#2 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

Sounds interesting...who wouldn't want stronger, faster growing, disease resistant plants?  Need to know some more details.  Maybe the extra included article had more info, but don't have the energy for reading right now

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#3 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

From the research I have done which seems to parallel this info, UV, fungal, bacterial, IR and even ultrasonics can and DO have a beneficial effect when given @the right time.... use of UV reptile lights to help increase trichome production has been going on for a couple of decade now...exposing the plant to UV @ different stages of life has different effects.

I can see an anti-bacterial effect for seeds and seedlings....I can see exposure of seedlings effecting some type of genetic kickstart to some growth mechanism within the plant.

Perhaps the same may be had for exposure when entering/ending the other different stages of growth.

might need to :rollone:  and thinking.gif  some on it. I got a lot of thoughts on the subject but have yet to have a cohesive picture of it in my mind.

muA

Edited by IammuA, 16 March 2018 - 09:41 AM.

#4 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:02 AM

From the research I have done which seems to parallel this info, UV, fungal, bacterial, IR and even ultrasonics can and DO have a beneficial effect when given @the right time.... use of UV reptile lights to help increase trichome production has been going on for a couple of decade now...exposing the plant to UV @ different stages of life has different effects.

I can see an anti-bacterial effect for seeds and seedlings....I can see exposure of seedlings effecting some type of genetic kickstart to some growth mechanism within the plant.

Perhaps the same may be had for exposure when entering/ending the other different stages of growth.

might need to :rollone:  and thinking.gif  some on it. I got a lot of thoughts on the subject but have yet to have a cohesive picture of it in my mind.

muA

I would definitely appreciate the research and your thoughts muA.

#5 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

Here are some links I have begun browsing through...will be reading deeper into them over the next few weeks.

This is not a simple problem to be solved with a yes, no or  checklist.

Growth of plants involves complex genetic, metabolic and chemical processes all interacting with each other.

I suspect the growing method in the original post will be set exposure times @set UV levels during set time of the plants growth cycle and life cycle.

Too much exposure causes damage and sometimes stunting of plants, but in other cases it is beneficial to different plants.

A complex can-O-worms indeed! muahahaha Hysterical thinking.gif :monkey-with-glasses-smoking-smi :33zzold:  Knowledge! FEED the BEAST! :meatballs:

muA

Frontiers | Interactive Effects of UV-B Light with Abiotic Factors on Plant Growth and Chemistry, and Their Consequences for Defense against Arthropod Herbivores | Plant Science

BREAKING: BioLumic Raises $5m Series A to Commercialize UV-based Crop Enhancement Tech - AgFunderNews

The Power of UV

Jacked Up Cannabis: UV Light and Other Trichome Enhancers

Kiwi agtech company secures funding for UV crop enhancement - Food & Beverage

7. Adverse effects of elevated levels of ultraviolet (UV)-B radiation and ozone (O3) on grop growth and productivity

MORPHOLOGICAL RESPONSES OF CROP AND WEED SPECIES OF DIFFERENT GROWTH FORMS TO ULTRAVIOLET-B RADIATION

UV-B radiation: a specific regulator of plant growth and food quality in a changing climate - UV-B radiation: a specific regulator of plant growth and food quality in a changing climate - FeedingKnowledge

CSIRO PUBLISHING | Functional Plant Biology

UV-B and temperature enhancement affect spring and autumn phenology in P opulus tremula (PDF Download Available)

Effects of Elevated Ultravioletā€B Radiation on Native and Cultivated Plants of Southern Africa | Annals of Botany | Oxford Academic

Tanning Your Plants: The Curious Effects of UVA and UVB

Stratospheric Ozone Reduction, Solar Ultraviolet Radiation and Plant Life - Google Books

Global Climate Change and Agricultural Production: Direct and Indirect ... - Google Books

An enhancing effect of visible light and UV radiation on phenolic compounds and various antioxidants in broad bean seedlings

PHOTOMORPHOGENIC RESPONSES OF PLANTS TO UV-B RADIATION

Effects of enhanced UV-B radiation on seed growth characteristics and yield components in soybean - ScienceDirect

Enhancement of growth, photosynthetic performance and yield by exclusion of ambient UV components in C3 and C4 plants. - PubMed - NCBI

Assessment of impact of solar UV components on growth and antioxidant enzyme activity in cotton plant

Ultraviolet-B enhances the resistance of multiple plant species to lepidopteran insect herbivory through the jasmonic acid pathway | Scientific Reports

Effects of Enhanced Ultraviolet-B Radiation on Yield, and Disease Incidence and Severity for Wheat Under Field Conditions | SpringerLink

Natural UV Radiation in Enhancing Survival Value and Quality of Plants - Swati Sen Mandi - Google Books

The Importance of UV Light for Plants Cultivated Indoors

Speed breeding is a powerful tool to accelerate crop research and breeding | Nature Plants

• KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#6 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21136 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

I have a couple of research papers on UV-B light...somewhere. Its biggest effects are during flowering/fruiting...

#7 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:45 PM

Would love to read em when ya find em, KD...and yes, the last half of flowering seems to be an optimum time for UV-B exposure to really develop trichs....though methinks seed treatment and perhaps a few mins exposure each day for the first week or two of growth will also give seedlings a kickstart to some degree.

muA

#8 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2305 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:44 AM

Common sense(basically what I have to work with) would tell me if you wanted to prevent disease you should use it when they're young, and then

off and on throughout the cycle for other benefits.  That's a lot of info to sort through muA

#9 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:40 AM

yup....dont despair, lass...common sense aint th@ common :P hehehe

This is interesting.

muA

• KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic