• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 l3SV

l3SV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

so, ive seen a lil talk bout flushing, how, when, that type of stuff.  what id like to see here are the "whys."  why, do we flush, what does it accomplish?  id assume that back in the black market where weight is money, they would just feed nutes till the chop to make em bigger.  ive had many headaches and hives from smoking non flushed meds.  any one else have bad experiences to relate, in relation to flushing?

so in short, i THINK i know why for myself, but wanted to toss this topic into the ring for some others to chime in.

• Bueller, plant boy and Blue61 like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnowAndGrow

KnowAndGrow

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

From what I've read/heard, flushing gives the plant the chance to drive out any build-up of salts, nutes, etc.  You're just about to harvest (within 2 weeks, anyway) so my thinking is that as you provide only water, 1) the roots/soil drain out unused nutrients, and 2) any nutes in the plant are used up before harvest.  The effect is supposed to be easier curing, and a better smoke afterward. 

FYI - I've also heard that when you're going organic, you don't need to flush - but I'm going to anyway :)

• Bueller, plant boy and Blue61 like this

#3 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18485 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

flushing is to use up all the nutes in the plant as K&G has said, your plant is telling you it's done growing and needs to be rid of the nutes. if left behind in the plant it can effect the taste and how it burns

• Bueller and Blue61 like this

#4 l3SV

l3SV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

reason im asking, is ive tested my buds that are not flushed and im now covered w/ hives.  head to toe.  i understand the why of it with the plants i was thinking more from our pov as the consumer.  id be interested if anyone else has issues like this?

Edited by l3SV, 20 April 2014 - 03:45 PM.

• plant boy likes this

#5 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18485 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 05:59 AM

I always flush for 2 to 4 weeks so never had the issue

#6 KnowAndGrow

KnowAndGrow

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

You should also wash your hands after you flush....dude, I just couldn't pass that up...c'mon, you know that with me it was just bound to go there :)

Okay, back to the serious side of things for a moment - even with organics, think about the stuff that they put into fertilizers.  I know it's a little bit of a different situation, but if you were growing tomatoes, wouldn't you wash one before biting into it?  Same concept applies here, except - especially if you're smoking it - *every* chemical compound in that plant is going into your system!  Next thing you know, you're neighbors are whispering "Why is Bob glowing???"  "Oh yeah - he didn't flush his crop".

Since I'm a cheap sucker, I look at it this way...1) water is the least expensive "consumable" that I put into my garden.  The only thing cheaper is sunlight, and that's only if you're growing outdoors.  2)  By flushing, I'm getting the most of my money's worth out of the nutes I did buy, that my "green kids" have been hoarding for this day that they just knew was coming, and 3) I didn't really have a third item, I just really like to see the number 3.

Hope this helps.  If you still have the itch, let me know...I know of some naturopathic cures...

L8r!

K&G

Edited by KnowAndGrow, 21 April 2014 - 11:11 PM.

• plant boy likes this

#7 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18485 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

your such a comedian K&G

#8 KnowAndGrow

KnowAndGrow

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2084 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:57 AM

That's how it happens...Fozzy the Bear is just a by-product of some really good 420.... :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users