#1 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

I have grown several times indoors, but thanks to all the help I got on GP, I decided to try outdoor growing (second season outdoors). I am having very good success this year with Sensi Star, and  a local cross of Presidential OG X Blue Dream. My area has had a very bad infestation of swarming flies. From what I have read, they are basically house flies that gather in massive  swarms, then lay there eggs in the moist soil, to come out and swarm again. I must have 1000's of them on my plants, on the wet ground (soil) leaving fly spots all over the leaves and buds. I am about 2 1/2 weeks into bud, and am concerned about the damage to the plants due to fly spots, and flies getting stuck in the buds. I am currently hosing down the plants every week to get the old spots off, but by the next week, they are covered again. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

• Bueller, plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

Netting possibly, but I've never had anything that bad. You might check with your local ag extension service and see if they have any answers. Just them your growing flowers. :)

• Bueller, plant boy and tre93543 like this

#3 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

Netting possibly, but I've never had anything that bad. You might check with your local ag extension service and see if they have any answers. Just them your growing flowers. :)

I am way past the point of netting i think. I have 30ft x 30ft garden, and a 10 to 14 foot canopy, with nothing to anchor the nets too. I was expecting a 6 to 7 foot canopy at most, but these girls went nutts on me. not that I am complaining too much.

I am not sure what you mean by ag extension service?

• plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

You should have a local county extension agent... http://www.ipm.ucdav...ficefinder.html

• plant boy and tre93543 like this

#5 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18512 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:41 AM

got grasshoppers not flies so no help here.

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#6 Old Guy

Old Guy

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

You might try spraying them with Neem Oil.. It has a wide range of uses, one being eliminating pests in organic farming. Can be purchased in most garden centers.

• plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#7 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

You might try spraying them with Neem Oil.. It has a wide range of uses, one being eliminating pests in organic farming. Can be purchased in most garden centers.

I'd use a combination of Neem oil with good old fashioned soap.

• Old Guy and plant boy like this

#8 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

FYI, I found a great way to knock the number of flies down to maybe 5% of what they were. gorilla tape on the ground, hanging from the bamboo support stakes, and anywhere else I can get it to stay. Regular duct tape works too, but not as good. With the gorilla tape, I bet I was catching 2 to 3 thousand flies in a 24 hour period.

Here is a pic of my Presidential Kush X Blue Dream.

Attached File  DSC03377.JPG   145.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC03379.JPG   150.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC03380.JPG   146.67KB   0 downloads

This is the first run of these seeds, I did not expect them to be stable, but i am in the fourth week of flower, and no hermies yet. And the color, never expected that. I am showing 3 different phenotypes. One is giant, 10 to 12 feet high, and about 8 feet wide and lots of purple on the hairs. One is about 6 to 7 feet high, and x-mas tree shaped, normal white hairs. the last is giant like the first, but only normal white hairs.

I cant wait for October to come around

• KnuckleDragger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users