#28 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationIn the midst of it

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:14 AM

Thanks fer lookin' in, Pete + Plant Boy! I'm havin fun.

They're cruising now @day6 flower, puffing up like adders. SD2 has fatter flowers than her sister. Makes me wish her clones hadn't kicked the proverbial bucket. That Hgk could easily fill the tent herself.
Res change tomorrow, on to week 2 early flower GH regimen, 'cept without the Gro.

The Dwc system is in need of a tune up for flower; gotta degunk the tubing and drip heads, maybe even give 'em a short flush, get some of that salt buildup gone. The thing I hate w/ scrog+Dwc is that once those babies are in the trellis, there's no more root gazing. That, and there's no way in hell I can move the grow into another room or whatever. Not at all flexible, so better planning than usual would be advised.

I'll be doing the first of 2 major defoliations on Wednesday @21 days 12/12, then another at 45. They're still stretching a bit, making a pretty even canopy @8-10 inches above the trellis.
Anyhoo, have a great day everyone, dwd

Edited by Deepwaterdude, 06 September 2015 - 10:16 AM.

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

#29 GeneralSmokeUppington

GeneralSmokeUppington

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 06 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Lookin' good DWD. It's not too late to take a few more cuttings ;)

I still get notified when PB posts. Sometimes when there's a post in my thread. But not much else.

:salute:

Edited by GeneralSmokeUppington, 06 September 2015 - 06:04 PM.

#30 jm420

jm420

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Locatione.coast ,and then some

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

New testing from a VERY trusted bro is that there is an AN line that works beyond belief,, major yield increases and growth dynamic, is a business crop and the costs are well worth the expenditure,, we shall talk, I wouldn't of believed it either

Sorry for the yakin on yer grow ...  1400 and they look great!

yeah i switched to an ,with the results pete said,its pricey but pays for itself

couldnt give my op on dwc though

but i will vouch for coco

things look great DWD, next run ya mite wanna gonsider doing a modular scrog ,it also gives the option to rotate plants

this was 6 plants 2 week veg using gh "lucas" Attached File  grape.jpg   25.9KB   0 downloads

ya still have access to the root zone,this is dwc but im sure with some thought ya could modify for your set up

looking forward to seeing the sd,as i'm a big fan of diesals and chems

• Bueller, plant boy, GeneralSmokeUppington and 2 others like this

#31 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

yeah i switched to an ,with the results pete said,its pricey but pays for itself

couldnt give my op on dwc though

but i will vouch for coco

things look great DWD, next run ya mite wanna gonsider doing a modular scrog ,it also gives the option to rotate plants

this was 6 plants 2 week veg using gh "lucas" attachicon.gifgrape.jpg

ya still have access to the root zone,this is dwc but im sure with some thought ya could modify for your set up

looking forward to seeing the sd,as i'm a big fan of diesals and chems

Thanks for stoppin in, jm420, huge fan of diesels meself;) I've started going according to the formula, too. Looking forward to some decent results. thanks for the inspiration.

So they're at day 10 flower, pics are of this morning, third day after a massive defoliation (supposed to be at day 21 and 45 of 12/12). They've got about three weeks before I go at them again. For the last two days I kept ppms @1000-1200 and they showed no burn, even stripped, so today I upped the ppms to 1350-1400, see how they go.

I added a new canopy fan, and got three 5 gal buckets that I will change out this weekend. Expecting fireworks after that.

They're stretchier than I would've liked, make a crowded tent and canopy, but they're also already sugaring up and looking really healthy.

The gang in action

Attached File  IMAG0305.jpg   210.67KB   0 downloads

Overview

Attached File  IMAG0306.jpg   270.7KB   0 downloads

Near fan, mainstem of SD1, the other tops are HGKush

Attached File  IMAG0307.jpg   210.66KB   0 downloads

Underview; tops are 5-10in above screen

Attached File  IMAG0311.jpg   219.71KB   0 downloads

SD1 buds

Attached File  IMAG0312.jpg   197.45KB   0 downloads

Holy Grail Kush, last two.

Attached File  IMAG0313.jpg   310.82KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0314.jpg   354.93KB   0 downloads

Next update they'll be wearing new shoes. Only 50 more days to go!

Dwdude

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 3 others like this

#32 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18182 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

starting to bulk up nicely 

• Bueller, GeneralSmokeUppington, CrazyDave and 2 others like this

#33 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

starting to bulk up nicely 

Really, Plant Boy? Cool. I'm always worried i'm doing something to stunt them, like the defoliation for example. Famously impatient.

I'm going to put back the LED they vegged under to boost wattage in flower. Lessee, 400 + 160 I think, for the LED.

Gooday all, dwd

#34 jm420

jm420

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Locatione.coast ,and then some

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

be patient dwd,but i will trim big fans ,a few at a time,dont hack your way through the jungle :wink:

open up gradually to let light in

not trying to hijack but heres a shot of how i modular  scrog

a chemm sd crossAttached File  IMG_8584.JPG   173.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_8585.JPG   118.92KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_8586.JPG   102.28KB   0 downloads

#35 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

be patient dwd,but i will trim big fans ,a few at a time,dont hack your way through the jungle :wink:

open up gradually to let light in

not trying to hijack but heres a shot of how i modular  scrog

a chemm sd crossattachicon.gifIMG_8584.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8585.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_8586.JPG

Thanks jm, in the future, you can bet this is what I'll be doing.Yeah, I don't think I did the plants any favors with the timing in early flower of the defoliation. That said, I know everybody panics first time around.

The key word to this update is decimation. I changed out the 3 gal buckets for the two Sour Diesels and broke a ton of coveted main branches under my definitely non-modular scrog. I'm devastated and so are the plants. I almost culled the grow but held back somehow. The HGK is still in her 3 gal and is intact and doing well entering the 3rd week flower. When I changed out the buckets of the SDs I pruned the roots, that weren't in great shape, and there was a ton of sludge in them. At least after getting the #$@ kicked out of them, they may enjoy a growth spurt. I'm hoping the HGK will survive another month and a half in her 3gal bucket. Sigh. Always a bit of drama.

#36 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18182 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

I would only trim any future fan leaves if they start to yellow , as some wise lady once said " the fan leaves are the buds solar panels"

• Bueller, GeneralSmokeUppington, CrazyDave and 2 others like this

#37 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:19 PM

I would only trim any future fan leaves if they start to yellow , as some wise lady once said " the fan leaves are the buds solar panels"

At this point Plant Boy, I'm humbled, thrown off my game; not gonna bother the girls for a while. Really takes the wind outta your sails to screw up this big. Next time one plant moveable friggin' scrog. Such a dumbass to try and switch out the buckets under trellis... seriously. i may try to spread out the branches again, extremely non-violently, heh.

They're at 2.5 weeks flower, the HGK is doing OK, but not flowering super aggressively, though maybe my expectations are too high. She also shows a tad of burn on her tips, which I'm actually happy about. The SDs are either less sensitive or just drinking water, no burn.

Pics for tomorrow. I think I lost 3 or 4 main branches from the SDs, plus some auxiliaries, and there are still 3 or so in intensive care. 

Last note, I've got some Beastie Bloom I'll start adding soon. Any suggestions when? Gooday all, dwd

• Tokecrazy, Bueller, plant boy and 3 others like this

#38 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

hey, folks, beginning week 4 flower, they're at around day 22. Res change yesterday, going onto mid-bloom GH nute regimen. I added 2ml/gal gro to the Lucas Formula to see if any difference in aggressiveness. Here're some pics.

These first two are before lights on this morning.

Attached File  IMAG0340.jpg   146.36KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0343.jpg   133.53KB   0 downloads

the tent w/some added LED on the SD#1, front right.

Attached File  IMAG0338.jpg   225.72KB   0 downloads

SD buds (ten week strain)

Attached File  IMAG0335.jpg   208.23KB   0 downloads

Da mix

Attached File  IMAG0337.jpg   220.99KB   0 downloads

HGK buds (maybe able to see tip burn)

Attached File  IMAG0325.jpg   246.06KB   0 downloads

There you have it. Flowering is finally getting to an interesting stage.

Here's a question for you experienced hydrodudes. My ppm pen is off by at least 200ppm. Reads higher. So the girl's soup reads in between 1500-1800ppm, while actually is @1300-1600. The SDs have not had any tip burn whatsoever, the HGK has, maybe due to past defoliations. I don't feel, and am a tad surprised, that my dwc is getting much better action from the babes than coco or even some soil I've done. My suspicion is that I'm light on feedings, lighter than I'm aware of. Here's the question; if they're not showing nute burn when the pen's reading in the correct spot according to GH or higher; 1300-1500, is it that they are able to avoid nutes and are doing so, or that there's not a heavy concentration of them? I don't even know what I'm asking. Anybody had recirc dwc underperform? And why was it in the end? Night temps get into the 50's here, day temps are sometimes over 80, but not by much. Any ideas? Ah, yes, defoliation. I think my timing was a tad off.

Gooday all, dwdude

• Bueller, plant boy, GeneralSmokeUppington and 1 other like this

#39 CrazyDave

CrazyDave

I'll never drive a jeep except in days that end in y

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1623 posts
  • Locationby the herbs.

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:51 AM

pretty wide temperature swing there  and temps over 80 aint gonna help.....I think different PH meter manufacturers use different scales, so that could be your PPM variant....Im not a hydro guru, just my 2 cents :D

#40 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18182 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

they like the cooler temps while flowering , lets them know it's fall

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger, GeneralSmokeUppington and 2 others like this

#41 GeneralSmokeUppington

GeneralSmokeUppington

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

pretty wide temperature swing there  and temps over 80 aint gonna help.....I think different PH meter manufacturers use different scales, so that could be your PPM variant....Im not a hydro guru, just my 2 cents :D:

Pretty close Dave. This is a tad fuzzy for me, so Google to the rescue ;)

If I remember correctly. The pens/meters use a conversion factor to display ppm's. It's 4 or 7, or is it .4 & .7?

Anyway, it makes a difference in the reading. The units don't actually read ppm's. They convert the reading to ppm's.

As for your penchant for defoliating, "if" the fan leaf is blocking a bud from the light, try moving the leaf out of the way. If that doesn't work then remove it. Personally, I would not remove any till around mid way myself and only if I can't get them to stay out of the way ;) Otherwise like PB said, only pull the yellow leaves ;)

• Bueller, plant boy, usstoner and 3 others like this

#42 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hey, fellas, 

pretty wide temperature swing there  and temps over 80 aint gonna help.....I think different PH meter manufacturers use different scales, so that could be your PPM variant....Im not a hydro guru, just my 2 cents :D:

This is what I'm thinking, too; wild temps. Thanks for checking in, Dave!

they like the cooler temps while flowering , lets them know it's fall

Hi, Plant Boy, enjoyed your last cave update!  It's finally cooling down here in the high desert, so I'm hoping they'll find the sweetspot.  

Pretty close Dave. This is a tad fuzzy for me, so Google to the rescue :wink:

If I remember correctly. The pens/meters use a conversion factor to display ppm's. It's 4 or 7, or is it .4 & .7?

Anyway, it makes a difference in the reading. The units don't actually read ppm's. They convert the reading to ppm's.

As for your penchant for defoliating, "if" the fan leaf is blocking a bud from the light, try moving the leaf out of the way. If that doesn't work then remove it. Personally, I would not remove any till around mid way myself and only if I can't get them to stay out of the way :wink: Otherwise like PB said, only pull the yellow leaves :wink:

Thanks, General, I'm tucking at the moment; can't risk more stalls from badly timed defol. The ppm pen just reads high, I had it checked at the hydro shop. Def time for a new one as soon as I can. 

SO they're at 30 days flower or so, and they were good and stalled for a week or two, looks like around week three flower for a healthy plant. They all show < 1/8" tip burn, but nothing other than that. Leaves have not been reaching for the light for some time now, so I flushed a few days back with clearex, running the drip for 3 hours continuously, then putting them back on their 15 on 45 off rhythm overnight. The next day (yesterday I think) I changed out the flush water, gave a dose of CalMag and set ppms at 900. They seem to be drinking strongly again and producing new pistils, especially the SDs, so I hope dialing them back down will help them get their rhythm again. I'll take pics today for tomorrow's post. They have a nice stink to them, irresistible really, and the Holy Grail is quite lemony. 

Anyhoo, thanks for your input, everyone. Gooday, dwdude

#43 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

OK, I've done some research on youtube about growstones and air pumps and I realize I definitely have minimal bubbling going on. I think next payday I'll get one of these http://www.amazon.co...&condition=used

If I can't get in there and change the stones, at least I can get them a bunch more air. Better late than never. 

#44 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21196 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

You have to watch the air stones since they tend to crap up...

• Bueller, plant boy, GeneralSmokeUppington and 2 others like this

#45 CrazyDave

CrazyDave

I'll never drive a jeep except in days that end in y

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1623 posts
  • Locationby the herbs.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

i tried some more expensive air stones, the best ones i found are the 4-6" blue ones from about anywhere for cheap.  when they clog or break you spend $3 for a new one.... :D

#46 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18182 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:55 AM

i tried some more expensive air stones, the best ones i found are the 4-6" blue ones from about anywhere for cheap.  when they clog or break you spend $3 for a new one.... :D:

I use those for my fishtanks

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger, GeneralSmokeUppington and 2 others like this

#47 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

Hey, fellas, thanks for the ideas. This is the vid I watched on air pumps and stones. Very basic demonstrations of each.

The industrial air pump churns out an unbelievable amount of air, no matter what stone is used with it. They say the GH one I linked to above is an in between; powerful but quieter. It's the only parameter I can change at the moment, anyhow. I'll pick up some of the 4" airdiscs before next time around. Now you guys have me worried one'll clog or break before the end of grow!

I took some pics this morning before and after lights on, day 32 flower. You can't tell too much by them, just fun to see, and I figure the girls are as healthy as they can be under the conditions, not showing too much burn, nothing recent anyhow. The leaves of the SD front left may be showing something, but could be just the door of the tent pressing up against it. PH is at 5.8-6, PPMs 900 still. Think I'll keep it like this until I add more air.

The first 8 photos are all similar before lights on this AM. SD #1 front right, SD #2 front left, everything else and some in between is HGK.

Attached File  671.jpg   136.99KB   0 downloads

Attached File  672.jpg   150.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  710.jpg   155.11KB   0 downloads

Attached File  713.jpg   160.43KB   0 downloads

Attached File  716.jpg   135.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  717.jpg   139.23KB   0 downloads

Attached File  719.jpg   87.97KB   0 downloads

Attached File  720.jpg   118.29KB   0 downloads

The next few are lights on. The green close up w/HPS light is my HGK reference bud. The lone top under the LED is SD#1.

Attached File  722.jpg   241.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  724.jpg   473.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  725.jpg   561.76KB   0 downloads

Attached File  726.jpg   526.46KB   0 downloads

Awright, thanks fer lookin' in, great day too youse, dwd

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger, GeneralSmokeUppington and 1 other like this

#48 Bueller

Bueller

Good Bye

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25979 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

Everything looks great... can see a bountiful harvest of dank coming your way.

• KnuckleDragger, GeneralSmokeUppington, CrazyDave and 1 other like this

#49 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

Everything looks great... can see a bountiful harvest of dank coming your way.

thanks, Pete, every little bit of encouragement helps! If I get a few ounces out of the grow, I'll be alright. T'will be some primo stuff, just small nugs, looks like. Learned a lot that'll help me next time around, about airflow to the roots, heat response, desirable burn, defoliation (apparently not at all good for Sat dominant strains like the Sour D) etc. The price for this knowledge is the few ounces I WON'T get. Can't think about that.

I'll probably harvest in two tiers; Take the top eight inches off then let the rest go another week or two. Of course, this moment is still more than a month away. Not even 5 weeks flower yet, so there's hope I can do a few things to maximize da yield.

Since I lowered the ppms to 900-1000, lifted the 400w a few inches off of 'em (between 12-16in) they're all producing pistils again, not fast, but they are growing. Sour D #1, right front, is the most aggressive and making the best colas... even if she's the one getting the most supplemental LED light. I would love to get them reaching up again, but at least they're not totally stalled.

I'ma gonna start a thread on flowering supplements like Beastie Bloom, see when people use them and in what combination. It's possible my adding a tad a week ago contributed to their stall, but I dunno. I'm ready to do it again. I'll be ordering the GH air pump tomorrow, once my check's in da bank.

Happy growin, dwd

• KnuckleDragger, GeneralSmokeUppington and CrazyDave like this

#50 Deepwaterdude

Deepwaterdude

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:26 AM

Hiya :salute: :salute: laserGP.gif, hope y'all 're well.

Day 39 flowa, calibrated my PH pen the other day and it was WAY off, like .6 or more. That explains the stall, too, trying to drink @ph4.8. So they're back at @6ph, 1000ppm give or take, starting to add Beastie Bloom 1/4tsp gal this weekend when I add the GH airpump, on its way from Amazon.

Here're da pics before lights on this morn and as they warm;) They're definitely growing again and still have about four weeks left. SD 1 has the best buds so far.

Attached File  IMAG0364.jpg   258.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0365.jpg   314.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0367.jpg   130.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0368.jpg   119.72KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0369.jpg   136.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0370.jpg   127.18KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMAG0373.jpg   170.06KB   0 downloads

And That's the news, folks.

Attached Files

• GeneralSmokeUppington and CrazyDave like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DWC, ph, hydro, scrog

0 user(s) are reading this topic