Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

Photo
- - - - -

How to convert a closet to be light leak proof?

materials needed

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

Keeper of the Sacred Panic Button!!

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts
  • LocationDown the rabbit hole.. my alternate universe.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I thought maybe its best to put a thread up and see what you all have idea wise!

my closet (a double closet that used to have sliding doors on it) has a tent in there for flowering and I have a friend coming over all next week to get other things done as far as venting out of the house.

he wants to make the entire closet a grow area, and the only thing stopping me is I am clueless as to how to make it so that light leaks don't happen.

so I have plastic sheeting for the floor, but the doors to the closet have been removed and I could put them back up but I don't think it makes any sense since there are definite spaces for light to get in, and I need to have easy access, so am thinking the doors need to remain off.

doing this would give the plants more space, and less height restrictions (he can raise the light from being hung from the ceiling or even raise the shelf that has all the fans and extractors/blowers etc., on it and that alone will help with height issues and still keep the hardware all in the closet. The 2nd tent will remain where it is, though since both tents need to be vented out of the house, how am I going to get ducting pulled "into" the closet without it feking up the "doorway opening" and not causing light leaks? I find it baffling so I tend to lean with "just stick with the tents" but am open to options to think about.

what would I hang or velcro or what to the opening so that it is somewhat sealed? I think I've asked this before and can not find the answers :( I remember someone sending me a link for a fabric or something that I can tape a zipper to?

and the other part is... the walls inside the closet are just painted flat white, should I be hanging some type of reflective material not only on the walls but also on the ceiling? (am not wanting to go up to the ceiling!!!) supposedly he is talking about some kind of white board that is reflective (but I don't think he understands all thats needed... so I need to check with my peeps here). Funny backstory............ he said "I loved that orange stuff you had" what??? oohhhh he was referring to a strain he tasted from me lol.... and I told him if he liked it so much then whats stopping you from getting your damn grow on..... well now he wants to get it started lol I told him I can only help if he uses whatever I use lol... so coco and gh nutes and he already knows what he needs for lights.... whoopie am excited for him!! I'll find out more about what size space he has so when the time comes (not yet lol), ya's can suggest what he needs in the way of hardware :)

there is no rush with this, once he gets the venting done I can stick with the tent and it may be best but am not sure...

any ideas anyone? even if you think its best to stick with the tents... that is absolutely an option!!

thanks & hugs!
  • Tokecrazy and Lucky_Cat like this

Please Visit Our Paid Sponsors

#2 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts
  • LocationTexas, The one and only

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hmmm..... Let me think of this for a bit. What is the closet size and the door size?
  • Tokecrazy, Lucky_Cat, HD96 and 1 other like this

#3 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

I just took measurements... boy am I about to confuse the crap out of you!

Closet Interior:
6' wide (this is with the extra space within the closet)
24" deep (my tent is 24" deep and I had to remove the closet doors because the top shelf stopped me from pushing the tent all the way to the rear... maybe if he can eventually move the shelf up it would also help? but think the doors have to stay off)
64" and I hit the stupid shelf!! (there is an additional 28" or so above where the shelf is right now) so 92" total floor to ceiling

Closet opening dimensions:
58" wide
79" tall from top of opening to bottom of floor

and like I said the sliding doors are off so basically they're 29" or so wide. I still have the metal track on above for hanging them again if I were to go that way.

this is really like I said, not sure what is better conditions for the garden, if it keeps it bugless better in a tent environment then i'll just concentrate on getting it vented out of the house and let this get done a bit down the line.

which way do you think is best to go? I want to get this done right lol or as right as i can :)

i'll keep adding things as I think of them also (aren't ya glad? lol)
gracias KD
  • Tokecrazy, Lucky_Cat and HD96 like this

#4 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

That, with one of your tents would give you a REAL perpetual grow. Just a matter of herding cats now. :lol:

#5 bish

bish

bish just bish

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

I don't care for tents much. They can sweat on the inside walls and create problems. Is this a rental?

#6 YoniKunda

YoniKunda

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on the Australian coastline

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

Hi poet :0) You could seal the door off with panda film and stick on an adhesive zipper, stick the zipper to the panda film (zipped closed position), open the zipper and with a sharp blade- cut a nice doorway throught the panda film. Viola, a nice lightproof zip/doorway. I have the same setup on my bloom room aka Darkroom ;0)) I will try to grab pics in the am ;0) http://www.nutrifiel...sories/zipseal/ Hope you all are well :0) YK
  • Tokecrazy and Lucky_Cat like this

#7 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Hi poet :0)

You could seal the door off with panda film and stick on an adhesive zipper, stick the zipper to the panda film (zipped closed position), open the zipper and with a sharp blade- cut a nice doorway throught the panda film. Viola, a nice lightproof zip/doorway.

I have the same setup on my bloom room aka Darkroom ;0))

I will try to grab pics in the am ;0)

http://www.nutrifiel...sories/zipseal/

Hope you all are well :0)

YK

Yeah, that's what I'm kinda thinking, http://www.homedepot...c1v&R=203122824 using two zippers, one on each side while leaving the plastic about a foot extra long to lay on the floor as a light seal. Only thing I'm not quite sure about is intake air for ventilation, I'm thinking a one square foot hole cut in the middle about two foot above the floor and use a two foot square piece as a flapper with a duct tape hinge.
  • Tokecrazy, HD96 and YoniKunda like this

#8 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

For what it's worth,I have to agree, ditch the tent and use the closet.
  • Tokecrazy and PoeticLife like this

#9 YoniKunda

YoniKunda

Enthusiast

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on the Australian coastline

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

I made up an internal flap from duct tape that overlaps the inside of the zip, helping to lightproof where the zipper teeth meet. Yep, an KD is onto it, leave a foot or so longer in length to seal the bottom of your doorway, it adds a lil strength/taughtness to the zipper/panda film too. A piece of 4x2" to anchor the bottom off helps also. My door is zipper up when closed, so I have to step through a Vee to enter when it's open.. As the zip does not unclip? (the nutrifield zipper) something to keep in mind also when you are trying to get a tub/plant in or out the bugger.
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#10 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

My door is zipper up when closed, so I have to step through a Vee to enter when it's open.. As the zip does not unclip? (the nutrifield zipper) something to keep in mind also when you are trying to get a tub/plant in or out the bugger.

That's why I was saying put a zipper on both sides , makes it easier to deal with.

#11 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

okay so 1st thing this week is to re-vent out the two tents (even if i do the entire closet down the road (soonish) I'll still need to vent the 2 tents out of the house. I was hoping to have one vent hole thru the roof and pull both tents ductings thru the one hole. but how is that possible unless I have him cut out yet another feking hole (the side of the closet that meets with the front face of the house) there's maybe enough space to cut a hole to pull the ducting thru without messing with the new opening.

KD do you have a good link for the mylar stuff I need to make the doorway with?
and do I use this inside lining all the closet walls as well?

I got the links for the zipper, and know you said I'd need 2, but am not understanding how or where they go.... prob reminding ya of the unicorn at this point huh? I see the tents and how the zippers work and am not understanding how 2 zippers opens the whole tent up? fun in my world trust me.
and I know i've seen people with plastic hung between growing spaces and that totally confused me since this is in my bedroom and yes there will be lights on.... will this be completley light proof?

another ? is that flap you said and others said I'll need.... is that to replace the "vents" in the tents that give the extra air flow? do I need an upgrade on my exhaust blower if I do this? I don't want to do the closet till I know what will be needed so I can start the "tweak fund".

and yeah when the 600wHps is up and running within the week, am I going to see a big difference in the heat/rh? should I wait to re-do the entire closet before I use it in that tent thats got the 400wHps in?

the mylar is that like a silver paper liner? I kinda thought it was flimsy for some reason and if I'm in and out of the closet daily was wondering how it holds up with constant use.

kd when I do this, do you suggest switching the veg tent to the bigger of the two tents? I'll have to go back and look in the beginning of everything what hardware I actually have and will they be enough to run in the 2nd tent... did that make sense to you?
an example is, I used to run the flowering girls with the 13/33 can filter, but when I replaced them I had gotten 2 longer and skinnier ones, am not sure with a bigger space, more heat, etc., is it going to suck the heat and smelleroo out.

too much thinking.... back to da bong.... a heavily medicated day ffs! will look for mylar and see what comes up!
so what the heck is my friend talking about a white particle board or something! gah! so is the mylar for all over the interior and doorway of the closet?

thank you everyone, i def understand how this takes awhile till ya get where you want it to go! one foot in front of the other... and helping hands are appreciated!!

thank you Yuni, HD, bish (no its not a rental.. am hanging on to it with my last fingernail lol)

thank you all.... am continuing this and will show it to my friend and see if he understands what needs doing.
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#12 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

OK that link for the zippers that is for a pack of 2. You need enough plastic http://www.hydroponics.net/i/136189 to cover the closet opening, you going to tape it to the wall with duct tape. You'll want to make it long so the tail of the plastic lay's on the floor for about a foot to stop light leaks. The zippers are made to be stuck the plastic then as you open the zipper you cut the plastic behind to actually create the opening.
Video

http://youtu.be/lH896rNTCl0
  • Tokecrazy and YoniKunda like this

#13 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

OK that link for the zippers that is for a pack of 2. You need enough plastic http://www.hydroponics.net/i/136189 to cover the closet opening, you going to tape it to the wall with duct tape. You'll want to make it long so the tail of the plastic lay's on the floor for about a foot to stop light leaks. The zippers are made to be stuck the plastic then as you open the zipper you cut the plastic behind to actually create the opening.
Video

http://youtu.be/lH896rNTCl0

thank you KD, I'm going to show that to my friend and hopefully he's "clearheaded" that day and understands what needs to be done!!!
that white plastic is light proof? because i'm not thinking of putting the doors back up and am worried if it will prevent the room light from penetrating it? (am only used to the thick black/silver stuff with the tents so am clueless if that is the single barrrier between the plants and the actual room space)
hope that made sense!

big hugs!
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#14 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Yes, it's light proof and the white side is a good reflector.
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#15 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

I know I'm sounding repetitive, but if its white/clear on both sides of the plastic, how is it light proof? so if the girls are in there flowering and the hps if Off, I can still keep the overhead light in the room on and it won't effect the plants?
I had thought one side was like silvery to reflect?
if he does this, do I need to paint the interior of the closet so the light reflects? meaning am I just hanging this plastic sheeting stuff and thats it?

I had already gotten plastic sheeting awhile ago (in hopes I can get this done... see was planning already) can I just use that for the interior floor of the closet then? there is carpet in the closet, am not sure if its better to remove the carpet and then lay the plastic down on the floor and somewhat up on the walls too right?

just want to make sure I have a list of everything I could use for this to happen., and the more I think about it, the more I realize I should prob wait till this batch is done flowering and then get it done before the next batch is ready to go in.... I think that would be best., I don't want any of the moving stuff and dust from drilling holes effect the girls in flower.

any help is appreciated... want to do this right... and have more meds!!! The girls in bloom should be completely done by mid april I think?

hugs!
  • Tokecrazy and HD96 like this

#16 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

It's black on one side and white on the other but in you already have black plastic you can use that.

#17 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

It's black on one side and white on the other but in you already have black plastic you can use that.

I just want to go over what I need and make sure I have this right:
  • Doorway panda film: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203478327?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=panda+film&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203478327#.UUS0WFejZu4 and this will be put up around the interior of the opening and just duct taped to the wall?
  • Opening: Use the double zippers to make a large opening with these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/203122824?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=zipper&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=203122824#.UUSmM1ejZu6 is that the correct panda film for cutting thru the doorway?
  • Panda film: it comes in different weights/thickness want to make sure I'm getting the right one and its just for the doorway right? and the shiney part goes facing inward of course right?
  • Interior of closet: right now its still just the "primer" paint in the interior of the closet. Do I need to paint it again a flat white? do i hang another reflective material on all walls? (want to keep cost down)
  • Closet floor: I have a roll of plastic sheeting and I can make a false bottom for inside the closet with it. Since the carpet is complete crap, its better to make a false bottom no?
  • Am I missing anything? please let me know so I can add it to the list when he goes to Home Depot or if I need it from elsewhere thenn I would need links so I know what to get.(please?)
ok thats it for todays brain picking... I think my friend may be going to HD over the next day or two so I can make sure I have everything I need!

gracias from Brain Picker Extraordinaire
  • Tokecrazy and KnuckleDragger like this

#18 GarageGrower

GarageGrower

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm coming late. FIRST thing is LIGHT. I read you have a 400 so I will assume that. The next thing u need is seeds and germination. For that you need dirt (or water if u do hydro) more water, pots and light. Plus a closet. Still no nutes or panda film. Now you have a seedling. Next is up potting. More dirt (or water), bigger pot, nutes, lights,and a timer. Now you have a plant. U don't need to waste $.

Edited by GarageGrower, 16 March 2013 - 01:44 PM.

• Tokecrazy, KnuckleDragger and HD96 like this

#19 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Poet you've pretty much have it right. It would be best to use Panda film on the walls but flat white paint will work fine. For the bottom, just take a piece of plastic large enough that you can fold the sides up using hospital corners (duct tape the corners) as a drip tray. EDIT: You can get the Panda film a little cheaper here, including shipping. http://www.hydroponics.net/i/136969

#20 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm coming late.

FIRST thing is LIGHT.

I read you have a 400 so I will assume that.

The next thing u need is seeds and germination. For that you need dirt (or water if u do hydro) more water, pots and light. Plus a closet. Still no nutes or panda film.

Now you have a seedling. Next is up potting. More dirt (or water), bigger pot, nutes, lights,and a timer.

Now you have a plant. U don't need to waste $.

rofl GG.... yeah all that pesky get some plants going stuff will be going on sooon!!! and the 400wHps is getting moved over to the other tent and a 600wHps is going in the converted closet space... its upgrade time again! (this is my final tweak, or so I think lol)
Hope all is well by you!

Poet you've pretty much have it right. It would be best to use Panda film on the walls but flat white paint will work fine. For the bottom, just take a piece of plastic large enough that you can fold the sides up using hospital corners (duct tape the corners) as a drip tray.

EDIT: You can get the Panda film a little cheaper here, including shipping. http://www.hydroponics.net/i/136969

Thanks so much KD!! I just ordered it :) step one complete!!!
Next is to just wait till the girls are finished, pull the entire tent down, let the mess begin rofl... and the next girls to flower will be under the 600 and in a bigger space! How many plants do you think I should try in there? would 5 be too much? should I keep it to 4? those ?'s are just wondering thoughts, now tell my girls to hurry up and finish so I can get this project done!!!
Big Hugs!!!! you rock!

as long as you're here lol, one more question... do you think I should use the current flower tent as the veg tent now? one will need to be dismantled and I have to decide which tent, since the veg tent is a few precious inches taller BUT i'd lose 8" precious inches in width. .just wondering which way you would go if you had a choice.... am thinking make the flower tent the secondary area to either veg/flower... think thats a good idea?

and one more before ya go.... if I have the 600hps going in the closet, should I start thinking of larger pots? I'm using 2gal pots, am not sure if the big paint buckets come bigger but am sure they do but can't go 5gal, no way jose, but am not sure with the more powerful light and bigger yeild will they reach their full potential in a 2 gal pot?

ok am setting you free.. no more ?'s tonite lol
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#21 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

If done right I think you can get 6 plants in your new flower area. As for tents, definitely go with the present flower tent you can bend a plant down if needed but floorspace is going to be more important.

#22 GarageGrower

GarageGrower

Medicine Maker

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

rofl GG.... yeah all that pesky get some plants going stuff will be going on sooon!!! and the 400wHps is getting moved over to the other tent and a 600wHps is going in the converted closet space...

Well maybe it's just me but public conversation about newbie crap is that. If ur not a newbie please don't take my time. Go and have a conversation with Knuckledragger. Privately. Don't agree with all his opinions.
  • Tokecrazy and HD96 like this

#23 KnuckleDragger

KnuckleDragger

Destroyer of Worlds

• Super Administrators
  • 21533 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

Well maybe it's just me but public conversation about newbie crap is that. If ur not a newbie please don't take my time. Go and have a conversation with Knuckledragger. Privately. Don't agree with all his opinions.

Hmmm.... so who peed in your cornflakes, and case you hadn't noticed, this is her thread and she's in the process of upgrading and starting her sixth grow.
  • HD96 likes this

#24 PoeticLife

PoeticLife

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8617 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

GarageGrower I find what you wrote offensive & rude, to say the least. My gardening skills were and are not up for debate, regardless if I've had one grow or 4., newbie? does it matter? The point is to help eachother provide what we need for ourselves.

The purpose of the thread was to get "help" for myself in how to do the project. If even one person is to benefit from a thread, that is the purpose, to help others or get help ourselves, which is what I did by putting up the thread, and that is what GreenPassion is about imho.

If you look back at your post#20 you addressed issues I was not asking about, germination, pots, uppotting, soil. I am talking about converting a space over, not how to start a grow as in sprouting seeds and medium used. Yet, I responded and wished you well. certainly a more adult and kinder way of conversing with another member.

If everyone had only "private conversations" then we would not be sharing information with others.

be well & be kind

Hmmm.... so who peed in your cornflakes, and case you hadn't noticed, this is her thread and she's in the process of upgrading and starting her sixth grow.

thanks KD, just finished with my 2cents., and KD thank you for always being there to help me as you do when things need to be figured out.
brip!! x's 10! rofl
  • Tokecrazy likes this

#25 HD96

HD96

Has many harvests

• Seasoned Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1346 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Poet, your doing an awesome job! KD, thank you for helping everyone!

Attached File  A.jpg   25.02KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users