KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20577 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Automatic criminal...  

Hawaii Police Order People With Medical Pot To Surrender Guns To The State

Hawaiian authorities have asked medical marijuana users to “voluntarily surrender” firearms due to their medicinal status. This may mark the first time a law enforcement entity has moved to confiscate guns from cannabis patients.

Marijuana users in Honolulu are expected to turn over all firearms and ammunition to the state within 30 days of receiving the notice, according to a letter signed by police chief Susan Ballard,  reported the website Leafly.

The state’s first medical marijuana dispensary opened in August, but federal law prevents patients who ingest cannabis from owning a firearm. Marijuana is still categorized as a Schedule I drug by the government and is considered in the same league as ecstasy and heroin.

Twenty-nine states and Washington, D.C., have passed laws to legalize cannabis for medical or recreational use, but the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) issued a letter in 2011 saying there will be no exceptions for weed users with regard to gun ownership. The agency stated:

Any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her State has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal law from possessing firearms and ammunition. – ATF

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals heard arguments in September 2016 against laws prohibiting medical marijuana patients from owning a gun, but unanimously ruled in favor of the government. The restrictions did not infringe upon patients’ second amendment rights because cannabis was found to cause”irrational or unpredictable behavior,” the panel said.

• Tokecrazy, ISO2BWELL, BikerPepe and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 ISO2BWELL

ISO2BWELL

Honored Retired Staff + (AKA: Sir ISO Goodnstoned)

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3178 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

Give up my guns?

Like hell I will. This is the main reason I stopped renewing my medical card

5 years ago.

I hope the gun owners in Hawaii tell 'em to stuff it up their arse...

The Queen and I live in a rural area, and Sheriff response can be as long as 45 min., 

meaning I'd not only be dead, but cold and dead before they got here.

• KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#3 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:29 AM

when seconds count, the police are minutes away... at best.

It was only a matter of time.  I gave up my CWP when I started getting authorized, as I won't lie on the form to apply.  Refuse to sign onto the state registry or get the state card and this is one of the many reasons why.  I'm also a rural county resident and happy to be so.  Take guns away from the disabled.  Good move, thanks Uncle Sam.

Edited by BikerPepe, 30 November 2017 - 12:30 AM.

• KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#4 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 November 2017 - 03:12 AM

Noooooooooooooo!!  Hope this doesn't give other states ideas.  I know some of those in law enforcement feel like they are no longer in control, and are not happy.

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#5 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20577 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Reefer Madness lives....

• Suzycrmcheese likes this

#6 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:36 AM

grrrrrrrrrrr

muA

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#7 joeya

joeya

giggity giggity

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1623 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

I wonder if any have sued for an injunction against this order. If the police decide to enforce this federal law, but not other ones (possession of cannabis regardless of medical use, immigration laws, communicating threats towards government officials, etc.) then they are blatantly cherry picking laws rather than equal application of laws. 

I agree with ISO, getting a medical card is surrendering your 5th amendment rights against self incrimination, something nobody should be forced to do for medical purposes!

• BikerPepe, KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users