27 replies to this topic

#26 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20533 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

I know the joys of mis-plugging things. Nowadays I label the plug ends with some maskjng tape and a magic marker. It helps to kieep my tired old brain from farting quite as often...

• freddyc and Deepwaterdude like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#27 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:55 PM

Wise move!

When I remember to, I wrap a brightly coloured tape [electical] around the cable near the plug-end. It comes in a few different colours and I can have some onhand when needed.

Attached File  1316295095nitto-electrical-tape.jpg   91.13KB   0 downloads

muA

• KnuckleDragger and Deepwaterdude like this

#28 satty

satty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

cross breeding is some hard work, and it takes years to produce a stable

F1 grade strain. “F1” denotes that the seeds or plants have two true-breeding parents. The crossing of F1 hybrid strains produces plants whose characteristics won’t be the same as the original true-breeding parents, though they may share some. Plant quality is lost because the variation in genes is extended and making it less easy to foresee characteristics. The process is endless; F2s can be bred with other F2s creating F3s, with a further loss of quality.

An F2 made from two F1s give…
50% F1 trait for a given atribute.
25% Parent one trait for a given atribute.
25% Parent two trait for a given atribute.

However, if you backcross your F1 with Parent one again your F2’s turn out like this…
50% F1 trait for a given atribute.
50% Parent one trait for a given atribute.

Now, this is the bit that I suppose is the magic of backcrossing, when you breed your F2 backcross with Parent one yet again you get either..
100% F1 trait or you get..
100% Parent one trait.
These are sometimes called F3 backcross-squared and at the best thing about doing it this way is this actually LOCKS a high percentage of the genes down. you can then carry on breeding you F3 squared backcrosses with each other and you should not get too much fluctuation in the type. Really after this point you are really trying to select the best and strongest in the hope that you eliminate any weakness.

You might, and probably will find, at this point, that the F3 backcross-squared isnt what you were looking for when you started your project. It is then back to the drawing board to do it all over again in the hope that this time the genes fall a bit better.

It can, and often does, take years or even decades before a profesional, well, TOP profesional breeder has the seed that he was hoping to get when he started the project. He will not use the backcross route always, but will use it occasionaly, He will not release any seeds untill he is 100% happy and he knows that the only way he can really get to this point is by massive sampling rates selecting the best from hundreds of individuals for numerous qualities.
note where I put above that you get 100% F1 it should have read 100% F2 (50% F1 + 50% Parent one).

This is actually just scraping the surface, as there is lots more to breeding.

I dont have the patience to do it.

I'd rather buy my stable genetics, its worth it.

To be honest as expensive as femenized seeds are from a trusted vendor,

speaking for myself....they are worth the money.

I recently bought 10 fem mazar, retail is normally about 130 bucks,

but I got 'em on sale for 60 bucks, how can you loose?

just my two cents worth

peace out

thankyou :-)

• Tokecrazy and KnuckleDragger like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users