29 replies to this topic

#26 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Very True...I SO Dislike The Smell Of Electric Wires Burning. But I've Always Keep Them Around For Anything.

Mainly Said ABC Because Many Don't Know There Is A Difference. Gosh, Burning/Smoldering Wires What An Awful Smell.

I Remember When We Used To Have To Turn Our Systems Off When Our Electricity Went Off. Having

To Wait The So-Called 10 Minutes Before Plugging The Ballast Back Into The Running Timer. Then Years Later I Think Most

Manufacturers Made Bulbs That After A Power Outage They Would Come Back On By Themselves. Am I Right

Anyone Else Ever Experience That Change ? Just PM Me {Off Topic} Certainly I Know This May Sound Too Much But

If You're At Home Or Where Else You'll Be Growing Orchids... That Outlet Must Be Grounded As Well. {Sorry, But I Had

A Funny Thought: Imagine If All This Info Was Given, All To Find Out This Ballast Had A 2 Pronged Plug ?} Not Laughing

About This At All, Just A Weird Passing Thought... Which In A Different Way, Actually Happened To Us At Another Site. 11 Pages Or So Long.

• KnuckleDragger and Blue61 like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

A fire extinguisher is a good thing to own in and of itself. MH has never had a real problem restriking after a power disruption because of its characteristics. HPS has problems because they are harder to start in the first place but modern ignitors will stop trying to restrike after a certain period, then wait and retry, it's still not unusual to have to unplug them and then plug back in to do a proper restart. The new digital ballasts you sometimes have to do it since they are designed to safe out under some conditions. Two pronged outlet are very obsolete but there are still a lot of houses that lack modern wiring. Personally I would run a circuit with modern wire so as to have a proper ground since the biggest danger is electrocution.

• Blue61 and BrotherWill like this

#28 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

I Do SO Agree KD...

You Said: HPS has problems because they are harder to start in the first place but modern ignitors will stop trying to restrike after a certain period, then wait and retry, it's still not unusual to have to unplug them and then plug back in to do a proper restart. 

For Myself, At 1st When Out OMMP Started  I Was Running 2~ 1000 Watt HPS Systems & 3 400 Watt MH's. When We First Started Critical Care Co-Op 15 Yrs Ago.

A Free Co-Op For The Worse Off Than The 1st 2 Years When We Got Tak'in By Younger People & Double Dippers.{Folks Who Had A Grower} {Long Story}

Anyway Both Lights Would Go Off. Then Of Course Without Whole House Electricity We Always Knew Run ! One Time With The Lights On Period We Had An

Outage. Something Distracted Me Before I Went Into The Basement... As I Hit The Last Stairs Both Were Coming Back On. Lucky Enough To Have Cooled Quite A Bit.

Now No Doubt...  It Could Have Been Hard On The Bulbs, This I Don't Know But I'll Bet If Not Completely Cooled Down Or Barely Warm. So If I Was Down There I Still

Unplugged Both HPS' And The 3 MH's. We Had Had Our Old Fuse System Replaced With Breakers... Oh Lord Was That Ever Worth Every Cent... Ground Fault Interrupters

{Caution Don't Use On Your HID Systems}. 3 Pronged Grounded Outlets & Whewy Breakers Instead Of Fuses !

Next Kd You Said: Two pronged outlet are very obsolete but there are still a lot of houses that lack modern wiring. Personally I would run a circuit with modern wire so as to have a proper ground since the biggest danger is electrocution.

I Couldn't Have Said It Better... Excellent. I Fault On Safer-Can't Have Enough. I'm Confident All Will Be Just Fine...  

#29 BrokenSpoke

BrokenSpoke

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Well I had to get a buddy of mine to come over and help but I got it installed. Needed a 2 prong 20amp breaker and its cheaper to run it at 208volts cuz its pulls less amps. 4 amps to be exact. Thanks for everything family and I will be on touch soon with some pics and I just might start a journal, if my wife let's me..... remember loose lips sink ships,so the less that know the better
  • KnuckleDragger, Blue61 and BrotherWill like this

#30 BrotherWill

BrotherWill

Brother Will

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3219 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

DARN ! I Just Wrote You Almost A Small Letter/Then Crashed Losing Everything That I Just Wrote Back To You.

{'I' Should ALWAYS Copy Along The Way While Typing Errr !}  Mad At Myself !!! Man-Oh-Man !... How Frustrating...

So For Now BrokenSpoke Looks Like One Down And 20-30 Things To Go. JK Not That Many.... Bless

These Dear Members Who Are As 'Sharp' As A Tack And Stay On Topic Until It's Answered Or Directions

As Where To Find Something. Within Seconds To Mere Minutes These Experts Will Find Or Know Through

Personal Experiences {The Best} Gosh, I Just Love These Folks And This Site Wooowy !} Take Great Care B. Spoke... Happy For You !  BW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users