5 replies to this topic

#1 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:26 AM

Hi,I grow in soil,using BioBiz nutes and would like to try to encourage my roots systems to help increase the yield of my plants.I have switched from plastic buckets to fabric pots,which helped but would like to try other additives/methods to help the root growth further.
Can anybody recommend any articles or advice.Cheers.

• Tokecrazy, Bueller, plant boy and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Turf

Turf

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1996 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:46 PM

what size containers are you in?   #1 rule for root growth is don't overwater.  roots need as much air as they do water.  thats why the fabric pots seem to work better, because they dry out faster.

the bigger the container..... the easier it is to over water a plant.  

you want to water enough to wet the whole volume of soil, to the point of runoff, in the container.  then let the thing dry out.   that drying out is probabaly a week or or more.  

an oid grower told me.... "never water a plant until its fekking toungue is hangin out".  that may be an exaggeration but growing dryer is healthier for the roots than growing wetter.  

an innocullum product called "Great white" has the mycorhizae for root/water assicioations and trichoderma as a fungal protectant.  those are the 2 ingrediants worth putting into your rootzone.

good luck!!

• BikerPepe, Bueller, plant boy and 3 others like this

#3 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:38 AM

Dead on Turf.I'll be using 27lt fabric pots.Greenhouse seeds have a good website,they post videos for various grow of different seeds.They always recommend letting the plant dry out between feeds.Will have a look at that Great white product.Cheers.

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

#4 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:59 AM

has to be the right ph'd water or it will lock the roots out

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger and Deepwaterdude like this

#5 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 28 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

Turf has it covered. Big enough pots, and don't overdo the water and ferts. Soil is pretty forgiving, but if you screw it up, it takes a lot of work to unscrew it.......

• BikerPepe and Deepwaterdude like this

#6 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

helps if you can learn to feel the leaves.  freshly watered, they will feel healthy and robust.  as they start to dry... they'll start to feel weaker and flimsier.

over time, you'll get the feel and get to know your babies.  each strain, different sizes, etc. can consume at slightly different rates and then there's seasonal changes that effect temp and humidity.  "scheduling' is great but doesn't account for variables.  you can always use the moisture meter... but being "in touch" with your babies is always a good thing.

• KnuckleDragger, Turbo, PowerFlower and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users