24 replies to this topic

#1 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

for the last 4 years ive had problems with spider mites.. i have used everything i can find to keep from getting them.. another problem i have had is mold.. . If there is anyone out there that can PLEASE talk to me about these problems id sure appricate it.. Grampa tom
  • Tokecrazy and plant boy like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6395 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hello GT,I will help you if I can. I had the dam mites for over a year. Holler back with what you have for a set up and all the Temps , humidity , and is the grow in the basement or? I think we can fix it. Peace
  • plant boy and Blue61 like this

#3 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16955 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

they are a menice,,,,,might wash has worked the best for me and i've been in the battle for years,,,,,,lady bugs,,,,mighty mites,,,,safer's soap,,,,etc
  • Tokecrazy and Blue61 like this

#4 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hello GT,I will help you if I can. I had the dam mites for over a year. Holler back with what you have for a set up and all the Temps , humidity , and is the grow in the basement or? I think we can fix it. Peace

Tokecrazy, thank you for the reply.. I dont grow indoor.. It cost to much for the equipment for me to try it.. Ive been growing outdoors from the start.. about 4 years ago i was first hit by spider mites and each year after i have been hit worse than the year before,, this year i found them about april 15th and have not been able to get rid of them.. I have use just about everything i can find to get rid of them..outside of spraying the whole property with something i dont know what to do..
  • plant boy and PoeticLife like this

#5 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16955 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

find some lady bugs
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#6 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

I stopped at one of the ranches down the hill from me.. I spoke to one of the hands working there.. i asked him if they ever had problems with spider mites.. He told me that every spring when the winds blow in they get them.. I told him i had a very bad infestation of them and that i get them every year.. he kind of laughed about it. but told me they use a product that not only kills every mite but the eggs as well. the name of the product is (TAKE DOWN GARDEN SPRAY) i USED IT ON THE MOST INFECTED PLANT I HAD THIS MORNING EARLY.. i WENT OUT THERE JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO WITH A MAGNAFYING GLASS AND A 600 POWER SCOPE TO CHECK THE PLANT...yOU GUYS WANT TO GET SOME OF THIS STUFF. nOT ONLY DID I FIND DEAD MITES, BUT I FOUND THAT THE SPRAY STRIPED THE LEAVES OF EVEN THE EGGS.... i CHECKED EVERY LEAF AND EVEN UP AND DOWN EACH STEM . I FOUND NOTHING ON THE PLANT.. bEFORE I SPRAYED THE PLANT I PLACED A WHITe SHEET UNDER THE PLANT.. i COUNTED OVER 1900 DEAD SPIDER MITES AND EGGS.. i JUESS THE MORLE OF THIS STORY ABOUT SPIDER MITES IS THAT YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK THE RIGHT PERSON..nOT ONLY DID I FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKs , BUT IT DIDNT COST ME ANYTHING.. THE MAN GAVE ME a WHOLE GALLION OF THE take down garden spray hE ONLY ASKED THAT I BRING HIM SOME BUDS WHE I HARVEST .. i ALSO WAS GIVEN THE NAME OF THE PLACE I CAN OBTAIN MORE OF IT IF NEEDED .. pass this along you guys.. it works on contact and fast.. Grampa tom

Edited by grampa tom, 11 June 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• Tokecrazy and plant boy like this

#7 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Ladybugs and/or SM90

• Tokecrazy likes this

#8 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16955 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

been using neem oil lately

• Tokecrazy and KnuckleDragger like this

#9 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

neem, insectasoidal fatty acids soap and then pyrethrum, one day after the other...WHAM! WHAM! KA-BLAM!

muA

• Tokecrazy, plant boy and KnuckleDragger like this

#10 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Avid works, but is toxic and if you are commercial in CO, will get you shut down. I don't know what it does to people, but it is banned here. news story said a bottle was found at a commercial grow and the place was shut down and plants taken out. The way the laws are it wouldn't surprise me to see all of the stuff that works well banned. I am all about prevention so spray the exterior foundation of my home in the spring and fall with a regular store bought broad spectrum pesticide, from a 1 gallon sprayer. Also have yellow sticky traps in the grow and crawling insect sticky traps on the floor. Gnatrol works well against those pesky bugs, which are here as "drain gnats", harmless but annoying as Hell. Diatomaceous earth helps as does sand on top of your soil pots.Keeping the little indoor garden super clean has worked for me thusfar, except for the one terrible day when someone gave me an infested plant, which shut down my grow for weeks while I spent many long hours cleaning. Outdoor grows amaze me when they make it to harvest without pests, some regions are so infested that it is impossible to grow there. http://www.domyownpe...ide-p-2330.html

Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide is the best insecticide for mites and leaf miners. The label for Avid now includes the suppression of whiteflies, aphids, and thrips. Growers, nursery and landscape professionals depend on Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide for their ornamentals because it provides unmatched protection against leaf miners and mites. Use in your resistance management program rotation because its one-of-a-kind chemistry and mode of action.

Active Ingredient: Abamectin - 2% Target pests: Mites, European Red Mite, Twospotted Spider Mite, Carmine Spider Mite, Southern Red Mite, Spruce Spider Mite, Tarsonemid Mites, Cyclamen Mites, Broad Mites, Eriophyid Mites, Rust Mites, Bud Mites, Liriomyza Leafminers, Boxwood Leafminer, Aphids, Thrips, Whiteflies For use in: Shadehouses, Greenhouses, Nurseries & Field-Grown: Ornamental Plants, Foliage Plants, Christmas Trees, and other Woody Ornamentals
* See label for complete list Application: 4 - 8 oz. per 100 gallons
* See label for complete application instructions Pet safe: Yes, if used as directed on label Formulation: Professional Product Shipping Weight: 0.49 lbs Manufactured By: Syngenta

#11 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:44 PM

I've used avid 2 times over many years out here, as I work on intently on prevention.  I've always been able to hit it 3-4 wks before a harvest and I've never had an issue.  I do, occasionally, pre-treat a room while it's between stages and that's really ensured no direct contact with the green and a completely unwelcome environment for anything to get a start.  handle with care?  absolutely.  safe when properly used with careful precautions?  absolutely.

That's the difference between taking care of things yourself and some spaced out, minimum wager, working the 9-5.  just my opinion/experience.  YMMV.

edit add: oh.  crap.  didn't realize this was the outdoor section.  my bad.  carry on.

Edited by BikerPepe, 20 May 2017 - 11:45 PM.

#12 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

The story with these mites is simply to avoid them at all costs because they are so difficult to eliminate. I actually have a vacuum cleaner for my small grow and use it nearly every day to keep a super clean garden. There are no beneficial insects in my garden today because there are no bugs at all. Fanatical attention to detail really does help, both with gardening and as outlet for OCD. I wonder what organic folks do when mites show up. The mild stuff doesn't seem to work very well against these bugs and the strong stuff is quite dangerous if handled wrong. I like to juice leaves when I have some, so never spray anything on my plants or even in the same room because paranoid about consuming any pesticides because of cancer history. There are only 2 identified environmental compounds that seem to be linked to brain cancers, ionizing radiation and pesticides. So, use care with the sprays, especially when making edibles. Not sure what happens when you smoke some pesticide, but guessing it probably is not good, which is why there are banned products in the commercial biz. I hate to recall the day that I harvested a dozen ripe plants to destroy after receiving a plant as a gift. My plan was to treat it with Azamax as prevention and then take clones, but set it in my grow while out for errands and spotted the problem a few hours later. The Azamax did not help against the bugs, so I removed everything, cleaned the grow, sprayed the room with Avid 3 times a few days apart, cleaned again a week later and then restarted the garden  a month later. The fanaticism paid off and I have had zero problems since. I honestly cannot understand how an outdoor grow can be accomplished without pesticides, so good luck with that! If anyone has experience with something that works, please post it up, anything that actually works and is non-toxic would be awesome for people who enjoy cannabis from the great outdoors.

• Tokecrazy, BikerPepe, plant boy and 1 other like this

#13 zzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

The story with these mites is simply to avoid them at all costs because they are so difficult to eliminate. I actually have a vacuum cleaner for my small grow and use it nearly every day to keep a super clean garden. There are no beneficial insects in my garden today because there are no bugs at all. Fanatical attention to detail really does help, both with gardening and as outlet for OCD. I wonder what organic folks do when mites show up. The mild stuff doesn't seem to work very well against these bugs and the strong stuff is quite dangerous if handled wrong. I like to juice leaves when I have some, so never spray anything on my plants or even in the same room because paranoid about consuming any pesticides because of cancer history. There are only 2 identified environmental compounds that seem to be linked to brain cancers, ionizing radiation and pesticides. So, use care with the sprays, especially when making edibles. Not sure what happens when you smoke some pesticide, but guessing it probably is not good, which is why there are banned products in the commercial biz. I hate to recall the day that I harvested a dozen ripe plants to destroy after receiving a plant as a gift. My plan was to treat it with Azamax as prevention and then take clones, but set it in my grow while out for errands and spotted the problem a few hours later. The Azamax did not help against the bugs, so I removed everything, cleaned the grow, sprayed the room with Avid 3 times a few days apart, cleaned again a week later and then restarted the garden a month later. The fanaticism paid off and I have had zero problems since. I honestly cannot understand how an outdoor grow can be accomplished without pesticides, so good luck with that! If anyone has experience with something that works, please post it up, anything that actually works and is non-toxic would be awesome for people who enjoy cannabis from the great outdoors.

My advice ( working for me that is.... ) is as mentioned earlier beneficial insects...
Against mites namely californicus ambliselius and or phytoselius persimillis...

And as prévention neem

I had regular mites problèms indoor...
Solved it with cleanliness, neem when in veg and finally beneficials ( usually californicus... They re supposed to live longer without mites to chomp on than phytoselius)

Hope it does help...

Outdoor u can put them as soon as you expect to be hit!!!!

Cheers

Edited by zzzzzzzz, 27 May 2017 - 03:37 AM.

#14 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:14 AM

Avid was so over-used in my neck of the woods, it created a super mite...nearly made me quit growing.  IMHO it should only be used in early veg, and I won't use it

I've found AzaMax mixed with Spinosad works well...sometimes one application

#15 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

I'd hear the same from a friend in the S.Ore about the super-mites.

AVID wasn't the only real concern from what I've heard but I'm sure it was in the mix.

Like antibiotics... too much of any 1 thing can be a problem.

As said... there is no replacement strategy for prevention but sh!t happens to the very best of us.

• Tokecrazy, plant boy, KnuckleDragger and 2 others like this

#16 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:22 AM

3 pronged attack. Use 3 diff treatments 3 days in a row.... knocks the mites hard and heavy and does not leave survivors to pass on resistance.

Pyrethrum, soapy fatty acid spray and Neem, one day after the other.

muA

#17 420circuit

420circuit

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Asked a commercial grower how they keep the bugs out and he explained a serious protocol with air doors, an air chamber that employees pass thru, special doormat contraptions and a routine spraying with Azamax, which I questioned and he responded that they can spray it up to 2 weeks into flower. They use coir in 3 gal containers and routinely yield over a lb per light. (I watched an AN video of an interview in a CA shop where they are getting over 2 lbs per plant, something you need to see to believe.) I am concerned about the sprays and won't make oil from anything sprayed or with bugs. If a person with a compromised immune system gets into something toxic, even in very small amounts, it can be a big problem. These mail order offers to ship oil should scare people away because of the very real possibility of being poisoned by either solvent, pesticides, pathogens introduced during processing... So I love that Stoney Girl is showing how to do this at home, but would like to see a better mite prevention scheme for us home growers. An inventor here has a gizmo that looks like a wand with electronics that he says works well against mites and will be releasing it..."someday".

• Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#18 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

AzaMax is suppose to be organic, but I have never used too far into flower, and luckily haven't had to use anything in a couple of years.

Here in Oregon they have banned just about everything in the way of pesticides and fungicides, for both home growers and dispensaries.

Has become a bit of a problem because they don't have enough labs for testing.  The do not inspect or test home grows though.

It would be cool if you could just zap the buggers with a magic wand!

• Tokecrazy, BikerPepe, KnuckleDragger and 1 other like this

#19 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

Smoke Sesh- WTF are they spraying? Bad Foliar Chems, with Roscoe AND Roscoe

https://www.podbean....annabis Podcast

muA

Edited by IammuA, 01 June 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#20 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:19 AM

Wish I could have called in a question for this podcast muA.  I only listened to the first part where they were talking about Eagle 20, a fungicide which I use.  I use only in very early veg, so I was wondering if it was still dangerous...was not good news for your brain when smoked as the temps change the chemical properties

#21 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:42 AM

They do go into some of the effect and mock the use of almost any word on the labeling except toxic, poisonous or lethal :D: hehhehe

Email in your questions and concerns to them, they are always asking ppl to send in questions.

muA

Edited by IammuA, 02 June 2017 - 10:44 AM.

• Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#22 zzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzz

Honored Retired Staff

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:15 AM

I m frightened...

Azamax this
Avid that

Fungicide...pesticides......

Dammit !!!!!!

USE BENEFICIALS

See list above...
And in my sig... (Pests guide and beneficials...)

Edited by zzzzzzzz, 06 June 2017 - 03:35 AM.

• KnuckleDragger and Suzycrmcheese like this

#23 Suzycrmcheese

Suzycrmcheese

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1569 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

I m frightened...

Azamax this
Avid that

Fungicide...pesticides......

Dammit !!!!!!

USE BENEFICIALS

See list above...
And in my sig... (Pests guide and beneficials...)

The link did not work for me, but got there eventually.  Don't have a mite problem, but was curious about what happens to the predatory mites after they have done their job..  Are you smoking dead bugs as chances are you are not going to have pollen to keep them alive...just curious? 

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#24 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 20087 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

"Organic certified" doesn't mean what most people think it does. The best cure is prevention, but if you have to use something, read and understand the instructions first...

• BikerPepe, Suzycrmcheese and Verwegener like this

#25 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:23 AM

Ideally one would have a HEPA inlet and a sealed growroom to prevent airborne bugs and particulates.....Ideally Hysterical

muA

• KnuckleDragger and Verwegener like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users