9 replies to this topic

#1 CannaMom22

CannaMom22

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

I had a home a.c. unit installed in my barn (grow room.) But the lights get so hot the room barely stays cool enough. We have the fans, exhaust fans and the whole set up, but we live in the desert, so when it is hot, it is HOT, (120 degrees at times). I want to look into a lighting system that will put off less heat and that will keep the room cooler and also stop my breakers from tripping when i have everything plugged in. Anyone here have LED exp? Is it cooler?
  • KnuckleDragger, Blue61 and TheRubberDuck72 like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21482 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

How big of a light were you using?
  • Blue61 likes this

#3 mal420xl

mal420xl

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

i use leds, they put out some heat but the highest i have seen it raise the temps is maybe high 80's
  • Blue61 likes this

#4 Mmadad420

Mmadad420

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

I am currently in my first grow. I did some reasearch and choose led combined with cfls, I choose the cfl because they don't get as hot as hps or halide bulbs and I'm using led to get better light spectrum.
  • Blue61 and mal420xl like this

#5 CannaMom22

CannaMom22

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

I am using a 1000 watt full spectrum bulb... at least i think that is what they set me up with
  • Blue61 likes this

#6 Mmadad420

Mmadad420

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

That bulb will work great one of my friends has one but it gets really hot, my friend has a cool tube around the light with a fan and he vents the heat out of the room.
  • Blue61 likes this

#7 mal420xl

mal420xl

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

hid bulbs just put out a lot of heat, thats just the way it is. the right type led lights will match the output without the heat but the cost difference is what slows most people down. i almost blew off leds but i figure over time its saving me money so its worth the money now.......what will chap my ass will be when the cost drop like they always do. hopefully it will take a little while and wont irritate me as much :)
  • Blue61 likes this

#8 Blue61

Blue61

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4556 posts
  • LocationHighville USA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Stay away from the led's made in China. Peace, Blue

#9 1mojavegreen

1mojavegreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

cannamom22,

nice to meet you. i am also in the desert and have found that swamp cooling my "barn" works well and is ALOT cheaper than a/c. i gutted an old swamp cooler so it's just the shell, water pump and pads. it serves as the passive intake to my grow room.

:banana:

1mg

Edited by 1mojavegreen, 03 February 2014 - 11:53 AM.

• Bueller and KnuckleDragger like this

#10 TheRubberDuck72

TheRubberDuck72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMidlands ~ UK

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

"CannaMom22" ~ I had a home a.c. unit installed in my barn (grow room.) But the lights get so hot the room barely stays cool enough. We have the fans, exhaust fans and the whole set up, but we live in the desert, so when it is hot, it is HOT, (120 degrees at times). I want to look into a lighting system that will put off less heat and that will keep the room cooler and also stop my breakers from tripping when i have everything plugged in. Anyone here have LED exp? Is it cooler?

Hiya CannaMom22, 1000w give off a lot of heat IMO, # I'm running a 600w in a GR that's 8' x 7' x 9 ' and even though its cold in the UK(well the last week its been warm/nice) but that's Freak weather for us..LOL! Anyway(Waffling) My room Temps are always in the 24-25 range since using this Bulb..

One thing I did do was set my lights on 18/6 and so that the lights are on when the Temp outside starts to drop...easier with 12/12 because I just had them come on at 9 at night and go off at 9am...

Don't know where you at but sounds nice(in some ways..HOT!!) maybe put your light on at say 6pm until 12pm this would give you 18 hrs at maybe the Coolest times for you(Depends on when its gets hot n cools where you at) Also what about using a Cool-Tube and venting straight outta the GR...taking the Heat from the Bulb out of the equation..

What Size GR you working with and how many Ladies...If you don't mind me asking, Space and amount of Plants can change GR Temps & Humidity a lot...

Peace

EDIT: Hope you sort? I've just started looking into LED and by all accounts seems to be the future for many Growers.

• PoeticLife likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users