Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Is a 15 watt T8 fluorescent tube sufficient to start clones ?

T8 fluorescent clones

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hi,I have a 15 watt T8 polylux fluorescent tube with it's fitting.On the label it says,830 Warm White colour ,with 1000 lumens.I plan to use the lighting to start off 4-5 clones before putting them under a 400 watt metal halide for vegging.

Is this T8 flourescent tube adequate for the job? 

Cheers.

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Barely, You really need a bit more though it's enough to keep them alive. I'd recommend at least a two foot 2 tube T-8 or 4 15 watt CFL's for best use.

• Bueller, plant boy, billybudsmoker and 3 others like this

#3 xxPeacePipexx

xxPeacePipexx

THC- Transcendence Healing Cannabis

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2399 posts
  • LocationA place between Heaven and Hell when said in English

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

It might be just enough to get them to root but that is all. Double it up and your clones will be much more apt to not being stressed when put under the halide..But for any serious growth under compacts you need a little more watt then this.. I use at min 50 to 100 watts worth of lamp to get them out the gate :)

• Bueller, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

This would be nice for a grow light but it's 4 foot... http://www.homedepot...Z2bcu19Z1z1159x

This is 2x2 and I've thought it would be great for mothers/starters.... http://www.homedepot...Z2bcu19Z1z1159x

If your just going to do 3 or 4 clones or starters you'll do alright with a couple of these... http://www.homedepot...c1vZbmatZ2bctr9

and a couple of these... http://www.homedepot...00PDQ/100354511

• Bueller, plant boy, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#5 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

http://www.homedepot...1vZc7qfZ1z113yy Best lumen's for the dollar

• plant boy likes this

#6 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hi,I have a 15 watt T8 polylux fluorescent tube with it's fitting.On the label it says,830 Warm White colour ,with 1000 lumens.I plan to use the lighting to start off 4-5 clones before putting them under a 400 watt metal halide for vegging.

Is this T8 flourescent tube adequate for the job? 

Cheers.

Hi Turbo!

We have talked before, and the Home Depot lights are cool but not available in the UK! LOL

Your flouro is equivalent to a 24 inch tube, 604 mm if I am correct.

The size of the fixture would be sufficient for the four clones in small pots,  whilst rooting before going over to your MH but the light spectrum emitted from the tube is more for flowering

The light spectrum you need for your clones, look for DAYLIGHT on the packaging or 860 CCT Daylight emblazoned on the tube

Cheers mate!

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger and Blue61 like this

#7 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hi XBRPete,funny i was just thinking this morning that Home Depot is some shop! It's mentioned all over the forums,just wish there was some here,lol.

I'm off to B&Q to have a look,thanks for the info.

take it easy.

#8 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

You should be able to buy most stuff like this https://www.hydroponics.net/i/136953 over there. Check the EU version of Amazon etc.

• plant boy and Blue61 like this

#9 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:27 PM

Went to B&Q,wide range of bulbs,fried my head.Would this bulb be suitable for 4-6 clones?

Attached Files

#10 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

The light spectrum is down in the red scale on those Turbo,,,,

Bayonet Cap (B22d) spiral fluorescent light bulb has an impressive low energy A rating. It has a 23W power consumption, which is equivalent to a 100W standard incandescent bulb and gives off a warm white light.

I was looking at the CFL's with the B-22 base,,, Ebay UK http://www.ebay.co.u...2-/190508613053

Homebase sell 18w Philips daylight bulbs for about £3 as do John lewis, National Lamps and Components, and here is a link,, free delivery,,, again,,, 6400 or 6500 K Daylight

http://www.energysav...ht-spiral-lamps

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger, xxPeacePipexx and 1 other like this

#11 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for your help XBRPete,I'll get that one off Ebay,is one of them enough for about 4-6 clones?

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger and Blue61 like this

#12 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:39 AM

You are welcome!

I would use at least three of them while they make roots for 4 to 6 clones

• KnuckleDragger and Blue61 like this

#13 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Ordered three of them bulbs,I won't need them for a while but better to be ready.I'm not great with clones so i want to try and grow them properly.I watched youtube videos and read articles on the net so I'll give it me best shot.

The timing of when to take the clones and then keeping them til the main plants have finished in the tent will be a bit of a challange but again I'll give it a good shot.

What are u guys growing?

#14 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Gday Turbo!

I did this post about 5 years ago,,, to supplement your articles, now I do cuts in a cup of water till they root then transplant,, I look for clones that are strong and this actually helps in my case where I do limited cuttings of F-1 stock I test for my buddy Kak.

http://www.greenpass...=+easy +cloning

Now I am growing, Damn Blues F-2 that I made, Bubble Wreck x Pineapple Princess ( Cindy  x 99 ) , Chrome Diesel x Pineapple Princess F-2 that I made with Kak F-1, Blue Dream x Pineapple Princess by Kak, a clone of my mother cutting of Hot Damn  http://www.greenpass...llion/?p=533776 and some F-1 cuts from previous tests that made the cut! LOL

#15 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for that cloning post,the 3 bulbs arrived so Ill be using them plus your info when it's time for clones.

When you said made Damn Blues F-2,do you mean cross pollinated the 2 different strains? What does the F-2 stand for? Usually i go for different strains but this year am growing just one,great White Shark ( a friend recommended it),I'm trying my first scrog and want all the plants to grow at the same rate.

Ta again,Take it easy.

#16 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

Evening Mate!

I made Damn Blues by pollinating a clone only called Hot Damn ( White Fire OG x ( Lemon Train Wreck x Chemdawg ) mother cutting with a short bushy DJ Short Blueberry Male, from that I made an F-1

From those F-1 seeds, I selected a female and male with Hot Damn dominant traits and bred them together to make an F-2 from which I have a female in flower and in clone form,,, this has taken two years so far! LOL

Cheers

#17 Turbo

Turbo

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

Hi again,you have been very helpful with your answers,can I ask your advice on one more thing?

I have a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2 tent,I vegging 4 great white sharks,they were germinated them 4 weeks ago and  have been in the tent for 2 weeks under a 400 watt metal halide,with soil as the medium.I would like to take clones to have a continious grow cycle.

The plants are 6-8" tall,all from feminised seeds.I have a small closet,32" x !9" x 4',with a 300 watt dual spectrum cfl ( that was my first grow attempt ).

When should I take the cuttings for clones.The plants in the tent have maybe 2-4 weeks of veg with 8-9 weeks on flower,I'm trying a scrog in the tent.If I take the cuttings during veg it would be approx 10 weeks before the plants in the main tent have been moved out to make room.

Is it best to take the cutting for clones during veg and not flower? Sorry for the long winded question. Cheers.

• Bueller and KnuckleDragger like this

#18 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

They are mature enough to take clones from right now and I recommend you take the lowest branches since they are the most developed.

• Bueller and Turbo like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: T8 fluorescent, clones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users