• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

Not sure if this is the right forum, so admin should feel free to move this topic... As I messed up the NNO tek several times, only getting out a fraction of the oil I put in, I decided to make gumby hash to infuse the coconut oil instead. The result was the usual runny water like (in contact with skin/body heat) brown/greenish oil with specks of plantmatter when applied to the skin. As I'm going to try an cure a diabetic ulcure that has more or less hollowed out the toe, I figured I'd try and extract some oil from the hash instead, thinking this would make the medicine more sterile than other methods, with a solvent and need of heat on top of that... ? My phramacy have petrolium ether and aceton in stock and can order in isopropanol. As I'm always in a hurry, I wonder if I might as well use any of the first two? From what I understand ether is extremely flamable, but I only have a couple of grams of gumby so I'm guessing the small amounts of ether needed for this (one or two 25ml bottles?) wont make it too dangerous if done outside? Also, I understand that ether will make the most potent oil, but less yield of course. As my starting material is low potency "daytime smoke" from danish outdoor genetics grown at 60'N, my starting material would give pretty low potency oil anyhow? Should or could I use ether or aceton, if so, which one would be more favourable? Or... should I just try and filter the infused coconut oil? This raises some concerns about bacterial contaminants when used inside a hollow toe though.... or? On a sidenote.. yesterday I just applied some infused oil around the edged of the ulcer after plugging it with a sterile bandage before applying oil on the whole foot, wrapping it in plastic foil to keep it in place over night.... leaving the toes open to breathe of course... Would this do any good at all?
  • plant boy, teddys head, painretreat and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well i use grain alcohol to make my oil from. I applied some of the oil directly into a spider bite i had and it seemed to help it heal much faster. There is a small indent where the bite was but you can not see any difference in the skin.I have not tried the solvents you mentioned yet. When i made the coconut based med for my Dad i did not puree the plant material like the NN calls for and was able to strain with cheese cloth. Then put in fridge to cool. at that point there was a small amount of plant material to wash off the bottom of the solidified oil and the rest of the water and material was tossed.
  • plant boy, painretreat and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#3 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I make a topical balm using roots.. trim.. coconut oil and a couple of essential oils. I add cassia for a muscle rub (it's a little warm) and for a wound balm I add an essential oil just mainly for fragrance. Both of these I've used on dog bites.. one bad one that was on my face. It made the wound drain and I barely have a visible scar... not bad considering the gash was almost an inch long and was infected. I've also used it on some pretty bad burns ... applied immediately after the burn occured.. it didn't even blister and healed much much faster than when I've use anything else. There is always just a tiny bit of plant matter left when making the balm... as Paw said.. seems to be no biggy and easily removed. I'm not sure about the other solvents and how this would work.... but I do know how good the NN and root balm is. IMHO can't be beat! Hope this helps a bit... and sorry I have no experience with the other. Hugs!
  • painretreat and GeneralSmokeUppington like this

#4 MrPlow

MrPlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

Papaw49: I don't have access to stronger alcohol than 60%, but yester day I just used the 40% vodka I already have and ran it through a cheese grater before adding it to the alcohol. It doesn't look like it has dissolved very much, and the bottomn of the jar is still covered with hash dust. Shaking it every now and then and applying some heat now and then hoping it would dissolve easier... kittypup: wouldnt essential oils be a bit strong from "internal wounds" or open wounds ?

#5 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

It really depends on what essential oil you are using. The cassia is a bit hot in an open wound.. but when my face got bit that's all I had to use... a wee burn to start and then it just drained like mad and that's really what you want for any kind of cat or dog bite. And remember you can add as much or as little as you like. I make my muscle rub pretty strong.... but for the wound balm I use less.... and a combo of different ones like tea tree oil, green tea and lavender. Sometimes it stings just a little then the healing begins. Believe me I've been nothing but amazed by this! Hope this helps. Hugs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users