6 replies to this topic

#1 RoadKing

RoadKing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

Hey there, being an electronics techno geek this LED stuff is right up my alley. So after doing tons of research into light spectrums, diffusion angles, temperatures, heatsink vs fan etc etc...my buddy and I figured we had a pretty good understanding of what to look for in LED lamps. We then took to the net and found that we could buy them cheaper then building our own as originally thought. Alibaba.com is freaking awsome if you can stand dealing with the Chinese directly. I figured that since most of the lights are made in China anyway (the LED components mostly) we might as well skip several middle men. We found the CASA 300w LED Grow Lights for less then $100 each. We got 6 and they were about $105 each with shipping, got here in a week too. http://www.casa-laserlight.com (same light but not where we got ours)

They seem very sturdy and well built for something so inexpensive. I thought for sure they would be rinky dink but I was pleaseantly surprised at the quality and build.

The fans are a little noisy (3 fans per unit), but I only sit in my room 23 hours a day watching them grow and it doesn't bother me in the least. Somehow the corners of my mouth cover my ears from grinning so hard I figure. Outside you cannot hear them at all.

They are made using 100x3w LEDs. with 9 different spectrum lamps designed specifically for indoor gardening.

I have not plugged in my meter to see what they are drawing amp-wise, but it has to be less then my 600w HPS for sure. The rooms stay nice and cool with no heat issues to deal with.

I have used them for both vegging and flowering and they work just fine for both. I am just finishing my 1st full harvest with some small kush clones and they are as plump and sticky as can be.

I am going to do a side by side with 2x300w and the tried and true 600wHPS with the next crop to see what differences are there. Hmm, maybe a good idea for a grow journal he says to himself...

I found that the plants like them to be a foot away or so. You can get tiny light burns on the tips of leafs even though they are not that hot. I keep them about 16" from the closest part of the bush.

The penetration is superb with these. I put my light meter on the soil under the plant and the LED pegs the meter while the HPS gets about 25% deflection. HUGE difference for them little popcorn guys near the bottoms. Makes them all come to life.

So there you have it, my first official post, not counting intro. I hope I followed all the rules.

specs:

1. LEDS:100PCS*3W
2. 9 Bands for Indoor Plants Growth & Flower
3. Cooling:fan-cooled
4. Spectrum of Light: 410nm,430~440nm, 450~475nm,500nm,610nm,620~630nm, 650~660nm,730nm,and white 12000K
5. Black metal casing
6. Lifespan: 50000-100000 hours
7. Angle of leds:90/120°
8. Power:AC100V~240V/50-60Hz
9. Item Size:400*216*68mm
10. Net Weigtht:approx.3Kgs
11. Applicable for:indoor gardens and greenhouses use only
12. Packing list
1PC 300W LED Grow Light
1PC Manual
1PC lifting hook
1PC Power Cable(We can supply AU,US,UK or EU style)

• Bueller, KGBLuVR, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Very cool bro!

Love to see a side by side on your kush,,,, and your technical dissection of the LED technology should be top shelf

• KGBLuVR, KnuckleDragger, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#3 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21669 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

LED's are getting better though you do have to be careful about buying cheapies. If you can find setups using Cree LED's you'll get the highest output per watt, unfortunately Cree's ain't cheap. Looking forward to seeing how they grow.

• Bueller, KGBLuVR, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#4 KGBLuVR

KGBLuVR

A supporter of legalization

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

I would be interested in seeing how these perform as I was considering getting a Black Dog LED grow light for the same purpose. Mr. Tight just did a grow with one and it performed extremely well. The only issue is he chose some plants from seed and at least one of them hermed out and seeded all four plants in this test run. He is currently doing another test on another product that should compare to the Black Dog. I like the Black Dogs but they are very expensive. Looking forward to seeing these that you speak of perform.

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger and Blue61 like this

#5 RoadKing

RoadKing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

From what I understand about the various LED manufacturers, the actual LED themselves, They are rated by a "shelf" designation. Top Shelf being the super-de-duper Crees that are very costly ($50+ for each 5w diode) The lower shelfs, below shelf 5, are the ones to avoid. I found this useful while shopping the Chinese as they speak this "shelf" code and explained it to me. Now, whether or not this was BS, I cannot say, but it sounded good. So look for higher then 5 shelf number when shopping. The Casa, I was told were shelf 7 LEDs.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted.

One more thing about the LEDs. If you are epileptic you CANNOT get near these lights. When you go into the room the lights confuse your brain for a few seconds and you can get a slight dizzy sensation from them. This will pass in a few seconds and after awhile you no longer notice the differences, your brain trains itself to shift spectrums faster. It really was funny the first couple days in the room. I did feel a little weird and when I came out it was amplified and the colors were pretty interesting as my brain shifted itself back. Check it out, it can be cool.

• Bueller, KGBLuVR, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

#6 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Nice read RK.Really hope you do the side by side grow.

Peace,

Blue

• KGBLuVR and KnuckleDragger like this

#7 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:15 AM

I tried these a 6 or 7 years back and while it was fully possible and they definitely had some advantages in environments where issues like heat and electricity use are considerable, I wasn't overly impressed and quickly returned to the old, tried and true MH/HPS methods.

I do keep an interested eye out though, as I really don't think the technology has been optimized... yet.  It's increasing at break-neck speeds in popularity and that means further development, improvement and eventually better cost, so it's still worth watching and I'd be interested in seeing your results and how they compare in a side by side environment.

• Bueller, KGBLuVR, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LED, Light, casa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users