- - - - -

Why does the PH of my water rise???

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

I mix my water w/ nutes and let it sit for 24 hrs, then I ph it again, it goes in the res. at 5.5. Within 24-36 hrs it's like 7.26. By logical deduction I think;can't be the water cause I've tried water from 3 different places, don't think it's the nutes cause it does it w/ whatever I use. It's not the ph down cause I've tried different brands etc. It's not my meter cause it's the same on differnt meters. Iv'e searched everywhere I know where to look, got stacks of books and I've never heard this problem addressed!!!! Does this happen to everyone or is it just me? If it does happen w/ everyone-please explain to me the why it happens and is there a way to stop it? Thanks, Billy Oh, there is either 2 long air stones or two bubblers in each res.

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 green_nobody

green_nobody

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5127 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

several reasons, one is oxidation, a other is possible interaction with the container... get a good book about inorganic chemistry, you will find hundreds of possible causes:wink: to be true, H2O is chemically a pain in the ass!

#3 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

Refresh my mind, bro....what medium are you using?

#4 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Are you talking about after your plants are in it for 24-36h?

#5 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

Are you talking about after your plants are in it for 24-36h?

No the entire plants are not in the water, the plants are in 4 inch net cups with hydroton covering the 1x1 rockwool cube they were started in, pumps inside each res put water to the roots via the tubes coming from the 6 shot octo*****. The ph is 5.5 when the water first goes in, within 24-36 hrs when I re-check the ph it will be from 7.0-7.26 Billy

#6 *GreenPassion*

*GreenPassion*

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:24 AM

Whats your ppm?

#7 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

Refresh my mind, bro....what medium are you using?

4 in net cups, hydroton covering the 1x1 rockwool cubes they were started in.

#8 SHAMAN

SHAMAN

DEAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

could it be from your plants drinking.. using up water increasing ppm and ph..

#9 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

Whats your ppm?

As u know that's according to how long they been growing, when they are in thriving mode-I never go over like 1200. My water has 37 ppm before anything is added, I take that into consideration on the ppm-that's on wal-mart water-coming through filters here at the house it's like 130-160 ppm. Like I stated-I have'nt found where this issuse has been addressed. If it can't be fixed, oh well, but if it can, I want it fixed, I don't want mine to just grow-want it as close to perfect as I can get it!!!!Billy

#10 *GreenPassion*

*GreenPassion*

Has many harvests

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1152 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Try lowering your ppm, to around 800 and take new readings after a day or two.

#11 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:47 AM

could it be from your plants drinking.. using up water increasing ppm and ph..

That may well be the problem-but I try and mix my food ppm correct so it does'nt. No.. I don't think so-after I thought about it- cause it happens all the time, does'nt matter if they are 4 weeks or 4 months, I change and clean everything on Saturdays, and like I said, there's only 5 plants to each 18 gallon tote,and it does'nt seem to me that 5 4 week plant's can use that much in 7 days. Last grow I had 21 in 3 6ft-6inch pvc, during flower they still only used like 5 gallons a day and they were on continious feed like now. Your thoughts?

#12 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

Try lowering your ppm, to around 800 and take new readings after a day or two.

****that's where I am now-around that, but u can bet I'll try it-u know how important ph is. My query is; does this happpen to everyone or is it me? Thanks, Billy -Wife wants to go visit in CA and the ph issuse keeps me here. NO>>>>I DON'T KNOW ANYONE THAT ID LET EVEN SEE MINE!!!!LOL BUT, THAT'S REALLY NOT FUNNY!!!!IT'S TERRIBLE TO LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE U DON'T TRUST ANYTHING BUT WHAT U SEE IN THE MIRROR!!!!BILLY

#13 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

OK 800PPM sounds good for your plants at an early stage, GP is right on there. Many things can change Ph, if water is evaporating your Ph will change, water evaporates and nutes usually don't. Also plants drink the water raising Ph, and something I learned recently is temps will change your Ph. Also what kind of Ph up/down are you using? Also Ph up/down can take a little while to "contaminate" the whole res., let's say wait a half hour then take a Ph reading. One last thing and I mean no offense to those Stealh Hydro users, are you using the stealth hydro ph up/down...if so I had the same problem, I do not think their Ph up/down works very well. I switched my Ph up/down and my Ph didn't fluctuate as much.

#14 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:58 PM

OK 800PPM sounds good for your plants at an early stage, GP is right on there. Many things can change Ph, if water is evaporating your Ph will change, water evaporates and nutes usually don't. Also plants drink the water raising Ph, and something I learned recently is temps will change your Ph. Also what kind of Ph up/down are you using? Also Ph up/down can take a little while to "contaminate" the whole res., let's say wait a half hour then take a Ph reading. One last thing and I mean no offense to those Stealh Hydro users, are you using the stealth hydro ph up/down...if so I had the same problem, I do not think their Ph up/down works very well. I switched my Ph up/down and my Ph didn't fluctuate as much.

I've used several different ph adjusters;earth juice, Gh, useing Adv. nut. ph down at the moment. Hell, if plants drinking the water raises the ph, that's what's happening-I'm sure some evaporates too, enen though I've got everything sealed good as possible to keep light out, Temp stays between 85 & 90, any lower and this co2 is worthless, I mix my nutes in 5 gallon buckets, the water sits for 24 hrs before the nutes are added, I add the nutes in the motnings, let that sit until 12, then ph the water to 5.5, that nite I ph it again just to be sure, and then into the res.Billy

#15 Guest_btdt_*

Guest_btdt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

Does the pH of the water that sits from 12 noon til late PM rise any? I'm guessing that folks have hit the nail on the head...somewhat. There may be something else causing your pH to rise and that is the rockwool itself. Seems like you mentioned flushing your wool under the tap for an extended period of time before soaking it...was that you or not? If not..and it wasn't flushed...that may be the culprit. Rockwool is manufactured by spinning gypsum and mixing it with limestone dust...which is highly alkaline. drop a peice in plain 7.0 water and watch what happens. dump that water and fill it again and do another check. I think you'll see that it will take a long time before the water dissapates the limestone dust enough to lowers the pH....eventually stabalizing if you flush it enough. just another thought/guess. btdt

#16 Giggles

Giggles

Teaching to grow

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Good point, I noticed that my Ph problem stopped when I switched my Ph up/down, guess what else I did when I switched my PH up/down product....I disabled my drip. Sometimes the answers are right there and it takes btdt to point them out. Thanks again btdt

#17 Guest_bd1975_*

Guest_bd1975_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

[quote name='btdt']Does the pH of the water that sits from 12 noon til late PM rise any?

I'm guessing that folks have hit the nail on the head...somewhat. There may be something else causing your pH to rise and that is the rockwool itself. Seems like you mentioned flushing your wool under the tap for an extended period of time before soaking it...was that you or not? If not..and it wasn't flushed...that may be the culprit. Rockwool is manufactured by spinning gypsum and mixing it with limestone dust...which is highly alkaline.drop a peice in plain 7.0 water and watch what happens. dump that water and fill it again and do another check. I think you'll see that it will take a long time before the water dissapates the limestone dust enough to lowers the pH....eventually stabalizing if you flush it enough. Yes the ph does rise just a lil from 12 until later that nite, I figured it was the nutes doing it, that's why I always ph it again before it goes in. The rockwool cubes are those lil 1x1. I use some kind of conditioner{can't remember the name at the moment}that's suppose to used for this purpose. Before the lil ones ever see the cubes I get some water, let it set for 24, check the ph, fix it if need be, 12 hrs later I check it again before putting the condition in,ph it again, then I let the cubes sit overnite before use. I got a bottle of tetra easy balance, says safe for plants and fish, think I'll get a cup of food water and add this to it and see what happens. I'm not gonn'a put it in where it can screw my grow up,been burnt like that before!!!Oh, these seed came in Mandela seed packets and all 5 strains are suppose to be stablized!!! I got some bad seed or else they're not stable, noticed half leaves and completly missing branches on the 3rd set of leaves, two are like this 1 satori and 1 kalerchia. Just thought I throw that in for gp. Thanks again for all the help. Billy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users