esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Hello all!

Proving that "He can be taught" I figured I should move my journal into the proper SubForum to keep things all nice and tidy.

My setup :  Less than ideal situation currently as my home is in a long process of getting sold so my grow area has to be kept small.  Currently using a single 600w ballast and a 400w LED.  A few LED Ufo's are used as well.  The idea was the 600w HPS/MH would bath the plant while the LED's would be aimed at the lower branches.  

No tents or anything at the moment, making due with the moderately reflective paint in the room.  

Original post with pictures up till now can be found here : https://www.greenpas...-dwc-adventure/

Strain : Applejack by Seedism seeds.

Well, here is the current picture of my solitary lady growing, complete with support strings and recent heat stress! grumble grumble.  Projected finish date is somewhere around Feb 22.

Attached File  20140120_far (Large).jpg   232.36KB   0 downloads

And a random developing bud.

Attached File  20140120_close (Large).jpg   214.1KB   0 downloads

Edited by esinohio, 20 January 2014 - 07:40 AM.

• Turf, Bueller and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Cool Eric@!

Lookin like a Sativa-diva  for sure!

Good lookin plant!!

• Turf, Bong, GeneralSmokeUppington and 1 other like this

#3 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Not really sure what to expect from a more Sativa dominant plant. 

• Turf, Bueller, Bong and 1 other like this

#4 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2258 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:36 AM

looking sweet esi :D

i had bad luck with last seedism seeds i used my hermie hippie killer.

beutiful looking lady you have

Bong

• Bueller and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#5 KaK

KaK

Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

cool ... another dwc guy hahaha.... looking good man..

#6 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Heck ya!  Official DWC nut ball here!  Going to have to take a stab at a good ol' fashioned soil plant at some point to test out my green thumb.... maybe... possibly... hehe

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger, GeneralSmokeUppington and 1 other like this

#7 GeneralSmokeUppington

GeneralSmokeUppington

Supreme Cannabian Commander

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1092 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

I ran DWC for a while with a good deal of success.

Interested in watching ya go for it ;)

:salute:

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger and Bong like this

#8 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Another week down with an estimated 4 weeks to go.  Only problem I've notice is some very light burn on the tips of the leaves (drying out).  I'm guessing this is nutrient burn?  To be on the safe side I backed off the nutrients a bit.  Everything else is humming along at the correct settings.  Temp, humidity, ph, etc are all dialed in.

I'm guessing that nutrient levels in DWC need to be dialed in per strain?  As in different strains will consume nutrients at different rates?  Or is there a general difference between Sativas and Indicas as far as nutrient feeding goes?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attached File  Jan27.jpg   309.36KB   0 downloads

• Bueller, KnuckleDragger and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#9 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

You might be a little high on nitrogen, not an uncommon problem. Sativa's can be a bit more nute sensitive though not always, a lot of time it come down to strain.

• Bueller, GeneralSmokeUppington and Deepwaterdude like this

#10 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

Another week down (roughly) and everything appears to be humming along. It was time in the nutrient regiment to start adding that Koolbloom dry.  Haven't used it before so I'm interested in just how much this late stage bloom booster is going to pan out.  It comes in at a 2-45-28 and seems alarmingly high compared to the other nutrients in the system but I'm already two days into the new chemicals and so far the plant appears happy.

Attached File  Feb01.jpg   298.5KB   1 downloads

The new baby plant is rocking right along.  Not looking to bad at just about two weeks here.  In an effort to keep things under some control I am flipping this one over tomorrow when I do its nutrients.  I'm curious to see the size of the final plant. Since I've had to drastically reduce my grow size now my future plants will need to spend their entire lives inside the cabinet so I'm trying to dial in the DWC setup for much much smaller plants.  So the experiment begins! 

Attached File  Feb012014.jpg   128.4KB   0 downloads

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Try the Koolbloom at 1/4 tsp per gallon.

• GeneralSmokeUppington likes this

#12 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

Weird, it won't let me quote the above post in my reply.

Thanks for the advice Knuckledragger.  I've had another bucket of water bubbling just in case so I'm going to go ahead and do the reservoir change then back down to that 1/4 teaspoon.  Keeping the pH in check these past few days has been nuts.  Since I introduced this Koolbloom the pH has been nosediving and keeping it in check has been a challenge for sure.  I'm guessing that just by the nature of the chemistry going on in there this is normal?

#13 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Yeah it's normal, depending on the type of chemical salts they can be pH positive negative or neutral. Koolbloom tends to be pretty acidic so you need to be ready to adjust up a lot of times since the regular nutes your already using tend to be acidic too.

#14 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

They look nice and pretty. I'm sticking around for this in case I decide to dive into DWC at some point.

• Bueller likes this

#15 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

They look nice and pretty. I'm sticking around for this in case I decide to dive into DWC at some point.

Come to the dark side! We have cookies...

On a side note, while doing my daily peeking at the plant I'm noticing the trichromes are getting cloudy, so far I'd say in the 50% cloudy/clear.  This one might finish up a bit earlier, woot!  Going to push this one to a good mix of amber/cloudy.

Keeping the reservoir temps in check in the cabinet grow is proving tricky.  Going to head out before the snow today and nab some insulation and rig up some barrier between the top and bottom as well as redoing the wrap around the bucket itself.  With luck that should go a long way to keeping those temps in check.  If not I'll have to keep it cheap and maybe use the frozen water bottle trick.

Edited by esinohio, 04 February 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#16 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

It's official... I'm a Sativa fanboy for life.  Wowsers!!! Ok the plant was chopped and hung out to dry a bit ago.  Just popped them into the bunkers for their cure.  Tried some of the uncured dry bud... holy cow.  And to think it will only get better as it cures and develops.  Giggity!  Today I'm going to make some shatter from the small popcorn buds and give that a whirl.  I'm trying to wrap my head around a more concentrated version of this buzz.

Attached File  chopped.jpg   179.19KB   1 downloads

The other plant is rocking right along.  I only vegged it for a very short time... or so I thought.  Turns out a small red light on a power strip might have been buggering things up.  Nothing like stressing a plant that from what I hear has dubious genetics to begin with.  So I fixed my error and the plant is now under 12/12.  Time will tell if it turns into a Frankenweed plant.  I'll add some pics of the little one soon.  

#17 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

Down to the fun art. :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DWC, Deep Water Culture, Hydroponics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users