20 replies to this topic

#1 nioka

nioka

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

I am reading conflicting posts throughout the web on the effect of cannabis on heart rate, HR, and blood pressure, BP. Most say that cannabis, especially sativa, raises HR and BP. However, I have yet to read one post where someone is actually measuring their HR and BP after ingesting cannabis. Once again there is little research on the subject and most information is anecdotal. BP and HR are probably not important to healthy folks but to those with compromised health these are two very important measurements. If you care to and have a way, (home BP monitor), could you post your HR and BP before and after smoking, vaping, etc., and including your method of dosing. It would be helpful that if you see a noticeable change you post the strain if known. Thanks For myself, Tinctures - no measured effect on either BP or HR. Topical - no measured effect on either BP or HR
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head, PoeticLife and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Depends on the strain. Sativa's can be racy and increase your heart rate though not neccesarily your BP. Indica's tend to be a bit more laid back.
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head, PoeticLife and 4 others like this

#3 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1872 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

I know when I smoke a good haze strain, which is certainly sativa, my heart feels like it's racing. I've never measured it, so I don't know if it's just my impression, but I don't feel that way with most other smoke. could make for some interesting experiments. I do remember BigPapa used to mention blood pressure a lot in his posts, you may be able to find one of them searching on his name. J A
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head, PoeticLife and 3 others like this

#4 Papaw49

Papaw49

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5641 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

I have a home bp heart rate device i was using to try to figure out my fainting problem. I could do some testing later when the grow finishes. My problem turned out to be micturition syncope problem. I have through out my life had low blood pressure when ever it was tested which was often from my teen years onward. nothing i smoke has made it rise as far as i know. I will have to get some good sativa to see if the heart rate changes. :laughleaf:
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head, Blue61 and 3 others like this

#5 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Cannabis.. whether it be sativa.. indica or a highbred is a mild vasodilator.. meaning it expands/opens the blood vessels. In doing this it will lower your BP. I believe when you first smoke or vape you get the heart racing effect which constricts the vessels.. then slowly starts relaxing them. With medibles.. and here most especially depending on the strain.. you will get less of the heart racing (but it can still happen... been there done that) when you start feeling the effect. This is one reason our wonderful plant can help with migraines... high BP... and even diseases like occipital neuralgia where the constriction of the blood vessels causes massive headaches as well as other problems. As the vessels relax... blood flows more freely .. carries more oxygen throughout the body and relieves the pressure causing the pain. Hope this helps clear things up a bit. Hugs!
  • teddys head, Blue61, painretreat and 2 others like this

#6 nioka

nioka

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Kittypup I was interested in actual BP and HR readings. Is there a chart perhaps showing the numbers? I believe this info is important to anyone with compromised health especially related to heart or BP issues.
  • teddys head, painretreat, Widespread and 1 other like this

#7 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Nioka... I'll see if I can find something like that but it's kind of doubtful. With everyone's BP at normal levels running different let alone when you add some kind of health problems to it there's just so many variables. I personally have always had a low BP... if mine gets up to even 120/70 I'm headed for a migraine. What's high for me... would be what the docs would call normal or optimal for others. Most all of what I have read about MJ and the heart warns that if you have a heart condition most especially an uncontrolled one that smoking or vaping would not be the method of ingestion to use due to the spike in HR and BP at onset. This is where it really stops... so much research is needed to sort it all out and at least here in the U.S. I think that will be a long time coming! I'll keep looking for more info..... Hugs!

#8 nioka

nioka

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Kittypup,

As you describe is exactly why I am looking for, real data. There is much anecdotal information on the web some of it because of misunderstanding and others because of deliberate misrepresentations. The pharmaceutical companies do not want this fantastic medicinal plant as competition and most studies are funded by them. Therefore the resulting studies provided to the medical establishment is one that places cannabis in the shadows using fear to scare people away for trying it.

I have only myself to use as an example and the data from one individual has little meaning. My limited experience has proven to me without a doubt that cannabis works for pain relief. Briefly, I don't smoke or vap, I use only tincture and topical. I suffer from peripheral neuropathy of the feet. The only medication is Lyrica which we have all seen advertised on the nightly news. Lyrica has many serious side effects the worst being suicide. I have been using a topical for about a year now with almost total relief and not one side effect. The only issue is that the cannabis topical only lasts for about 4 hours and I do wake but I reapply and go back to sleep. It is so nice to be able to sleep without pain. Recently I had a severe sinus headache and my usual treatment was ibuprofen or acetaminophen. I thought why not try the topical. I rubbed the cannabis topical on my face over the sinus area and the pain was gone within minutes. Since then I use the cannabis topical for all headaches and have not taken on ibuprofen or acetaminophen since. A friend of mine was taking these two OTC's and a prescribed med for arthritis pain and he was just told he now have severe kidney damage.

I now believe that the uses of cannabis for a wide variety of maladies is possible but we must sort through the garbage to find the truth.

I would like to know what percentage of a rise and decline in BP and HR can one expect with different dosing methods. One application could be to show the benefit of vaping vs other smoking methods if there is any to begin with.

As you say, research will be a long time coming and that seems to leave it to the medical users community.

BTW, I just noticed that I put some cannabis topical on a cut yesterday and today it is almost healed.
  • teddys head, Widespread and Ellis9 like this

#9 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

Oh yeah.. it is really amazing what our wonderful plant can do! As far as the BP and actual #'s go... I don't think that will be found anywhere... I'm sure coming up empty LOL! There are just soo many variables even true research would be a bit difficult I think because everyone is so different. I also believe most folks don't really think about the affect on BP unless of course they have some kind of heart condition that could be a risk factor. What I do know for sure is that there is a HUGE difference between smoking or vaping.. vs ingesting and the immediate affect vs gradual onset. IMHO if someone has issues with high BP or a heart condition where the initial affect could be harmful.. medibles would be the best choice. Sure wish there was more info on this other than just speculation and opinion.. but I guess it is what it is ya know.

#10 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Jack Herer lowers my blood pressure...WHAT A BIG SURPRISE!!! I've had a bunch of it sitting around for months and decided to 'try it' a few days ago. I forgot about it, until I found this thread! I have M.S. and this new (almost a year now) neurological blood pressure goes unusually high and pretty much stays there..about 160/100 plus or minuse 20, sometimes higher. Other times, I have syncopy of 68/30's or much less(without using mmj) . This Jack herer has my b/p down to low 100's/ 58to 68.. Couldn't be happier with it. Normally, I avoid sativa's, but lately..reading of strains etc and CBD's, seems more sativas have the CBD's---from spying the lab test results on weedmaps. Oh the low 100's/58 is my norml, or use to be. Certainly going to put this jack in me oil!! bigsmileythumbsup pr sheesh, even the smilies aren't displayed the same with Win 8, ick!

#11 nioka

nioka

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

painretreat, Thanks for the post. If I understand you correctly your HBP was running about 160/100 and after medicating with JH your BP dropped to 100/58. A bonus is your syncopy is lessen while medicating with JH. That is nothing less than fantastic. Did you notice any rise in your BP or heart rate as you were medicating? (It would be helpful if anyone who has a home blood pressure monitor would check their BP & HR prior to medicating, immediately after medicating, and after the medication has taken effect. Thanks).

#12 Ellis9

Ellis9

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon Coast

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

This is what you're asking for I think. I hope this info helps. 10/23/2013 Soon after getting up @ 9:43am BP-133/81 P-66 Immediately after vaping a lg bag from Volcano @ 9:52am BP-143/77 P-71 Taken again @ 10:07am BP-103/69 P-79 Strain - Blue Dream Patient is in wheelchair and has MS with seizure disorder, systemic pain and also clinically diagnosed with Lyme Disease. Patient's pain level was low at the time or initial BP would have been higher. Ellis
  • teddys head, painretreat and Widespread like this

#13 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

nioka; Same thing here with M.S. & Fibromyalgia/CFS: upon arising my b/p is 148/98 P 88 medicated coffee and then it is 133/78 P 78 coffee has caffiene; smhug.gif pr

#14 Ellis9

Ellis9

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon Coast

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'd like to mention, since this is a thead discussing BP that Hawthorne Berry is very powerful in treating high blood pressure. It's had much research and double blind studies. It's adaptagenic and helps regulate low BP as well. One can add HB either powder, caps or tincture and eventually go off poison BP meds. Tons of info available. My wife and i buy pwd and make caps and tincture. E
  • teddys head, joeya, painretreat and 1 other like this

#15 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Talking from experience, Sativa dominant strains should have a health warning caution " If you have heart related risk ask care provider before taking, will stop/disrupted heart Fibulator. My brother's heart fibulator stopped right after vaporizing with "Skywalker" sativa dominant. Please heed if you have Heart Condition! GW

#16 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

GreenWeaver, I am not sure what you mean? did his heart stop fribrilating are start? Sorry, I am a little confused? Sativa doesn't affect my hi blood pressure, seems neither does 8 b/p meds either! Still working my way thru it all. flyingsmiley.gif pr
  • Widespread likes this

#17 Larry902

Larry902

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I've been taking rso the past few monthes and my blood pressure is normal after all these years. My doctor actually suggested I stop taking the bp meds because I was boardering on the low side. My heart which was my biggest concern is regular now. I don't know what a fribrilator is but sound's like a serious piece of equipment.

Edited by Larry902, 06 November 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#18 GreenWeaver

GreenWeaver

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sorry for confusing all, here it is: http://en.wikipedia..../Defibrillation
Three seconds after vaporizing with Skywalker can't forget the strain, he lost consciousness....thank goodness I'm next to him and was able to catch his fall.
After seven seconds he is conscious again.......like a pinball machine tilting and coming on again.

Edited by GreenWeaver, 06 November 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#19 nioka

nioka

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

I had one incident after using a strong tincture where I had an increase in BP and HR. I got a 160/105 @ 106. This was the only incident I had and therefore I am not concerned about it. Please note as this was not a controlled setting and that rise in BP/HR may have been due to something other than the tincture. Many things can effect BP including state of mind, foods, beverages, etc. GreenWeaver, Thanks for the clarificaiton.
  • painretreat and Widespread like this

#20 jnandai

jnandai

Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

my husband ellis posted already, about my readings. but i wanted to comment on how much pain affects my bp. its a no brainer that pain is hard on the body. yesterday i overdid, a my bp was 170/98. it took hours of vaping and eating canna coconut oil, and tincture...to feel better. but i slept great for me. this morning i haven't vaped yet, but my bp is 97/63. and i feel great with lower numbers. my blood pressure swings alot between pain and chronic infection, and some autonomic nervous system dysfunction periodically. it can get pretty high, but it comes down, as well as my pulse.
  • painretreat likes this

#21 Widespread

Widespread

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationOld Kentuckee

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

Here's an ABC news article on marijuana and heart attacks. Yes, it's mainstream media, and is aimed at discouraging the use of cannabis, but that does not preclude factuality. http://abcnews.go.co...www.google.com/ Anecdotes and musings: Because marijuana has psychedelic qualities, a lot depends on the individual's internal mindset, and the external setting (often called set and setting). For me, both are extremely important. On the internal side, although marijuana can be very calming, euphoric and peaceful, if I am conflicted or feeling guilt about something, it can actually heighten my anxiety. I have felt my pulse in these situations, and although I didn't measure the rate, it was clearly faster than normal. The external side is pretty obvious: no one wants to hang out with uptight assholes or Debbie Downers while medicated, and doing so can cause anxiety, which increases BP. Most experienced stoners have adapted to cope with both of the above situations, mostly by not over-reacting. :)/> Aside from set- and setting-related influences on blood pressure, I am aware of elevated heart rate often in the first 20 to 30 minutes after vaporizing or smoking. This jibes with the above article. Your mileage may vary. Subjectively, the effect seems stronger from vaporizing, and I speculate that this may be due to different substances being ingested as compared to complete combustion. (The volcano seems to hit the head more, while smoking adds the body note. ) One aspect that I feel deserves more attention is blood vessel flexibility. As we age, our blood vessels may get stiff, especially if constricted by smoking or clogged by plaque. Anything that increases heart rate and blood pressure, whether it's sex, marijuana, or a fit of anger at a football game, will stress the heart if our blood vessels don't expand in response to this pressure. Nuts, such as cashews peanuts and almonds, help increase the flexibility of the blood vessel walls. So when your heart rate increases, the blood vessels expand like a balloon, avoiding a pressure spike. Although this is certainly no replacement for any prescription medication you may beyond, I recommend that everybody eat more nuts. As a bonus, increasing research shows that, far from causing weight increase, eating nuts helps maintain weight. Finally, on a broader, more philosophical note: those of us who believe in cannabis as medicine must also face the reality that it is strong medicine, and strong medicine is not always good for everybody in all situations. With the increasing expansion of medical marijuana, not to mention outright legalization in two states, I hope we can get better data on a wide variety of aspects which may have been obfuscated by poor data resulting from idiotic prohibition. Cheers, WS
  • painretreat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users