17 replies to this topic

#1 CoNtRoVeRsIaL

CoNtRoVeRsIaL

I'm Just a CFL kinda Guy

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1271 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

I started scrogging a couple years ago.I havent looked back since!! Not only does it increase my yield,but increases my trim pile. I Was interested to know if any of you have,or are currently scrogging....And what do you like or do not like about the Scrog?

Edited by CoNtRoVeRsIaL, 20 January 2017 - 03:39 PM.

• plant boy, grayjay, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Scrogging is great. I love it.

It allows one to get the plant to spread, keep the branches and thus the buds on a level plane, When flowering begins one can remove all leafgrowth below the screen level, this gives better airflow through the plant. If the screen gets too thick with bud one can make tubes of flyscreen and fit them through the plane of buds to allow air to flow through.

muA

• CoNtRoVeRsIaL, plant boy and Deepwaterdude like this

#3 CoNtRoVeRsIaL

CoNtRoVeRsIaL

I'm Just a CFL kinda Guy

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1271 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

Yessir! even after a couple years its still hard to pluck those fan's!lol

Edited by CoNtRoVeRsIaL, 20 January 2017 - 03:53 PM.

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger and Deepwaterdude like this

#4 grayjay

grayjay

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Not so much a scrog but I do grow up through a lattice grid that is made up of a 3/4" pvc frame with monofiliment fishing line for the grid. I veg till the plants about 6" above the grid then cut it all down to about 6" below the grid. I give it usually three days to come out of shock then flip to 12/12. At the end of the 2nd week it's usually well above the grid so sometime before the third week I lollypop the plant up to the bottom of the grid. If they get to tall I've no problem pinching a stem and laying the offending branch over and strapping it down. It gives me a fairly dense canopy that's about 12" thick which is all my light will penitrate any way.It all works pretty well for me.

• CoNtRoVeRsIaL, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

#5 CoNtRoVeRsIaL

CoNtRoVeRsIaL

I'm Just a CFL kinda Guy

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1271 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thats awesome man.

#6 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16730 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 06:34 AM

just topping for me as I turn the plants every day

• BikerPepe, KnuckleDragger and Deepwaterdude like this

#7 grayjay

grayjay

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:46 AM

If the screen gets too thick with bud one can make tubes of flyscreen and fit them through the plane of buds to allow air to flow through.

muA

Thanks muA, that seems like a good idea. I'm going to try that.

#8 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:50 AM

beats having mold to deal with, eh?

I'm also fond of getting multiple shoots growing vertically well above intended screen height and then spending a night plcking sunleaves, placing the plant under the screen and lots of bendybendy to get the vertical growth bent and spread under the screen....if done right you place the plant from veg under the screen, perform your bendybendy and a few days later when the screen is full, flip 12/12, the buds then grow through and above the screen. When this happens, remove all leaves and shoots BELOW the screen for improved airflow.

muA

Edited by IammuA, 21 January 2017 - 11:55 AM.

#9 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationIn the midst of it

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:59 AM

Mornin' GP, been a while! Hope everyone's well enough. I'm sorry the political thread got closed, as I wanted to say that I'd vote for IammuA's platform any day of the week;) A chicken in every pot! Pot in most chickens! Scrog is a close second as a preferred topic. 

I love it for the reasons everyone's already mentioned; support, canopy control, better yields, etc. That said, these things are most important for small space/tent grows with limited headroom, etc. SO the scrog is superimportant to the micro grower, less so to those growing in large rooms or outdoors, where the scrog nets tend to provide support more than anything else. SO space would be number one determiner of scrog or not imho.

A few people on this site turned me on to modular scrogs, as in one screen being fixed to each pot, a personal scrog if you will, allowing it to be transported out of the grow area for cleaning, maintenance, bucket changeout etc, while not disturbing the plant. This is SMART. Best scrog tip I've gotten. 

Another determiner (now that I've written it twice, def not a word) would be the strain. In my recent sativa-scapades, I've come into contact with some plants that don't branch at all except in clone form; i.e Nepalese-Jamaican. I could tie this down, top it twice, fart in its face-no stopping this girl. Very difficult to supercrop. One thick column with any "branches" hugging the mainstem, and basta. And no stopping her from flowering either. Mountain genes. Other plants are bendy like bubblegum, stretch 5x, love and respond well to topping, cropping, piching, farting etc, so if you know the strain well, you'll choose a good/the best way to grow it.

Scrog will take more veg time than letting an untopped plant go as she is, obviously, and about the same as mainlining or manifolding plants from seed to create 8/16/32 tops all coming from the same node. Great way to give each top equal light from above and equal juice from below and tends to give the same sort of result as scrog without lesser branches. 

In summary, the space you have, the time you want to spend and the adaptability of the strain'll tell you if scrog will be efficient or not. If I were like Plant Boy, and had that great space to put christmas trees into flower, I'd stress the plants and myself less. If I had to maximize my 3x3 tent, scrog would be a great method.

Gooday all, dwd

• BikerPepe and KnuckleDragger like this

#10 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:08 AM

Dude, ya can be my secretary of budsNblunts!

muahaha

The modular scrog concept works great, I don't use it as I have limited access to good quality milk crates.

muA

• KnuckleDragger and Deepwaterdude like this

#11 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:29 AM

My dream job! Deal, but no vetting! 

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#12 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Vetting IS mandatory.... YOU WILL BE TESTED...you must pass this tess with 100% marks.

Testing criteria are as follows.

You have a pound of bud. This must be consumed and a pizza ordered, said pizza to be consumed. Fizzy drinks are allowed :D

muA

• BikerPepe, KnuckleDragger and Deepwaterdude like this

#13 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:17 PM

So a repeat of yesterday? Fizzy drink, check; pound, check... I'm thinking chipotle, onion and sweet sausage on the pizza? Or can I sub that thing in KD's sig?

#14 grayjay

grayjay

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Or can I sub that thing in KD's sig?

That made me laugh...I was thinking when I saw it how messy that thing would be with the pepperoni on the outside of the bun. I'd have to be really stoned to even attempt.

#15 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

Th@'s 'cause KD dropped his and put it back together...you ever heard of the 3 second rule? Hysterical

muA

#16 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

Ten seconds over here. 30sec to one hour if no one else around and the cats don't get it. :o)

#17 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 19882 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

Scrogging is great, but don't forget LST, which is usually my preferred method with Sativa's...

gallery_5862_656_5093.jpg

• Deepwaterdude likes this

#18 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Scrogging is great, but don't forget LST, which is usually my preferred method with Sativa's...

gallery_5862_656_5093.jpg

True dat; they tend to respond and branch really well after any sort of lst. I think the sativa stretch is a bonus for this. Having seen a lot of popcorn in my time, I'm digging mainlining if I've got the time for long veg. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users