• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

I have been gifted some beans made from [I think, will need to double check] bubblegum and an amnesia haze elite clone.

I have my first male from the batch...it is an early flowering plant, has flowered even when getting 14+ hrs a day of sunlight...

I am going to save pollen from this male...and from any other males I get from this batch, and store it for use in breeding more of these beans.

My intention is to keep using this first cross generation of pollen with as many succeeding generations as I can....backcrossing is the technical term I believe.

I know I need to get more info on the parents...gonna do th@ and post the info here.

I seek an open discussion on breeding and backcrossing as I attempt to get this project underway, so any opinions or suggestions are welcomed :D hehehehe

pics of the plants in question soon.

muA

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18495 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:10 AM

I have a juice fruit clone that has turned into a male , should I let him finish and save that pollen?

• Tokecrazy and KnuckleDragger like this

#3 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

If you know it was female and it has turned male then the pollen will make femmed seeds...I would not want to breed from the offspring because of the chance of hermies...especially is the whole plant has turned male....but the seed from crossing the pollen will be femmed...so for growing purposes  I think it would be ok but for breeding purposes, no.

These 2 seeds were in a female plant bud....and the only ones found on the entire plant. so I am guessing 1 or 2 flowers went male...which compared to a whole plant going male is a different thing.

If the strain is really good, go for it and grow the offspring for bud....but not if you want to do further breeding with them.

muA

#4 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18495 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:58 AM

will give it a try

• Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger, Deepwaterdude and 1 other like this

#5 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:20 PM

Here is the 1st male of the bunch....about 60cm/2ft tall.

Attached File  P1010452-2.JPG   129.46KB   0 downloads

Attached File  P1010456-2.JPG   112.29KB   0 downloads

Lots of male flowers forming on him :D hehehe...in the next few days I will cut the top 2/3 off and save pollen from it, leaving the rest of the plant to hopefully reveg and allow me to collect more pollen.

muA

#6 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18495 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

Here is the boy juice fruit   Attached File  Picture 1567.JPG   132.18KB   0 downloads    He's about 3 feet tall

• Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger, Deepwaterdude and 1 other like this

#7 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

When the flowers are getting full and ready to drop pollen one can simply cut the topmost part of the plant off, lay it on newspaper in a shoebox or lidded tub and let the pollen drop over the course of a few days, then collect it for use/storage.

muA

• Tokecrazy and Verwegener like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users