• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

My aunt is embarking on her first grow and suffers quite severely from this. I was wondering if anyone could offer some perspective? Thanks :)
  • Tokecrazy and painretreat like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 kittypup

kittypup

• Moderators
  • 3767 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

Hi barcelonic... nice to meet you and a big welcome to GP. I'm not familiar at all with CFS but I did run across this while doing a bit or research.... it even recommends a couple different strains for it down at the bottom. http://medicalmariju...-treatments/CFS Hope this helps. Hugs!
  • Tokecrazy, PoeticLife and barcelonic like this

#3 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

thanks kittypup thats a great resource im checkin it out now and ive actually been looking for something like this as seeds hath not been selected yet, so thanks again :)

Edited by barcelonic, 10 June 2013 - 01:24 PM.

• Tokecrazy and PoeticLife like this

#4 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:21 PM

barcelonic, http://www.name-us.org/index.html
tons of information, in that link
here is some of it:

INTRODUCTION TO M.E.

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.) is a neuroimmune disease with serious immune and cardiovascular abnormalities with resulting serious CNS (central nervous system) consequences due to brain injury. The disease snatches the vital life out of patients on the level of diseases like MS, AIDS, mitochondrial diseases, and cancer. The pain, cognitive impairment and exhaustion are often literally unspeakable. Most times M.E. strikes relatively quickly (within hours, days, weeks). Once active and productive children and adults are robbed of vitality, with disability ranging from completely bedridden to somewhat functional. Variable disability usually progresses to premature death. (See Causes of Death)
The cause of M.E. is unknown, but collective research suggests that a triggering initial immune system insult - usually a virus, but sometimes toxic exposure, bacterial infection, trauma, or other physical stressors - for unknown reasons in some patients causes immune system dysfunction that results in a cascade of CNS damage and a vicious cycle among interconnected bodywide systems that explains the many and varied symptoms of M.E.
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is a clear-cut diagnosis with tests that can show the effects of M.E. such as: SPECT and PET Scans, Natural Killer Cell Function test, Rnase-L antiviral dysregulation, Spinal fluid protein abnormalities, and Blood Flow. Infectious onset is most commonly observed. Antivirals and immune modulators have shown promise, but funding for clinical trials has been scarce. Few patients have had the resources and professional care to obtain effective treatments off-label.
Thus, most diagnostic tools and treatments have been denied to the majority of patients, due in large part to government and insurance industry politics. As a result, most patients are left to suffer lifelong disabling chronic progressive illness, and die significantly earlier than the norm with minimal or no treatment. Many lose some or all of their livelihoods: jobs, homes, families. Most are maligned in the same ways that MS and AIDS patients were in previous decades. Most have significantly shortened life spans (averaging roughly around age 55) due to complications arising from M.E. - usually cancer or heart failure, and often suicide due to little hope of treatment for sometimes unbearable pain and prolonged poor quality of life. And no one is immune; anyone of any race, age or gender can get M.E.
Despite advances in investigation into diseases such as MS and AIDS, the US government remains in the dark ages of medical research when it comes to M.E. Independent researchers worldwide have long known M.E., historically described as Atypical MS, Atypical polio, epidemic neuromyasthenia. Many other historic descriptions have implicated infectious onset with chronic neurological and multi-system consequences. (See our Epidemics and Definitions pages for M.E. history.)
During cluster outbreaks in the mid-1980s, the US government ignored M.E. experts, renamed and redefined this illness in several regions of the US after a common symptom in numerous other diseases, i.e. fatigue, thus minimizing a disabling, possibly infectious disease. It was a huge blunder - many claim deliberate - that has cost many lives, and continues to cause untold suffering. "cfs" was never accurate and is no longer viable. Norway's Directorate of Health apologized for past disregard of ME patients; US and other countries' health agencies need to follow Norway's example.
Over late, the US government has recently elevated M.E.'s priority, and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) now considers ME/cfs as "serious and life threatening", finally allowing treatments to be fast-tracked, after decades of delay.
M.E. has been classified as a neurological disease in the World Health Organization's International Classification of Diseases since 1969. It is one of our goals is for this fact to become common knowledge in the medical community.
Thankfully, there are many private and independent researchers in the US and abroad who are bringing to light the seriousness and severity of the neuroimmune, cardiovascular, endocrine, gastrointestinal and other body wide system damage found in M.E. patients. Better diagnostic tools and treatments are finally being developed.
The pages of this website describe just a few research findings, and attempt to summarize the early discoveries that have led researchers to the present. They also offer information to patients and doctors, and direct the reader to more comprehensive information sources about ME and "cfs".

Issues Involving the Name Change Recommendations

Fatigue is difficult to treat with cannabis..it really takes the right strain and possibly harvest time: I was diagnosed with Fibro/CFS in 1991 (which is now MS/CFS-2012) and I know others with Fibro/CFS, that successfully treat it with cannabis and a combination of medications, that help. The ingested oil, is best for the pain, over time. It can take up to months to achieve a high enough dose of the oil, for the pain.

The ME/CFS is compounding. I've purchased a bunch of buds these past few weeks..LOOKING for what you are, for the CFS symptoms and pain control. As, I have a "cog fog" and energy issues, with mine and she may, as well. The fact she is able to grow, a big plus!!!

THC Bomb, so far, is the only strain that really helped it, THE MOST..for me. But, finding it, sucks! And I am unable to grow, much more than dreams, right now.

I recall Haze X Skunk helping it (before I was re-diagnosed-last year), a bit. And one of the Poker Face Strains of Rusty Trichome's, it was PFaK , Poker face or Ambers'PFISD. I haven't had any of those, in a long time, so I am not sure which helped. But here is a list, of all the strains I've tried..the past few weeks...none work on it.

These 3 had the right type of buzz, then I woke up, a few hours later,,,,
Green Crack...might have been harvesrt related...felt a little from it, not what was needed though
Michael Phelps...ditto
Pineapple Express...ditto
Girl Scout Cookies...ditto
About an hour after use, I just fell asleep

No's were because of couchlock were:
F Bomb
King Louis
OG
Fire OG
Humbolt Haze
Pineapple

Yes's were:
Thc Bomb
Haze x Skunk
PFaK... (Poker Face x AK-47: a strain created from Rusty Trichome's Poker Face and bred by Washagal Wonder) this is definitely a harvest related effect.
The Blue strains, all seemed to help a bit for the CFS symptoms from brain disease.

My favorite strain, when in extreme pain, is Blueberry! Hands down, no question. Mostly, for pain and spasticity. Which, is probably not an issue, for your aunt?

Sativa's with EXTREME body highs, make my lower back hurt and spasms in my calves. It is a fine balance. working throught the strains... Blue Dream-caused pain, it wasn't a plus, for me. Plenty has to do with the grower and harvest...imho. In fact, I am wondering if the 'too' early harvest is the one, that cause's pain?

The blueberry I use, is a 'stay at home' toke. Plus, I plan to stay at home, when I need to use it. 14% thc CBD was 1.4% and CBN 0.8%: I keep the bud around for bad' days.

Skywalker is OK, I generally vape it all day long, if not going anywhere, it leaves me, somewhat functional(if I don't overdo it). I just came off of a break and haven't started using, during the day, very much, yet.

I've been to 5 different collectives and still looking; for a strain, easy to get.

Kittypup's link suggests Sour Diesel and Jack Herer. I don't remember what I felt from the Sour D, when I tried it. Jack Herer..not the same.
clearly, the THC Bomb, is a winner for fatigue and cog fog, in my book. Just to find it, almost impossible.

she may find, some unknnown strain, might work. I use an unknown strain nightly, for sleep. I do know, my nightly bud is a sativa dom hybrid. Which brings me to hybrids: There should be a clear division of sativa dom or indica.

Please let us know, which strain works...I'll revisit here and post the new ones, I try. Mostly, I am searching for the strains to make oil with. I'll use a combination of, what works and toke for effects. shrugsmiley.gif pr

Edited by painretreat, 11 June 2013 - 12:06 AM.

• Tokecrazy, Stoned Ranger, PoeticLife and 2 others like this

#5 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

thanks painretreat - its really hard to get this kind of info (symptoms & strains) i find Sadly a lot of the award-winners in medical cups and many of those you've listed are hard to come by in the UK. I'm looking at the moment at a hybrid called Bay 11 by Granddaddy seeds;dyu know anything about that? Apparently its a medical award winner. My aunt basically wants an almost totally cerebral high. Couchlock is an absolute niet for her!! She needs to be able to get-up-and-go, so to speak, but needs the euphoria to fight the pain and so whatever strain can best deliver a good head high like that, while also relaxing the muscles, will be top of the list. Am i right in thinking the following is true (pls correct anything thats wrong)... -Indica strains are more body high, ie couchlock -Sativas are more cerebral and energetic -Indica gives muscle relaxant properties and aids sleep -Sativa gives creativity, improves mood and is very much a 'head-high' I'd really like to know what i've got right and wrong so far as i'm new to all of this. Thanks :)
  • Tokecrazy, PoeticLife and painretreat like this

#6 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

barcelogic; Mostly, that is the way, I understand the Indica and Sativa. However, a good Sativa, can and has, put me to sleep. I think plenty, has to do with, harvest time and the person. And capabilities of the strain selected. The head high, is harder to find, lately. But, I am rather high...all the time, from MS. I don't know anything, about Bay 11. I bet the growers here, can steer you in a direction for ordering seeds. shrugsmiley.gif pr
  • Tokecrazy, couchpotatoking and barcelonic like this

#7 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

thanks! :) i still have a few eeks before she's getting seeds anyways - she wants to figure out her system first so she's confident with her first grow :)

#8 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

if you're looking for another sativa, I can totally recommend Destroyer by Cannabiogen (and its feminized too), prior to that it was Sour Diesel (but have not grown it yet). Its a long grower, but it is my go to for energy and a cerebral high.... but even with that said, when hitting it hard it will definitely will get you stoned. Its the strain I can toke here and there thru the day and still be productive and get beyond the worst of the pain or "fog"... I don' have the M.E., but i do get the "fog" from other immune issues (overlap syndrome).. which is basically a mix of many things immune related.

here's a link on the strain: Destroyer by Cannabiogen
It can flower for up to 11wks but it is truly well worth the wait imho. good luck with the search of what will work for her situation.

hugs and hope you find what helps best!!
smhug.gif
  • Tokecrazy, sandbreak, couchpotatoking and 2 others like this

#9 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

thanks Poetic life i shall check it out. Do you think its easy to grow for beginners or is it nute-sensitive and/or need a lot of attention? the wait won't be so bad if the yield makes up for it. the high you describe sounds great and just what will help my aunt. @Knuckledragger I have set up a questions thread here for my aunt... https://www.greenpas...grow-questions/ Thanks for your help :)

#10 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:28 PM

I believe I grew it out twice or it maybe was 2 plants... I'll take a looksee in my journal and see if I can point you to where it was and how the yeild was... be back in a bit :)

okay tracked it down, it was harvested this April... its on page 40 in my perpetual... its a really heavy yeilder and optimally can go up to 11wks in bloom (I chopped at 10 wks due to space issues). I don't remember having any probs with feeding, but was told it could go lighter on the nutes (I just keep it simple 1tsp maxigro/or bloom and it did fine). it will however need to be staked and tied to be able to hold the weight of the branches (something I'm still practicing at as you'll see) and plan on it stretching. and I think it wouldn't be a prob getting them in the UK since others over there were the ones that mentioned this strain to me!

Attached File  DestroyerHarvestpic1.JPG   226.44KB   3 downloads Attached File  DestroyerHarvestpic2.JPG   263.06KB   4 downloads Attached File  DestroyerHarvestpic3.JPG   200.82KB   5 downloads

smhug.gif

#11 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

ye i found the strain ok, although it does say they r polysexual, not feminised it could be just incorrect labelling on the site though. ive seen it happen before - they have a wide selection ive noted down the destroyer - i think she'll go with an easier strain for her first grow and just bear that one in mind and see how how her first crop turns out first :)

#12 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

barcelonic, I have ME and fibromyalgia. Really, these days I am more affected by pain from fibro flares than from the ME per se. Personally, I find indicas to be extremely helpful, due to the way they work to relax muscles and generally relieve pain. I'm sensitive to caffeine and other things that can make me feel "racy," so I generally avoid sativas. that said, there are indica/indica dominant strains that have a nice bit of uplift (Mandala Seeds' Hashberry is one - check their website for others that they have bred), and this is all *so* individual - a bit from the same plant can have fairly different effects depending on who's taking it, and in what form they take it (smoke or vape, "medibles" etc.). I've found that there's a great deal of trial and error involved in finding strains that work well for me, though I've finally come across several that seem to help a lot. Also, contrary to the conventional wisdom on this, I've used indica/indica-dominant strains that really have helped me with nausea and abdominal pain, though again, that might just be a highly individual (and somewhat quirky!) reaction on my body's part. (Not sure that indica/indica-dominant strains would help with severe nausea, though...) At any rate, there are ways to do a small set-up that require pretty minimal effort to keep plants going and healthy. I do like using fabric pots, as they're incredibly light and easy for me to handle. (I deal with hand, shoulder and neck pain on a regular basis and fabric pots are *so* much easier to lift and move - also great for container gardening in general - veggies, flowers, strawberries, etc.). It might be that hybrid strains (indica/sativa crosses) would be something you'd want to look into. I've read a lot of praise for some of them, in terms of pain relief plus a low amount of drowsiness and couchlock. Also, I find that switching between strains is a good idea - there are times when I need something heavier, and also times that I've felt like I've experienced diminishing returns from one of my "go-to" strains. In that case, switching off to another strain has been of great help, but it takes time and no little patience to figure out what works. (At least, that's been true for me and is likely true for many others as well.) Hope that's of some help to you and your aunt.

Edited by sandbreak, 15 June 2013 - 02:16 AM.

• Tokecrazy, PoeticLife and painretreat like this

#13 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

thanks most of the strains out there seem to be hybrids so its a little overwhelming where to look for a good one. My aunt & i have no knowledge of different strains so without trying out Haze and Northern Lights etc.... its hard to know even which hybrids would be good. my aunt certainly doesn't want couchlock though, and so i think she is quite excited about starting with a sativa, or a hybrid of at least 80% sativa, which some of the medical ones seem to be, or at least a few lol :)
  • Tokecrazy, PoeticLife and sandbreak like this

#14 sandbreak

sandbreak

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

It really *is* overwhelming at first, but it will come to make more sense in time. Here's the thing: I know your aunt wants to feel more wide awake, and I can see the need for a sativa or sativa-dominant hybrid. the thing is... she also needs good-quality rest. Which might mean that the meds cabinet would be ideal if stocked with both sativas and indicas, depending. There are indicas that really don't bring on heavy couchlock and that have a nice mood lift to them, but hey - whatever works best for her is what you're aiming for. :)
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#15 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thanks @sandbreak Ideally i think yes definitely both would be good - one for day smoke and one for night (as you say the indica for feeling drowsy) The thing is though my aunt has meds for sleeping which actually work lol, and her sleeping problems are so severe now theres not a strain in the world lol, so cus she's only got one grow space and will be growing from one reservoir she's gonna start with 4 plants of the same strain, and will be looking toward sativas mostly because the low-grade stuff previously available to her (illicitly) was mostly indica auto hybrids (we suspect) and sativas are just a rare thing near here. I think that may be a part of it - she's not ruling out indicas altogether but she's quite excited about the idea of a 90 or 100 per cent sativa smoke, lol :)
  • sandbreak and painretreat like this

#16 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

barcelonic,

I've been looking for a sativa, for the same reasons. Last year I tried some THC Bomb, while out with a group of activists. To date, it is clearly what I need. The past month, I've sample tons of stuff....still looking.

Humboldt Haze, I love it and it works OK'ish, without the couchlock type of feel, at all. If I get a tad too much, it might as well be a couchlock. I toke it lightly, all day yesterday and had to use something else, last night for sleep! I would definitely lean that direction. Plus, that is a great tasting bud, even better tasting than some others I've favored. lol

Sandbreak?

There are indicas that really don't bring on heavy couchlock and that have a nice mood lift to them, but hey - whatever works best for her is what you're aiming for

Could you please name a few? I am still hunting...thanks.

I am with Barcelonic's aunt on this one, I've switched from looking for a good sleep med to, a nice uplifting daytime med. If I am active and busy enough during the day, sleep isn't such an issue.

Oh, Skunk x Haze; I tried that last year and recall liking it, plenty and no recollection of couchlock feelings.

What I do know is, most sativas I've tried, if I smoke enough will eventually put me to sleep and not yield the lofty energectic head high! Next time I find one, I am latching onto it, on the spot. I'm Gonna kidnap that grower! lol pr
  • couchpotatoking and barcelonic like this

#17 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

@painretreat Thanks for the tip - Humboldt has quite the rep too (some say they grow the best in the world in Humboldt County- so i hear) You are right about the day-med thing - activity during the day tires you out so the worst thing to do in the day is do nothing and that is largely why sleep can be so hard i think. my aunt is looking now at medi bomb #2 and is more concerned right now with trying to set up her gear which is proving real hard
  • painretreat likes this

#18 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

barcelonic,

I am, of course, extremely interested in the system and the ability of your aunt, with growing. Growing outside would be much easier and idealic--as not having to pick up plants--etc.

I've tried THC bomb and Cherry Bomb. I am on the "hunt" for some good THC bomb, it helped my energy and attitude! The cherry bomb had a better taste(similar to the Humboldt Haze-but no couchlock type effects) and wasn't so uplifting (probably due to harvest time).

An impatient grower could probably answer this; What the different feelings are of harvesting at different stages of trichome maturity or immature? I wonder if taking a bud, just before it turns cloudy would be more of a stimulant? And, if Indica or Sativa would have similar effects. Which, I will eventually try.

Growing inside scares me. I am afraid to have a room set up and not be able to handle it. Plus, I have the 'dropsies' with m.s. and I have dropped a plant already. I drop everything..very frustrating.

Sativas were really cheap here, last year. Not this year. Somehow, I am leaning more toward sativa dom hybrids for daytime meds. It is getting harder and harder to find that old fashioned sativa that rumbles and wrecks havoc with my sleep. I have found a few strains that are perfect to allow sleep, after using any sativa. Hindu Kush (indica)was the best one, for me for sleep. Knocks me out, every time.

Somehow, I believe by boosting daytime energy and being able to do more, allows for better sleep, as well. As per, conventional wisdom. Although, when I have active days, often I cannot settle down at night. Most likely because, if I have a good day and get plenty accomplished I am tremendously excited and I don't want to stop, because I may not be able the next day. Overstimulation with activity during the day can, also keep me up, at night.

Is she setting up the grow room or are you or both? :unsure:
Does she have any problems with lifting things or the 'dropsies'? Regardless, this is the only viable option. Or win the lottery and own a 300 acre farm! lol

barcelonic--thank you for sharing this information. If there is any possibility to discuss the equipment, any difficulty with ability and weight, well, definitely interested here. thanks B) pr

Edited by painretreat, 10 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#19 barcelonic

barcelonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

@painretreat Ye np, she'll be using a 1mx1mx1.8m tent with a 4pot wilma system plus the following for the environment: 600w HPS light Carbon filter & 6" extraction fan An exhaust silencer to be fitted outside the tent (with the fan & filter suspended inside) - this is because it is her bedroom lol and she's concerned about noise while trying to sleep Small clip-on fan for the canopy For the medium she'll be germinating in 3" rockwool cubes using a heated electric propagator for the first week or two and then transplanting into the pots using clay pebbles as the main medium. My aunt is reading books on the subject and she'll learn how to harvest once her setup is running but she doesnt wanna get too far ahead of herself right now. Not only is she eager to get it set up quickly but its kinda costing her money evry day she doesn't as she needed to borrow money to get the equipment and can only pay that person back once she's freed herself of illicit supply costs, which curently take all her disposable income :( her worst symptom is a sleeping disorder called DSPD and which means she's at her most awake and alert at around 5-9am and finds it nearly impossible to get her sleep cycle to match the natural circadian rythym we all have. Being asleep during the days is what causes most of her problems and depression. She thinks if she can sort this out she can cure herself (mnd over matter, and all that). The green aint for that thought she has sleeping meds and determination; the smoke is for the times she is awake so she can be a bit more energetic and get up from the couch more, to do things (she has a very active, enthused mind and it saddens her that she's unable to pursue things, even in the house). Thanks for your interest, maybe as her grow gets going we can share tips as ME and MS aren't entirely dissimilar, particularly in terms of how it can affect metabolism/physiology. I suspect a good strain for ME would be a decent strain for MS and vice versa. :)
  • painretreat likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users