10 replies to this topic

#1 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

for the last 4 years ive had problems with spider mites.. i have used everything i can find to keep from getting them.. another problem i have had is mold.. . If there is anyone out there that can PLEASE talk to me about these problems id sure appricate it.. Grampa tom
  • Tokecrazy and plant boy like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 Tokecrazy

Tokecrazy

Hydro Guru

• Super Administrators
  • 6373 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hello GT,I will help you if I can. I had the dam mites for over a year. Holler back with what you have for a set up and all the Temps , humidity , and is the grow in the basement or? I think we can fix it. Peace
  • plant boy and Blue61 like this

#3 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16819 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

they are a menice,,,,,might wash has worked the best for me and i've been in the battle for years,,,,,,lady bugs,,,,mighty mites,,,,safer's soap,,,,etc
  • Tokecrazy and Blue61 like this

#4 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hello GT,I will help you if I can. I had the dam mites for over a year. Holler back with what you have for a set up and all the Temps , humidity , and is the grow in the basement or? I think we can fix it. Peace

Tokecrazy, thank you for the reply.. I dont grow indoor.. It cost to much for the equipment for me to try it.. Ive been growing outdoors from the start.. about 4 years ago i was first hit by spider mites and each year after i have been hit worse than the year before,, this year i found them about april 15th and have not been able to get rid of them.. I have use just about everything i can find to get rid of them..outside of spraying the whole property with something i dont know what to do..
  • plant boy and PoeticLife like this

#5 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16819 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

find some lady bugs

#6 grampa tom

grampa tom

Tokin & smokin

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

I stopped at one of the ranches down the hill from me.. I spoke to one of the hands working there.. i asked him if they ever had problems with spider mites.. He told me that every spring when the winds blow in they get them.. I told him i had a very bad infestation of them and that i get them every year.. he kind of laughed about it. but told me they use a product that not only kills every mite but the eggs as well. the name of the product is (TAKE DOWN GARDEN SPRAY) i USED IT ON THE MOST INFECTED PLANT I HAD THIS MORNING EARLY.. i WENT OUT THERE JUST A FEW MINUTES AGO WITH A MAGNAFYING GLASS AND A 600 POWER SCOPE TO CHECK THE PLANT...yOU GUYS WANT TO GET SOME OF THIS STUFF. nOT ONLY DID I FIND DEAD MITES, BUT I FOUND THAT THE SPRAY STRIPED THE LEAVES OF EVEN THE EGGS.... i CHECKED EVERY LEAF AND EVEN UP AND DOWN EACH STEM . I FOUND NOTHING ON THE PLANT.. bEFORE I SPRAYED THE PLANT I PLACED A WHITe SHEET UNDER THE PLANT.. i COUNTED OVER 1900 DEAD SPIDER MITES AND EGGS.. i JUESS THE MORLE OF THIS STORY ABOUT SPIDER MITES IS THAT YOU JUST HAVE TO ASK THE RIGHT PERSON..nOT ONLY DID I FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKs , BUT IT DIDNT COST ME ANYTHING.. THE MAN GAVE ME a WHOLE GALLION OF THE take down garden spray hE ONLY ASKED THAT I BRING HIM SOME BUDS WHE I HARVEST .. i ALSO WAS GIVEN THE NAME OF THE PLACE I CAN OBTAIN MORE OF IT IF NEEDED .. pass this along you guys.. it works on contact and fast.. Grampa tom

Edited by grampa tom, 11 June 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• plant boy likes this

#7 Mogie

Mogie

Ganja Goddess

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4499 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Ladybugs and/or SM90

#8 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16819 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

been using neem oil lately

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#9 IammuA

IammuA

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

neem, insectasoidal fatty acids soap and then pyrethrum, one day after the other...WHAM! WHAM! KA-BLAM!

muA

• KnuckleDragger likes this

#10 420circuit

420circuit

Educated Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Avid works, but is toxic and if you are commercial in CO, will get you shut down. I don't know what it does to people, but it is banned here. news story said a bottle was found at a commercial grow and the place was shut down and plants taken out. The way the laws are it wouldn't surprise me to see all of the stuff that works well banned. I am all about prevention so spray the exterior foundation of my home in the spring and fall with a regular store bought broad spectrum pesticide, from a 1 gallon sprayer. Also have yellow sticky traps in the grow and crawling insect sticky traps on the floor. Gnatrol works well against those pesky bugs, which are here as "drain gnats", harmless but annoying as Hell. Diatomaceous earth helps as does sand on top of your soil pots.Keeping the little indoor garden super clean has worked for me thusfar, except for the one terrible day when someone gave me an infested plant, which shut down my grow for weeks while I spent many long hours cleaning. Outdoor grows amaze me when they make it to harvest without pests, some regions are so infested that it is impossible to grow there. http://www.domyownpe...ide-p-2330.html

Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide is the best insecticide for mites and leaf miners. The label for Avid now includes the suppression of whiteflies, aphids, and thrips. Growers, nursery and landscape professionals depend on Avid 0.15 EC Miticide Insecticide for their ornamentals because it provides unmatched protection against leaf miners and mites. Use in your resistance management program rotation because its one-of-a-kind chemistry and mode of action.

Active Ingredient: Abamectin - 2% Target pests: Mites, European Red Mite, Twospotted Spider Mite, Carmine Spider Mite, Southern Red Mite, Spruce Spider Mite, Tarsonemid Mites, Cyclamen Mites, Broad Mites, Eriophyid Mites, Rust Mites, Bud Mites, Liriomyza Leafminers, Boxwood Leafminer, Aphids, Thrips, Whiteflies For use in: Shadehouses, Greenhouses, Nurseries & Field-Grown: Ornamental Plants, Foliage Plants, Christmas Trees, and other Woody Ornamentals
* See label for complete list Application: 4 - 8 oz. per 100 gallons
* See label for complete application instructions Pet safe: Yes, if used as directed on label Formulation: Professional Product Shipping Weight: 0.49 lbs Manufactured By: Syngenta

#11 BikerPepe

BikerPepe

gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationN.E. WA.

Posted 20 May 2017 - 11:44 PM

I've used avid 2 times over many years out here, as I work on intently on prevention.  I've always been able to hit it 3-4 wks before a harvest and I've never had an issue.  I do, occasionally, pre-treat a room while it's between stages and that's really ensured no direct contact with the green and a completely unwelcome environment for anything to get a start.  handle with care?  absolutely.  safe when properly used with careful precautions?  absolutely.

That's the difference between taking care of things yourself and some spaced out, minimum wager, working the 9-5.  just my opinion/experience.  YMMV.

edit add: oh.  crap.  didn't realize this was the outdoor section.  my bad.  carry on.

Edited by BikerPepe, 20 May 2017 - 11:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users