Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo

forced hermie pollinated itself, how does this change the strain?

forced hermie uk cheese

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

I grew out a very thick uk cheese that had a couple of nanners that developed on the thick underside of the plant. They opened up, pollinated a few nodes, and gave me 4 beautiful seeds. Besids being female seeds, what should I expect from the genetic side of things? My understanding is that the clone only UK Cheese is a sativa dominant hybrid, so is there a calculated way of knowing if that may change?

• Tokecrazy, plant boy and teddys head like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21635 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

It won't be exactly the same but it will be very very close. The seeds will produce the same basic plant as its mother though there is that hermie reenforcement. Only way to know what will happen is to grow them out.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, teddys head and 1 other like this

#3 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

I have 1 in flower, and am looking forward to the finish. would these seeds tend to take on more of a sativa like a 75/25, or might it be more indica like 50/50. The original girl should have been a 60/40 i believe for the clone only UK Cheese

• Tokecrazy, plant boy and teddys head like this

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21635 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

They will be just like their mother. There is a tiny amount of possible genetic drift but you would never see it if there is.

#5 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

thanks, always helpfull KD

#6 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2251 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:23 AM

Morning stoners I got one eye open and coffee on a drip :P

KD got you sorted, tre there is a good chance the seeds will herm and could be worse than
The mum plant.

But if there were only a couple it shouldn't be as bad.

Bong
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, teddys head and 2 others like this

#7 silas

silas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

A lot depends on how the nanners got there.

If they were triggered by stress,such as a light leak,you've just made yourself some S1 fem beans.

If the line is hermie prone anyway and the nanners just appeared then this will more than likely be passed on to the offspring.

Are you sure it's the original Cheese cut you are running?

I've been growing the Exo cut for about 10 years in every kind of situation and never once seen it chuck a nanner.Also all efforts to reverse it with chemicals have failed to produce viable pollen,people have been trying for years with no luck.That's why the Dutch/Spannish firms use Big Buddah Cheese to make fems.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

#8 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21635 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

^^^What he said. You didn't mention the breeder which is a real variable. Some breeders try really hard to make clean genetics and some just chuck pollen. Normally for me if it has Thai genetics I watch it like a hawk for hermies. Other Sativa's I'll kinda watch them because they'll occasionally throw hermies if the breeder wasn't paying attention but Thai has a terrible tendency to hermie which sucks cause I do love me some Thai.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, Bong and 1 other like this

#9 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

The clone was a UK Cheese from a local place that I believe to be honest. I wanted to try some severe LSTing and this was one of my choices. I grow with CFL's so I do not get good light penetration. The plant grew very wide, and very thick. the underside did not get enough light is my guess. About half way through flower, I noticed a couple of dropped male flowers on the top of the soil. But no more on the plant that I could find. So I started searching the plant often, and later on noticed a seed. It did start to have more nanners later on, so I harvested early

When all was dried and gone through, I had 4 good looking seeds, and 2 bad seeds from only 2 nodes on the entire plant.

The last 3 pics are one of the seeds that I am growing out now.

I did grow one outdoors late last year, and it was great smoke, was gonna grow 2, but my cat ate the other. So I still have 1 seed left. only female from them so far

Attached Files

Edited by tre93543, 22 January 2014 - 10:37 PM.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

#10 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2251 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

i have just started some lemon thai KD unsure how long to vegg them for. they have a 12-13 week finish

looking forward to them i have never tried thai

Bong

• Tokecrazy, plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21635 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Thai is great stuff, a 6 week veg should do it.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy and Bong like this

#12 Bong

Bong

420 BONG FREAK

• Moderators
  • 2251 posts
  • LocationThe Void

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

cool KD thanks

Bong

• Tokecrazy and plant boy like this

#13 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

If feminized seeds are created by inducing female to produce feminized pollen, will this increase the chances of hermes from the created seeds??

Will strains remain more stable using male plant to make seeds? 

• Tokecrazy, plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#14 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21635 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

It's a bit complex but cannabis is a two sex plant (male and female) but genetically it breaks down as true female, female leaning, male leaning and true male. The true male and female genetics only show up in about 20% of a plant population the other 80% lean male or female, this is a survival trait. When a plant is put under a survival stress environment both male and female can produce parts from the opposite sex to produce seed (hermaphrodites). Good breeders look for true females by stressing them heavily and weeding out hermies. The females that maintain their sex traits are then chemically induced male pollen sacs and pollinate the crop, producing female genetic seeds. Now for the fun part. Even in true females the hermie gene is recessive and a very small proportion of the population (less than 2%) will have the reenforced hermie gene and can produce male parts. One of the problems is how much work the breeder is willing to do. With some of the wilder strains such as Thai the hermie gene is very dominate and takes many generations of breeding and culling out the bad genes in order to to produce quality true females but even with the best breeding the gene still exists and under certain conditions will still throw hermies. Of course if the breeder is lazy, not completely careful or just plain don't know what their doing, you will have fem seeds that will throw hermies at the drop of a hat. It all comes down to the skill of the breeder and how "civilized" his genetics are and it's a good idea to do a search for the various grows and find out how often and under what conditions their seeds throw hermies out.

• Tokecrazy and plant boy like this

#15 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18495 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

what they said. bong if it is a sativa just watch the hieght as they will strech lots in flower

• KnuckleDragger likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users