#1 skintner

skintner

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in NE Washington mountains

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hello, When boiling off the naphtha making RSO, does that process also decarboxylate the oil? thanks stk
  • teddys head, Blue61 and painretreat like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

Yes the heat from the rice cooker decarboxylates the RSO. So be sure not to lick your fingers until you are finished with the clean-up! guitar.gif pr

Edited by painretreat, 11 November 2013 - 10:26 PM.

• teddys head and Blue61 like this

#3 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Does the vaporization temperature affect the finish product? D-9 THC 157 F, D-8 THC 175 F, CBD 188 F. If the cooker was set at 188 F, will I get more CBD?
  • painretreat likes this

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21198 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

CBD is a parallel product of the plant. THC has multiple forms that are converted to a more usable form, CBD doesn't have these other forms.
  • painretreat likes this

#5 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

Does the vaporization temperature affect the finish product? D-9 THC 157 F, D-8 THC 175 F, CBD 188 F. If the cooker was set at 188 F, will I get more CBD?

It are both temperature and time taking care of decarboxylation.
When you follow the "Run from the cure" method as shown on youtube decarboxylation takes place during the final cooking-off at the coffee warmer.
An excellent article about decarboxylation, including a graph and photographs, can be found at the SPR website.

Edited by herman, 15 November 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#6 skintner

skintner

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in NE Washington mountains

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Thanks for the replies... skunk pharm doesn't actually cover the RSO extraction (that I could find) unless you are using alcohol. I could find nothing there about using naphtha other than a comment that it leaves a residue (benzene?) that is cancer causing. I have enough material now (leaf, budz, and trim) that I would like to do the RSO method using naphtha but I don't have a "rice cooker"... or naphtha. I'd like to just dump all of it into a bucket and do it all at once (saving some WW for vaping) and not worry about what bugs may or may not be in it. stk

#7 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

If naphtha is your solvent of choice, just follow the "run from the cure" video. As I said, decarb takes place during the final stage at the coffee warmer.

#8 capecarded

capecarded

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

I can confirm that it's just like in the video, when you have your RSO on the warming plate at the end, you can see the bubbles stop as the RSO does the final decarb. I've never used naphtha, 190proof grain alc. but I am looking into trying the naphtha next time. Strong stuff. My rice cooker doesn't go above about 175F . Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users