168 replies to this topic

#1 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Pictures will be here soon. Anyways: The setup. Rocking a Hydrofarm 2 Foot 8 Tube T-5 lighting set up, a 4 inch inline fan, a large carbon filter, and a small clip fan. The baby has sprouted, it's starting to grow, the water is very close to PH balanced (go figure, my tap water came out almost perfect.) The real question I have is for the community: As a first timer with a decent grasp of hydroponics... Do I go soil or do I go DWC (The litter bucket)
  • plant boy, teddys head and PoeticLife like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

You have soil, soilless and hydro so you have a choice. Hempy Bucket http://forum.growkin...ead.php?t=29638 is my prefered method. Any way you go if your a beginner it'll take you about 3 grow's to get good doing it. We've got several growing styles here, so what interests you?

#3 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

life is an experiment ,,,try what you will then try something else,,,,good luck
  • teddys head and PoeticLife like this

#4 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I'm debating about doing all three actually to see the difference in how they grow now. Since I've only got the lone baby, I'm praying it's a girl I can mother out for a while while I get two or three more clones up to adequate size. And then do some testing. And I sure hope some of the regular gardening/house plants I've dealt with give me a little hope for not being abysmally awful at this. It would suck to be awful at doing god's work and helping people sick and in pain.

#5 Mmadad420

Mmadad420

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Wooo I'm excited for you I just completed m first grow, I used the bubbleponics method but I am trying my luck with a water table this time and my moms are in soil, you'll catch on really fast and find lots of help around here. Good luck....can't wait for pics !!!

#6 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

so what strain of baby is in the starting blocks?
  • PoeticLife likes this

#7 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

And I'm a dick. I checked on it before I left for work this morning and it was fine. I come home and it's all flopped over and curly. And I've got no clue WTF I did wrong! I think I may have committed infanticide by accident some how. At least I found another seed of this lovely orangey, sweet white sativa kinda deal.
  • plant boy and PoeticLife like this

#8 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Does anyone have any ideas what I did wrong? Not enough ventilation (I haven't set up the fan system yet cuz it's a baby, I thought it'd be okay for a couple of days.)? Was it too hot cuz I have the large bank of lights in a 3x3 tent? Did I possibly fuck up the water in the tray/dome? I feel like an asshole. I killed it. I want to cry. :(
  • plant boy and PoeticLife like this

#9 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

they can use the wind as soon as they break ground ,,,,,just not to wet as the roots that support the plant need to grow and find water
  • PoeticLife likes this

#10 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

its a weed... don't be beating yourself up over it.... if I did that for everytime I oops'd i"d be bruised for sure!! just pick yourself back up and start again, every oops is a learning experience. glad you have another seed to get started again.

keep it growin'
guitar.gif
  • plant boy likes this

#11 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:49 AM

Well, I'm relaunching this endeavor. I have 3 Easy Ryders in the root riot cubes, and then they'll be transplanted to some organic soil cut with some co-co. Any suggestions on the cut. Worried the soil might be a little too hot for them. Pictures of the start to come tomorrow cuz I have a nifty new phone.
  • plant boy likes this

#12 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

45/45 with 10% perilite
  • Bong likes this

#13 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Guess I'll have to get a bag of perlite in the next day or two, huh? What's the purpose of the extra perlite in there, PB?
  • Bueller and plant boy like this

#14 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well, the babies are a couple hours off from going to bed for the second time on an 18/6 schedule. All three have sprouted, they're all standing tall and one looks just slightly larger than the other two in the serated leaves department. They're bigger in a day or two than my first infant killing was in a week. So, hopefully this is going to go well. And... I've checked them about twenty times so I'm on my way to a million times. lol.

#15 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

So stupid question, I know it's probably not yet, but I started the little girls in root riot cubes (already had them sitting around) and I was just wondering, when do I switch the cube out of it's little plast propogation tray and into the soil so they can grow big and strong?

#16 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:43 PM

Well, we're at day 6 here in auto-land. They've all sprouted just above their cotyledons, but unfortunately the one that seemed the most robust, decided it was time to fall over. I suspect because it couldn't support it's own weight; because everything else on it looks very healthy and bright green. So I put a lollipop stick (it's clean, never had lollipop stuff on it to begin with) next to it and very gently tied it to it to help prop it upright until it's a bit stronger to handle it's own weight. Pictures very soon. I need to figure out how to get them off my phone and onto here.
  • plant boy likes this

#17 Bueller

Bueller

Throttle Jockey

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26124 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Guess I'll have to get a bag of perlite in the next day or two, huh?

What's the purpose of the extra perlite in there, PB?

Perlite in a mix serves two purposes, perlite retains moisture in the medium and keeps it spread thru it. It also lightens the mix allowing easier root growth.

So stupid question, I know it's probably not yet, but I started the little girls in root riot cubes (already had them sitting around) and I was just wondering, when do I switch the cube out of it's little plast propogation tray and into the soil so they can grow big and strong?

Switch them out when you have roots showing on the outside of the cubes,, you see the white strings of the root tip, stick em in a pot then!
  • plant boy likes this

#18 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

Yeah, they're just starting to show the white root tips on the outside of the cub. And I mean just starting. So tomorrow I start the soil mix in the buckets and do a little transplanting. I am so excited. I know auto's don't like transplanting, but they'll make it through.
  • plant boy likes this

#19 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

Girls are going to get their new and final pair of shoes (the 35 pound tidy cat buckets). They are going to be hitting the dirt in a couple of hours, and then I pray that they make it through their transplant. They're going into Roots Organic 707 Mix cut 45% Coco and 10% Perlite (Thanks for the tip Plant Boy) Soil is soft and airy, can't wait to get these babies into their dirt. Just waiting for lights on to do that.
  • plant boy likes this

#20 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

Pictures of the babies last night, before they went to bed. They'll be transplated shortly and pictures will follow.

Attached Files

• plant boy likes this

#21 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

They've all been transplanted into some fresh soil and they're all snug. I'm a little bit worried about number three, because a tiny amount of the roots stuck to the bottom of the prop tray and came off, but it seemed healthy enough. It also had the most roots of the bunch, it got floppy under it's own weight so.. who knows? If anyone sees anything I could be doing better, smack me upside the head with it.

Attached Files

• plant boy likes this

#22 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

We are at day 10 since these babies sprouted and what I'm seeing, I assume is fairly quick growth for day 10 of a plant's life.

They got a fresh batch of filtered tap water last night. Today was also this first day I put them at 20/4 because that's the breeders recommendation and I had it at 18/6. Stands to reason I probably should have had it at 20/4 the whole time, but live and learn.  They seemed to respond vigourously. A lot of this wasn't like this even last night when I went to bed.

I couldn't concieve how they were supposed to finish in 75 days 5 days ago... now I kinda see it.

Attached Files

• plant boy likes this

#23 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18514 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

get some wind on them to keep the stem strong . that is why the one flopped over.

#24 PowerbombGuy

PowerbombGuy

Grower

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

Oh noes! Mishap in the garden! Urgent advice needed!

My exhaust fan decided to break loose from the zip ties I used to mount it to the top of the tent. And it knocked down the bank of lights (nothing broke) but the ballast definitely squashed one of the little ones.

I picked it back up, packed some extra soil around it. It seems to be standing back up fine and nothing got torn, snapped, burnt, or anything other than just squashed down.

I'm hoping it's a resiliant little bitch and is just sitting there thinking "god, some rude ass deer just stepped on me." and hoping it will get back to normal. If not... :( .... I'll let the two live on and pray they yield well before I start 3 more.

#25 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21658 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

Support it the best you can, plants take a fair amount of abuse in the wild so it'll likely heal up OK.

• plant boy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users