42 replies to this topic

#26 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

I was using bubble hash for tincture, but just didn't like it, combination of convenience, taste, the VG was weird... I like the capsules for edible and have met people who prefer tinctures who suggested that I place it under the tongue to help with the issues I was having. The caps are my preferred way for sure, but it took me 5 years to get here after playing with strains and dosages. That first 1 gram evening was entertaining.

When siphoning the alcohol into jugs I could taste the stuff and would agree that it really wouldn't be good in a tincture. The extracted oil is awesome, solvent free after decarbing at 240F and as sterile as it needs to be for encapsulation and storage. When I make a batch, a dozen or so go into a jar for my desk (testing) and the rest get put into a jar in the freezer. Some of the capsules from 5 years ago were still the same when I tried them recently. I changed but the caps were the same.

My plan for kief is to attach a 73u screen with a big rubber band to a 1 gallon beverage cooler and put in dry ice with crushed bud and shake over a mirror. May wash the remaining buds with alcohol if anything is left, what do you think, worth doing?

• BikerPepe, KnuckleDragger and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

I'm not really the guy to ask on that one 420circut.  I've never been a big fan of the ice or freezing stuff.  I'm lazy though and all the extra steps and mess for little gain seems like a waste to me.  I just dry the trim, then lightly rub it across a simple, steel screen (.02 mesh, I believe) and then use the kief as described.

I'll generally wait until I end up with 3/4 of a qt. jar of kief and then fill the rest with everclear.  Leave it in a dark, cool (not cold) area and shake it every day or 2 until it's dissolved (couple weeks).  Occasionally, if there's too much veg matter in the kief and I end up with some mush at the bottom that won't dissolve, I'll slowly pour/strain it off with a coffee filter and then enjoy it.  Usually about 1/2 a dripper, mixed in some OJ or something similar goes down nice and gives me some benefit without messing me up too bad.

Take a full shot-glass of that tincture and you better plan on a 36 hour, barely functional high.

Edited by BikerPepe, 06 May 2017 - 02:52 PM.

• KnuckleDragger and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#28 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

BARTENDER! I'll have a shot of pepe le Kief! muahaha

muA

#29 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

I caught a glimpse of distillate being made on Bong Apetit, looked like simply squeezed kief and resulted in a clear viscous goo. They did have an abundance of kief to use, so maybe with scale it looks easier. My objective is to maintain an adequate level of cannabinoids in my blood to inhibit tumor formation. Extracting edible cannabis by washing the buds and then refining the solvent is what has been working, thinking that the keif is just what I am trying to get at when I extract, so decarbing and dose packaging is all that's left. If I weigh the amount used and mix it with an equal weight of MCT oil, then put in the oven at 240F to decarb, after an hour it should be good for capsules. A size 0 capsule filled with this blend should have 325mg of cannabis oil and probably greater than half that as THC, maybe quite a bit more, so perhaps this batch I'll cut the dose down for testing. Traveling with a bottle of these is not difficult, although probably not TX or OH.

If the objective is purely recreational, oh yeah, hit with a shot of that juice, made with perhaps vodka or good moonshine.

#30 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 02:46 AM

Attached File  NewUserManualRev10-13.pdf   1.88MB   2 downloads

This may be of some help....it has a method of titration and regime for regular dosage, immediate and extreme dosage and covers oral, topical and rectal application.

muA

• KnuckleDragger and 420circuit like this

#31 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

That pdf from Stoney Girl is nice. I spoke with an oncologist about my dosing routine and he said to keep it up. The smell during decarb has been the most difficult part of this project, which seems pretty mild when you consider all the things that can go wrong like solvent explosions and DEA raids. The oil from the Extractohol seems to be of a better quality, more of a golden color and during decarb it looked better, smoother smaller bubbles, foaming more than bubbling. I think that I am getting a feel for how a good decarb is supposed to look, finally, after doing this for 5 years. Testing different strains' oils and dosages, so should have some experiential data soon. The 217mg capsules made with MCT oil instead of coconut oil and the all CBD plant are pretty good, except they are a bit stoney, so somehow there is a little THC sneaking in, perhaps on the walls of the condenser tube in the distiller. Next up are the caps made from Fire OG X Lucky Charms, which smokes real nice and lasts a very long time.

• BikerPepe and KnuckleDragger like this

#32 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

After making a bunch of caps I decided to test the super potent cross tonight. Now where is that helmet?

#33 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:59 AM

The 250mg dose of the super potent cross is very nice, entertaining, enough sativa to stay alert, wonderous head feeling, plenty physical energy while still able to fall off to sleep and have an early morning, in short, a perfectly enjoyable strain for edible use. I made some kief and smoked a bowl with it Saturday, barely made it back to my favorite chair before passing out for a couple hours. The flower smokes nice, effect is pretty strong, both body and head and lasts a lot longer than is typical, so adding kief to a bowl is really overkill.

Jar Of crushed buds
fist In Jar
fistinjar2
ohnooo
kieff
kief
verify The strains quality

This batch of oil started with a 1 gallon jar of dried buds, but instead of just pouring in the solvent to do an extraction, dumped the plant material into a 73 micron screened bag and shook out the kief. I could have shaken a lot more out, but this all that is required for the project. The kief smokes fine, if anything it is too strong for casual use. Time to go sample a bit more and consider the best way to process.

#34 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20175 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

:chemist-smiley-emoticon: rainbow.gif

• BikerPepe and 420circuit like this

#35 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

:ph34r:

muA

• KnuckleDragger, 420circuit and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#36 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

towlie

It took 4 bong rips to figure it out.

tripping balls

Wait, what?

Cannot think of a better way to spend a weather day inside. Music, dancing, dogs, fine cannabis and springtime in the Rockies.

#37 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6409 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:20 AM

Here you go 420 circuit

Attached Files

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#38 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Thank Toke, I would like to get some feedback on this method if anyone would like to contribute. I plan to replace some of the pictures with better ones and add the Extractohol info. Having capsules melt has been a problem, solved with a little adjustment to the process, but still something to be very aware of. A page that shows the math used for dosing with cap size and ratios might make it better.

There are a multitude of different ways to make "cannabis oil" and we are at a time in the legalization movement when we should be getting better, safer, more consistent in how we do this. Knowing how much you take with edibles is a big deal, as anyone who has overdone it can attest. if you want to try treating disease with cannabis oil, you should be prepared with a dosing plan based on real information.

Please take a minute to look this over and post up any ideas to improve on it. I think that it is a good start, but not sure the format works for the intended audience. This is not for making oil to smoke or dab, it is for edible oil. This method is currently legal in Colorado while butane is not. Making shatter is 'whole different kettle of fish'. My intention is to find the best way to produce the most medically potent extract of cannabis to apply against disease and provide patient comfort.

actionleaf.gif

• Tokecrazy and KnuckleDragger like this

#39 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:19 AM

Funnily enough I was making oil during the last few days. Will post sommat tonight.

muA

Attached Files

• Tokecrazy, 420circuit and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#40 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

Stoney Girl and I should cook together sometime, we seem to be looking the same direction. Thanks for posting that nice guide. I like how the dosing info is laid out and the interesting report about bioavailability with lecithin requires more study, but very cool to see this work being done.

• Tokecrazy and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#41 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:24 AM

Have been doing some oil runs using an air still and there is no perceptible smell until I take the lid off the air still.

Doing the oil rounds @night when it is cooler here [been about 10*C of late] has resulted in a better evaporative return from the extractions.

Have done 4 oil runs on the same bud with the first oilrun being the best quality, runs 2 and 3 were dark black and a different quality and round 4 returned a small amount of really dark tar like oil.

Have yet to test the oils apart from the 1st run [it schmoked gooooood! :D ]. Will be making the oil into capsules soon.

Chilling the alcohol and the plant matter to be extracted in a chest freezer 24-48 hrs before soaking and doing the soaking in the chest freezer does seem to really influence the quality of the first run.

muA

Edited by IammuA, 03 June 2017 - 05:31 AM.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, 420circuit and 1 other like this

#42 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

When we freeze the plant material it ruptures the cells so we get more of the plant material, so closer to a total plant extraction. The quick wash of dry buds just gets the resin, so probably a bit more concentrated THC because of its location in the trichomes. I think the trick is to get as much of the trichs as possible without as much of the plant, but honestly, the batches I made 5 years ago with frozen and long soaked everything feel about the same as far as effect. The most recent batch was super potent as a result of using a high THC content bud, quick wash and proper decarb. But, keep in mind that this is edible oil that I am making here, not for smoking, unless you want to smoke some coconut oil too. rasta.nana.gif

#43 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:19 PM

agreed! :D hehehe and ewwww....

muA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users