#1 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the south

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

I started this with not much more than a pray that I could actually grow something and to be honest I didn't care if it did or not.

Outdoor History

In mid April I threw 12 seeds in some MG potting soil not knowing that this is not the correct soil and set them in the window seal. 2 sprouted and 1 of them died after the second tier of leaves but the other one kept on growing...yeah! I transplanted it and set it outside around the 1st of May to grow and to my surprise just kept on growing. I thought to myself looks like I can't kill this one...lol...let's see if I can really do this. On the 15th I transplanted it again to a 1 gallon pot and it was looking great and then I fertilized it on the 21st with MG 30-10-10 (outside picture) everything was looking good until it started showing brown tips on the 22nd or 23rd. I knew I have to do something or it would rapidly go down hill as this was my typically results in the past.

Start of this indoor journey on May 25.

I searched online (not this site) and found that this was most likely a Nitrogen burn and should flush the soil which I did and then I transplanted it again into a 5 gallon pot and moved it indoors to a closet 3' 6"' x 4' 6"'.

I bought 4 Philips 23w = 100w CFL Daylight Deluxe each bulb; 1600 lumens / Light Appearance 6500 k and made a light chandler.

I started a timer with 18 hrs light/6 hrs dark. My daylight cycle humidity is 45 and temp is 75 degrees with a med speed on the fan with the closet door open to the bedroom. I do not know what they are on the dark cycle but I do turn off the fan and close the closet door to insure light does not get in.

Just found a Candy-stripped Leafhopper on my plant!?

Attached Files

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger, Blue61 and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hey... welcome again to GP.

Your plant is looking very healthy other than the little nibble and the tip burn.   That should be fine with the flush.  

MG potting soil that has the time released nutes in it is just way too strong for our plants... and they let you know it fast!   Not sure where you're at but hopefully you can find something a bit more suitable.  It was hard for me too... but finally found some good soil at a local nursery.

Your lights will be fine for 1 plant.   All my girls in the closet run under straight CFL's.  When it come to flower time.. you might want to mix the spectrum a bit and if you can add a couple more.   Keep them as close as possible without touching.   

Keeping fingers and toes crossed you have a nice little girl there. 

If ya need anything just give a yell and if you'd like.. check out my ongoing journal here... https://www.greenpas...-her-kittens/ 

Lots of pics in there of my closet and the cfl set up and the yields I get..... might give you some ideas ..Post # 138 shows my set up pretty much and the bud shots are throughout.

Hugs!

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger, PoeticLife and 2 others like this

#3 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thanks again kittypup, how much did it increase your ele bill and how many bulbs...do you know?

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger, PoeticLife and 2 others like this

#4 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18402 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

that little bit of power useage shouldn't up the bill that much. it's likeing it's new shoes and remember it's a WEED

• KnuckleDragger, Blue61 and KnowAndGrow like this

#5 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:57 AM

Thanks again kittypup, how much did it increase your ele bill and how many bulbs...do you know?

My closet alone didn't really change my elec. bill at all.   there are 16 23w cfl's in there... half 6500 and half 2700.   Very little increase but you have to watch the heat.   Once outside temps get to bout 70f have to run the ac and that's what ups the elec.  You shouldn't have much to worry about at all cost wise even adding a few more. 

Hope this helps..

Hugs!

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger, PoeticLife and 1 other like this

#6 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

is this a good ideal or not??? how do you know when they are ready to flower and when do you clone one?

Attached Files

Edited by knotspeeds88, 28 May 2014 - 12:51 PM.

• plant boy, KnuckleDragger and KnowAndGrow like this

#7 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21488 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:53 PM

Usually by age, at least 4 weeks in veg(more can be better). It looks good for a 1 plant grow.

• plant boy, PoeticLife and KnowAndGrow like this

#8 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:26 PM

Usually by age, at least 4 weeks in veg(more can be better). It looks good for a 1 plant grow.

good..it is 5 weeks now

#9 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

is this a good ideal or not??? how do you know when they are ready to flower and when do you clone one?

I'd get rid of the foil ... I think you really end up loosing more light than without it with all the crinkles and such..... Flat white paint is your friend and will work much better if that is doable.

She's looking good for sure! 

Hugs!

#10 KnowAndGrow

KnowAndGrow

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

Save the foil...it makes a great party hat :)

• plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21488 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

I'd get rid of the foil ... I think you really end up loosing more light than without it with all the crinkles and such..... Flat white paint is your friend and will work much better if that is doable.

She's looking good for sure! 

Hugs!

Foil ain't quite as bad as everyone think for reflectivity https://en.wikipedia...foil#Properties About as good as Panda plastic or flat white paint but it does tend to be delicate.

#12 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18402 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:04 AM

this is what you are looking for.once you see that it is a girl you can clone it if you wish or just top it to get it bushy           Attached File  SEXING1.jpg   78.39KB   0 downloads

• Turf, KnuckleDragger, PoeticLife and 1 other like this

#13 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Save the foil...it makes a great party hat :)

made a party hat just before there was fith :)

#14 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

this is what you are looking for.once you see that it is a girl you can clone it if you wish or just top it to get it bushy           attachicon.gifSEXING1.jpg

plant boy the link to your journal is not work for me...and no luck do a search to find it

#15 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18402 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

plant boy the link to your journal is not work for me...and no luck do a search to find it

click on the journey link under Plant boy's cave . should bring you right there. what are you using to be on the internet? IE, goolge chrome or fire fox, and are you signed in?

• KnuckleDragger, PoeticLife and KnowAndGrow like this

#16 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

this is what you are looking for.once you see that it is a girl you can clone it if you wish or just top it to get it bushy           attachicon.gifSEXING1.jpg

it this good or bad or not yet old enough to tell????

Attached Files

#17 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

click on the journey link under Plant boy's cave . should bring you right there. what are you using to be on the internet? IE, goolge chrome or fire fox, and are you signed in?

i am using fire fox and i am logged in, but it still will not find the page...The connection has timed out is what it says.

#18 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

found it plant boy...wow...that is impressive!

#19 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

it this good or bad or not yet old enough to tell????

I may be wrong and it still may be a bit soon to tell for sure.. but it's looking to me like you just might have a little girl there!  

Only time will tell sweetie.. but fingers and toes crossed for you!

Hugs!

#20 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18402 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:19 AM

thank you, i'm with kitty on this one , it does look girlish

• KnuckleDragger and KnowAndGrow like this

#21 KnowAndGrow

KnowAndGrow

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

Yup...I see the need for a training bra in your future :)

#22 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

Okay lady and gentlemen, I have doubled my lights today, bought a moisture, light, and ph meter all in one (cheaper than buying a ph and mosture meter individually), and also purchased some Fox Farm Oceans soil. Oh and i pick up a Burpee Seed Starter Kit as it was on sell for 1/2 price...$6.

I also topped or pinch the center little bud off my plant today, but after doing that I wished I would have just cut the top for a clone to get in a practice run. Needless to say I just ran haphazard today...bad thing to do! I do have great peeps here that would have gladly coached me if I would have just ask...sorry mentors, my bad, it won't happen again! So here are some question.

I have ordered 10 Pineapple Kush, 10 Orange Bud, and get 5 seeds for free (don't know what they are other than they are free :) ), and I want to be ready when it arrives. I don't want to start them all at once due to lack of experince, room and lighting at this time.

1.  That is the reason that I bought the  Burpee Seed Starter Kit (coconut fibers), plus they were half price...lol. So should I use them or just start them in the FF soil on my next seeds?

2.  Since I topped/pinched the center little bud on my plant today 5/31, how long should I wait until I cut it and try to clone it?

3.  Per the ph meter my soil is just above 7...should I leave it for now or low it right away? and if I do need to lower it how do I do that?

4.  Do I need to do any trimming on the plant to increase the light it is getting on the lower part of the plant or super cropping?

5.  When using the Fox Farm Soil will I still have to mix fertilize with the water or not?

for the meter in the picture note what position the slide button on the very bottom of the meter is set on to read (the button should is on the left for moisture , light is in the center, and ph is on the right)

What is a bra KG?

Attached Files

• plant boy likes this

#23 KnowAndGrow

KnowAndGrow

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Okay lady and gentlemen, I have doubled my lights today, bought a moisture, light, and ph meter all in one (cheaper than buying a ph and mosture meter individually), and also purchased some Fox Farm Oceans soil. Oh and i pick up a Burpee Seed Starter Kit as it was on sell for 1/2 price...$6.

I also topped or pinch the center little bud off my plant today, but after doing that I wished I would have just cut the top for a clone to get in a practice run. Needless to say I just ran haphazard today...bad thing to do! I do have great peeps here that would have gladly coached me if I would have just ask...sorry mentors, my bad, it won't happen again! So here are some question.

I have ordered 10 Pineapple Kush, 10 Orange Bud, and get 5 seeds for free (don't know what they are other than they are free :) ), and I want to be ready when it arrives. I don't want to start them all at once due to lack of experince, room and lighting at this time.

1.  That is the reason that I bought the  Burpee Seed Starter Kit (coconut fibers), plus they were half price...lol. So should I use them or just start them in the FF soil on my next seeds?

2.  Since I topped/pinched the center little bud on my plant today 5/31, how long should I wait until I cut it and try to clone it?

3.  Per the ph meter my soil is just above 7...should I leave it for now or low it right away? and if I do need to lower it how do I do that?

4.  Do I need to do any trimming on the plant to increase the light it is getting on the lower part of the plant or super cropping?

5.  When using the Fox Farm Soil will I still have to mix fertilize with the water or not?

for the meter in the picture note what position the slide button on the very bottom of the meter is set on to read (the button should is on the left for moisture , light is in the center, and ph is on the right)

What is a bra KG?

If you have kids, apparently none are girls....lol :)  Three daughters here, I should have bought stock in Playtex!!!

#24 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21488 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

If you have kids, apparently none are girls....lol :)  Three daughters here, I should have bought stock in Playtex!!!

Raised two daughters and threats of violent, painful death were often spoken to their boyfriends. Now I've got grandchildren to spoil.  :D

#25 knotspeeds88

knotspeeds88

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Raised two daughters and threats of violent, painful death were often spoken to their boyfriends. Now I've got grandchildren to spoil.  :D

LOL...I do have one daughter, thing is she is 38 yrs and I think she still wears the first one we bought her...and that one was just because she wanted to keep up with every one else. And the trreats only worked on the first one...now I have grandchildren :) and loving it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: First, Grow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users