Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

Who Are They Trying To Kid,,Longtime Marijuana Use Linked With Decreased Motivation, Study Finds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DEBhasgrn

DEBhasgrn

Still Searching

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9058 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

http://www.huffingto...nk3&pLid=339198

The stereotype of pot smokers as lackadaisical loafers is supported by new research: People who smoke marijuana regularly over long periods of time tend to produce less of a chemical in the brain that is linked to motivation, a new study finds.

Researchers in the United Kingdom scanned the brains of 19 regular marijuana users, and 19 nonusers of the same sex and age, using positron emission tomography (PET), which helps measure the distribution of chemicals throughout the brain.

They found that the long-term cannabis users tended to produce less dopamine, a "feel good" chemical in the brain that plays an important role in motivation and reward-driven behavior. [Trippy Tales: The History of 8 Hallucinogens]

Study participants who smoked marijuana regularly, and those who began using the drug at a younger age, had lower levels of dopamine in a part of the brain called the striatum, which could be why cannabis users appear to lack motivation.

However, "whether such a syndrome exists is controversial," said study lead author Michael Bloomfield, a researcher at the Institute of Clinical Sciences at Imperial College London.

The people in the study used cannabis quite heavily, they all began using the drug between ages 12 and 18, and they all had experienced symptoms of psychosis while under the influence, the researchers said. Some of these symptoms include experiencing strange sensations while on the drug, or having bizarre thoughts, such as thinking they were being threatened by an unknown force.

Because increased dopamine production has been linked with psychosis, the researchers expected to find higher levels of dopamine in the cannabis users, but instead, their findings suggested the opposite.

Previous studies looking at marijuana's effects on the brain have shown that chronic marijuana use may trigger inflammation in the brain, which could affect coordination and learning, and that cannabis users have a higher risk of schizophrenia.

But the new results suggest more research is needed to understand the potential links between chronic marijuana use and mental illnesses.

"It has been assumed that cannabis increases the risk of schizophrenia by inducing the same effects on the dopamine system that we see in schizophrenia, but this hasn't been studied in active cannabis users until now," Bloomfield said in a statement. The results tie in with previous addiction research showing that substance abusers have altered dopamine systems.

The findings could explain behaviors commonly seen in marijuana users, not only those who may suffer psychosis symptoms or dependence, although further study is needed to better understand the link, the researchers said.

They also said the brain changes are likely reversible — previous studies did not find differences in dopamine production between former marijuana users and people who were never regular users of marijuana.

The detailed results of the study were published online June 29 in the journal Biological Psychiatry.

I like what this guy had to say in his comment,,,

"I STARTED SMOKING POT IN VIETNAM, CONTINUED WHEN I CAME HOME TO GEORGIA, ALWAYS IN FEAR, OF REDNECK MENTALITY. MOVED TO SEATTLE SAME THING TILL LAST YEAR WHEN THEY PASSED THE LAW HERE TO LEGALIZE IT. I HAVE CERTAINLY SLACKED OFF IN MY OLDER AGE, BUT GIVE IT UP- NEVER. I LIVE IN A STATE THAT ACTUALLY HAS MORE GROWN UPS THAN MOST OF THE OTHER STATES. I REMEMBER THAT WE WERE TOLD IT WAS THE FORERUNNER FOR MANY BAD AND UNHEALTHY THINGS, SO AFTER OVER 55 YEARS, I RUN A MULTIMILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS, I SEEM TO BE DOING AS GOOD AS ANYONE MY AGE. OF COURSE MY CAR KEYS SEEM TO BE ELUSIVE, LIKE THE TV CHANGER BUT FOR THE MOST PART, I AM DOING QUITE WELL".
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 5 others like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 BudGreen

BudGreen

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1182 posts
  • LocationHigh. In the foothills.

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

My first thought was these researchers need to light up and find out for themselves. They'll keep trying though. Me thinks when cannabis research expands and the truth is confirmed, the benefits will "dwarf" any of the findings they can conjure.
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, PoeticLife and 2 others like this

#3 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21485 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

The agenda must be pushed...
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, PoeticLife and 3 others like this

#4 bish

bish

bish just bish

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:35 AM

So this "They found that the long-term cannabis users tended to produce less dopamine, a "feel good" chemical in the brain that plays an important role in motivation and reward-driven behavior, " sounds like it could be good for drug addiction. Maybe folks smoking cannabis would drink or gamble less. OOPS backfired!
  • Tokecrazy, plant boy, sandbreak and 2 others like this

#5 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18399 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

follow the $ ,,,,,who sposered this research
  • Tokecrazy, sandbreak, DEBhasgrn and 1 other like this

#6 joeya

joeya

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1833 posts
  • LocationColorado!

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think the most extreme case of decreased motivation can be seen in the fact checkers responsible for vetting this research.
  • Tokecrazy, sandbreak, DEBhasgrn and 1 other like this

#7 bish

bish

bish just bish

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

So what are we allegedly supposed to lose motivation over? Over consumption of other products? Going to a variety of entertainment profiteers have chosen for us? Frankly, the life others have chosen for us may be rejected by we who partake .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U
  • Tokecrazy, sandbreak and DEBhasgrn like this

#8 froggymountain

froggymountain

SHeaven

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 14 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome inducing acute prerenal failure and electrolyte disturbance

Anyone heard anything on this or other related issues with cannabis induced sodium imbalance?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21877303

In this article, the electrolyte disturbance appears directly related to the emesis - dehydration and consequent electrolyte imbalance are not shocking side effects of emesis (vomiting) and particularly diarrhea.

#9 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21485 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

They want everybody to think this is the average cannabis user. It's easier that way. Unfortunately for them far too many people know different nowadays...
  • DEBhasgrn likes this

#10 mal420xl

mal420xl

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

They want everybody to think this is the average cannabis user.

http://youtu.be/uWiYphJUS7Q

It's easier that way. Unfortunately for them far too many people know different nowadays...

lol everyone i know gave up their microbus for a lexus or bmw or mercedes!
  • DEBhasgrn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users