15 replies to this topic

#1 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

Got some of this solvent and will be using it instead of Everclear for the next batch of edible cannabis oil. Planning to take a few pictures during the extraction process to share my results. Currently blending with coconut oil and making into capsules, planning to use MCT oil this time, a product that is made with coconut oil. The Extractohol is a little cheaper than Everclear when purchased in 5 gallon amount. I should be able to do this next week. This is currently legal in Colorado, but I am still keeping it out of sight as a courtesy to the neighbors. Hoping the aroma won't be as strong as Everclear during the boil, masking that smell is challenging. FYI, I've been making and taking cannabis oil since 2012 in an attempt to prevent a brain tumor from growing back. So far so good.

extract
extracto

• Tokecrazy, ISO2BWELL, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

good luck with the extractions my friend :passit:

I am gonna make some alcohol for extraction meself.

:D

muA

• Tokecrazy and KnuckleDragger like this

#3 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

nice.  that everclear ads up fast.  look forward to hearing how the extractohol is going to work out for you.

was that a local purchase or an online order?

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 19882 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 23 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

http://www.extractohol.com/

• Tokecrazy and BikerPepe like this

#5 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:56 AM

I have a benchtop air still to recover much of the solvent alcohol to lower production costs some. A $300 purchase [new] to recover 70%-85% of the alcohol for reuse....it will pay itself off pretty quickly methinks. I got mine 2nd hand for $60 :woohoo:

muA

Edited by IammuA, 24 April 2017 - 12:56 AM.

• Tokecrazy, BikerPepe and KnuckleDragger like this

#6 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Got a small counter top still for the same purpose, but am looking into replacing it with a rotary evaporator. They run from $500-5K and seem like the best way to make this oil. A 5 liter model will be easier to clean and a digital heat bath allows good temperature control. I just need to decide how much money makes sense to spend on this contraption. Ideally I could collaborate with someone else, team up to buy it and then share access to the processing. but the legal issues are a problem and it has been fucking impossible to find anyone clear headed enough to work with in the cannabis space. My first step is to get rid of a few liters of Everclear that was contaminated with the 151 proof by boiling it away, so time to dig out the fondue pot.

RSO boil in fondue pot
Album: edible cannabis oil
3 images
0 comments

#7 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

To be a little clearer, it has been hard to find anyone who can collaborate with me, the problem is me, not everyone else. Local library loans out Go Pro cameras and a great selection of expensive tech like 3D printers. Wonder if they would buy a rotovap? There are lab apparatus rentals available, but for $1,000 plus it makes more sense to buy one. Considering a cheap chinese knock off. It looks like the sensible machine needs to be at least 5L capacity because of the difficulty in removing the oil from the flask. A 5L will have an opening that should allow for a hand and spatula. Using this method will allow observation of the process in order to watch the decarb. I am thinking that less decarb may result in a better oil, leaving a little THCA and CBDA and trying to minimize the CBN by reducing both time and temperature. With less THC and CBD it will be necessary to take more, but the medical effects may be improved. Along the same lines, I'm looking at trying to process kief with ethanol to make edible oil. Finding that the great majority of information online is oriented around smoking oil, so not real clear how to do this. After a few years of making edible oil I have learned a few basics, like what decarb looks like, but have not been able to get oil tested, so am flying by seat of pants.

rotovape

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#8 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

https://skunkpharmre...ilm-evaporator/

https://skunkpharmre...m-siskiyou-sam/

https://skunkpharmre...wet-extraction/

https://skunkpharmre...oil-extraction/

https://tcheck.me/

https://www.levooil.com/

For a good grounding in the scientific principles behind extractions take a gander here @ nurdrage

muA

Edited by IammuA, 24 April 2017 - 12:58 PM.

• KnuckleDragger, 420circuit and Verwegener like this

#9 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

The Skunkpharm links are where I learned how to do this better a few years ago, excellent resource, saw someone selling used rotovaps there, apparently he had picked up a lot (probably at auction) and was ebay-ing them. Simply boiling off the solvent will produce THC, but I'm looking for more, trying to make something better. It may be crazy to think that cooking cannabis down will produce a cure for cancer. Spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to find out seems kind of nuts. There has been enough evidence to convince me to look further, but I worry about my affection for cannabis causing a delusional curtain to be pulled over the situation. Not sure if making a "better" quality oil is worthwhile, but if I do not look into this and wind up with another tumor, well it would be worse than feeling like I wasted time and resources. Over the next days I'll be making a few batches of oil and testing them out. Last night I took a 500mg dose of oil from mixed Indicas along with my usual 325mg of high CBD and enjoyed pretty good sleep after a pleasantly buzzed evening. The gram a day advice from Rick Simpson is an amount that produces enough altered mindset to make anyone feel a little better, so perhaps all this interest and cure claim talk is just euphoria. I do likes me some euphoria. By embracing my cannabis affection and moving ahead with kitchen chemistry it may be possible to learn something useful, so I'll proceed with research. After a bong hit of this S.A.G.E.

sage

#10 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:31 AM

Kudos, mate....I fully appreciate where you are heading. Check the nurdrage vids for some good examples of chemistry principles and methods.

Are you also looking into consumption of fresh cannabis? the acid versions of cannabinoids also have some great healing effects.

All the cancer patients who's testimonials I have read seem to have taken really heavy dosages to get their success.

I have some good pdf's on making oil-caps and titrating dosages if you are interested. if so, pm me.

muA

• KnuckleDragger and 420circuit like this

#11 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:47 PM

The chemistry principles are nice, but mostly above my pay grade because I cheated in CHEM101 in order to pass. My medical situation is pretty good, considering. Been stable since surgery and radiation, my story is all about prevention of tumor growing back, so prevention. Problem is that these fuckers always grow back and usually kill the patient, so I am already ahead of the game by making it past 6 years without recurrence. Watching people die in my support group has been very difficult and I am looking for a pattern, like are these the patients who did not try cannabis oil or radiation or something else, but fail to see anything relevant. Some of the patients who died were using cannabis oil, although type and dosage are not known. I have tried to make my situation known online, maybe another patient will see it someday, with accurate dosing info and how I am making it. Speaking of making it, why didn't I think of this before, putting the boil pot into the fireplace. This worked very well, but probably the last time that I'll do it. Just needed to boil away the last of the Everclear. The decarb, which I do in the oven at 248F usually, is taking longer than usual because of the water in this Everclear. Once it is gone I'll weigh the oil and add twice the amount of MCT oil in order to make size 0 capsules with about 200mg. Going to use the empty bottles for extractohol, going into the deep freeze. Good suggestion about fresh cannabis, yes, I do juice leaves when I have plants in veg, but the limit on plants keeps me from having it daily. I haven't tried juicing buds, but there are reports that it is very good for you, except the part about lamenting the loss of fine cannabis for enjoying in the usual ways.

Fp

#12 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:02 PM

dont forget to add lecithin to the oil before filling gelcaps, eh?

Did ya check out the tcheck? being able to test each batch of oil for cannabinoid content is another way to monitor ya usage with hardcopy data, eh?

If the extractahol has too high a water content ya can always run it once through the air still to purify it some.

Keeping a single plant in extreme veg purely to pick leaves from might be a doable proposition methinks.

muA

Edited by IammuA, 25 April 2017 - 03:07 PM.

• KnuckleDragger and 420circuit like this

#13 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

I have used powdered and liquid lecithin before, but after blending in the MCT oil while warming on a coffee warmer, it looks so well mixed that I just grabbed the syringe and filled capsules. The Extractohol should not have hardly any water and I use dried, cured buds, so planning to recycle the solvent with the small still for now, but looking into a rotovap for the future. I could order one and then deal with an angry wife or be smart about it and hold off and preserve the peace. Waiting for peace.

The tcheck device looks to me like a ppm meter. I think paying a lab for spectrum analysis is the only way to know the real % of the different compounds. The CO testing labs were not available to individuals a couple years back but I haven't checked lately.

I have considered a mother plant, but somehow I always get a Forest Gump moment and tear everything out for a restart every so often. I feel one coming on, after-harvest scrub down of everything.

#14 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:23 AM

the TCheck is a spectrum analyzer, which in essence IS a PPM meter methinks.  It is meant to be pretty accurate so will give it a try when I can.

muA

#15 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted Today, 08:49 AM

There was a gizmo being offered for attachment to a phone, that was for testing THC and CBD amounts, but haven't seen it for a while. This is still being sold, but they changed the description of what is measured to TCP, total canna profile. The reason that the testing labs are being used is because there isn't another way to reliably test for these compounds yet, although it sure would be nice, the equipment is costly and requires ongoing expense to operate. I would think that a device dedicated to just cannabis compounds would not be too expensive, but we will have to wait and see what gets developed. Good luck with the tcheck device, I am suspicious that it isn't actually measuring a chemical, but the amount of light passing thru, like a ppm meter, but am just guessing. NASA can tell what compounds are in the atmosphere of a distant planet by measuring the spectrum of light that is reflected, which I think is similar to the tech that is used by testing labs with their spectrum analysis. I would love to be able to measure how much of each compound is present, but have not seen a testing device that can do it well enough, other than at the labs. :study:  https://www.cdxlife.com/canna-sensor/

#16 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted Today, 08:59 AM

Yes, its a basic testing device methinks

What the tCheck does is similar to the way one would check their cholesterol at home. The purpose is to give you an understanding of your cholesterol levels without the need for an in-depth breakdown that might take days. tCheck gives you a CBV number, or botanical Compound By Volume, which is the aggregate compounds in the infused solution. With the CBV reading you can determine the amount of un-infused and infused oil you need for any recipe. To help with the process, the calculator is a tool that helps determine exactly how much you need for a desired dose. 

Much like ABV or alcohol by volume, CBV is a measure for total amount of botanical compounds dissolved in the oil or other liquid. CBV is expressed in terms of milligrams (mg) of per milliliter (ml) of liquid. So, if your CBV is 4 mg/ml, then a tablespoon, which is 14.8ml, has 59.2mg of total botanical compounds. The tCheck Web App on tCheck.me gives you a botanical compounds breakdown or type. It also can be used to adjust your recipes.

A lab test will provide myriad details such as ratios of each botanical compound, pesticides, terpenes, microbials, and other contaminants. tCheck provides a total infused CBV number. The results are analogous to your cholesterol test. The quick way is for your doctor to use just a tiny drop of blood from a pin prick. This quickly measures total cholesterol. The second, more accurate method, involves fasting overnight, taking a few test tubes of blood. This method may take several days but gives you a very detailed breakdown including HDL, LDL, triglycerides and more. tCheck is analogous to the first quick and easy method.

This still has use for those regularly making their own extractions and consumables....but it WONT measure a cannabinoid profile, just a Compound By Volume measurement.

Useful methinks for those who have already found the strain they seek, not as a device to seek such a strain.

muA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users