86 replies to this topic

#51 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

sawyer, no worries! I had to deal with much the same thing, and have ended up spending more $ than originally planned, but this board has been a tremendous place for help and info.

When autos start flowering, expect a strong, skunky/oniony smell. Even "low odor" strains - that don't smell all that much during the later stages of blooming - will just plain reek. It's the nature of the beast. I had to use a lot of ONA (Odor Neutralizing Agent) during my 1st grow, which was a supposedly "stealth" strain (Lowryder #2) that turned out to be intensely skunky.

I've done a couple of Word of Seeds Strains, as well as one from Buddha Seeds (he's in Spain; nice guy and is helpful) and even then, the period when all of the plants began to flower was by far the worst part.

"Low odor" is more like "next to nothing in comparison to this strain" rather than truly "low" in the smell department. It comes with the territory.
  • Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger, PoeticLife and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#52 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yep, low odor does not equal no odor and if the seed breeder says the plants are smelly that means they are gonna reek. :D
  • Tokecrazy, PoeticLife, sandbreak and 1 other like this

#53 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks guys! I guess I will just have to find out for myself how low odor the Nothern Lights actually is. I will probably invest in some ona as well just to be safe since I cant afford to get caught. (Never live in Illinois.) I'm excited to get the ball rolling on this, I just need to buy a couple more things like the fan+filter and pots and seeds and I'll be golden.
  • Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger and sandbreak like this

#54 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well nothing new yet, just put together the list of shit I have to buy after Christmas. Also debating whether to grow 3-5 La Divas by delicious seeds instead of NL (tough decision). They seem to finish faster and people still get 15-30g of good smoke from each.. They look delicious and many people seem to love them, So if everything goes well I will be starting this grow in 2-4 weeks. Thanks for following guys. I will start a new grow journal when i get everything going, I'm sure I'll need some help :) Here's my shopping list of everything I need to complete my setup: pH down and up pH test strips(will these work okay?) Bud candy, not sure if I need any other nutes, I've read la divas are sensitive to them. 36 quarts fox farm ocean forrest mix. and a 4" inline duct fan+filter combo 190cfm 2 gallon grow bags. After all this and then seeds I will be around $200, plus around 150 for my other supplies haha there goes my budget. Oh well, it will be worth it in the end. Is there anything else you guys recommend before I get started?

Edited by sawyer05, 22 December 2013 - 09:36 PM.

#55 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

I just figured I could pull more from 5 la divas than 1 bigger NL. But what do I know lol. The finishing time and good looking plants just looked good to me. If you think NL would be better I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by sawyer05, 22 December 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#56 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

I hate picking which strain to grow, I was all exciting about growing northern lights then I see la diva, but northern lights looks so good too, I just want to grow it all GAAAAsmiley.gif
  • KnuckleDragger likes this

#57 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:31 AM

I hate picking which strain to grow, I was all exciting about growing northern lights then I see la diva, but northern lights looks so good too, I just want to grow it all GAAAAsmiley.gif

A standard problem among growers.... :lol:

#58 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Well I moved into my new place and got the build going. Currently don't have internet so I have to resort to McDonalds WiFi lol. Got my carbon filter and fan and holy shit was I suprised when I saw how big it was. I was expecting a small inline fan and maybe a filter the size of a cold air intake on a car or something but damn, at least this thing will take care of any odors. I ordered a variety of seeds and got 5 freebies from attitude. I got Nirvana's auto northern lights, afghan kush Ryder, auto assassin, and diesel Ryder. Along with the freebies including fem white widow, auto amnesia, and 3 from sensi. Hopefully my internet will be ready Friday and I will be done with the box.

#59 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Depending on how small the area is you may want a controller http://www.harborfre...trol-43060.html to slow the exhaust fan a bit.

• sawyer05 likes this

#60 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

I would post a picture but can't seem to figure it out on my phone. The filter and fan are big but it only pulls 190 Cfm

#61 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

It does make a little more noise than I'd like so I will probably invest in a speed controller

#62 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

When you pop those baby's you should definitely start a grow log. I wanna tag a long for the ride. Certainly for those Diesel Ryders.

• sawyer05 likes this

#63 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Here's how I got the filter set up and just testing a set of my lights. 

Attached Files

#64 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

I definitely will Powerbombguy. I'm also using 10 cfls instead of 8, so 230 total watts and 16,000 lumens, so hopefully that will be enough. You think it would be okay to have 3 maybe 4 small-ish plants in 2 gallon bags? I'm gonna run a variety of strains at once. 

Edited by sawyer05, 16 January 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#65 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

well I got the lights all wired up with no problems. Not very pretty but it works. Now I just have to seal top put door on paint the outside and wait for my seeds to get here. 

Attached Files

#66 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

Can't wait to see how your stealth grow turns out!  Looking forward to your grow log and your experience with those Autos.  Started my growing journey with a few autos myself and along with help from this community was able to produce some quality smoke.... a lot of it! 

As for picking your strains I share your dilemmas.  So many to choose from!  I picked my first autos because they flowered fast, said it was "short" in height, and were priced right at free! (Aren't friends great!?!?)  Short ended up being over 6 feet in a hydro setup!  Ooops!  

A good spot to help you choose strains is here : https://www.greenpas...train-database/  I'm sure similar posts are floating around these boards but there you can kind of guide your hunt through the many strains to help find something specific that will best fit your situation. 

Looking forward to that log!  

#67 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

Well heres the finished product. I know you're jealous of my ghetto light traps on my intake. Needs a few touches here and there, but it will work. If I put a piece of paper over an intake hole the suction holds it there so I got decent air moving. Temps stay nice and low. I think I'm good to go unless you guys think I should change something.
And now that I sit here and look at it, I wonder to myself why I didn't just put a nice finish on the wood so it would look more like a cabinet or something
Not sure why I painted it black lol

Attached Files

#68 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

You painted it black for light proofing. That's what it is. lol.

• KnuckleDragger and sawyer05 like this

#69 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Lol yeah, lets go with that Hysterical . Have you ever used a fan speed controller PBG? KnuckleDragger recommended one but I read it makes a loud humming noise, not sure if it's that loud or not. I just have the exit side of the fan where the air blows out flush with the back of my cabinet with no duct or anything. The air coming out makes a little more noise than I'd like, If the speed controller does hum too loud I was thinking of just putting like an oscillating fan on top of it and always leave it on high. I'm just worried if maintenace ever comes in my bedroom and hears that coming from a box they might be a little suspicious lol.

Edited by sawyer05, 22 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#70 esinohio

esinohio

Educated Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

Might be complete over kill but thought I'd throw this out there for your building enjoyment.  

http://www.coolerguy...abcool1201.html

That kit gives you options on your fan controllers for different price points.   If you don't want the kit you can purchase the controllers separate.  The fans themselves are your standard PC style fans and run nice and quiet.  

#71 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Thats pretty cool, I've never seen kits like that before. If I ever do a smaller stealth grow I will look into getting that kit. I already have an inline fan and filter set up in my box. I was just wondering if the speed controllers would make the noise worse like some people say or help it.

#72 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

I haven't used one, but my inline gets drown out by the box fan I always have running. My mother stood about 10 feet from the tent and never even knew it was there or the fan was on.

#73 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Yeah I think I will try that first before I buy a controller

#74 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Well guys its been two weeks since I placed my order with attitude so I'm waiting a little longer than I expected. It sat at o'hare for a while and for some reason moved up north into Michigan then back down towards the south so that threw me off a little bit, anyways checked it today and it was posted 2 hours away from me so hopefully I will be getting my package tomorrow. Excited :)

#75 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Two weeks ain't bad, you had the little customs run-around (Chicago) which can take time but nothing unusual. Your getting close to the fun part now though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apartment, grow, stealth, auto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users