#1 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I have some plants going (42 days into a 60 day veg from clone) that I have been trying to clone with no success. One of them is a SKYWALKER OG that is showing an interesting trait. It is developing multiple branches (2 to as many as 5) from most every node. I have a feeling that this may be a very high yield plant, especially if it was allowed to grow outside all season. I have tried to clone about 40 cuttings in the last 3 weeks, but am loosing 2 or 3 daily, and am down to 19 struggling cuttings. I have tried putting the cuttings in just water, and water plus using b-1 and rooting hormone. These seemed to stay looking good for about a week, then white powdery mildew set in. I tried a cutting in just soil, and several in soil using b-1 and rooting hormone in a jiffy seed/clone dome. I had mold develop on the lid of the dome by the second day (I did not crack the lid the first day), and mold on the peat pots by the 3rd day. I am taking healthy cuttings that are 4 to 6 inches with many nodes, cutting the clones a little long, placing them directly in b-1/water mix for 15 to 30 min, then making the final cut under water just below a node that has been trimmed of all veg matter, dip it in rooting hormone, into FFOF soil, then very lightly watered in. I do not have them on a heating pad, and the nighttime temp vs. the daytime temp varies from 65 to about 80 (maybe most of my problem). Humidity varies in my house from 25-28% at night, and 12-15% during the day, but I have been keeping the cuttings misted several times daily. Any advice from someone experienced and successful with cloning would be much appreciated.
  • plant boy, Blue61 and painretreat like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21456 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Cloning is an interesting proposition, some plants clone easily and some it can be a real fight. also just like growing some people do better with some styles of cloning as compared to other styles. You might look through this to see the different types of cloning https://www.icmag.co...ad.php?t=169382 and we'll of course try to help.
  • plant boy, Blue61 and tre93543 like this

#3 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thanks KnuckleDragger, I am trying to clone SKYWALKER OG, UK CHEESE, DJ SHORTS TRUE BLUEBERRY, and PLATINUM BUBBA KUSH. They all seem to be dying at different rates, regardless of strain. Do you think there would be any harm in putting the remaining clones in my grow room? I would need to check the soil moisture often I am assuming. Very intense light in there, but humidity and temp are consistent, with a 100% air exchange every minute. My temps in there are 70 F. lowest lights off, and 73 to 78 highest lights on, with 35 to 50% humidity depending on lights on/off, and if the intake and exhaust fans are on/off (I have them on for 30 min, off for 30 during lights on. 1 hr. off, 30 min on during lights off.
  • plant boy, PoeticLife and Blue61 like this

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21456 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

You might give it a try, though I'd keep the clones to one side so they'll get get light but not too much. I'll also mention that a lot of times clones can look sickly for a couple of weeks till they root in. How are you doing your cloning?
  • plant boy, PoeticLife, Blue61 and 2 others like this

#5 Turf

Turf

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1985 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

hi tre,
sounds like you have some disease issues - i'm guessing rhizoctonia or pythium.... depending on the temp of your clone area.

disease is best prevented. sanitation and not reusing old media

once you have a problem..... look to some chemicals for a cure

check out this link for more info:
http://tomclothier.h...net/page13.html
  • plant boy, PoeticLife, Blue61 and 1 other like this

#6 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

You might give it a try, though I'd keep the clones to one side so they'll get get light but not too much. I'll also mention that a lot of times clones can look sickly for a couple of weeks till they root in.

How are you doing your cloning?

I have 1 uk cheese that I cut on the 9th of this month. I cut it right below a node with sterile clippers. Immediately stuck the cut end in about 75 F. water and trimmed the leafy matter off of the bottom node (while still under water). I then put it in FFOF mix in a 1 gal pot, covered it with clear plastic, and kept it moist in the kitchen window sill. It was good for the first couple of days, them started developing white powdery mildew. I removed it from the kitchen window sill and moved it to the living room window (gets filtered sun all day, and a little bit of indirect light from a close by reptile light). The powdery mildew has gone away, she droops during the day, but bounces back at night and in the mornings. it has been 20 days since I took this cutting and no new growth yet. Still hopeful on this one. On the 11th of this month I took several cuttings in the same manor as the previous one, but stuck them in water only. They also looked good for a couple of days, then developed powdery mildew on some. I pulled those with mildew, and moved the rest to the living room window sill also. After 2 weeks and no roots showing, I dipped them in b-1, rooting hormone, then into a jiffy starter dome with FFOF. After 1 day, I noticed mold on the clear dome, so I ditched the clear cover. I lost some of those, but half of them are trying to hang in there.Attached File  DSC01448.JPG   97.96KB   5 downloads Last week, I took 18 cuttings. I cut them a little long, then directly into water with b-1. I then cut it to just below the node and trimmed up all veg matter from that node all while under water. I let them sit in the water/b-1 for 30ish minutes. Then I dipped them in rooting powder and planted them in the starter dome with the others that I had just put in there. After 1 day, I found mildew on the dome lid, so I ditched the lid, only to find the next day that there was mildew on the outside of the peat pots in the starter pot. I wiped off all mildew with a damp cloth and a lil hydrogen peroxide. I have lost about half of those cuttings so far. I am thinking that I have several things going on here. 1 temp and humidity fluctuating too much. 2 I just found yesterday that our septic system has been leaking just outside of the window of our kitchen that I was trying to start these clones at. It has been apparently leaking for some time, and explains why my family has been sick a lot for the last year or so, and why mold/mildew was developing. What do you think?

#7 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

hi tre,
sounds like you have some disease issues - i'm guessing rhizoctonia or pythium.... depending on the temp of your clone area.

After finding the sanitation issue at my house, it wouldn't surprise me that I am making sick cuttings. Thanks

#8 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

tre, after you make your cut, are you "skinning" the lower portion of the clone, above the cut? I took a class on cloning and I recall that step.. Or, is that what you refer to as, 'removing' all the vegetable matter?

#9 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21456 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

When you take your cutting you say that you are using clippers, do you mean scissors? All cutting should be taken by slicing it with a sharp blade such as a razor blade or X-acto knife as any kind of shears crushes the cuttings end. http://www.weedguru....hp?f=88&t=26619 and http://www.weedguru....=385508#p385508

#10 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

tre, after you make your cut, are you "skinning" the lower portion of the clone, above the cut?

I took a class on cloning and I recall that step..
Or, is that what you refer to as, 'removing' all the vegetable matter?

I cut off the leaf, and little growth from the lowermost node, then scrape it up a little in the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch above that node.

When you take your cutting you say that you are using clippers, do you mean scissors? All cutting should be taken by slicing it with a sharp blade such as a razor blade or X-acto knife as any kind of shears crushes the cuttings end. http://www.weedguru....hp?f=88&t=26619 and http://www.weedguru....=385508#p385508

HMMMMMMMMM. HOLD ON A SEC WHILE I GO KICK MY OWN ASS..............................................................Wow, I have been using some very good, sharp, sewing seem ripping scissors. But they would not give me anywhere close to the cut of a good sharp razor blade. I am in the California desert, with humidity of around 10 to 20%. Under these circumstances, do you think cloning in water might be my best way to go? or do you suggest a different method?

#11 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

hi tre,

thanks turf, good info for me to have

#12 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21456 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

With that low of humidity it might be best to go ahead and clone them into water, just be sure to change water every 3 days or so.

#13 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

I was hoping you would say that. I just got everything set up, and am going to go take a dozen cuttings in a few. I hope this works, I only have 2 more weeks till I want to flower. thanks again

#14 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Attached File  DSC01467.JPG   129.17KB   9 downloadsAttached File  DSC01465.JPG   131.39KB   12 downloadsAttached File  DSC01466.JPG   132.16KB   8 downloadsHere are the cutting that I took last night. I took 3 of each strain, totaling 12. I took many of them with 2 nodes close together at the bottom to have a chance at more roots, and scuffed up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the bottom. They range from 4 to 6 inches, and I used a new razor blade that cut through like butter. Except on the Skywalker, it has very hard, dense stems. I dipped them in b-1/water mix for a few minutes, then in rooting powder(don't know if it will do any good in water, but looks like most of it stuck). I put a little b-1 and Superthrive in the water basin, set those girls in, and wished them good luck. I have them in the Living Room window where they get all day indirect light and the temp holds between 70 and 78 F. What do you think?

#15 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21456 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Looks good so far and the rooting compounds will help even in water. Now it's just a matter of time.
  • plant boy, Blue61, painretreat and 1 other like this

#16 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:53 PM

Thanks KnuckleDragger

#17 grownhard

grownhard

Seasoned Member

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Locationearths edge

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

i think a humitifer would help you out alot sometimes mine uses 10 gallons water a day

Edited by grownhard, 31 March 2013 - 08:28 AM.

• plant boy, Blue61, painretreat and 1 other like this

#18 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

i think a humitifer would help you out alot sometimes mine uses 10 gallons water a day

"Humidity varies in my house from 25-28% at night, and 12-15% during the day, but I have been keeping the cuttings misted several times daily. Any advice from someone experienced and successful cloning.."
Tre

I think you need to talk to the ladies, I hear, that helps, plenty! chimplaughing.gif pr

#19 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

Easter Day. Had a Good day, Smoking Blue Dream and Bubba Kush all day long, but it started a little uneasy. I was in the front yard getting the smoker ready for an Easter Tri-Tip roast when I seen a cop drive by really slow. A minute later, here comes a different one going slow in the other direction. Within 3 or 4 minutes, they were both parked across the street. They hung there for maybe 20 minutes then 2 more pulled up, and parked. They were all there for around an hour, as they suited up un vests and went over some paperwork they had. I was a bit worried until my son wanted to light up. That is when it hit me that if they were there for me, they would not me setting up across the street. But Damn, I had my clones right out in my front window were they could see if they looked too hard. Lesson learned. I am California legal in all ways, but I do not need to be putting it out there for all to see. But then again, all the po po around here know that we smoke. They have been in my house many times dealing with my son who is severely bi-polar and know that we are legal. He now smokes a lot of herb and does not need to have visits from the nice men with meds and straight jackets. lol Anyway, they left and I spent the next 6 hours working on smoking a killer Tri-Tip, and smoking some killer bud. THANKS Z, YOU ALWAYS COME THROUGH. I have always loved BBQing, and Grilling, but for the last 6 months I have been hung up on smoking meats. I have smoked salmon, beef and pork ribs, brisket, chicken, and tonight Beef Tri-Tip. Made my own marinade, and dry rub. This was the best Tri-Tip that I have ever had. It was a large, 5 + lbs, cooked to my perfect liking of rare, med rare. Juicy all the way through, fork cutting tender, and so damn delicious, I had to share it.Attached File  DSC01468.JPG   128.56KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSC01471.JPG   132.5KB   0 downloads We had fresh green beans cooked with bacon, Hawaiian dinner rolls, ambrosia salad, chocolate turtle pie, and banana cream pie to go with it. As usual, I had the munchies, and over did it. So did the wife, she was passed out 1 hr after eating. I hope everyone had a great Easter 2013. For me Easter is a time to celebrate, and give thanks for the actions and events of one man, Jesus. If you do not feel the same way, then Happy Easter to you also and all that it means to you.

#20 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

We are starting to run our swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) a little during the day to keep the house cool. when it is running, Humidity shoots up a lot, maybe 40-50% I am guessing. I am trying water cloning, and think this may be the way for me to go. Well, at least that is my thought this week, lol. Thanks for the advice

#21 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

"Humidity varies in my house from 25-28% at night, and 12-15% during the day, but I have been keeping the cuttings misted several times daily. Any advice from someone experienced and successful cloning.."
Tre

I think you need to talk to the ladies, I hear, that helps, plenty! chimplaughing.gif pr

PR, I talk to them all the time, but it is always the same thing, "NOT TONIGHT I HAVE A ROOT ACHE". Then they start to keel over :scream: I NEED A HUG

#22 painretreat

painretreat

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

LOL Try This! :kittenhugs: pr

#23 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

PR, I talk to them all the time, but it is always the same thing, "NOT TONIGHT I HAVE A ROOT ACHE". Then they start to keel over :scream: I NEED A HUG

LOL Try This! :kittenhugs: pr

Hug Smiley Hug Smiley Hug Smiley

#24 tre93543

tre93543

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationSo. Cali.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

The newest cut clones (the ones I used a razor blade on) are looking as good on day 3 as they did when I cut them. The older ones went into my grow room, and are mostly looking better. I think I may have some rooting on a couple because they are starting to get some green back into the leaves. If all goes well, I will take more cuttings next week.

#25 plant boy

plant boy

Master Gardener

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18390 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

if your getting mold it's to wet,,,,,,to the contrary of the ones before me i clone with sizzors and then put the cutting in my mouth and chew gently on the stem ,,,,,into the rooting powder then into damp but not wet rockwool cube,,,,,,under the dome with a piece of screen for sun block,,,,,most make it
  • Blue61, painretreat and tre93543 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cloning, clones, multi branches

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users