• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kushtastik

Kushtastik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

What's up growers, im building a side by side grow box and trying to figure out if I need to build a electrical box or just use a power strip? The box is going to be 6'h x 6'L x 3'w. here is a list of what I'll be plugging up in the box. 400w (maybe 600w) hps for flower 3 single t5 fixtures for side lighting also for flower 4 bulb t5 light setup for veg Probably a can fan for hps cooling Two small desk fans Ballest 6 maybe 8 PC fans I think that's about it lol
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, teddys head and 1 other like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

If you've got average household wiring you need to split your power use betwwen two circuit breakers. You'll be pulling enough power to trip the average breaker.
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy and teddys head like this

#3 Kushtastik

Kushtastik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

If you could, can you explain or tell me how?
  • plant boy, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#4 Mmadad420

Mmadad420

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

You would need to splice off the main breaker and install a GFI breaker to its own panel you could put 120 volt or id recommend 220v. Never done this for a grow but that is how I did it to run my pool pump.

#5 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6448 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hey What you ask is what is two circuits . Look in the breaker box you should see a list of what they are each circuit hot water living rm eet. Each breaker is a circuit. Most all homes have a breaker box. The room you are in where is it?? Look and see if it's one or two circiuts. PM and we go get you fixed up Peace

#6 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

Medicine Maker/Healer/Derelect

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Most homes/apts are/were wired with 12 AWG wire and usually breaker size is 20 amps. If your breaker size is 20 amps, and you use a 400 watt HPS you can get away with a plug strip as long as it is rated for 20 amps. Look on the breaker switch the amperage is right on the end of the switch. Using 220V for the lights and fans would cut your electricity bill almost in half. If you don't have the experience you shouldn't attempt the hook up.
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, teddys head and 1 other like this

#7 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18399 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

can use a trouble light to find what breakers are for what circuit, don't plug to many things into each ciruit as it will trip
  • Tokecrazy, teddys head and Blue61 like this

#8 Kushtastik

Kushtastik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

So basically I can run a new breaker with a dryer plug and run everything on one breaker
  • plant boy likes this

#9 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

So basically I can run a new breaker with a dryer plug and run everything on one breaker

Here's a plan, run a new circuit with a 220V 20 amp breaker. You need to run 12AWG wire for 20 amps. This will handle your lights, HPS and T5 , make sure all of your T5's are multi voltage 110V - 277V is usually what it says on the data plate. The single tube fixtures are probably 110V only so a plug strip to handle those and the PC fans. If you haven't purchased a can fan, you could buy a 220V unit.

Please be cautious and work safely. Electricity kills
  • plant boy likes this

#10 Mmadad420

Mmadad420

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

SR has a good plan and definetly be very cautious not worth getting killed over. If you do decide to go with 220v breaker you will need something sturdy to mount it on 3/4inch plywood should work. If the electrical stuff isn't up your ally there are other kinds of lighting to look into as well.. CFLs seem to be pretty popular and leds are showing some promise too.
  • plant boy likes this

#11 Kushtastik

Kushtastik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thanks all y'all, I really appreciate the feedback. I know enough about electricity to get by. Lol. I was thinking about buying one of the boxes off of dxhydro.com they have a basic controller for $144.20. It plugs into a 30 amp four prong dryer plug and can handle 7200 watts of power. It has four 120v and four 240v outlets standard and digital timer. It seems to be a pretty solid box.
  • plant boy likes this

#12 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanks all y'all, I really appreciate the feedback. I know enough about electricity to get by. Lol. I was thinking about buying one of the boxes off of dxhydro.com they have a basic controller for $144.20. It plugs into a 30 amp four prong dryer plug and can handle 7200 watts of power. It has four 120v and four 240v outlets standard and digital timer. It seems to be a pretty solid box.

Something like that would likely work fine since it's already designed and pre-wired.
  • plant boy likes this

#13 Stoned Ranger

Stoned Ranger

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

agreed
  • plant boy likes this

#14 plant boy

plant boy