely accepted form of curing. Water curing uses osmosis to flush out the chemicals, chlorophyl, pesticides, pests, and anything else you would rather not be smoking. The water cure is also very fast (about 7 days) with optimal quality (as compared to 30 days air curing), and as well does not stink like an air cure does. Water-cured buds are also more potent than air-cured (however there is proportional weight loss to potency increase).

THC is not water soluable, and the bud is protected from air/light, enabling potency to be maintained at it's highest levels, while the nasty chemicals are flushed out. Some growers report being able to add nutes all the way up to their harvest date because the water cure takes care of the built up chemicals.

Because of its speed, stealth and clean taste, water cure is very inviting to most non-commercial growers. The commercial grower might not be attracted to the water cure, as the weight of the bud is diminished.
Water cure can also be attractive to those smoking/cooking with suspect cannabis (schwag), moldy bud, pest infested bud, unflushed bud, etc.
How will my bud taste/smoke/smell/look?

Properly water-cured buds (submerged for 7 days and properly dried) will have a clean, thick taste when smoked, as well as being more potent than air-cured buds. This is one of the major advantages to the water cure; a quick drying process that retains potency and has a clean taste and flavor.
Smoking reports vary, however most people agree that water curing provides a very clean, smooth taste. Those with hashier, sandlewood/piney and harsher strains will find this method enjoyable for the clean, thick flavor without the edge (like a fine whisky).

However, those with frutier tasting strains have mixed results. They report the smoke is almost too smooth - much of the fruity/citrussy flavor removed.
The smell of the bud is greatly diminished, which many believe is one of the positive side-effects of water curing. Some also report a diminished smell in the smoke itself.

Water-cured buds tend to look more earthy and dark in tone. Some say the bag appeal is decreased, however proper care while water-curing can improve bag appeal.

What do I need for this? What is the process?
1. A container hold your bud and appropriate water (about 4 times as much water as amount of bud). A cooler with some kind of drainage works great.
2. A dehydrator or low-impact heat device. Dehydrators work great and cost about $40 from walmart. Radiators work well (as long as it isn't too hot), and some report using hair dryers.
3. A cool, dark place to put the water-curing container.
You need at least 7 days to do this, any less than seven can result in undesireable quality. Even 5 days in water is not enough - you need seven!!!
Plop in your freshy cut buds (or schwag, whatever, but fresh buds work best) into enough water to completely submerge the buds. The buds will float to the top for the first few days of this, so you need something to hold them down (a block of wood, a plate, etc). Change the water every day for 7 days, any less than seven could result in undesirable results (trust me). Try not to disturb the buds when changing the water as plant material can break off more easily (read: trichomes). Always keep the lid of the cooler open, do not seal off the container.

The water may take on a yellowish/greenish (even brownish) tint each day, more so as the bud becomes completely saturated with the water. It will probably also stink. This is good, as it is the nasty chlorophyl and salts are exiting your plant.

After 7 days remove the buds from the water. They will be sopping wet, and can be dried relatively quickly. You can purchase a food dehydrator from wal-mart for about $40 and consensus tells us this may be the best method for drying. Put the dehydrator on the lowest setting and dry for about 5 hours or so.

Radiators and other low-impact heating devices can also be used. Users have reported hair dryers working with some success, as well as hanging the wet buds on a clothes line with a fan circulating air. The important thing to do is to ensure the buds dry quickly enough to not become moldy, but with as low-impact of a drying environment as possible.

What I plant to do, as I wont be doing a massive drying here, is place them on a paper plate, and place it on my monitor, for some gentle heat to dry them out.

7 DO'S and DON'TS of water curing
1. Do not close the lid on the cooler. As the chlorophyll bleeds off into the water it evaporates - this is good and sealing the cooler just puts the crap back in the water.
2. Keep out of direct sunlight. I just put the cooler in the garage and that's the end of that.
3. Don't stir or agitate. This serves no useful purpose.
4. Don't bother straining the water for trichomes when you change it each day. I've tried it countless times and have yet to get enough trichones to make it worth the effort, though some hairs will break loose.
5. I've water cured as long as 9 days, but there was no real improvement over the 7 day mark - so why bother?
6. Do use a dehydrator. They cost $35 over at Walmart and you set it on the lowest possible setting. Mine takes about 5 hours to dry out a 1/2 pound of sopping wet buds. If you line dry make sure there is a drip tray or tarp for them to drip on.
7. DO NOT water cure seeded buds that were intentionally seeded so you can harvest seeds. Air cure these buds only...
What is the dry-weight ratio comparison with air curing?
Dry weight using air cure usually returns about 25% of the freshly cut bud weight. That means if you had 10 grams of freshly cut plant, you would get about 2.5 grams dry.

Water cure, on the other hand, returns about 15% from wet to dry. In our 10 gram example, that would be about 1.5 grams.
So why is there less weight using water, but more potency?
THC is not water soluble. When the buds are underwater, they are protected from environmental conditions such as humidity, over exposure to air, temperature, and light. This consistent state is something not easily achieved through the traditional air cure, which can be prone to a harsher smoke with decreased potency if everything isn't just so.
Water cure enables the removal of undesirable elements from your bud while retaining potency.

How potency is increased through the water cure
I should explain this so that the conspiracy theory kooks don't land on me like a ton of bricks.
Here's the "magic" behind the increased potency you get by water curing.
For the sake of making it simple, I'll use an example of 100 grams of bud going into the pot.
Now, you had this bud assayed and know that 15% of it is pure THC.
15% of 100 grams is 15 grams. So in our example the 100 grams of fresh bud has 15 grams of THC in it.
You water cure it and dry it. Now you have only 70 grams of bud left. WTF?
But you are deceived because the 15 grams of THC is part of the remaining 70 grams of bud. 15 divided by 70 equals 21.42%.
Sooo....
The mass didn't change, just some of the things that were there - aren't there anymore, so what is left becomes a bigger proportion of the entirety.
You go assay your water cured bud and find out it has 21.42% THC content - a 50% increase in potency.
Not bad, eh?

How osmosis leaches nasties, saves trichs
In air, chlorophyll breaks down at a rate that is only slightly faster than the breakdown rate of the resin - hence the reason the pot is dried for a short time then placed in jars and burped - but always out of direct sunlight because sunlight plus air equals an ideal situation for the THC is to break down and thus a loss of potency may ensue.
In water, the chlorophyll breaks down (out of the plant) while the THC remains suspended in the resin and is relatively unaffected by the surrounding water medium.
  • willtrib, Mr Tumnus, JayFeezzie1110 and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Guest_Baked Jesus_*

Guest_Baked Jesus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

I'm gonna have to cure some of my first harvest this way. Seems a pretty solid method. Great post!

#3 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

i have read that thing on 3 different sites now..lol..what i need to know is should i manicure the bud before the water or after..

#4 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

I manicure before I cure my bud. I find it easier this way. Peace

#5 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:03 AM

even though some of you have water cured in the past it still seems like an awesome way to ruin your harvest. is all i think about when i read these post.

#6 Guest_Baked Jesus_*

Guest_Baked Jesus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:27 AM

even though some of you have water cured in the past it still seems like an awesome way to ruin your harvest. is all i think about when i read these post.

What makes you think this? I really have no idea because I haven't tried it. But I'd like to know as much as I can about it before I do.

#7 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

even though thc isnt water soluble by water curing you are losing weed. you also cant hang it up to dry wet so you have to gently pat it off damaging and knocking off the trichs which would leave you with less weight and less potent weed than if you air cured... but this is just my 2 cents and since i know nothing about it then i could be dead wrong.

#8 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, you need to try it first, before you knock it. It has several benefits: 1-You get some weed to smoke in a hurry, while the rest cures by air drying. 2-It does not reduce potency, in fact it increases it. 3-For those of us who are older and have coughing fits, this is the way to go. Nice n' smooth, 4- You get some weed to smoke in a hurry, while the rest cures by air drying. Did I mention you get some weed in a hurry?

#9 the.fatman.cometh

the.fatman.cometh

Master Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:22 AM

Yeah, you need to try it first, before you knock it.
It has several benefits:

1-You get some weed to smoke in a hurry, while the rest cures by air drying.

2-It does not reduce potency, in fact it increases it.

3-For those of us who are older and have coughing fits, this is the way to go. Nice n' smooth,

4- You get some weed to smoke in a hurry, while the rest cures by air drying.

Did I mention you get some weed in a hurry?

Videoman,
I don't know what we would do without you, your knowledge is indispensable.

Peace:cool:

#10 hempie

hempie

gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:45 PM

Yeah, you need to try it first, before you knock it.
It has several benefits:

1-You get some weed to smoke in a hurry, while the rest cures by air drying.

2-It does not reduce potency, in fact it increases it.

3-For those of us who are older and have coughing fits, this is the way to go. Nice n' smooth,

4- You get some weed to smoke in a hurry, while the rest cures by air drying.

Did I mention you get some weed in a hurry?

good idea.. send me some weed and ill try it..

#11 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:33 AM

well the buds have been dunked for a little of 24 hours,i changed the water an i could smell the bud..whew smelly..but since it has been in there all the hairs have changed to thier red color and all the buds look green as fuck..we will see what happens...need to go pick up a dehydrator though..

#12 HeadPawthead

HeadPawthead

Super Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6092 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

I just hung mine to dry for two days. I tried one day, and they tasted like crap, after two days, it was great! Peace

#13 GetAhead

GetAhead

Grower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:47 AM

I saw a post on this somewhere with good pictures and now I cannot recall where. Anyone else?

#14 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

I saw a post on this somewhere with good pictures and now I cannot recall where. Anyone else?

Higha!

...me too, thought it was at riu, but there are few in the faq, maybe videoman knows, or better, gives us a few pics!

Peace, Martin

#15 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:17 AM

I sure wouldn't agitate or knock the buds around much...especially after makin a lot of bubblehash in my day and watching the TRICHS fall off IN WATER. That's how it's done guys! In WATER. I respect the process if you feel it warranted for your uses, but man...I can't even fathom dropping these YUMMY Cherry Slyder (tastes like Ludens Cough Drops) or this Jackie O (taste like citrus/burnt orange) buds into water and makin em taste like...um...nothin' specific whatsoever... Smoothe isn't the reason I grow. I grow for varied tastes and highs. good luck all.

#16 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

.....and watching the TRICHS fall off IN WATER. ......

Higha!

how about fixing a filter at the bottom of the container, right above the drainage to hold back the trichomes???

Peace, Martin

#17 Guest_CAUSTIC_*

Guest_CAUSTIC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

i have found that a french coffee press is good for keeping the buds submerged, and then pour the water through a coffee filter if you are worried about the meagre amounts of trichs that come off if you handle the plunging gently.

the thread that you may be talking about with pics may have been mine from cannabis culture forums.

i'll copy them here so you can see the results.
---------------------------------------------------------

day 1-

i have taken up the challenge. 600cc container got filled tonight. we shall see in 7 days.

bho will be the final product. i am curious if it will help keep a lighter colour to the product. and maybe i wont have to worry about long soaking it in the butane since there will be less garbage to be extracted.

hmmmm, we shall see

i have only used a small portion of my stash for this experiment. it will basicly tell me if this is a new trend i wanna start.

once it has been cured and the buds are dried again, it will go into the kief tumbler to remove any extra that i can for a nice kief, then they get used to make honey oil.
i will then have 3 end products, honey oil, kief, and then some jelly hash/ guppy goo.

my first 24 hour rinse was shocking. this stuff was an all natural outdoor grow, and the water came out a DARK brown. i am excited to see how it will end up by the 7th day. i love new experiments.

day 3-

day three and there is a huge difference in the cloud density. and i am noticing the salt slicks on the surface of the water. or maybe its something else, but i am really enjoying paying attention to all the details

day 5-

day 5 of the water curing and there has been a huge change over the results of last nights flush.

last night it had a very weak iced tea kind of colour to the water and the smell was a bit rank, i was quite worried that i may have just wasted a decend amount of good buds. well this afternoon i changed the water and it is almost completely clear, no browning of the water and just some slight salt residue clouding on the surface, and the sweet bananna bread smell is starting to return. very exciting.

2 more sleeps until i can start to dry it out and give it a test run.

day 6-

day 6, i am too ancy not to play. so i have snagged two of the smaller buds and decided to dry them. the rest can stay in for the remaining day that was suggested.
container at day 6, just before flushing. notice the water is still nice and clear, no haze. smell is still kinda funny, but i expect it will improve once dried. and very few trichs got broken off in the flushing and stirring processes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the 2 little nuggets that got pulled for photo duty and to be dried a day early. yes they are different strains, and sadly no, i dont know what they are.

Posted Image

Posted Image

after drying those two out.....

Posted Image

after day 7-

mainekind420's comments on water curing- so what was your final opinion man? i liked the way mine came out. not very flavorful, but extremely clean tasting and smooth.

my response- i agree on the flavour aspect, but once it was all chopped up and ready to pack, it smelled wonderful. and i liked the silkiness of the smoke. i am definitely a fan of this method if i were to have any reservations on the flushing of the buds, or even if it was an outdoor grow and the buds were a little dusty from growing outside.

even doing a water cure on my kief was worth doing. just too bad i fucked it up by storing it before i had completely dried it.

this was some of the results of my playtime in water curing.

Posted Image

i would definitely suggest this for anyone doing solvent extractions, or for any weed that wasnt properly flushed or cured.

its almost a "have to" now for making healthier hashes as far as i'm concerned. and instead of doing a BHO method, i have switched back to using ISO seeing as it is cheaper, more plentiful, and produces a cleaner product.

i hope this has helped.

#18 BloodShotI'z

BloodShotI'z

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Great stuff, Caustic. A definite plus. +rep for this one.

#19 Guest_Verwegener_*

Guest_Verwegener_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

Higha! ..i am speechless....., extraordinary post! big thanks!!! Peace, Martin

#20 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

hmm my water never turned brown...it did get cloudy but now in day6 its mostly clear..i cant wait to dry them 2marro...i will tell you how i like it...

#21 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

chill hempie, its a common process in industry, very common with premium unblended tobacco, as you get with premium cigarettes if they are true premium ones. they do so to avoid the chemical blending which is need otherwise with cigarettes to get the smoke smooth enough, a marlboro for example contains more then 600 added chemicals, which most oft them aren't used anymore in other sectors because the either addicting or highly toxic, actually most are both:D:
with cigars mainly air-cured, or to be technically air fermented tobacco is used, that take way longer and you need other strains that are not so productive and more tricky to grow, so too expensive for cheap cigarettes.

well you see where i'm heading hempie, it is as risky as to air-cure you buds and try it and you will love it too:wink:

#22 Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*

Guest_AzGrOw-N-sMoKe_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:50 PM

well all i can is that i really dont like the way it tastes...i will use it for hash like the trim..

#23 *GreenPassion*

*GreenPassion*

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Herei s the previosu link to water curing:
http://www.greenpass...ight=water cure

However after my friend Caustic posted in this thread, there really is no need to go anywhere else. He rocks!

#24 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

[quote name='videoman']
Plop in your freshy cut buds (or schwag, whatever, but fresh buds work best) into enough water to completely submerge the buds. The buds will float to the top for the first few days of this, so you need something to hold them down (a block of wood, a plate, etc). Change the water every day for 7 days, any less than seven could result in undesirable results (trust me). Try not to disturb the buds when changing the water as plant material can break off more easily (read: trichomes). Always keep the lid of the cooler open, do not seal off the container.[quote]

My 2 cents to keeping the buds down the first days:

-i gotten me an old cullender, toke the handle off, so this gives me about 2/3 gallon in volume to work with. since it is made from aluminium it is a bit lightweight so i place a steel barbell on top to keep it down.
(two nice options to the one i got:
http://www.ikea.com/...oducts/76113785
http://www.ikea.com/...oducts/90011829
they are also handy for the water change:wink:)

-second method is as bid odd and against what video was teaching above, you take a good rubbermaid box, put your buds in, and fill it with fresh water to the rim and press the lid on, some water will squirt out for sure so do it over the sink! secure the lid with a few elastics and turn it around. i place then the box in a plastic bag as backup safety and then in a dark corner of the basement and let the fermentation do the work for me.

#25 scott06

scott06

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

I put a few budz in water from my humble harvest....I'll let people know how it goes...I have a feeling this is gonna be great....almost all the things you don't want in a bud are water soluable and the cannabinoids are not water soluable so it makes perfect sense...if it comes out as well as I think it will I may plunge a main cola in water day two - water is clear - perhaps my mostly organic low concentration methods help keep the chemical waste down....hope that chlorophyl starts leaching

Edited by scott06, 25 May 2008 - 04:48 PM.
update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users