#1 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:01 PM

Attached File  IMG_20180705_122843.jpg   253.93KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20180705_122829.jpg   325.39KB   1 downloads

Hello all,

I'm looking for any feedback on this plant. It's a strawnanaberry, growing outdoors near Denver, CO.

Using the hempy bucket technique, clay balls on the bottom, coco coir on top. Water three times daily with Fox Farm GrowBig on feedings 1 and 3, FoxFarm Big Bloom on feeding number 2.

I have been fighting spider mites with a solution of Green Clean from Central Coast Garden Products. 

About a week ago, several leaves turned brown and mushy in the middle. Lower fan leaves started turning yellow as well. I gave a good flush with distilled water for a day, then began adding FloraMicro from General Hydroponics to the solution for feedings 1 and 3. Now, the fan leaves are looking like classic nute derivation, as you can see  in the pictures attached. The newest growth looks pretty healthy, but I still have die-off on my fan leaves. 

Also, it seems to be flowering already, I've never had a plant with so many pre-flowers all over it. This strain is not supposed to be an auto, and this plant is in full sun all day, so the flowers are a bit of a mystery to me as well. Does anyone think I should switch to Tiger Bloom already, or just treat it like regular veg and keep at it all summer?

Thank you for any input!

• KnuckleDragger likes this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21204 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

Be careful about too many nutes. The burned leaves won't come back, but if they don't burn anymore you should be OK...

• ISO2BWELL, Suzycrmcheese and joeya like this

#3 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:33 PM

thanks KD, I did not even consider that it may be nute burn, but I'm flushing it again today and I'll try diluted nutes after the flush. 

#4 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

Well, I think I got this one sorted out. I've been adjusting my water pH before mixing the nutes, and not checking the pH after mixing. Apparently, the nutes are quite acidic. I got the water to 5.7 before adding in nutes. I tested the nute solution last night and found that it was at 4.5! Hopefully, correcting this will improve her health!

• KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#5 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21204 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Joeya, You live in Denver. They pull out of several reservoirs, pH can change a lot...

• Suzycrmcheese and joeya like this

#6 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

Actually, the pH out of the tap has been rather consistent, at 8.2 for the past couple years. Something else is screwy though, as we've seen the pool also get acidic when left to it's own devices. Anyway, now that I know what I'm fighting with, I can monitor more closely. It's probably time to invest in a pH meter before my next grow in hydro. Using chemical test kits is much more error prone. 

#7 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2343 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:42 PM

Hopefully on the right track now joeya.  Never done hydro, but have always checked ph after adding nutes...drastic change.  Have noticed a ph change with my water through different seasons too.

• KnuckleDragger and joeya like this

#8 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:25 AM

So, after a few weeks, it's time to circle back. 

I believe my problem was that this plant was root-bound! My wife suggested I transplant into soil, so I cut it out of the hempy bucket and found a solid ball of roots growing around in circles. I sliced down the root ball and planted it in Fox Farm Ocean Floor and it seems healthy now, and has returned to a good growth rate. As the yellow leaves die off and dry up, I am removing them, and there are very few new yellowing leaves now. I'm going to take a few clones and try them in hempy again, since I really want to see how they finish outdoors here, but apparently, I can't do that with a long veg cycle or they'll get rootbound again. I figure if I clone this week, they should have just enough time to veg before they go into flower cycle. 

Thanks for the feedback all, now that I know where I went wrong, I'm a bit embarrassed!

#9 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2343 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

So, after a few weeks, it's time to circle back. 

I believe my problem was that this plant was root-bound! My wife suggested I transplant into soil, so I cut it out of the hempy bucket and found a solid ball of roots growing around in circles. I sliced down the root ball and planted it in Fox Farm Ocean Floor and it seems healthy now, and has returned to a good growth rate. As the yellow leaves die off and dry up, I am removing them, and there are very few new yellowing leaves now. I'm going to take a few clones and try them in hempy again, since I really want to see how they finish outdoors here, but apparently, I can't do that with a long veg cycle or they'll get rootbound again. I figure if I clone this week, they should have just enough time to veg before they go into flower cycle. 

Thanks for the feedback all, now that I know where I went wrong, I'm a bit embarrassed!

No need to be embarrassed...never would have thought hydro could even get  rootbound. What size pot are you using?

Glad there's improvement...."behind every great man there's a................"

• joeya likes this

#10 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

Suzy, I was using an empty plastic whey protein jar, it was about a gallon.  It is now planted into a large plastic 16 inch wide pot, hopefully it's enough to support root growth for the rest of veg, about another month or so. I had also thought the roots would not grow so much because hydro keeps the plant nourished. Apparently, that was not correct, live and learn. And yes, behind every great man..... 

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21204 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:32 AM

I run Hempy in 10 quart buckets from Wally world. In this type of grow, root bound shouldn't be a problem...

• joeya likes this

#12 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:17 AM

my next try for outdoor hempy will be in an empty chlorine bucket, they are about that same size, maybe a little larger

#13 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1755 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:54 PM

Here she is today, looking much healthier! Still some yellowing on the older leaves, but the new growth all looks nice and healthy. If I can keep her that way now, I should be harvesting in mid-October.

Attached Files

#14 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:43 PM

niiiice!

muA

#15 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21204 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

Looks good, and the time will come for harvest...

• joeya likes this

#16 anothertime

anothertime

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:40 PM

imo hempies dont root bound.the roots swirling near the bottom is common in a hempy because the medium mixture allows most of the nutrient to flush from the bottom when you water. be sure to wash the coir before use most has a bit of salt in it because of where it grows and how its harvested.heres info from the man that invented this form of growing......https://www.mrnice.n...mpy-bucket.html

hope this helps,good luck with your grow

PARD

#17 anothertime

anothertime

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1226 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:55 PM

and by the way the feed schedule for a hempy is based on the lucas formula which uses the micro and bloom from the gh series of nutes the rate is 5 mil of micro to 10 mils of bloom each and every watering per gallon phed to 6.2.

mix is 2/3 perilite to 1/3 vermiculite 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users