86 replies to this topic

#1 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hello all, I'm new here and I just wanted to introduce myself a little bit. First off I am totally new to growing. I regularly smoke due to chronic pain and anxiety but it's hard for me to afford to buy it constantly so this is why I'm looking to grow my own for personal use, I'm not looking to sell or distribute. I have two herniated discs in my back and damage from a gunshot wound in my lower back. I do not take any prescription meds due to the fact that I was addicted to opiates years ago. I'm currently in college studying HVAC and basic electricity stuff like home wiring, principles etc. I live in a small apartment by myself in the outskirts of a college town. My questions I have right now are pretty simple. If you were in my situation, what would you use to grow in? Tent, stealth setup like Rubbermaid, cabinet, or anything else you'd prefer. Ideally I'm looking to grow 3 or 4 plants at a time. I was interested in autos due to their quick growth and short height, would this be ideal or would it be better just to grow a photoperiod plant? Which auto strain or photo strain would you recommend for a first time grower with limited space? Lastly how much do you reckon I will end up spending? I have a small budget, I'm not looking to spend over 200 dollars. Space is an issue so I cant have a huge tent or cabinet. My landlord generally leaves us alone but does do maintenance every once in a while, so this is why I prefer a stealth setup. I'd appreciate any input on this, like I said I'm completely new but I've been doing a fair amount of research. Just want to do the best thing possible for my situation.
  • teddys head, PoeticLife, sandbreak and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Well the first thing you need to figure out is much space you have to work with and go from there. You can build something like this http://www.weedguru....hp?f=88&t=27716 or some variation of the tub grow http://www.weedguru....hp?f=88&t=26819 Plan ahead and then do it right the first time.
  • teddys head, PoeticLife, sandbreak and 3 others like this

#3 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

The first box seems easy and It would be easy to modify to my specific dimensions. If I tweaked those dimension a little bit and made it slightly bigger how many plants could I fit into a box like that? I was interested in nirvanas short ryder strain.

Edited by sawyer05, 29 October 2013 - 08:36 PM.

• teddys head, PoeticLife and Blue61 like this

#4 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'm also new Sawyer, and I'm starting with autoflowers as well. I'd say stick to an established company with a good rep on auto-flowering strains if that's the way you want to go. I'm waiting on my Easy Ryders to get here, so I can tell you a little better. But fair warning, everything I've read about auto-flowers is that you need to be very gentle with nutrients on them; because they fry out real easily from too many nutrients.
  • teddys head, Blue61, painretreat and 1 other like this

#5 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

PBG is right about auto's and nutes.While autos are a little easier to grow they yield very low.You might want to do something like Nirvana's Northern Lights. It is a great first strain to grow.and Nirvana is very reputable. You can order thru Attitude seed bank and get a few freebies that way. Peace, Blue
  • teddys head, sandbreak, painretreat and 1 other like this

#6 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm wanting to grow most likely 2 plants maybe 3 at a time so now I'm just trying to figure out the dimensions of the box I'm going to build. I'll just put what I have in mind so far and let you see how it is. Grow box: 3 ft x 3 ft x 2 ft (Height/width/depth) Two 120mm intake fans and one 120mm exhaust fan. 4 cfls per plant, 6500k for veg the switch to 2700k for flower. I dont remember the exact watts but I think it was around 18-23w per bulb from lowes. Not sure on pot size or soil type. Odor control I will try to make some kind of carbon filter and stuff it into my exhaust tube. I'm sure I forgot something but how does that look for a basic grow box? Thanks blue, northern lights looks good to me, just what I'm looking for. Theres an afghan kush ryder from attitude that looked good too. Picking which strain I want is tough, I want them all :)

Edited by sawyer05, 31 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

• teddys head, Blue61 and painretreat like this

#7 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think that's the problem we all have when we look at seedbanks. And as far as yields on auto's go, they do have a less than stellar reputation on yeilds, but I've been reading a lot that the newest versions of auto-flowers are correcting that issue; and some people are getting some very nice yields out of some of the different strains. I've heard very good things about Sour 60 if you can actually get your hands on seeds of it.
  • teddys head, PoeticLife, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#8 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

I figure I can fit 2 plants in there so will 4 cfls for each plant be okay for lighting? Also what size pots do you recommend and what kind of soil?

Edited by sawyer05, 31 October 2013 - 07:31 PM.

• teddys head, PoeticLife, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#9 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Is there any way you can make your cab taller? With the pot and the plant 3 feet is not much.They will most likely grow into the lights and burn them. As for soil I like Fox Farm Ocean Forest.Don't use any miracle grow products.MJ does not like all the nutes they put in them. Read the bag of soil and look for one with out nutes in it.I would add at least 20% perlite to it. Peace, Blue 5
  • teddys head, PoeticLife, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#10 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Thanks Blue, do you think adding another foot to the height would be better? Or more?
  • teddys head, Blue61 and painretreat like this

#11 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21516 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Blue, do you think adding another foot to the height would be better? Or more?

Depending on what your growing more height is always better. Indica's tend to be short and not stretch too much in flowering. Sativa's do stretch a lot though. I consider 6 foot a good comprise with 4 foot a minimum though people do grow successfully in some pretty small area's, I go for all I can get.
  • teddys head, PoeticLife, sandbreak and 3 others like this

#12 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I was really interested in World of Seed's afghan kush ryder , as long as it doesn't stink up my room too bad.

Edited by sawyer05, 01 November 2013 - 10:30 PM.

• teddys head and Blue61 like this

#13 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

From what I've gathered, most autoflowers are somewhat lower on the odor front. As well as most auto's end up kind of short. But yeah, definitely more space is needed bro-bot. We're in the same boat, I'm just getting started too. And all these folks have been very patient and helpful. So yeah, as far as auto's go, few rules that I can see. A) Be very easy with the nutes... they fry real easy. B )They seem to work best under 18/6 lighting (I've read a bunch of grow journals with various times and numbers and 18/6 seems to get em popping) C) Carbon Filter everything. Low odor or not, if stealth is at all an issue... spend the money and get a carbon filter. DIY can be great, but better safe than sorry on that one. All you need is one little loose seal and someone snitchy to walk in the room to have it go to shit. So yeah, that's not an auto-flower rule, but it should be.lol.

Edited by PowerbombGuy, 01 November 2013 - 11:25 PM.

• teddys head, Blue61 and sawyer05 like this

#14 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Haha thanks PBG. I've been doing a lot of reading but its awesome to have guys that help out so much. I will have to make a nice carbon filter for sure, I'm pretty sure my landlord doesn't care if we smoke inside I just don't know about growing a couple plants lol so I'd like to keep it as stealthy as possible, might make it just look like a gun safe or something with a lock on it. I'm going to start getting stuff for the box here soon so I will post some pics of the build. I was planning on painting the inside white instead of lining it with mylar or foil. So far the plan is 4x3x2 or 4x2x2 (H/W/D), 4 lights per plant, 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan, and I was thinking 3 gallon pots?

Edited by sawyer05, 02 November 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#15 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Flat white paint actually reflects light better then mylar. 95% to 90%. Peace, Blue
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head, PoeticLife and 2 others like this

#16 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

Starting the build tonight.

#17 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:35 AM

Starting the build tonight.

:welldone: rasta.nana.gif drums.gif rasta.nana.gif

Health and happiness
  • PoeticLife, Blue61 and sawyer05 like this

#18 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

Lol this box is a lot bigger than I imagined it, its coming along nicely though. How do I add pictures?
  • Blue61 likes this

#19 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

sawyer, in my experience, autos can be pretty intense as far as smell - much depends on the strain, as with photoperiod plants, so be ready to do some filtering! :)

Edited by sandbreak, 05 November 2013 - 04:51 PM.

• Blue61 and sawyer05 like this

#20 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

tips on what to do for odor control on the exhaust fan? I want to it to be the least smelly it can haha. I don't have a lot of money to spend on filters, so something cheap DIY would be good :) I think I decided on Northern lights so according to most people its a low odor strain, but I still want to take all the right precautions.

Edited by sawyer05, 05 November 2013 - 05:10 PM.

• PoeticLife and Blue61 like this

#21 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Made a quick trip to the store and picked up a few things. Got 3 small carbon filters for 10 bucks, Two 23W 6500k cfls with 1450 Lumens each. I decided to just use 6 2700k and 2 6500k the whole time and not switch. 4 lights per plant should be okay based on what I've read. I'm waiting on my fan to get here, and I'll just have a passive intake. I'm about halfway done with the box, it's looking good but bigger than I was expecting. I've taken a few pics but cant figure out how to attach images on here shrugsmiley.gif

Edited by sawyer05, 05 November 2013 - 07:43 PM.

• Blue61 likes this

#22 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

Awesome shit, dude. We've all got preferences. I went overkill on my carbon filter for the exact reason of odor concerns.I gotta figure out how to mount it and the fan inside the tent.lol
  • sandbreak, Blue61 and sawyer05 like this

#23 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Made a quick trip to the store and picked up a few things. Got 3 small carbon filters for 10 bucks, Two 23W 6500k cfls with 1450 Lumens each. I decided to just use 6 2700k and 2 6500k the whole time and not switch. 4 lights per plant should be okay based on what I've read. I'm waiting on my fan to get here, and I'll just have a passive intake. I'm about halfway done with the box, it's looking good but bigger than I was expecting. I've taken a few pics but cant figure out how to attach images on here shrugsmiley.gif

To post pics click on the more options button at the bottom of the reply box.You should
be able to get it from there.
Peace,
Blue
  • PoeticLife and sawyer05 like this

#24 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

So regarding the air, would it be okay to have both intake and exhaust on the same side of the box? Or will this just pull the new air straight up to the exhaust? I'm just trying to decide where to put the holes for them and both on backside make it easier to hide.

Attached Files

• Attached File  box.png   151.39KB   6 downloads

#25 sawyer05

sawyer05

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

Well here it is so far, got the inside painted a nice flat white, waiting on my fan before I cut holes for intake exhaust, then just put the base and top on and attach the door. Outside will be painted flat black. its 2ft width by 2 ft depth by 4 feet height. Can I fit 3 plants in there or would two be better, I have 8cfls, 184W total, 12,500 total lumens. Six 2700k and two 6500k.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Apartment, grow, stealth, auto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users