• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

In a week from now I will be preparing my first batch of RSO.
As I am living in a country where RSO is considered a hard drug there are no lab facilities to analyze the potency of the oil.
Nevertheless I would like to know what is in, both qualitative and quantitative.
On the web I found some DIY testkits, such as this one
Has anyone experience with this type of analysis? Is it reliable, accurate? Are the results repeatable?
  • teddys head, Blue61 and DEBhasgrn like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 teddys head

teddys head

International turf cutter ,Deanta in Eirinn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11501 posts
  • Locationsan Eireann

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

hi ya herman :) i to am in such a country Posted Image Posted Image

unfortunately i've not had an experience in this shrugsmiley.gif

but if you contact our graywolf he may know

you can get him here at GP ,or try him at his own place here

hope this helps :)

Health and happiness
  • PoeticLife, Blue61, DEBhasgrn and 1 other like this

#3 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Graywolf did not check in yet (I used the board messenger) so I did some research myself. Found a lot of information on the web, in forums and in scientific publications. I do know now what I can expect and what not ;)
  • teddys head, PoeticLife and painretreat like this

#4 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

herman, we have SC Labs here, so Idk what that is. What does stand out, to my inquizative mind is: Does it measure THC? since the object is to make a 1:1 ratio of thc to CBD mixture. Given the legalities in your area, using that kit seems like it will give you the Cannabinoids, which is pretty important and the thc, well--I'd expect it would certainly be present, unless you use hemp weed for it. If you have a 'friend' where it is legal, maybe you might be able to get a friend to test it for you, IF you cannot find a reliable answer? I've looked at home test kits on line, as well. Yet, I have not read of anyone posting their satisfaction or dis with it. GAAAAsmiley.gif pr
  • teddys head likes this

#5 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

What does stand out, to my inquizative mind is: Does it measure THC?

To my understanding this method was designed to measure THC, both qualitative and quantitative.
This report gives the full details.

Apart from measuring THC the test also tests for other cannabinoids. I have some reservations about the quantitative results for anything other than THC.

But it is the way to go in this area, there are labs but they are used for scientific research, not for ordinary mortal beings.

I have done some rough-order-of-magnitude estimates on the error factors in a home test situation (as opposed to a laboratory environment where the referenced report was born). I would be more than happy if I could determine THC and CBD to one significant digit, e.g. 40% THC and 10% CBD. I think a result of 47.23% is just nonsensical, one can never obtain such accuracy in an uncontrolled environment without calibrated tools and proper standards. There are just way to many variables..

since the object is to make a 1:1 ratio of thc to CBD mixture.
[....]
unless you use hemp weed for it.

My goal would be to make a 3:1 ratio of THC to CBD mixture ;)
Hemp weed is actually what I have been collecting last weeks, the leftovers from industrial hemp fields which just have been harvested over here.
I did that because industrial hemp contains mainly some CBD, everything else has been bred out.

My friend (who has been diagnosed with a melanoma) has access to some oil which most likely was made from a Santa Maria x White Haze cross. Without testing I can not be sure, but my gut feeling says it will contain mainly THC and close to zero CBD.

We all hope it will never be necessary for her to ingest the oil, but if it should be necessary I want to know what she ingests and I want to be able to increase the CBD contents of that oil to make it as effective as possible.

In the meantime we are growing some plants with a more favorable THC to CBD ratio, again hoping we will never need them ;)
  • teddys head and painretreat like this

#6 Graywolf

Graywolf

Medicine man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

Solly been out of town for a few days. Also sorry to say that I have no experience with that kit, but chromatography should work. We've used it to separate the cannabinoids from the non cannabinoids, but haven't separated the different cannabinoids from one another using it. GW
  • teddys head, PoeticLife and painretreat like this

#7 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thank you for responding GW! No problem, I think I have figured it out. When I have experiences to share I will do it here. I noticed you invited Justin Fischedick for some interesting talk. Wish I could attend that, I am sure he has some interesting views on this matter. But as I am living on the other side of the big pond.......
  • PoeticLife and painretreat like this

#8 herman

herman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

As promised, time for some experience to share.

I purchased the Alpha-Cat testkit, received it last week.

Yesterday and today I did some tests.

There is some room for errors but once you get the routine it works pretty good actually.

Quantitative tests are possible, but you inevitable make errors which are reflected in the result.

For example, getting exactly 50 mg of RSO in an Eppendorf tube is not exactly easy, When you measure 51 mg you may be satisfied (I certainly am), but that introduces an error of 2% to begin with.

There are more areas where inaccuracies result in an error, so in the end I am happy when I have the first digit of a two-digit number correct. A result of 47.3% THC is nonsensical for this type of test, but when I know it is somewhere between 40% and 50% I am satisfied.

I tested three samples of RSO.
The first one was obtained from a batch prepared by an experienced grower and RSO maker.
The second sample was taken from a batch I prepared myself from plants I grew myself.
The third sample was taken from a batch I prepared from industrial hemp leftovers I found on the fields last month after harvest.

The first two batches RSO tested THC way over 40%, CBD approximately 2%..
In order to determine the THC amount more exactly I would have to run another test with a smaller sample. Perhaps one day.....

The industrial hemp RSO sample was a surprise: CBD about 40%, THC approximately 20%.
Which is good actually, I prepared that batch hoping for high CBD numbers, so that I can use it to add some CBD to the other batches should it be necessary.
  • PoeticLife and painretreat like this

#9 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

very nice herman! keep us posted :)

up da oil'ers!
  • painretreat likes this

#10 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

As promised, time for some experience to share.

The third sample was taken from a batch I prepared from industrial hemp leftovers I found on the fields last month after harvest.

The first two batches RSO tested THC way over 40%, CBD approximately 2%..
In order to determine the THC amount more exactly I would have to run another test with a smaller sample. Perhaps one day.....

The industrial hemp RSO sample was a surprise: CBD about 40%, THC approximately 20%.
Which is good actually, I prepared that batch hoping for high CBD numbers, so that I can use it to add some CBD to the other batches should it be necessary.

Herman, Thank YOU!!! Where is the industrial hemp field, can't believe your good luck!!! smhug.gif Thank YOU, looks like I need to grow hemp! Can't believe your fortune and THANKS for SHARING! Can't tell you how happy this makes me!!! Any pictures of the Industrial Hemp? curious, as always. pr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users