Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

Submitted by 

Kilian PhilosopherSeeds January 25, 2016

Plants with microscopic mites

Cannabis crops need optimal temperature and humidity parameters in order to remain free from pests andmolds, otherwise they might be attacked by many infections. Knowing the different pests that may attack our plants is crucial for choosing the correct treatment for each type of pest. This is why you should always have amagnifying glass at hand to check both the surface and the underside of the leafs, so you can detect any parasite on your plants.

When we speak about mites, we normally think about these small mites that we can find everywhere in our home, or the renowned red spider mites (Tetranychus Urticae), which attack many types of plants including marijuana and that we’ll discuss in a future post.

Here we’ll se the different microscopic mites that can attack cannabis and become a true nightmare for the grower, since it is actually one of the worst problems that one can have in his grow room.

P8270147-1024x768.jpg

Microscopic Mites In Cannabis

How to identify microscopic mites

It should be noted that, if our goal was to decribe the taxonomy and biology of these subclass of arachnids, we would new a whole new post just for this purpose, so we’ll focus on those mites considered as agricultural pest. We have basically three types:

Eriophyidae: Sexual reproduction, around 0,1-0,2 mm long, withish colour. They feed and live on live tissues, never on dead plant material. They are often viral vectors – virus carriers – of several plant viruses, and infect plants via saliva.

Tetranychidae: The most common type, in which we find the red spider mites orTetranychus Urticae. They have 4 pairs of legs and are about 0.5 mm long. They are sucking mites, and we can easily observe small yellow dots on the surface of the leaves from their bites. They prefer the underside of the leaves to live and reproduce (sexually). They have three different life stages:  larva, nymph and adult.

Tetranychus-urticae-236x300.jpg

Tetranychus Urticae

Tarsonemidae: Small mites (between 0,1 and 0,3 mm), withish or yellowish-green colour. Females have 4 pairs of legs, while males have 3 pairs. Males are usually smaller and have a couple of rigid claws, with which they carry the nymphs (immobile stage between larva and adult) and hold the female during copulation.

fig-12-a.jpg

Tarsonemidae female

We are going to focus on eriphyidae and tarsonemidae, which are not visible to the naked eye – as happens with tetranychidae. We need a 50X-100X magnifying glass to observe them, otherwise they’ll remain unnoticed until plants start showing symptoms of infection.

They often generate confusion among growers since we have several types of microscopic mites attacking crops:

• Polyphagotarsonemus latus. Also known as white spider or broad mite.
  • Polyphagotarsonemus pallidus, or strawberry mite. May be confused with the former.
  • Calepitrimerus vitis, or grape leaf rust mite.
Broad mite and cannabis

The first tarsonemidae identified as “microscopic mite” in cannabis crops. It may be confused with the strawberry mites (Polyphagotarsonemus pallidus). Premature detection is crucial to avoid major damages to the crops. They can act as viral vectors, carrying different viruses that could infect the plant via saliva, since they are sucking mites. The growth of plants is slowed down and leafs develop malformations and deformities, evennecrosis in severe cases.

Grape leaf rust mite in cannabis crops

This tiny eriophyid mite is able to reproduce in a wide range of environmental conditions. It is one of the most common pests in vineyards, and it has also reached many marijuana grow rooms. They can carry any type of plant virus and is really difficult to control once established in a crop. It inhibits plant growth, especially on younger shoots, and also flower and resin production. Leafs develop severe malformations and finally die if not treated right away.

Cannabis bud with mites
Management and treatment of microscopic mites in cannabis plants

To control the attacks of this devastating mites we must know the exact type of mite we are dealing with. We can find effective treatments in most cases, although if symptoms are severe we’ll probably have to discard our plants and start from scratch.

Eriphyidae mites like the grape leaf rust mite (Calepitrimerus vitis) can be trated with:

Biological pest control: Mites from the  ácaros de la familia de los phytoseids are commonly used: Typhlodromus pyriTyphlodromus phialatus or Kampinodromus aberransattack this pest and help managing it. Never use pesticides that could hrm these predators.

Chemical pest control: These are the most effective active principles to combat eriphyidae mites:

• Bifenthrin
  • Acrinathrin
  • Azadirachtin
  • Pyridaben
  • Sulfur
  • Azocicloestan
  • Fenbutestan
  • Hexitiazox (thiazodiline)
  • Fenpyroximato(fenoxipiridazol)
  • Flufenoxuron(urea)
  • Pyridaben
  • Propargite
  • Spirodiclofen
  • Abamectin

Tarsonemidae mites like white spiders (Polyphagotarsonemus latus) can be trated with:

Biological pest control: Use of Amblyseius swirskii and Amblyseius californicus is very effective, also against other types of mites, especially with high temperatures and low humidity levels.

Chemical pest control: Tarsonemidae mites can be effectively treated with the following active principles:

• Sulfur
  • Dicofol
  • Endosulfan
  • Fenbutestan
  • Hexitiazox (thiazodiline)

• Bueller, plant boy, anothertime and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18433 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

to us they are the borg

• anothertime, KnuckleDragger and BrotherWill like this

#3 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

As I Bow Before You... This I Know O' Master Of 'DEATH TO THE BORG !' 

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#4 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

Safe usage of pesticides has become a big deal in Colorado. The regulators are clamping down on growers who use certain types and have even closed grows after finding a bottle of a banned pesticide on site. As a grower who makes edible oil I cannot use any pesticides at all, so prevention is the only option. Indoor only, lots of sticky traps, Gnatrol (a natural soil additive), sand, diatomaceous earth and super clean grow all help. I use pesticide outdoors, around the perimeter of the building, for ant and spider control. The yellow stickys are especially good around the stem. Hahahaha, someone is OCD! There are some new "safe" pesticides that claim to be effective, but if I wouldn't eat it, it cannot go on my plants. Who am I kidding, I don't even let water touch the leaves because I juice some of them.

tent%20day%2052_zpsqcjeasqq.jpg

• BrotherWill and Deepwaterdude like this

#5 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

VERY Well Stated 420 ! Yes, All Excellent Safe Products To Use. You're SO Correct---> Prevention Is Key. My Hat's Off To You !

We Up Here In Oregon Have Been Keeping It Organic For Many Years. I Feel The Same Way... If It's Unsafe, Why Put It Into Your Body.

Oregon Tilth And Others Have Certainly Kept It Clamped Down Too. Keep Up The Fine Work You're Doing. Stay In Touch... We Love Reading 

About What You're Doing. You Must Be Super Proud-It's Truly An Art-A Gift. Thank You So Much For This Post Back. Just Wonderful, Peace Will

• 420circuit likes this

#6 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Why thank you for the compliment, as a newbie grower and oil maker it is nice to get positive reinforcement instead of the usual online insanity. This is my little tent today. Unplugged the lights yesterday and am going to let them sit in the dark a couple days before harvest. 64 days of flowering and not a single bug. Even the sticky traps are clean except for the leaf bits that they collected. day%2064-1_zpse4rlpa6s.jpg

• KnuckleDragger and BrotherWill like this

#7 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

Oh Brother, They're Just Gorgeous !!! I Noticed How Well You Must Have Met Their Needs. I'm Referring To Your Pot Size-Which Speaks

Volumes Of Your Talent. Genetics Of Course Help Too. But Your Attention To Detail And How You Think Reminds Me Of Myself And I'm

Sure MOST Of The Great Growers We Have Within GP. You Absolutely Deserves Compliments. Those Beauties Are SO Out Of Sight !

Thank You SO Much For Posting... BTW Good Idea To Shut The Lights Off And Let'em Know For Sure That It's Time.

Well Kind Sir, I Must Go. Must Be At The Hospital By 1:30 pm. I'm Beyond Super Impressed !!! Excellent Job !!! Peace, Brother Will

• KnuckleDragger and 420circuit like this

#8 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

One Last Thing-You Flush... Such An Important Aspect Some Forget To Do. I Can't Stand Dark Green Bud. The Greener The Meaner It Is On One's Body.

Nitrates And Nitrites Being Such Carcinogens. You're Right On Course Letting Them Take The Nutes Right Out Of Your Plants. I Always Try

To Get Them As Light Tan/Brown As Humanly Possible. We Still Give Away MJ Products On A Smaller Scale After Running Our Free Co-Op Critical Care.

15 Years And After We Sold 3 Out Of The 5 Houses We Took A Long Break. {Was Mostly Family And 2 Very Tight Trusted Friends.} So Rewarding As

I'm Sure You Know Very Well. Bless You For The Kindness And Quality Medicine You Help Your Patients With. Have A Blessed Day, Peace... BW

I'm Gone See Ya Soon... Happy You Are Onboard With Us. A Pleasure Indeed !

#9 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

These 4 plants flowered 64 days, have been getting molasses water for the last week and now clear water. 72 hours dark this time, I usually just go for it, but these are for premium smoking material. Wish that I could sell it, but sadly, no way for me, too many people looking and too much to lose for me to break any cannabis laws. The regs are pretty strict in Colorado, you can grow it, make oil with Everclear and generally enjoy it, but no sales for us regular folk. I can buy it but can't sell it. Someday there will be balance, but not yet. I have given away about half of what I have grown and more than half of the cannabis oil, but after an asshat stole most of a harvest last summer, I stopped being involved and dropped out of a local grower group. Can't trust people, it only takes one bad apple. But it is fun to chat about this stuff online. These forums are where I learned to grow and have enjoyed playing with the cannabis enormously. Actually, if I have too much on hand, it winds up with the Weed 4 Warriors group, saw them at the Cup in Denver last year and donated a few ounces of GranDoggiePurp and Goji OG. Great group of people. This is a Harlequin bud, just finishing the oil capsules from that grow, the edible oil was way better than smoking it, the strain makes me nervous, but is a nice buzz.Harlequin%20soil%20day%2051%20bud_zpsoou

• KnuckleDragger, BrotherWill and Deepwaterdude like this

#10 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:25 PM

Unreal, Very Beautiful. Yep, We Can Grow It, Buy It, But Can't Sell It. Same Up Here. We Have Plenty So I Too Like The Give Away Part.

However Reading This Below:

I have given away about half of what I have grown and more than half of the cannabis oil, but after an asshat stole most of a harvest last summer,

I stopped being involved and dropped out of a local grower group. Can't trust people, it only takes one bad apple.

Yes Sir... Most If Not All Of Us Will Admit We Also Had To Keep Learning Those ard Lessons. Those Who Do Grow For Others

Know That They Are Connecting Up With A Totally Stranger In Most Cases. Our First Two Years We Dealt With Anyone Who Said The Needed Medicine.

Big Mistake. After I Met The Coolest Pharmacist Ever She Kept Sending Us Only The Worst Off Or Dying. So Yeah, It Happens To All Of Us.

Some Like Me Can Be A Big Sucker. Always Was Hard For Me To Say No.

But it is fun to chat about this stuff online.

Just A Suggestion: You Do Know When You Hit 30 Posts You Can Put Stuff In The Off The Record Forum ?

So It Gives A Bit More Privacy.

These forums are where I learned to grow and have enjoyed playing with the cannabis enormously.

Far-Out... Some Of Us Are So Old We Remember When Their Wasn't An Internet... LOL ! Yeah... For Years Now There's Everything One Can Imagine

On How To Grow The Finest Herb Around. GP Is One Place Where Nobody Gets In Your Face. This Great Site Encourages And Supports So Well.

Excellent Donation ! Nervous Eh ? Sounds Like It May Be Leaning More Towards The Sativa Side ?  Can Make You Buzzed {And Soar Like An Eagle}

​Finally I Have Some Balance Using A Sativa As I Can Get And I'm Growing Some Sativas Now. I Also Enjoy Indica As Couch Locked As They Can Get.

Made Hash And Earlier Today/Nice Light Tan 1st Pass. I So Love Kief/Kif And Hashish.

I Haven't Looked At Leafly Yet But I Thought Harlequin Was High CBD ? I Must Be Wrong If You Get Such A Nice Buzz.

Boy Oh Boy... She's A Beauty No Lie. Nice Picture Tak'in Too 420 ! Again, I Thank You Very Much-You And Someone Else Sure Made My Day !

Peace And Welcome. We're Happy To Have You... All Our Pleasure. Brother Will

One Idea That Pops Up: Could You Lower The Oil Dose To Take The Edge Off ?

#11 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Harlequin should have around 50% CBD:THC, not sure about the strain's different sources, I was running a clone, but stopped after finding an all-CBD plant. I process it just like the usual, making edible oil, and add it to my daily dosing regime. Does not impart any high but does give a calming sensation and some joint pain relief. Not much, but some. If you want to see what the guys in Colorado are growing, latest, coolest buds and strains, check out the instagram and twitter groups, some of the crosses being developed are exceptional. I may go back in, but not for a while, been working on making some lotion, a premium topical with pain relief properties. Also planning a knock down edible oil, something super sedative from GDP and decarbed to include a touch of CBN. I need to grow out more of the GDP first, so making a few clones this week. Fun to experiment. As far as dosing, anything 100mg and above, of edible oil, seems to plateau the mental effect, so increases beyond that just have longer duration. At least that's how it is working on myself after a few years of almost daily use. I think that translates to 50mg of THC, which would be 5 X the max amount that a serving can contain in a dispensary. I think. The laws keep changing and the news is not very good at explaining the details. I picked up a shaker type kief sifter and have enjoyed it on smoking buds, nice way to enjoy a bowl. That bong hit of Cheese Candy sure has made the morning entertaining, time to go shovel snow!coffee_zpsix7bqz9r.jpg

#12 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:44 PM

Wooow Fascinating Read !

As You Said Above: "Does not impart any high but does give a calming sensation and some joint pain relief.'

I'm A Mycologist... I've Found Great Relief At Low Dosages With My Inoperable DDD, 21 Degree LevoScoliosis,

Osteoarthritis In My Left Hip And Left Hand Fingers-Starting Up Now In My Right Fingers. Mushrooms Provide

So Much More Flexibility/Mobility. {Not Talking About A Dose To Get High Off Of} One 1/2 To 1 Cap Is Perfect For Me.

{Caution: I Am Not Suggesting Anyone Should Take Anything That Could Harm Their Body-Mind Or Hurt Them In Any 

Way That Could Possibly Get Them Into Trouble}Not Advocating-This Was Learned From An Older German Grandmother

From The Old Country To Help Her Be Mobile And With Less Pain In Order To Help Prep Meals For The Family. Very Sweet Lady.

Hope You Have The Remaining Original GDP Strain/Word Has  It From Ken Estes GDP Is Now Variances Of 3 Strains Of GDP.

Let's See If I Can Find Ken's Picture Along With Some Of The Finest Breeder/Growers Around.

12644707_1557992584520675_87460114739354

Ken's A Really Great Dude... He's In The Back Left With The Popular Demand T-Shirt On.

This  Pix Was Taken Right After The 'Secret Cup In Oregon.' Headband Was A Winner... Anyways I'm Rambling Sorry.

I Really Like The Idea Of The Pain Lotion. Some Who Sell A Pain Balm Is Either Loaded With THC Or CBD

Or The Kind Of Wicca Recipe Where The Roots Of The Cannabis Plants Are Boiled With Other Ingredients Added.

Nany Believe It Or Not Are Quite Good And Without A Drop Of THC/CBD.

I've Had A Hard Time Feeling RSO Or Medibles. The Most THC In Milligrams I've Taken In One Fast Setting Was 

A 500mg Kron Bar {Sp ?} Waited The Entire Day And Way Into The Night-Hours & Hours-> Nothing.

I Knew They Were Active Due To Watch A Young Lady Budtender Freak Her Boss Out Cuz She Got So High Off Of

A Kron Bar But No More Than 50-100 mgs Of THC. I Suspect It's My Liver Or My Brain's Main Receptor Site For Cannabinoids.

Yeah, I Love My Shaker Sifter/Grinder. Adds Up. Nice Open Mesh Then Finer Below. Yep Things Keep Changing All The Time Here Too.

I'm Going For Some Hot Chocolate Envisioning You Snowing Naw JK. Go Easy. Again, Another Excellent Post I Thoroughly Enjoyed.

Thanks Very Much... You're A Very Good Writer As Well. Have A Blessed Day... May Good Luck And Especially Your Skills 'Shine'

Brightly As We Get This Awesome Privilege To Watch Your Craft In Action. Not Far Off For Curing... All In Good Time. Peace, BW 

Edited by BrotherWill, 03 February 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#13 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Edible cannabis, applied against disease, who would have guessed. In 1979 I lined a closet in a rental apartment with foil, put in shop lights, pots of dirt and bag seeds. Must have hit 150 degrees in there. If anything had grown I was facing serious jail time, but wanted cheap weed bad enough to try it. Times have sure changed. Today is trim day, planning to make cookies after trimming the Purple Trainwreck as it will stink up the place. These 4 strains are first runs, so took clones and will be testing them over the next few weeks. Critical Jack, Yumbolt x Vintage 2006 and HSO Blue Dream are the others in this batch, looking for something fun to smoke. Finished the last of the Harlequin capsules last night, going for an oil made from Ambulance (303 seeds), a high CBD strain next. The strain specific oils are interesting because I get to experience both the smoked and edible effects.

Been working on a moisturizing lotion that imparts serious pain relief, something that is not practical to market because it would be too expensive with around 24 grams of decarbed cannabis oil per gallon. I'll take pictures when blending the first batch. Going to decarb in coconut oil, whip with beeswax, aloe and premium lotion base. I have asked NORML to get involved with the regulators in Denver, to see if an exemption can be granted for a lotion product that contains cannabis, to exempt it from the regs, because the cannabis cannot be removed or used as an intoxicant. Looking to sell it at the Farmer's Market this spring, hopefully with an effective amount of extracted oil. Testing begins this weekend. If I can find a reasonable amount of the oil to impart pain relief, there might be a product here, only way to find out is to try it.

#14 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

The strain specific oils are interesting because I get to experience both the smoked and edible effects.

Going to decarb in coconut oil, whip with beeswax, aloe and premium lotion base. <--- Great Blend.

A Very Good Question To Ask---> "I have asked NORML to get involved with the regulators in Denver, to see if an exemption can be

granted for a lotion product that contains cannabis, to exempt it from the regs, because the cannabis cannot be removed or used as an intoxicant." 

The Last Non-Infused Pain Rub Someone Made For Me Was Using The Roots And Other Herbs/Just Prior To This, I Was Using A Infused Lotion

Which Was 100mgs To Each Oz With 2 Ozs Per Container. Don't Know If This Will Add To What You Think May Work For Your Upcoming Lotion. 

Hope My Little Tidbit Of Info Helped ? In Conclusion, Both Pain Rub Lotions Worked/But In My Case, Only Taking That Hard Edge Off Of 

Severe Pain I Have. 420 You Buddy Are Getting A Following As You So Deserve. These Guys Here Are Just The Best KD And DWD... More To Come.

Great Read... Enjoyed Each Post-Great Skills And Luck On The Lotion Too. Peace Be With You... BW

#15 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thank you, the amount of decarbed cannabis oil that I was thinking is around 24g per gallon, why I mentioned impractical to market. The amount that is needed to be effective is what I'd like to find out, so mixing this weekend. Maybe I should call it Stupid Strong Power Lotion. Put a pic of Hulk on the label. No reply from NORML yet, maybe I'll stop by their office today, met them at the Cup in 2015, they seem to be active , and there is another chapter in Boulder, perhaps they compete, so I could hit them both up and see if I can get their attention.

• BrotherWill likes this

#16 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

Maybe I should call it Stupid Strong Power Lotion. Put a pic of Hulk on the label. LOL That's Great !

No reply from NORML yet, maybe I'll stop by their office today, met them at the Cup in 2015, they seem to be active , and there is another chapter in Boulder, perhaps they compete, so I could hit them both up and see if I can get their attention.

That's A Brilliant Idea. WE All Wish You The Best For Finding Out What's Most Effective This Weekend WooHoo ! Plus, I Hope It's Not Impractical To Market.

Peace 420 And Steady As She Goes... Can't Wait-Exciting. Peace, Will

• 420circuit likes this

#17 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

Made the first batch and found it has too much beeswax, so tried a blend of premium lotion base, coconut oil and cannabis oil. 1g per 4 ounces. This one is nice, testing continues. lotion1_zpsmvyrj3gr.jpg

• KnuckleDragger and BrotherWill like this

#18 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:17 AM

This Is A Wonderful Sight To See. With The Sharp Mind You Have, You'll Get It Down In No Time. Great Start ! Testing Continues-Cool.

Oh... I Wanted To Remind You, Although Since You're Legal And In A Legal State No Worries. All I Wanted To Say Was To Take

Advantage In GP's 'Off The Record Forum.' A Members-Only Place, Away From Guests And Search Engines. You Must Have 30 Posts To Participate Here.

You've Got 30 Posts. Sorry 420, I'm Certainly Not Trying To 'Push' This Choice On You. It Just Keeps It A Bit More Cozy Among Those Of Us Who Care

About Having More Privacy. Of Course Kind Sir, You Are Always Free To Post Anywhere You Would Like. It's Excellent Having You Right Here Too.

For Myself... I've Nothing To Fear. Can't Sleep Ugh. I'll Check Back Or Be Somewhere Within GP, Another Site Or FB. I'm Grateful You've Been Posting.

Pictures Are Perfect ! Take Great Care... Will

#19 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:23 AM

Cannabis In Harvest Mode-Just A Day Or Two Away. From Friends I Know Who Do DWC {Deep Water Culture}

Check This Out---> cannabis-just-before-harvest.jpg

4:20 am Fire In The Hole !!!

Told Them To Get Rid Of The Books. 

• anothertime likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users