BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hello friends.

I've been making what some people call "Keef or Kief" for years now.  I picked up a "keef" box at the local head-shop a few years ago but was originally taught the method by my dear old Dad.  When he did it... he used silk screen to lightly rub the weed across, so the THC crystals would fall through the screen and onto a glass panel, where he would easily scoop them up and use them for cooking or direct applications.

Out of all the methods of extraction I'd ever tried to read about, this one has always seemed the simplest and safest to me... especially these days when we hear of all these explosive extraction methods going wrong for less experienced DIY'ers.

Personally... it takes me almost a year of my medical grow, using removed but trichome cover leaves and bud trim to screen off about 1/3 a qt. jar of "keef" (we used to call it "fluff").  I fill the rest of the jar with 190 proof Everclear and shake the jar a few times a day for a month or more.  When it's finally dissolved and absorbed all the THC, we strain out the fluid and toss out the slush.  This stuff is exceptionally strong and powerful.  One shot glass put me down and out for a solid 36 hrs. just a few yrs back.  Normally, you just use a dropper to apply the stuff in much smaller doses.  Point being, a few drops each day in some apple or orange juice or straight with a chaser, and you're good to go.

So... our old keef box has finally gotten so clogged up that it's almost unusable.  It's made with a steel screen but it's just a hair too large and allows too much vegetable matter though anyway, so I'd like to try and get back to the old school and use silk screen.  You can buy them already framed and everything but here's the problem...

Dad keeps referring to the right size of mesh.  Unfortunately, all he can remember is .02 or #2 silk screen.  I don't know if he's off his rocker or if the industry changed its format... but the only mesh sizes I can find for silk screen now are 150, 180, 200, 300, etc.  I'm considering trying to buy some 200 size silk screen mesh but I just wanted to check here and see if anyone else uses this method of extraction and if so, what size mesh is working for them.

So how 'bout it GP peeps?  Anybody got a clue on this?  TIA!

Edited by BikerPepe, 07 November 2015 - 12:37 PM.

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:46 PM

I use 150 micron here..Attached File  Dry.JPG   135.57KB   0 downloads

Found this years ago, made sense and was a good post from 420 magazine...

MICRON VS LPI Mesh sizing

The US and some other countries use the " lines per inch " or L.P.I. method of identifying mesh, which is a measure of how many strands contained within one linear inch of the mesh. 200 LPI mesh will have smaller hole size openings compared to 100 LPI because there are twice as many lines of fiber per inch.

This LPI method does not take into account the fact that different mesh have strands that vary in thickness, which alter the hole size opening.

The rest of the world uses the metric measurement system for mesh sizing. The
"micron" - measures the inside width measurement of each mesh hole opening. This is a far more accurate method for determining the mesh size openings.

ex. "200 micron mesh" has larger mesh openings compared to a "100 micron" mesh.

Comparison of mesh measurements
L.P.I. / Micron
83 / 200
110 / 150
137 / 120

Approximate Micron mesh sizes for hashing

Passive trichcome collection -
Use 150 ~ 160 micron mesh ( 100 ~ 110 LPI )

Active flat screen -
Use 140 ~ 120 micron mesh ( 115 ~ 137 LPI )

• BikerPepe, plant boy, Bong and 1 other like this

#3 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2258 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

great that is :D

i'd hit that hahahaha

Bong

• BikerPepe, Bueller, plant boy and 1 other like this

#4 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:03 AM

Great info Pete.  Thank you so much.

One question though... does your powder always look so dark?

Ours generally appears a lot lighter in color.

Of course... the tincture itself comes out such a dark green, it's practically black.

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

#5 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 09:31 AM

Depends on how deep I took the run,, amber trics darken the pile up quite a bit in this batch... usually a lighter tan/white

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger, Bong and 1 other like this

#6 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:13 AM

ah... makes perfect sense.  thank you again my friend.

• Bueller, plant boy and BrotherWill like this

#7 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:41 PM

BP I Had The Same Problem With A Large Area Of Steel Mesh In My First Kief {Kif} Box.

It Eventually Did Exactly The Same As Yours Did. Then I Bought An Electric Industrial Tumbler

From Amsterdam {Only Place I Could Find One At The Time.

And It Seems Like Forever We've Been Making Kief From Dry Ice {C02} 

We Usually Let It Go Just First Past. But If Extra Specially Stoney We'll Go Two Passes Max.

Oh Lord Alcohol Would Just Kill Me If I Had That Powerful Tincture Bro. Sounds Great I Wish Eh...

Good Kief'in Brother BP ! Peace, Will

P.S. Pete... BTW Excellent Post On The Mesh ! Thanks Very Much/Glad I Saw It.

• BikerPepe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users